What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 Waiver Wire Watch Thread (1 Viewer)

werdnoynek said:
Isn't this pretty pointless to start prior to week 4 being played?? It's a week 4 waiver thread until Sunday afternoon...
No. For anyone who has some roster flexibility or any "barely rosterable" players who are on a bye in week 5, they'd be smart to get a jump on week 5's likely WW darlings. I mean, grab the guy you want on Saturday or Sunday for free because waiting for Tuesday's waiver's means you might miss him due to waiver priority, might have to pay something for him (versus free now), etc. I think lots of people do this, especially with DST.
Not knocking the thread, but I still don't understand the value of discussing WK5 waivers before the games are played.

If you have bye slots to cover in WK5, then yes, looking to fill them now can be a good preemptive move. But you can do so now from players available -- this discussion of best bye week plugs could be a good one, but is more aptly titled "Week 5 Bye Fillers -- who you got?" or some such thing.

If you are predicting who is going to go off in WK 4 and can be the top waiver picks, great -- but this is simply comparing thoughts on projections and situation. In the end, great to know what people are thinking coming into the week, but my waiver decisions in WK 5 are guided more by the reality that occurs in WK 4 than by what people are guessing is going to happen.

At best, it's confusing (to me, anyway) see a week 5 waiver pickup thread that isn't based on wk 4 performance, and at worst, annoying to have to scroll through pages of guesses until I get to the opinions formed by fact and what they saw watching the games (though this thread title is a little less confusing in that regard).

:2cents:

^^^^

The value is in getting guys a week early when they can be picked up as free agents (possibly) as opposed to having to hope no one with a higher waiver priority gets them.

Without trying to cover all the bases...

In the OP, I did mention this has special value for FCFS waiver leagues... some leagues rely on those for all waivers and they move really fast... it pays to know what might happen before it happens... also, as it's happening, you can pick up a guy

regardless, this thread seems to be of some value because it got pinned. just thought I'd do it again this week.

If you have any suggestions for next week and how to construct the thread, I'll take a PM. Or, if you feel a discussion is needed, post here.

Long story short, there are a lot of different kinds of leagues. Let's try and keep things moving and talk about players.

^^^^

The value is in getting guys a week early when they can be picked up as free agents (possibly) as opposed to having to hope no one with a higher waiver priority gets them.
So what you are saying is that the guy I picked up yesterday is a week 7 waiver gem?

Starks.

Since I just traded for Lacy he's gonna get hurt again and Starks will be the #1 waiver priority this week.

maybe a separate thread titled Week 5 Preemptive WW Thread.
Some here like the IDEA of this thread. Whatever the title, anybody looking for something like this will find it. The name could be better, but it's useful either way.

"Week 5 Preemptive WW Thread" probably describes it better.

Some here like the IDEA of this thread. Whatever the title, anybody looking for something like this will find it. The name could be better, but it's useful either way.

Doesn't have to be separate thread.

When the OP starts it each week, just title it Pre-emptive and let float.

Once games are over, OP rename it Watch List and pin. Remove previous week's.

Rinse/repeat.

Problem solved.

PhantomJB said:
VandyMan said:
Alonzo Mosely said:

Doesn't have to be separate thread.

When the OP starts it each week, just title it Pre-emptive and let float.

Once games are over, OP rename it Watch List and pin. Remove previous week's.

Rinse/repeat.

Problem solved.
Perfect solution.

kingmalaki said:
^^^^

I'm not sure why people aren't understanding this.

Stompin said:
werdnoynek said:
Isn't this pretty pointless to start prior to week 4 being played?? It's a week 4 waiver thread until Sunday afternoon...
No. For anyone who has some roster flexibility or any "barely rosterable" players who are on a bye in week 5, they'd be smart to get a jump on week 5's likely WW darlings. I mean, grab the guy you want on Saturday or Sunday for free because waiting for Tuesday's waiver's means you might miss him due to waiver priority, might have to pay something for him (versus free now), etc. I think lots of people do this, especially with DST.
Not knocking the thread, but I still don't understand the value of discussing WK5 waivers before the games are played.

If you have bye slots to cover in WK5, then yes, looking to fill them now can be a good preemptive move. But you can do so now from players available -- this discussion of best bye week plugs could be a good one, but is more aptly titled "Week 5 Bye Fillers -- who you got?" or some such thing.

If you are predicting who is going to go off in WK 4 and can be the top waiver picks, great -- but this is simply comparing thoughts on projections and situation. In the end, great to know what people are thinking coming into the week, but my waiver decisions in WK 5 are guided more by the reality that occurs in WK 4 than by what people are guessing is going to happen.

At best, it's confusing (to me, anyway) see a week 5 waiver pickup thread that isn't based on wk 4 performance, and at worst, annoying to have to scroll through pages of guesses until I get to the opinions formed by fact and what they saw watching the games (though this thread title is a little less confusing in that regard).

:2cents:
You can just wait until 1:00 PM Sunday and starting reading the thread at that point.

If you use the jump to first unread thread option, you'll never see all the speculative posts.

The most important part of preparing for Week 5 waivers/FAAB is to take a very careful look at who was DROPPED in your league this week. The Week 4 byes forced some tough decisions and there are players I see in each league that will start my list.

AND you can get started on it while you are watching the games/scores and later look at how some potential adds did today

Watching Andre Holmes today. Loved what I saw last year from him. Drafted him as my last pick WR5 and held him so far . Now with D Moore out and Holmes starting he is someone to watch today.

Don't tell anyone, but Prater is going to be the Broncos kicker after next week, if you've got a spot to grab him with now.

See, now all those suggestions made prior to the games today are pointless. It's a brainstorming session that does ZERO good. Save the week 6 waiver wire thread until week 5 is over.

See, now all those suggestions made prior to the games today are pointless. It's a brainstorming session that does ZERO good. Save the week 6 waiver wire thread until week 5 is over.
Reaves sure is a good one to have picked up already with DWill hurt.

Odell Beckham. Don't really care if the guy doesn't practice, this is the year of the rookie WR and the Giants are showing signs of life. Very polished for a rookie and can make an impact in the return game.

Probably mentioned, but I like Austin Davis if he starts against PHI week 5 in 2 QB leagues and perhaps for a desperation start in week 5. PHI yet again made another QB look amazing in Kaepernick week 4, Cousins before him. If Shaun Hill goes, I could see him putting up stats as well, but a little more wary.

towney said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Second this.
Not that he's not a definite add, but ATL's D is terrible. I'm thinking we just saw his ceiling this season. Of course, I didn't start him and lost by 15 (he had 16+ in my leauge). So, yeah, I'm bitter.

I don't agree that is his ceiling. I can see a few more passes his way which will give him some room in PPR maybe some TDs too

Davante Adams had a bad box score, but worth noting that he had a 30+ yard touchdown called back.
Was about to post this, I was critical of the guy but I'm looking to add now.
Yes. Was also targeted on a screen close to the goal line, but was wrapped up quickly on a nice tackle. His dynasty arrow is pointed up. We have to keep in mind he's a rookie and this was only his fourth game.

THIS.It's both.

Especially for FCFS waiver leagues.

My league, for example, is over 15 years old with small rosters and we've always been totally FCFS, even during games on Sunday. Makes paying attention on Sundays very important. There are lots of players available and you have to be on the cutting edge. Don't know if there are a lot of leagues out there like mine but it rewards actually watching football and staying informed.
I don't think there are a lot like that and I personally refuse to set any up like that or join any that are like that, because I refuse to have zero opportunity to pick somebody up simply because I don't plan to spend ~17 hours a week every single week watching NFL games.I can't get behind a league where you cannot pick up the valuable addition because you were outside playing with your daughter when somebody got injured and within 2 minutes the guy is gone
"This." (The "This." fad is so cute on this board.)

Couldn't agree more. Thank heavens my leagues aren't FCFS all the time, and would never join a league with that setup and can't imagine why a league would be run that way. I am hopeful that all the time FCFS leagues are in the minority.

Edited to add: I can't believe this thread was started BEFORE Week 4 games. Lots of pointless bumps and posts in this thread, and now I realize why I had to sift through the first page of a potentially helpful thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, the unnecessary bumping of the thread over and over doesn't need to happen.

Denard Robinson of Jacksonville is a guy I'm looking at in addition to Davante Adams and Jerick McKinnon.

In addition, the unnecessary bumping of the thread over and over doesn't need to happen.

Denard Robinson of Jacksonville is a guy I'm looking at in addition to Davante Adams and Jerick McKinnon.
Those 3 & Forsett are available in my non-ppr league, who the best?

Users who are viewing this thread