What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Westbrook Versus The Giants (1 Viewer)

SeniorVBDStudent

Footballguy
If he is as healthy as last week, I like McNabb vs The Giants over Garcia versus Carolina.

I've been unable to find any meaningful updates on his status; please post any info here....

I'm hoping for 10 points out of Westy in this game (nonppr), and I'll consider myself lucky if I get it.

I'm hoping for 10 points out of Westy in this game (nonppr), and I'll consider myself lucky if I get it.
To me, it's the classic Westbrook Paradox. You can't get an accurate gage on Westy before gametime, and that's critical information when going up against the Giants.Healthy or close to it: 100 yards total and 1.5 TDs; Eagles have at least a chance to play wellSignificantly dinged: 55 yards total and 0 TDs; McNabb looks like crap on a stick

To me this game is more about the oline giving McNabb time to throw the ball.

We all saw what "Good McNabb" can do for Westbrook. If McNabb is on his game, then Westbrook will produce. I just don't see the "Good McNabb" showing up. I think that the Giants pass rush will confuse and frustrate McNabb, thus leading to a bad game for Westbrook.

As for Westbrook's health, it's a non concern. If he can play a game on three days rest, then he will play against the Giants on 9 days rest.

Brian Westbrook has a few extra days to rest and just looked great last game.

Philly runs into the Giants week 14 so expectations should be lower than normal but Westy seems to be a 'start with confidence' this week.

To me this game is more about the oline giving McNabb time to throw the ball.

We all saw what "Good McNabb" can do for Westbrook. If McNabb is on his game, then Westbrook will produce. I just don't see the "Good McNabb" showing up. I think that the Giants pass rush will confuse and frustrate McNabb, thus leading to a bad game for Westbrook.

As for Westbrook's health, it's a non concern. If he can play a game on three days rest, then he will play against the Giants on 9 days rest.
The notion that McNabb drives Westbrook's performance versus the other way around is unconventional.Perhaps it all comes down to whether or not Westbrook eats enough SUPREME PROTEIN BARS

:thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't worry about his health this time. he looked good and has a few extra days to heal up.

I'm rollin' with him and putting MBIII on the pine vs. Pittsburgh. Barber on the road at Pitt just scares me to death!!

Rounders said:
To me this game is more about the oline giving McNabb time to throw the ball.We all saw what "Good McNabb" can do for Westbrook. If McNabb is on his game, then Westbrook will produce. I just don't see the "Good McNabb" showing up. I think that the Giants pass rush will confuse and frustrate McNabb, thus leading to a bad game for Westbrook. As for Westbrook's health, it's a non concern. If he can play a game on three days rest, then he will play against the Giants on 9 days rest.
I see it more as " see waht a run game can do for Mcnabb.. Hopefully Philly is now clued in that when you run effectively the passing game can work as well.

Rounders said:
To me this game is more about the oline giving McNabb time to throw the ball.We all saw what "Good McNabb" can do for Westbrook. If McNabb is on his game, then Westbrook will produce. I just don't see the "Good McNabb" showing up. I think that the Giants pass rush will confuse and frustrate McNabb, thus leading to a bad game for Westbrook. As for Westbrook's health, it's a non concern. If he can play a game on three days rest, then he will play against the Giants on 9 days rest.
I think the agressiveness of the Giants D line could actually help Westbrook on dump off passes and screens, McNabb won't need a whole lot of time for that but it should definitly be an interesting match up

What I was trying to say with "Good McNabb" is that when he's on his game, the offense is clicking. Teams gameplan around Westbrook, and if McNabb can't pull his own, the Eagles are in trouble. If "Good McNabb" shows up, he makes plays and keeps defenses honest, which then opens lanes and the running game.

The feed off of each other and need each other to be successful.

After last week, I'm officially back on the westy bandwagon. He looked healthy, barely got hit, and had 3 extra days of rest. When he's been healthy, he's been great.

If the Eagles play the gints close, it will be because of westbrook, so no worries there.

If the Eagles get blown out (which hasn't happened much this year) even if the eagles have trouble scoring, westbrook should have his share of receiving yards.

So he's a must start for me once again, just in time for the playoffs!

After last week, I'm officially back on the westy bandwagon. He looked healthy, barely got hit, and had 3 extra days of rest. When he's been healthy, he's been great. If the Eagles play the gints close, it will be because of westbrook, so no worries there.If the Eagles get blown out (which hasn't happened much this year) even if the eagles have trouble scoring, westbrook should have his share of receiving yards. So he's a must start for me once again, just in time for the playoffs!
This is really what motivated me to start this thread....I want to convince myself to bench McNabb in favor of Garcia @ Carolina, but Westbrook looked FANTASTIC in the Cardinals game, and Garcia's upside is limited versus DFMcNabb....

Q: Westbrook Versus The Giants, Whatcha got?

A: A bye week, thank God, so I don't have to worry about it! :shrug:

Seriously...he's back, and is a must-start for any owner. Expectations should be somewhat tempered though as the matchup is far less then ideal. 100 total yards and a TD is a reasonable expectation.

What I was trying to say with "Good McNabb" is that when he's on his game, the offense is clicking. Teams gameplan around Westbrook, and if McNabb can't pull his own, the Eagles are in trouble. If "Good McNabb" shows up, he makes plays and keeps defenses honest, which then opens lanes and the running game. The feed off of each other and need each other to be successful.
Not really...some of the finest performances of Westbrook's career came with Garcia at the helm. That's not to say McNabb's solely to blame; Reid seems to call a much more balanced game when Donovan is sidelined.

Q: Westbrook Versus The Giants, Whatcha got?A: A bye week, thank God, so I don't have to worry about it! :D Seriously...he's back, and is a must-start for any owner. Expectations should be somewhat tempered though as the matchup is far less then ideal. 100 total yards and a TD is a reasonable expectation.
He's only back if Reid proves that he can stick with the run in a close game. It's not so much Westbrook that worries me. It's more the playcalling. I remember several weeks ago a lot of people thought Braylon was back after his big game. Look at how that worked out. Regarldess, I agree that the upside for Westy is too high to think about benching him.

I think the agressiveness of the Giants D line could actually help Westbrook on dump off passes and screens, McNabb won't need a whole lot of time for that but it should definitly be an interesting match up
It will be interesting to see how the Eagles approach their defensive game plan this week. You're right...if they press McNabb with their typical array of blitz packages...then I would think projections for Westbrook would tick 'up', as dumps/screens turn into 20+ yard plays.However, I think the Eagles would be better off hanging back, putting a spy on Westy and make McNabb beat them through the air.

Q: Westbrook Versus The Giants, Whatcha got?A: A bye week, thank God, so I don't have to worry about it! :shock: Seriously...he's back, and is a must-start for any owner. Expectations should be somewhat tempered though as the matchup is far less then ideal. 100 total yards and a TD is a reasonable expectation.
i hope so, want to have confidence in starting him

Q: Westbrook Versus The Giants, Whatcha got?A: A bye week, thank God, so I don't have to worry about it! :goodposting: Seriously...he's back, and is a must-start for any owner. Expectations should be somewhat tempered though as the matchup is far less then ideal. 100 total yards and a TD is a reasonable expectation.
He's only back if Reid proves that he can stick with the run in a close game. It's not so much Westbrook that worries me. It's more the playcalling. I remember several weeks ago a lot of people thought Braylon was back after his big game. Look at how that worked out. Regarldess, I agree that the upside for Westy is too high to think about benching him.
Jaworski commented during the Cardinals game that the Eagles had tried to be too vertical in its passing game as opposed to staying true to its West Coast roots / strength. Screens and slants, Andy. Screens and slants.

Q: Westbrook Versus The Giants, Whatcha got?A: A bye week, thank God, so I don't have to worry about it! :D Seriously...he's back, and is a must-start for any owner. Expectations should be somewhat tempered though as the matchup is far less then ideal. 100 total yards and a TD is a reasonable expectation.
Ordinarily this is :confused: but with all the outside distractions going on, I'm thinking it will be tough for the Giants' minds to be 100% on football. So instead of "far less than ideal," maybe "a little less than ideal." :hophead:

As long as Westbrook gets a TD, that'll be good enough for me. But i could see him doing significantly more than that. I also see the Eagles winning this game.

I've talked to a few of my "expert" friends and have advised I sit Westy down this week for Addai or Steve Smith.

There is NO WAY I sit down a STUD weapon like Westy who has regained his health.

Bring it on NYG, Westy and I are gonna bring it this week :lmao:

I hope :bag:

FYI and FWIW a stat regarding NYG D:

Though the Giants have limited the rushing yardage of opposing running backs, they have not kept opposing running backs out of the end zone. In Week 12, Arizona Cardinals running back Tim Hightower scored twice against the Giants. In Week 11, Baltimore Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain caught a touchdown pass against them.

Westy will score through thr air!

the giants arent playing for much while the eagles still have a slight chance of making the playoffs...that alone makes westy an automatic start...never mind he`s getting as healthy as he`s been all year and Don M looked like a light went off last week....Philly wins this game and look good doing it...nuff sed

Brian Westbrook has a few extra days to rest and just looked great last game.Philly runs into the Giants week 14 so expectations should be lower than normal but Westy seems to be a 'start with confidence' this week.
agreed that you have to start Westbrook, but he did only manage 26 yards last game v. the Giants.

the giants arent playing for much while the eagles still have a slight chance of making the playoffs...that alone makes westy an automatic start...never mind he`s getting as healthy as he`s been all year and Don M looked like a light went off last week....Philly wins this game and look good doing it...nuff sed
Slight?Inter-divisional contests are usually tough.

IF, IF the Eagles win, they will be 7-5-1. IF, IF the Cowboys lose (to PIT), they will be 8-5. IF, IF the Redskins lose (to BAL), they will be 7-6. Add in the fact that the Redskins are starting to struggle and they still have to face the Eagles. The Cowboys have to travel to Philly week 17 for a matchup in the bitter cold.

The Eagles control their own destiny to the playoffs. I AM NOT saying they can win out, but IF they knock off the Giants somehow, they have the Browns next week, followed by the 'Skins and 'Boys. No, there is not a slight chance of them making the playoffs... There is a very good chance of them making the playoffs as they begin to get healthy.

Check the NFC South schedule... they will start knocking themselves off too.

The above scenario is very likely.

All I was doing was responding to your comment that is bolded.

As an Eagles fan, I don't know how we are going to beat them, but we have the players to do it. The playcalling all season has had me scratching my head BUT a healthy Westbrook is a MUST-START.

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? :scared:

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? :rant:
i understand that....but win or lose they are still in the playoffs while the eagles HAVE to win to stay alive

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? :rant:
i understand that....but win or lose they are still in the playoffs while the eagles HAVE to win to stay alive
I thought that pretty much everybody still HAS to win to stay alive?

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? :confused:
so your saying that if the giants lose this week there toast??? :confused:

Brian Westbrook has a few extra days to rest and just looked great last game.Philly runs into the Giants week 14 so expectations should be lower than normal but Westy seems to be a 'start with confidence' this week.
agreed that you have to start Westbrook, but he did only manage 26 yards last game v. the Giants.
I can't remember, was Westy healthy going into that game, got banged up in it, or was the Giant D that good in shutting him down?

Westbrook has had pretty good success in recent years against the Gints. Let's face it, if you own Westbrook, you paid a heavy price because you love his production when healthy. He's healthy. He should be in for a good game. Looks like Peyton Hillis rides the pine again this week. Don't overthink this people.

Home field advantage throughout the playoffs? :shrug:
so your saying that if the giants lose this week there toast??? :football:
Nobody clinched yet, to my knowledge anyways? Am I wrong? Did anybody clinch yet?

I can't remember, was Westy healthy going into that game, got banged up in it, or was the Giant D that good in shutting him down?
If I remember correctly, Reid's playcalling shut Westbrook down early in the game. I remember something like only a few touches in the 1st half. My impression was that Spags got into Reid's head early and made him get away from using his best weapon.

I think I may play Jacobs over Westbrook this week. Jacobs seems like the safer play while Westbrook has more upside.

If I remember correctly, Reid's playcalling shut Westbrook down early in the game. I remember something like only a few touches in the 1st half. My impression was that Spags got into Reid's head early and made him get away from using his best weapon.
Article posted above states that Westbrook was already battling injuries going into that game, however the extent of those injuries hadn't been exposed yet. FWIW.

I'm hearing a lot of "Westbrook is a must start" in this thread due to his health but I haven't seen NYG allow hardly anything to any RB this year. Mewelde Moore got about 80 and a TD but that's about the best that I've seen. This game screams to me that NYG is too strong to run against and that the only glimmer would be Westbrooks strength as a pass catcher. I do like the angle that PHI has more to play for even more than the distraction angle. I do agree that Westbrook is the play if you need to shoot the moon to win but I'd lean away from him if I'm the favorite going in if I've got some higher conficence/more consistent options.

I'm anywhere from a 2 point to 13 point underdog if I play Roddy White as a flex vs NO instead of Westbrook vs NYG and I don't have to win so I'm considering playing Westy but I'm far from 100% on board yet.

Does anybody else see a reason why Westy can be successful where so many other good RB's in the league this year have not been?

I'm hearing a lot of "Westbrook is a must start" in this thread due to his health but I haven't seen NYG allow hardly anything to any RB this year. Mewelde Moore got about 80 and a TD but that's about the best that I've seen. This game screams to me that NYG is too strong to run against and that the only glimmer would be Westbrooks strength as a pass catcher. I do like the angle that PHI has more to play for even more than the distraction angle. I do agree that Westbrook is the play if you need to shoot the moon to win but I'd lean away from him if I'm the favorite going in if I've got some higher conficence/more consistent options. I'm anywhere from a 2 point to 13 point underdog if I play Roddy White as a flex vs NO instead of Westbrook vs NYG and I don't have to win so I'm considering playing Westy but I'm far from 100% on board yet. Does anybody else see a reason why Westy can be successful where so many other good RB's in the league this year have not been?
The NYG D is very very good...but sometimes people put too much stock in these types of rankings. When you're up by two TD's in most games...people stop running...then they stop gettting rushing yards.Mot saying you're wrong...just pointing out that their is a hole in your logic.

The Eagles tried to throw the ball all over the Giants a few weeks ago - and it didn't work. But they were close. This time around, I see the Eagles using more balance. The good news? No Buckhalter. Thus, Westbrook will be on the field 90% of the time. I also see Philly taking advantage of New York's pass rushing ways. That = a lot dinks, dunks, and screens. Westbrooks likely numbers? 60-75 rushing yards, 30 receiving yards, and 1 TD. Got a player that can beat that? Then start him.

Philly homer here and Westy owner.

News flash guys...BWest has not practiced the past two days, and is questionable for this weekend. NYG are giving up an average of 85 yds/game rushing. McNabb's been up and down, the game is on the road, and the Giants D will play tough as they have all season. Westy himself has been up and down because of health, and I'd avoid this match up all together.

I am benching BWest for Slaton. Good luck to those with less tempting options.

Alot of Eagles fans and media are hyping the Eagles because of thier win over Arizona. Color me unimpressed. Lets put things in perspective. Philly and Arizona were both on a short week but Arizona had to travel cross country which was a huge advantage for Eagles in addition they match up really well with Arizona offense, look at last year vs Pats. The Eagles are still the same team one that struggles and is inconsistent, unfortunately for them they are in the NFC East which has no room for error. The Eagles are DEAD in the playoff race and unless your a homer I dont understand how you cant see this, realistically 11-5 is going to be required for a wildcard playoff berth the best Philly can do is 10-5-1. Westy is not a good start IMO and his health is questionable which sucks since most playoffs start this week and you dont want to start a guy who could see 2 or 3 carries and have to leave the game.

The way some of you people are takling you would think westy =c.benson or something :goodposting:

IT`S PLAYOFF TIME ....RIDE THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON

The way some of you people are takling you would think westy =c.benson or something :lmao: IT`S PLAYOFF TIME ....RIDE THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON
Agree. You guys are drinking Mad Dog or something if your suggesting I sit a healthy Westbrook and yes, he's stated he's now as healthy as he's been since the beginning of the season.If I lose this week, then let me lose and go down with my #1 pick in the lineup. Let me lose in a BLAZE OF GLORY!!! Let me fall knowing that I played my STUDS regardless of the matchups and then and ONLY then will I will bow out gracefully. :football: :football: :football: :football: :football:No Mad Dog for me, I'll pass. :yucky: :no:

I've got Westy and he'll be on my bench.

Lots of FF teams don't have a great replacement to plug in for Westbrook, and/or they need to roll the risk/reward dice and hope for a big game - so some owners have to start him.

For everyone else, IMO this is a perfect example of a game to NOT "Always play your studs".

GL to all.

Im stilling banging my head on the wall for not starting him last week!!! :wall:

And all of this same crap was talked about how he may only get 3 carries than out?? Or how he is nowhere near 100%, blah, blah, blah!!!

I know its the NYG here and not ARZ!! But Im riding him the rest of the way out!! If he gets me 2 pts I'll be happy! Because to see 40 pts sitting on my bench again might just drive me insane!!!??? :rant:

My best options are Walter, Braylon and Mo Morris! NO THANKS! Dont have options like Slaton sitting on the bench??

Carry me to the promise lands Westy!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread