What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Currently I have ATT U-Verse for internet and using OTA antenna for local channels & Roku. I know ESPN3 is available but I'm not finding anyway to stream ESPN3 through my current setup. How do I watch the Rose Bowl without hooking up my mac mini to the tv?

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

We got one of those large floor model Mitsubishi HDTV projection TVs from a neighbor. I bought an antenna, hooked it up, scanned for channels, and it found nothing. I change channels and I get nothing. Any chance an indoor antenna will work in a basement? Is that my problem? I've moved it all over to the sliding glass door in the basement to see if that did anything and I still get nothing.

I suppose it could just be a defective antenna. I guess I'll try the antenna on my upstairs TV just to test that out. It should just be a simple process of connecting it and picking up a signal, right?
So you picked up a old tv from a neighbor I am going to guess it is a older model pre digital tv. Sounds to me you need a analog to digital converter. Older tvs only receive analog signals but a couple of years ago all the stations upgraded to digital, you need a digital antenna to pick up the signal, but the older tvs can only "read" analog so you need a converter box.

I have a 15 year old tv out in my garage, digital antenna and I got the cheapest converter, the apex one for about 30 bucks and it works fine.

Analog to digital converter
Pretty sure the TV can read digital.I tried the antenna on my one year old TV on the main level and still didn't get a signal.

Could have just been a defective antenna. I returned it. Don't really care that much right now to have basic TV in the basement.

We put a new TV and new Sony Wifi BluRay player in our bedroom and through the Blu Ray player we are streaming Netflix at 7.99/mo (we’ve had this forever through the downstairs wii) and Hulu Plus as well (we got a free 3 month trial, it’s 7.99/mo afterwards if we keep it). I don’t think we’re going to have to call Comcast and get either a $10/month HD on demand box or their $20/mo box that also has DVR. I think we can get all our shows from Hulu. This has me thinking of cutting the cable all together as our wii which is already streaming netflix can stream Hulu as well. We’ve looked at potential deal breakers and I think we’ll be ok, though I think we may miss CNN (although we only watch it during election season and mass tragedies) and TBS (for Conan O’Brien). Anyone know of any work arounds for CNN and TBS? I would love to free myself from the Comcast shackles (would just keep their high speed internet).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out something that might be useful information for others...I have internet from the cable company, but no cable service. If I plug my internet cable into my TV, I get basic cable.Two coworkers with a different cable company report the same success.So, if you want to dump cable and use Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, but want the ability to turn the networks and Turner channels on for an occasional event (Super Bowl, March Madness) at the price of switching off your internet while the event is on, give this a try - you might be able to skip an antenna.

I just found out something that might be useful information for others...I have internet from the cable company, but no cable service. If I plug my internet cable into my TV, I get basic cable.Two coworkers with a different cable company report the same success.So, if you want to dump cable and use Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, but want the ability to turn the networks and Turner channels on for an occasional event (Super Bowl, March Madness) at the price of switching off your internet while the event is on, give this a try - you might be able to skip an antenna.
Don't think you'd have to switch off your internet. Use a splitter.Yes you should be able to get basic cable. Digital cable and HDTV probably not though. Standard def only

Don't think you'd have to switch off your internet. Use a splitter.Yes you should be able to get basic cable. Digital cable and HDTV probably not though. Standard def only
I get high def.Report from a coworker is that a splitter didn't work... I'll give it a try and report back.

I am also ready to dump cable. I have a HDTV monitor, not a TV.Could someone tell what I need to purchase to view OTA channels? I'm sure I need an antenna, but don't I also need some kind of digital tuner?Maybe there's something that combines both? or also allows for a streaming interface?

I am also ready to dump cable. I have a HDTV monitor, not a TV.Could someone tell what I need to purchase to view OTA channels? I'm sure I need an antenna, but don't I also need some kind of digital tuner?Maybe there's something that combines both? or also allows for a streaming interface?
You can use this antenna which plugs into a small pc with a tv tuner card, as long as the pc has hdmi out.

I get high def.Report from a coworker is that a splitter didn't work... I'll give it a try and report back.
A splitter should work if it's the right splitter.Find the box where the cable enters your house and you'll see it goes into a big splitter. Make sure the splitter you add has the same specs. Needs to be 1GHz, maybe even 2GHz.

A splitter should work if it's the right splitter.Find the box where the cable enters your house and you'll see it goes into a big splitter. Make sure the splitter you add has the same specs. Needs to be 1GHz, maybe even 2GHz.
Are you guys talking about the same thing? 17, are you talking about splitting the coax or the cat5? Sounds like you're talking about splitting the coax and plugging that right into the tv to get analog which was the way to do it before cable went entirely digital. I got the impression that Tick is talking about plugging the Cat5 cable directly into the tv.

YOU JUST BLEW MY MINDYeah I was thinking coax. I thought TVs with wireless and ethernet were only for streaming services(netflix, hulu, etc), not cable channels.

I'm moving in a few weeks and was thinking about not buying cable. Just faster internet and getting a TV with built-in internet. I don't currently have a netflix, or Hulu subscription. Which is better? I don't watch much TV, except for football games and news...It will suck not being able to watch a game in full HD on my TV, but I can't stand paying for these bundles anymore.
We put an antenna on our roof and get 40 channels (philly area) and in much better HD quality. We used the mohu leaf before we made the complete switch and got about 30 channels. You really do not need cable any more if you own a tablet, laptop or pc.

YOU JUST BLEW MY MINDYeah I was thinking coax. I thought TVs with wireless and ethernet were only for streaming services(netflix, hulu, etc), not cable channels.
So did I. I'm curious to find out, but I don't have a tv with an ethernet port and I can't see myself buying another one for a long time.

I haven't read the entire thread (ain't nobody got time for that) but has anyone mentioned the Aios yet?I am getting two of these. Basically its a $90 TV PC.

The AIOS HD Media Center is a robust networked media center supports Full-1080p HD media playback featuring a superior multi-format video and audio codec including AVI, MKV, TS, TP, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WMV, RMVB, FLV, XVID, DIVX, and most popular formats. With a full range of video & audio outputs, the AIOS HD Media Center can connect to your TV or your receivers to enjoy crisp 1080p videos and surreal surround sound supporting DTS Digital Surround 5.1, Dolby?Digital AC3 5.1, Dolby?Digital plus 7.1, Dolby? TrueHD 7.1, AAC 7.1. Support upto 4TB internal HDD with hot-plug drive system, built in SDHC/ MMC/MS Pro flash card reader and the latest USB 3.0 controller, the AIOS HD Media Center supports content playback from network storage, attached USB storage, flash storage, digital cameras, digital camcorder and etc. Intuitive user interface allows user check hardware status such as network connectivity, wifi signal, hard drive capacity and other functions. Newly introduced file browser supports functions such as movie wall, video thumbnails, photo slides, music players, and various customized playlist and photo album functions. Based on latest Gigabit network technology and optional 802.11n, AIOS HD Media Center can let you easily access the premium functions such as PC-Less BitTorrent download, your favorite apps such as Google Talk messenger, Youtube, Picasa, Flickr, Shoutcast, Video Pod Cast, and hundreds of internet video & audio contents. The best yet, we¡¯ve throw in the latest HTML5 web browser into the mix which can allow you surf the web at your heart¡¯s content.

So did I. I'm curious to find out, but I don't have a tv with an ethernet port and I can't see myself buying another one for a long time.
FWIW, I can't find a link explaining this.
It doesn't make any sense unless your cable modem encodes the channels and puts them in a DLNA stream, and the TV can accept that via ethernet. That's a fancy cable modem.

Yeah, I also bought the Mohu leaf. Since its winter I didn't have any desire to go on the roof, but it's been no issue. I get about 30 over the air stations. I'll also echo the statement that you watch less tv. IMO, it's better though, as I'm only watching stuff I want, when I want. With Netflix and Hulu plus an antenna, it's been no big deal.

FWIW, I can't find a link explaining this.
It doesn't make any sense unless your cable modem encodes the channels and puts them in a DLNA stream, and the TV can accept that via ethernet. That's a fancy cable modem.
Where the heck is Tick to fill in the blanks?

Are you guys talking about the same thing? 17, are you talking about splitting the coax or the cat5? Sounds like you're talking about splitting the coax and plugging that right into the tv to get analog which was the way to do it before cable went entirely digital. I got the impression that Tick is talking about plugging the Cat5 cable directly into the tv.
We were both talking about coax into the TV. I haven't tried the splitter yet, but do have a good one to try.

Celebrated President's day by cutting the cord...bought two antennas at best buy for a total of 62 bucks...getting ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX(2), a few PBS and a couple of other channels fine.Will, be buying a ROKU very soon...most likely the top of the line model...for a few bucks more and the savings already I don't see why not. Question though...looking at ROKU I see they now have HBOGO. I was under the belief that the only way to get HBO was getting it through the cable company...when you had that if gave you access to the HBOGO...now it seems like this is not the case: So I buy ROKU I can now watch Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc when it starts back up? Is this correct...not getting to see Thrones was the one thing I was bumming about with slashing the cable..but it sounds like this isn't the case anymore. Can anyone chime in on this?

Celebrated President's day by cutting the cord...bought two antennas at best buy for a total of 62 bucks...getting ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX(2), a few PBS and a couple of other channels fine.Will, be buying a ROKU very soon...most likely the top of the line model...for a few bucks more and the savings already I don't see why not. Question though...looking at ROKU I see they now have HBOGO. I was under the belief that the only way to get HBO was getting it through the cable company...when you had that if gave you access to the HBOGO...now it seems like this is not the case: So I buy ROKU I can now watch Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc when it starts back up? Is this correct...not getting to see Thrones was the one thing I was bumming about with slashing the cable..but it sounds like this isn't the case anymore. Can anyone chime in on this?
i'm pretty sure you have to be subscribed to HBO through a provider to get HBOGO. i certainly hope i'm wrong.

i'm pretty sure you have to be subscribed to HBO through a provider to get HBOGO. i certainly hope i'm wrong.
I bet you are right...but HBO has got to be anxious to end that arrangement. You would think a lot of people, like me, are willing to buy their content...just not through that system of economic rape the cable companies got. Seems like a matter of time for that business model. :thumbdown:

I bet you are right...but HBO has got to be anxious to end that arrangement. You would think a lot of people, like me, are willing to buy their content...just not through that system of economic rape the cable companies got. Seems like a matter of time for that business model. :thumbdown:
Dangerous assumption that going out on their own would be better for HBO. They would be best served partnering with Netflix for a "premium" upgrade to their content. Content makers are usually crappy content providers.

Celebrated President's day by cutting the cord...bought two antennas at best buy for a total of 62 bucks...getting ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX(2), a few PBS and a couple of other channels fine.

Will, be buying a ROKU very soon...most likely the top of the line model...for a few bucks more and the savings already I don't see why not. Question though...looking at ROKU I see they now have HBOGO. I was under the belief that the only way to get HBO was getting it through the cable company...when you had that if gave you access to the HBOGO...now it seems like this is not the case: So I buy ROKU I can now watch Game of Thrones, Boardwalk, etc when it starts back up? Is this correct...not getting to see Thrones was the one thing I was bumming about with slashing the cable..but it sounds like this isn't the case anymore. Can anyone chime in on this?
Dangerous assumption that going out on their own would be better for HBO. They would be best served partnering with Netflix for a "premium" upgrade to their content. Content makers are usually crappy content providers.
Wasn't saying they should go on their own, but the exclusive relationship via the cable companies is cutting off a large and growing population that would be willing to buy (some) of their content, but won't when the only ave. is through the plug in the wall.

Unfortunately, you have to have an HBO subscription through a provider. I just use my In-Laws account though.
interesting. do they get charged anything?
this is awesome btw :thumbup:
They should not be charged. You can also do this with Xfinity or even Directv. Not that I do this, but I know its possible. Sign into xfinity on your HTPC with your families account info and you can now stream all of their paid for movie channels and numerous other channels that are available like ESPN.

So...turns out I'm still getting some cable feed through the wall due to the high speed internet I still gots with Comcast...I just auto programmed the TV the wrong way the first time around. So I returned the two digital antennas for a 62 dollar credit I put towards the 80 dollar Roku unit plus a HDMI cable...total cost 106. I realize I could have gotten the cable cheaper online, but I did not want to wait and needed a project to do on Saturday. Got the Roke up and running with the Netflix and I got to say, I am loving it. Turns out my sister has HBO on her cable lineup and is willing to let me use her info for the HBOGO...this will cover me for Game of Thrones season three. I may have to figure something else out after the summer as she will be moving and is looking to alter her TV content delivery method as well. Props to all who contributed to this thread...really helped me narrow down what I wanted and needed in cutting the cord. :thumbup:

So...turns out I'm still getting some cable feed through the wall due to the high speed internet I still gots with Comcast...I just auto programmed the TV the wrong way the first time around. So I returned the two digital antennas for a 62 dollar credit I put towards the 80 dollar Roku unit plus a HDMI cable...total cost 106. I realize I could have gotten the cable cheaper online, but I did not want to wait and needed a project to do on Saturday. Got the Roke up and running with the Netflix and I got to say, I am loving it. Turns out my sister has HBO on her cable lineup and is willing to let me use her info for the HBOGO...this will cover me for Game of Thrones season three. I may have to figure something else out after the summer as she will be moving and is looking to alter her TV content delivery method as well. Props to all who contributed to this thread...really helped me narrow down what I wanted and needed in cutting the cord. :thumbup:
Congrats. Is the cable feed you’re getting HD or standard? Mine is standard. I am not an HD snob by any means, but the standard feed is just horrid – it looked like I was watching my TV without my glasses on. I think when you get so used to HD that it’s going back is a very rough adjustment. In my situation, if I can conjure up the cajones to cut the cable, I will definitely need an HD antenna. Losing the DVR is gonna be really tough though because we watch everything once the kids are in bed. Any recommendations on getting a cheap TIVO deal?

Congrats. Is the cable feed youre getting HD or standard? Mine is standard. I am not an HD snob by any means, but the standard feed is just horrid it looked like I was watching my TV without my glasses on. I think when you get so used to HD that its going back is a very rough adjustment. In my situation, if I can conjure up the cajones to cut the cable, I will definitely need an HD antenna. Losing the DVR is gonna be really tough though because we watch everything once the kids are in bed. Any recommendations on getting a cheap TIVO deal?
It seemed for many of the channels I am receiving through the wall I was getting one that was in HD and one that wasn't...so I did spend awhile deleting the duped non-HD channel...most of what I was left with is coming in HD...a few channels are not coming in to clear, but they are not channels I really care about...the ones I care about (pretty much the major networks) are coming in very clear. I had the DVR awhile ago and I do miss it a little bit, but not too much...not sure about cheapo TIVOs.

We fell off the wagon last week. Ordered basic cable w/70+ channels for $30/month. Wife and daughter are VERY happy to have their channels back. We had cut the cord back in early December and we were getting by using Netflix, dvd's, some internet TV shows and OTA but I/we just couldn't get past all the garbage/sex/violence on prime time TV and how long it took sometimes to go through the various viewing options just to find something to watch. We will see what happens in the future as I am still hopeful to cut the cord someday permanently, but today is not that day in our household. :no: :cry:

We fell off the wagon last week. Ordered basic cable w/70+ channels for $30/month. Wife and daughter are VERY happy to have their channels back. We had cut the cord back in early December and we were getting by using Netflix, dvd's, some internet TV shows and OTA but I/we just couldn't get past all the garbage/sex/violence on prime time TV and how long it took sometimes to go through the various viewing options just to find something to watch. We will see what happens in the future as I am still hopeful to cut the cord someday permanently, but today is not that day in our household. :no: :cry:
Don't worry, I fell off the wagon last year after being cable free for a while. I locked in to a year contract, and about 1 month in, I realized my mistake (and it was alot worse than yours - I got two hd dvrs, HBO, and about 200 stations total). As soon as my contract was up, I canceled and won't go back.Looking forward to getting mlb.tv to satisfy my baseball fix.

I have had the first incarnation of the ROKU and was just about to bite the bulled and by a ROKU 2, but then just read that the ROKU 3 will be out on March 6th. Reumor is it will support Youtube.

I have had the first incarnation of the ROKU and was just about to bite the bulled and by a ROKU 2, but then just read that the ROKU 3 will be out on March 6th. Reumor is it will support Youtube.
How is it possible they haven't up to this point? At this point I'd think it would support porntube.

For those with a ROKU, which channels do you recommend?To be honest I can't find much to watch. I wouldn't mind subscribing to one of the services if I thought it would be worthwhile.I have kids and was willing to pay for Disney, but all Disney offers is previews and other crap.

'LittleLarry said:
For those with a ROKU, which channels do you recommend?To be honest I can't find much to watch. I wouldn't mind subscribing to one of the services if I thought it would be worthwhile.I have kids and was willing to pay for Disney, but all Disney offers is previews and other crap.
:blackdot: With us getting ready to take this plunge I would love to hear this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread