What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weeks like this are why... (1 Viewer)

rocketsauce

Footballguy
Here we are in week 14, many fantasy league's playoffs started this week, and its obvious to anyone on this site that a ton of fantasy studs didn't deliver, got hurt, etc.

Which is why commissioners and owners alike need to work to be a part of league's that reward regular season performance in a better way. I just read in another thread that in "most" 12 team leagues, 6 teams make the playoffs. This may be the "norm" right now, but as an owner and commissioner, I'll never willingly play in a money league with that format. HALF of the teams do not deserve to be in the playoffs. This isn't the NBA. 4 teams should get in, because they earned it in the regular season. Chances are your 6 seed in a lot of those leagues falls right around (or even below) .500 and shouldn't get into the playoffs with a record like that. Of course you could argue that if you have 6 teams in, your top 2 teams get rewarded by having a bye, and avoiding "this" week. I for one do not WANT a bye! After all, we only get 16 weeks of this enjoyment. Don't take away one of those weeks from me while I have to watch my team sit on the sideline.

Another points: Cumulative playoff weeks. I was introduced to this concept by ESPN's fantasy service probably 5 or 6 years ago, and absolutely loved it. You let 4 teams into the playoffs, and play two 2 week cumulative playoff spots. This accomplishes a few things. It minimizes the chance for one bad luck week costing you a fantasy title, or one bad first half concussion ending your playoff dreams. Sure, you laid a 90 point egg in week 15...now come back in week 16, swing for the fences, and put up 200 and try to squeak out a win. I personally LOVE this format. The owners that should be playing are still playing, luck is minimized (tough to do in fantasy football while keeping things competitive and fun), and it gives you a chance to tweak your lineup and make some home run swings if need be.

These are just my personal opinions. But as a fantasy owner and commissioner, I'd love to find more leagues that are suited to what I consider are some very fair and much needed tweaks to the "norm" in fantasy football today. I know I'll get some replies to f off and stick to my leagues, and I'll get some responses to go to an all-play or points only or victory points format if I want to minimize luck. I've tried all that. I enjoy the head to head environment in the regular season because of the competition and "smack-talk" feeling it lends to it...but when I get to my playoffs, I want things to be fair, and the best team to get the best chance to come out on top.

Man I'm gonna miss fantasy football in a couple weeks.

I don't know...I like having more teams get in than 33%, as the more teams that have a shot, the more interested owners longer in the season.

Only problem with ESPN format (2 week playoffs) is you have to play week 17, or start playoffs week 13. Starting them week 13 would mean only 12 regular season weeks... But as someone who got knocked out this week I do agree its pretty anticlimactic when the whole year just ends due to one bad week.

Yeah, agreed, that was the only downer to that ESPN format. We tweaked it and went with a 12 week regular season schedule, and then Semi's in 13/14 and Championship in 15/16. We do a consolation tourney for the 8 teams that didn't get in, paying out 5% of the pot (which is usually close to 1/2 of the entry fee, depending how much you spent in FAAB and Trades).

Only problem with ESPN format (2 week playoffs) is you have to play week 17, or start playoffs week 13. Starting them week 13 would mean only 12 regular season weeks... But as someone who got knocked out this week I do agree its pretty anticlimactic when the whole year just ends due to one bad week.
You mean like it sometimes happens in the NFL?Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thoughts in this thread. But like it or lump it, luck is inextricably a part of FF. While it bites to get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round, it's also what makes this sport fun for me -- the variability of Any Given Sunday carrying over to my fantasy team.

Skill comes in when trying to make the playoffs: fighting to have a perfect draft, making good adjustments on the fly via waivers and trades, and ably playing matchups during the season. But once you're in the playoffs, all bets are off. You lose, you're gone, just like it is in real life.

My league's playoffs allow the to 6 of 14 into the playoffs (two division winners and four of the remaining teams with the best record). Top 4 receive a gradiated payout to take the sting out of a having the top team lose in RD 2 of the playoffs.

My league's playoffs allow the to 6 of 14 into the playoffs (two division winners and four of the remaining teams with the best record). Top 4 receive a gradiated payout to take the sting out of a having the top team lose in RD 2 of the playoffs.
Thats all I'm saying. You let in the right amount of teams, and you reward teams appropriately for the regular season performance.

40% to the playoffs. 4 out of 10. 18 man rosters and allow keepers. Works great. I like that "2 week" playoff idea though... interesting.

It's a game of luck, just like any form of gambling. You got unlucky on a 50/50 gamble. What exactly is the complaint here?

Our dynasty league 6th seed, which gets in on points scored as a wild card, was 4-9. He was the 4th highest scoring team.

He just won his wild card round match up. :(

I dont understand the complaint. 6 to the playoffs with division winners getting a bye. Pay out to the top 4 teams. Win the division at least get your money back.

The leagues I'm in have no playoffs. It is all regular season. One runs til the end of the regular season, and one runs all the way through the NFL playoffs. We do this because the best team throughout the year with the best record should win the league. They drafted the right people and made the right moves so they should win. We feel just because someone's players don't produce one day, it shouldn't reflect the final outcome in the week. I know my leagues are in the minority in doing this, it just seems to be the fairest way to make sure the best overall team wins. Also, it keeps everyone involved for the entire season.

The leagues I'm in have no playoffs. It is all regular season. One runs til the end of the regular season, and one runs all the way through the NFL playoffs. We do this because the best team throughout the year with the best record should win the league. They drafted the right people and made the right moves so they should win. We feel just because someone's players don't produce one day, it shouldn't reflect the final outcome in the week. I know my leagues are in the minority in doing this, it just seems to be the fairest way to make sure the best overall team wins. Also, it keeps everyone involved for the entire season.
Yeah, I bet the 2-12 teams are really out there scouring the waiver wires. Total points has the same proble, people who fall way behind get bored. The only way to avoid losing interest is to let everyone into the playoffs, but then who would pay attention to the first 12 weeks? People losing interest happens.

It's a game of luck, just like any form of gambling. You got unlucky on a 50/50 gamble. What exactly is the complaint here?
There are a few things wrong with this statement, most specifically the bolded. Even in the smallest of leagues with the smallest of rosters, it is not a 50/50 gamble.

I dont understand the complaint. 6 to the playoffs with division winners getting a bye. Pay out to the top 4 teams. Win the division at least get your money back.
:goodposting: Exactly what we do. Regular Season division champs AND/OR Regular Season points champ get the entry fee back, as does the toilet bowl winner (playoff involving the bottom six - two byes in that bracket as well). Runner Up gets 2x entry fee, Champion gets 50% of entry fees (12 teamer). We roll over the transaction costs to pay for the draft party the following summer.We ain't building rockets here, folks.

Life's not fair, why should fantasy football be fair?

So your team had a bad week, you should have drafted a little better for the playoffs.

:goodposting:

Guess I have to go against the cumulative points. I try to run my league like the NFL. We are looking at 15-teams, 3 divisions. 6 teams get in. Top seeded division winners get byes. #3 seed division winner has to play in a wildcard game. Now of course we would have payouts throughout the year so it ain't so bad. We pay high scorer weeks 1-13, division winners, Trash bowl winner, and #1 and #2 finisher.

I guess I don't like cumulative points, because bad weeks are part of the game. If you have a key injury in the game (See GB), so sorry better luck next year. Just like the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we are in week 14, many fantasy league's playoffs started this week, and its obvious to anyone on this site that a ton of fantasy studs didn't deliver, got hurt, etc.

Which is why commissioners and owners alike need to work to be a part of league's that reward regular season performance in a better way. I just read in another thread that in "most" 12 team leagues, 6 teams make the playoffs. This may be the "norm" right now, but as an owner and commissioner, I'll never willingly play in a money league with that format. HALF of the teams do not deserve to be in the playoffs. This isn't the NBA. 4 teams should get in, because they earned it in the regular season. Chances are your 6 seed in a lot of those leagues falls right around (or even below) .500 and shouldn't get into the playoffs with a record like that. Of course you could argue that if you have 6 teams in, your top 2 teams get rewarded by having a bye, and avoiding "this" week. I for one do not WANT a bye! After all, we only get 16 weeks of this enjoyment. Don't take away one of those weeks from me while I have to watch my team sit on the sideline.

Another points: Cumulative playoff weeks. I was introduced to this concept by ESPN's fantasy service probably 5 or 6 years ago, and absolutely loved it. You let 4 teams into the playoffs, and play two 2 week cumulative playoff spots. This accomplishes a few things. It minimizes the chance for one bad luck week costing you a fantasy title, or one bad first half concussion ending your playoff dreams. Sure, you laid a 90 point egg in week 15...now come back in week 16, swing for the fences, and put up 200 and try to squeak out a win. I personally LOVE this format. The owners that should be playing are still playing, luck is minimized (tough to do in fantasy football while keeping things competitive and fun), and it gives you a chance to tweak your lineup and make some home run swings if need be.

These are just my personal opinions. But as a fantasy owner and commissioner, I'd love to find more leagues that are suited to what I consider are some very fair and much needed tweaks to the "norm" in fantasy football today. I know I'll get some replies to f off and stick to my leagues, and I'll get some responses to go to an all-play or points only or victory points format if I want to minimize luck. I've tried all that. I enjoy the head to head environment in the regular season because of the competition and "smack-talk" feeling it lends to it...but when I get to my playoffs, I want things to be fair, and the best team to get the best chance to come out on top.

I think this where things get a bit contradictive (is that a word?)What is fair about essentially giving 2nd chances to teams that have off weeks?

I get "wanting" the best teams to win, but you play 1 way all season long, then when you get to the playoffs you change things up to help the teams that had better years?

This is why it is fantasy, because you can tweak any league to your liking, but I just don't like the thought of having one method in play all year long (H2H) then going to a cumulative score in the playoffs.

Seems like a lot of fantasy noobs in here complaining about having the best team and losing because of studs getting hurt and other things beyond their control. Welcome to fantasy football where anything can happen and even if your an underdog you can still win on any given Sunday. Its sort of like the NFL. I have had years where I was clearly the best team in the league and got put out early and other years where I was just lucky as sin for winning it all. Happens/ move on

Still not sure why more leagues do not utilize a total points system. To me, the best way to find out who has the best team is by awarding the title to the team with the most overall points come seasons end. Nobody really can gripe about having one bad week. We still have playoffs, with the playoff winner getting 25% of the pot while the other 75% goes to the overall champion.

My league has 12 teams and plays for an equal payout between total scoring champ (regular season) and the playoff champion. We also play our playoffs during the actual NFL playoffs. 8 teams, regular season record and tiebreakers decide seeding. Top seeds get to keep more players from their regular season roster and they pick first to draft the rest of their team.

Noone would argue that the "Fantasy Bowl Champion" is more deserving than the "Total Points Champion". The playoffs are a crapshoot for alot of reasons. But everyone in the league loves it. It is more fun to win in the playoffs, but just as rewarding to win the scoring title.

We have six team playoffs and only pay the top three. But the two division winners play an exhibition game during their bye week for 10% of the overall league pot.

We implemement a home field advantage system for the playoffs. 12 teams -- 6 teams in. Top two seeds have byes in week 14.

week 14:

Seed 3 vs. Seed 6 (Seed 3 gets 6pts home field advantage)

Seed 4 vs. Seed 5 (Seed 4 gets 2 pts home field advantage)

Week 15:

Seed 1 vs. lowest remaining seed (Home field advantage calculated as 2x difference in seeds .. e.g. Seed 1 vs 4 = 6pts advantage)

Seed 2 vs. highest remaining seed (Home field advantage calculated same as above)

Week 16 (Championship)

No home field advantage

Still not sure why more leagues do not utilize a total points system.
Because it's boring.
Not at all. I'm in both types of leagues this year and I can say that the overall race is just as exciting. Three teams still have a shot at it. What's better is that the best overall team will win and there will be no room for griping like in this thread. Also, you didn't quote my entire post. We still have playoffs for 25% of the pot. So owners who are in the race and owners that are out of the race still are into it and have something to play for. I am in 3 leagues, none of which are the same and this is by far my favorite setup.

Why dont you just pay out some of your pot to the regular season champion? All my leagues do that and we're pretty content.

My league does the same thing. No playoffs and we go all the way through week 17. We do have head-to-head matchups, but you get modest points per head-to-head win - cumulative points wins the title.Rewards season long performance rather than a hot team in the playoffs. The only downside is that if you don't have a good team, you can be out of it pretty early without the ability to get hot down the stretch and make up for it.

Typical thread you see this time of year, you know going thru the season all year to prepare for the playoffs. "All you have to do is get in", its not just a phrase the ladies say you kno, it means something in fantasy ball.

I got thru my first rounds this week, all of them, so I have a different point of view. :thumbup:

Because it's boring.
Not at all.
Okay, let me rephrase. It's boring to the vast majority of fantasy football owners who strongly prefer the dynamics of head-to-head.
We have playoffs in this league. It is just the overall champ is awarded the title, while the playoffs are still around to add intrigue. Do I need to rephrase? Have fun griping and listening to griping every year that the best team in your league does not win! :shrug:

The league I started about 10 years ago:(12 Team - $50 entry each)The money is spread around but you can hit multiple payouts to rack up a good percentage of the $.

The payoffs will break down like this:Overall Points Winner: $180Overall Points 2nd: $80Overall Points 3rd: $40Superbowl Winner: $130Superbowl Loser: $60Survivor Winner: $80Survivor Loser: $30 Overall 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will go to the teams with the highest total points through week #16. Superbowl winner and runner-up will be decided in the playoffs. In the Survivor Competition, the team with the lowest score each week is eliminated. (This is totally separate from the overall points competition and the playoffs, even if you get kicked off in the first week you are still in for overall points and playoffs prizes) The competition will begin with the first team being kicked out after the week 3 games. (Based only on the team scores in week 3) The final 2 teams left will face off in week 13 one week before the playoffs start in week 14.

The irony is thick here as you advocate against single elimination playoffs.

Still not sure why more leagues do not utilize a total points system. To me, the best way to find out who has the best team is by awarding the title to the team with the most overall points come seasons end. Nobody really can gripe about having one bad week. We still have playoffs, with the playoff winner getting 25% of the pot while the other 75% goes to the overall champion.
Because it blows when there's no head-to-head competition with other teams. That's just the human element, the week to week drama of a head to head matchup. Also, this year in my dynasty league the total points leader is clearly no longer the strongest team in the league. He got off to a jaw-dropping start powered by Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, McFadden, Tomlinson, Fitzgerald, Harvin, Calvin, Gates, etc., but many of those guys have faded and he's vulnerable in playoff time despite still being the overall points leader. That makes it fun.

Because it's boring.
Not at all.
Okay, let me rephrase. It's boring to the vast majority of fantasy football owners who strongly prefer the dynamics of head-to-head.
We have playoffs in this league. It is just the overall champ is awarded the title, while the playoffs are still around to add intrigue. Do I need to rephrase? Have fun griping and listening to griping every year that the best team in your league does not win! :)
What makes you so sure that people aren't willing to accept the "best" team not winning every year? It's not like the NFL Champs are always the point differential champs, right?

We award a cash prize )2x the entry fee) to the overall points leader during the regualar season and then we have typical "top 6" with a bye week for the top 2 and a payout for 1st, 2nd, and a consolation game. Seems pretty fair.

I have had great teams that got bounced early or in the title game. I have had teams that squeaked in and made some noise. I don't play for the money at all but I think giving the regular season points winner some money makes it fair. If they go on and win, it seems fair since they were good all year. If they get upended, they still won about as much as the overall winner since they won their divisional money, the points, bonus, etc.

So, if you play for the money, you're probably appeased by this type of set up. If you're like me and just play because you love to play, there's really nothing worth changing because the loss is still a loss. You could do the cummulatvie thing and that probably sounds great if you're a high scoring juggernaut team all season but for most people, its that chance that "on any given Sunday" that makes it so great.

I know from experience, even when you have a DOMINATING team, when it comes down to "one and done" time, that's the exciting/anxious feeling that makes it so fun/torturous. It would lose something, IMO, if it became a situation where you just put it on autopilot down the stretch.

Here we are in week 14, many fantasy league's playoffs started this week, and its obvious to anyone on this site that a ton of fantasy studs didn't deliver, got hurt, etc.Which is why commissioners and owners alike need to work to be a part of league's that reward regular season performance in a better way. I just read in another thread that in "most" 12 team leagues, 6 teams make the playoffs. This may be the "norm" right now, but as an owner and commissioner, I'll never willingly play in a money league with that format. HALF of the teams do not deserve to be in the playoffs. This isn't the NBA. 4 teams should get in, because they earned it in the regular season. Chances are your 6 seed in a lot of those leagues falls right around (or even below) .500 and shouldn't get into the playoffs with a record like that. Of course you could argue that if you have 6 teams in, your top 2 teams get rewarded by having a bye, and avoiding "this" week. I for one do not WANT a bye! After all, we only get 16 weeks of this enjoyment. Don't take away one of those weeks from me while I have to watch my team sit on the sideline. Another points: Cumulative playoff weeks. I was introduced to this concept by ESPN's fantasy service probably 5 or 6 years ago, and absolutely loved it. You let 4 teams into the playoffs, and play two 2 week cumulative playoff spots. This accomplishes a few things. It minimizes the chance for one bad luck week costing you a fantasy title, or one bad first half concussion ending your playoff dreams. Sure, you laid a 90 point egg in week 15...now come back in week 16, swing for the fences, and put up 200 and try to squeak out a win. I personally LOVE this format. The owners that should be playing are still playing, luck is minimized (tough to do in fantasy football while keeping things competitive and fun), and it gives you a chance to tweak your lineup and make some home run swings if need be. These are just my personal opinions. But as a fantasy owner and commissioner, I'd love to find more leagues that are suited to what I consider are some very fair and much needed tweaks to the "norm" in fantasy football today. I know I'll get some replies to f off and stick to my leagues, and I'll get some responses to go to an all-play or points only or victory points format if I want to minimize luck. I've tried all that. I enjoy the head to head environment in the regular season because of the competition and "smack-talk" feeling it lends to it...but when I get to my playoffs, I want things to be fair, and the best team to get the best chance to come out on top.Man I'm gonna miss fantasy football in a couple weeks.
We have a 2 week super bowl, weeks 16 and 17. It's great.Week 17 gets a bad rap around here, but we've always played our super bowl that week and we always will. Most of the time the affect is has is overblown and there have been bigtime performances on week 17 that most fantasy leaguers don't get to play a part in due to their season being over.And if there are any week 17 problems, the fact that it's week 16 and 17 dilutes that.

:cry: Just win baby.

My best team lost and my worst team won. Take the good with the bad.

Why dont you just pay out some of your pot to the regular season champion? All my leagues do that and we're pretty content.
Doesn't everybody do this? My league splits the pot evenly between regular season winners and playoff winners. Maybe I should ask instead, why wouldn't you do this?

Because it blows when there's no head-to-head competition with other teams. That's just the human element, the week to week drama of a head to head matchup. Also, this year in my dynasty league the total points leader is clearly no longer the strongest team in the league. He got off to a jaw-dropping start powered by Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, McFadden, Tomlinson, Fitzgerald, Harvin, Calvin, Gates, etc., but many of those guys have faded and he's vulnerable in playoff time despite still being the overall points leader. That makes it fun.
I agree, that is why we still have a playoff and a playoff payout. I don't hate the pure playoff format, but I always hear complaining like some in this thread, in the leagues where we have the straight playoff champ. Just saying that out of the 3 leagues I do, I have the most fun in the total points champ, playoff w/secondary payout format. Seems the most fair to me and still has the excitement of the playoffs.

What makes you so sure that people aren't willing to accept the "best" team not winning every year? It's not like the NFL Champs are always the point differential champs, right?
1.) Threads like this and hearing people around my office in other leagues and fellow league mates complain.2.) I really hate the real life football/fantasy football comparison. There are no offensive lines, no points for yardage and/or receptions.

Doesn't everybody do this? My league splits the pot evenly between regular season winners and playoff winners. Maybe I should ask instead, why wouldn't you do this?
I agree, there has to be a good payout for the overall points champ, because from beginning to end, they put up the most points and are probably the most deserving. There also should be a good payout for the playoff champ to make it interesting and exciting for those not in the overall points race. The only downside to a 50/50 split is how do you crown your "league champ" if there are two even money winners?

[sarcasm] I beat the 1 seed as the 8 seed this week and boy do I feel bad about it! [/sarcasm]

I've also been on the flip side of this plenty of times. Its funny how we forget how fantasy works when its our team on the losing end.

There will always be things that don't seem fair.

I play in a H2H league where I was the highest scoring team. In fact, only 1 team was within 100 points of me. But thanks to some horrendous timing I finished 6-7. Did I deserve a playoff spot?

Users who are viewing this thread