What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Been playing around with Tivimate and can't believe I never heard if it before. Love the customization and slick UI...I'm going to try to set it up this week so I can record shows DVR style from Tivimate to my laptop since the Firestick doesn't have much storage space. I found a Troypoint video that explains how, it looks pretty simple. Will report back if all goes well.

Up until now, I've kept regular cable on top of IPTV because I like having a DVR for my usual shows. I've only been using IPTV for football games, PPVs, and movie channels, but if I can get it setup where I can record from IPTV, bye bye cable.
I switched to NVDIA shield on my main TV for the space availability. I was able to add an external hard drive to store shows. My other TVs that I don't record on have firesticks on them. The Biggest issue with DVR is if it buffers while recording, you will lose chunks of the show. Otherwise it works very well.

So I was not aware of TiviMate until I read posts upstream. Holy #### is it a way better app than the likes of Smarters imo. I paid for the lifetime subscription and am loving all the customization. I particularly love the easy Samba setup for network DVR service. So awesome.

gonna have to check out TiviMate when I get home, I use Epic for my IPTV and haven't had many issues with them. Most of all the UFC PPV's have streamed head ache free and I watch quite a few newly released movies/television series without issues. I pay $20 a month for 3 connections at once just because of UFC PPV's but it's my only source for TV and has been beyond reliable :knockonwood:

Depending on your technical acumen, you can put a NAS on your network (network-attached storage). Then you can use a few other things to scrape anything you want from Usenet. With Usenet and IPTV you're out maybe 40/mth...but you can get rid of Netflix/Hulu/Apple TV/ Paramount+/etc....since it's all on Usenet. I use Plex to consolidate TV Shows and Movies and it's great.

So I tried recording from Tivimate to a laptop via WiFi and it worked but the laptop wouldn't stay connected to the internet so I'm going a diff route and adding an external USB drive for storage and am gonna connect it via ethernet and do it that way.

it was $50 total for everything I need (ethernet adapter, OTG cable, ethernet cable and 256GB USB drive).

Will try that this weekend and will report back.

Last edited:
So I was not aware of TiviMate until I read posts upstream. Holy #### is it a way better app than the likes of Smarters imo. I paid for the lifetime subscription and am loving all the customization. I particularly love the easy Samba setup for network DVR service. So awesome.
I always used Smarters and GSE IPTV for my players on Apple devices, Tivimate doesn’t work on Apple. I got an Amazon Cube, and it was a total game changer with Tivimate. I still have Smarters for a backup player.

What's been your experience when going to 100% streaming for TV watching? Has it been a real drain on your home internet bandwidth? I didn't even consider the need for it to always "be on" in order to record any shows scheduled.

Depending on your technical acumen, you can put a NAS on your network (network-attached storage). Then you can use a few other things to scrape anything you want from Usenet. With Usenet and IPTV you're out maybe 40/mth...but you can get rid of Netflix/Hulu/Apple TV/ Paramount+/etc....since it's all on Usenet. I use Plex to consolidate TV Shows and Movies and it's great.

It can get down even lower if you use good management software and are ok with torrents instead of usenet, and NFLbite and the like instead of IPTV if all you need is live sports... depending on what you want... you can get down the expenses to just the NAS and a dedicated router as one time costs, and then a VPN for like $5/month.

What's been your experience when going to 100% streaming for TV watching? Has it been a real drain on your home internet bandwidth? I didn't even consider the need for it to always "be on" in order to record any shows scheduled.

I'm not an expert, but, I believe that most streaming services cap out at about 100Mbps, which wouldn't affect most home users bandwidth for taking in 2 or even 3 streams at a time (YMMV). My layman's recollection is that unless you're going with dedicated 4K video, that Netflix and the like generally won't send more than 100Mbps because 1) it's perfectly compatible with the bandwidth most users can support on their networks at a decent enough resolution, and 2) past 100Mbps, the problem isn't the network but the TV... a lot of models even a couple of years old would crash out trying to process more, so, to keep it compatible with the apps you can install on a cheap Smart TV or Roku or whatever, 100Mbps is a safe speed.

It’s just me at home. I don’t have a smart house, nor am I a gamer. I have streamed games exclusively for 3+ years, no drain.

I am on gigabyte internet. My NVDIA shield is on ethernet, my son's gaming computer is on ethernet, everything else is wireless. I can have my main TV on, TV in garage on, wife is watching netfilix on her IPAD, son is on his CPU and I am on my laptop and no issues whatsoever.

I am on gigabyte internet. My NVDIA shield is on ethernet, my son's gaming computer is on ethernet, everything else is wireless. I can have my main TV on, TV in garage on, wife is watching netfilix on her IPAD, son is on his CPU and I am on my laptop and no issues whatsoever.
Pretty much the same setup here with gigabit fiber. I’ll never hit the bandwidth ceiling and I have a ton of wireless cameras, 2 Shields, phones, and PCs going most of the day.

So I tried recording from Tivimate to a laptop via WiFi and it worked but the laptop wouldn't stay connected to the internet so I'm going a diff route and adding an external USB drive for storage and am gonna connect it via ethernet and do it that way.

it was $50 total for everything I need (ethernet adapter, OTG cable, ethernet cable and 256GB USB drive).

Will try that this weekend and will report back.
Works like a charm! I'm gonna take my cable boxes out back and Office Space them to pieces tomorrow.

I have three teenagers, a wife, and me streaming 3 games at a time on NFL Sundays. It worked fine when I was on less than 50mbs internet.

My internet now is about 450mbs. Not one issue ever.

I use Epic for my IPTV and haven't had many issues with them. Most of all the UFC PPV's have streamed head ache free and I watch quite a few newly released movies/television series without issues
Does Epic have Catch Up? My IPTV doesn't and I'm looking for a reliable one that has it.

Well, I officially cut the cable. 2 boxes, 2 remotes, a bunch of coaxial cable, HDMI cables, power cables...its crazy how much garbage I was able to get rid of.

I did sign up for YouTube TV because IPTV can be hit or miss and I like to have something more stable, but I'm still coming out way cheaper than cable.

So aside from Amazon Prime, the only streaming services I pay for are YouTube TV ($65/mo) and my IPTV provider ($15/mo). I don't need any other streaming services since IPTV and Cinema HD app (on firestick) can get everything out there.

It feels GOOD to be done with cable.

Last edited:
Well, I officially cut the cable. 2 boxes, 2 remotes, a bunch of coaxial cable, HDMI cables, power cables...its crazy how much garbage I was able to get rid of.

I did sign up for YouTube TV because IPTV can be hit or miss and I like to have something more stable, but I'm still coming out way cheaper than cable.

So aside from Amazon Prime, the only streaming services I pay for are YouTube TV ($65/mo) and my IPTV provider ($15/mo). I don't need any other streaming services since IPTV and Cinema HD app (on firestick) can get everything out there.

So I had an old IPTV service way back...... Here is my question for you and everyone..... I know I posted way back in the early of this thread but things may have changed.

I know what the cost of my internet will be that I currently have - somewhere in the $100 range

So - I have no smart TVS currently.

I need to have 4 possibly 5 tvs "watchable" with a service.

What would be the best way to accomplish this and estimate cost to get going?

I'm very concerned that my home theater would become crap with unsynced speech, and sound being an issue? IS this a concern?

Are local sports available for youtube TV ? right now phillies/flyers I think are still on a COmcast channel

Cost wise - forget prim I have that for other reasons. I have netflix, hulu free for when i signed up for something else (im sure there are hidden fees for it but whatever).

To have netflix, hbo, showtime, hulu plus youtube TV about what are we talking monthly?

TIA

@belljr

i am not an eggspurt on this...

family room has a smart tv (and a ps4 pro hooked up). sound via soundbar is very good
3 other rooms (not smart tvs) have firesticks.. which has all apps i need and many more.

went with YTTV about 4-5 seasons ago. I have my local channels (including sports), so can watch those when i travel.

side note... mrs and i work from home, so can write off the high speed internet service.

So I had an old IPTV service way back...... Here is my question for you and everyone..... I know I posted way back in the early of this thread but things may have changed.

I know what the cost of my internet will be that I currently have - somewhere in the $100 range

I'm very concerned that my home theater would become crap with unsynced speech, and sound being an issue? IS this a concern?

Are local sports available for youtube TV ? right now phillies/flyers I think are still on a COmcast channel

Cost wise - forget prim I have that for other reasons. I have netflix, hulu free for when i signed up for something else (im sure there are hidden fees for it but whatever).

To have netflix, hbo, showtime, hulu plus youtube TV about what are we talking monthly?

TIA
Upfront cost for me.

3 firestick 4K $150 (amazon has them right now for 39.99)
1 Nvdia shiled pro for main TV $149 (originally had a firestick on it, which worked well, but switched for more storage and a little better performance)

Monthly cost:
Internet $99 (I would have high speed no matter what, so I really don't count this)
IPTV providers $30
Hulu, Netflix, HBOmax, Peacock, Prime (who knows, happy wife=happy life)

I had Youtube TV and liked it a lot, but went away from it when they quit carrying the foxsports (now Bally) channels, because I watch Twins games. Just be careful if you buy a firestick and want to go the Youtube TV route because if I remember right it would not work on the firestick because of the feud between Amazon and Google

OH is there DVR capability in the services?

So I'm looking at 3-400 ish to "setup"

Then about 100ish a month for all the streaming services I mentioned?

ANd no issues with my projector/receiver monster surround? :)

OH is there DVR capability in the services?

So I'm looking at 3-400 ish to "setup"

Then about 100ish a month for all the streaming services I mentioned?

ANd no issues with my projector/receiver monster surround? :)
Most of your major ones (Hulu, Youtube TV, sling) will have a DVR of some sort, but I can't say how it works.
I just have a soundbar with a sub, but have no issues.

If I am doing the math correctly - I'll save about 100 a month.......

For me personally that's not quite enough to make the leap but close...... I am a FBG after all :)

I think

Thanks

Last edited:
I do have a CHromecast and a PS5 - so I guess that could work?

Although having the PS5 on to watch tv seem liek a lot but maybe not

I’d echo Firesticks as well. The interface is really simple with Apps for each streaming option including a bunch of free stuff like Tubi, Pluto and FreeVee which have a ton of movies and shows free with Ads. The Firestick search is really good about showing you where you can watch for free like if it is on Max or Netflix or Hulu.

Also, they are on sale for half off all the time. If you don’t have 4k there are cheaper Firesticks, just make sure the remote has the TV functions so it can turn on/off the TV and control the TV volume.

If you want a soundbar, it can work great if you have the modern HDMI output. My family room has a recent (maybe couple years old) LG TV, Vizio soundbar and Firestick and because the LG TV controls the volume of the soundbar, the Firestick remote is all I need for everything.

I’d echo Firesticks as well. The interface is really simple with Apps for each streaming option including a bunch of free stuff like Tubi, Pluto and FreeVee which have a ton of movies and shows free with Ads. The Firestick search is really good about showing you where you can watch for free like if it is on Max or Netflix or Hulu.

Also, they are on sale for half off all the time. If you don’t have 4k there are cheaper Firesticks, just make sure the remote has the TV functions so it can turn on/off the TV and control the TV volume.

If you want a soundbar, it can work great if you have the modern HDMI output. My family room has a recent (maybe couple years old) LG TV, Vizio soundbar and Firestick and because the LG TV controls the volume of the soundbar, the Firestick remote is all I need for everything.
I had a firestick and thought it sucked..... would lose connection and didn't like the interface. Granted it was one of the first ones so I'm sure its better now.

My family room TV has a sound bar
My basement home theater has all the bells and whistles
The other tvs are just the TV

Thanks!

Also, while I’m sure it’s cheaper, I don’t get the IPTV and Cinema. The buffering issues I’ve had with Cinema and what I experienced at a friend’s house trying to find a good feed for a game would drive me nuts. My friend is not tech savvy so he had no idea that the IPTV was the issue because Netflix worked fine. I also don’t know how you handle having a bunch of NBC stations to choose from to find the best feed.

I have gotten so used to the Firestick and Hulu/Netflix/Prime/Max apps that it’s so nice when you are presented with stuff you didn’t finish watching or new episodes of what you’ve watched. Hulu has show pages so you can just go there as well to watch any episode you want. For Hulu Live, I don’t even setup recordings. It automatically records teams you like which is nice, regardless of what channel. For instance, I’m a big UConn BBall fan and if I can’t watch live, I never have to record it whether they are on ESPN, CBS or FS1. I’ve gotten so used to watching differently than I did with Dish and it’s much better IMHO.

I had a firestick and thought it sucked..... would lose connection and didn't like the interface. Granted it was one of the first ones so I'm sure its better now.

Thanks!
I’ve replaced most of mine with 4k ones but my connections are always good. I do have a mesh router and I know those have greatly improved as well. It’s probably my 4th WiFi router/setup since we’ve lived here. Also trying to get Fiber setup so I can get rid of cable (Internet good but spotty at times), but the Fiber company still isn’t done yet with their street stuff outside of all the neighborhoods.

Thanks!
I’ve replaced most of mine with 4k ones but my connections are always good. I do have a mesh router and I know those have greatly improved as well. It’s probably my 4th WiFi router/setup since we’ve lived here. Also trying to get Fiber setup so I can get rid of cable (Internet good but spotty at times), but the Fiber company still isn’t done yet with their street stuff outside of all the neighborhoods.
Thanks yeah I converted to a expensive Orbi a few years back. Best "tech" purchase I ever made. I have only one choice for Internet besides DSL. So I'll be stuck with Xfinity no matter what, I can't complain about the actual service though it's been pretty solid

TIA
Costs - I use Nvidia Shield TV (100) and Pro (200), they are just so much better and faster than any other streaming device I've tried (Chromecast/FireCube 4k/Roku). I would lean heavily towards Android boxes, much easier to get setup on.

I have a pretty decent HT and have zero issues with the TV Pro, it's connects to my Marantz pre-amp and bitstreams out so the receiver can decode. I have not had any real audio sync issues.

Local sports aplenty on the IPTV providers I use. I get the NBC Sports channels in Chicago for the Hawks and Bulls. Redzone, all the pro games/UFC.

I pay roughly 160/yr for 5 simultaneous connections, so that math is 13/mth. I also pay for a backup that is 60/yr for 1 connection, in the event my main provider goes out. No YTTV, just IPTV and the Netflix/Hulu/etc.

. Just be careful if you buy a firestick and want to go the Youtube TV route because if I remember right it would not work on the firestick because of the feud between Amazon and Google
I can confirm that YouTube TV will work on a Firestick.
Yep, watching YTTV on a Firestick right now.

Also, while I’m sure it’s cheaper, I don’t get the IPTV and Cinema. The buffering issues I’ve had with Cinema and what I experienced at a friend’s house trying to find a good feed for a game would drive me nuts. My friend is not tech savvy so he had no idea that the IPTV was the issue because Netflix worked fine. I also don’t know how you handle having a bunch of NBC stations to choose from to find the best feed.
Im not sure what you mean by Cinema, i have an app called Cinema HD that's only for movies and TV shows on demand, and I use Real Debrid for good links. It's $3/month and makes all the difference in the world.

As for IPTV, if you get a good provider that hasn't been oversold, buffering shouldn't be an issue. For football I usually bring up the local network channel for that team. So when we watch Steeler games, I usually watch on KDKA CBS. For 49ers, I usually put on a North California station. Sometimes I'll have to flip thru a few channels to find a good HD quality feed but its really no work at all.

I'd lose my mind if I didn't have IPTV on Sundays. I don't even remember what it's like to not be able to watch my team on my TV at home.

. Just be careful if you buy a firestick and want to go the Youtube TV route because if I remember right it would not work on the firestick because of the feud between Amazon and Google

Im not sure what you mean by Cinema, i have an app called Cinema HD that's only for movies and TV shows on demand, and I use Real Debrid for good links. It's $3/month and makes all the difference in the world.

As for IPTV, if you get a good provider that hasn't been oversold, buffering shouldn't be an issue. For football I usually bring up the local network channel for that team. So when we watch Steeler games, I usually watch on KDKA CBS. For 49ers, I usually put on a North California station. Sometimes I'll have to flip thru a few channels to find a good HD quality feed but its really no work at all.

I'd lose my mind if I didn't have IPTV on Sundays. I don't even remember what it's like to not be able to watch my team on my TV at home.
It was Cinema HD. It was way too much work to find a good feed but that was a few years ago. That said, with the streaming I have plus the free with ads ones, there are way too many things to watch already.

What I saw, with buffering and hunting for better station feeds, was not what I want to do. I could see finding something for football games if I wasn’t in the home area but I am so Hulu Live or YTTV has everything already and the convenience of it knowing what you like and what you are watching is awesome.

It was Cinema HD. It was way too much work to find a good feed but that was a few years ago. That said, with the streaming I have plus the free with ads ones, there are way too many things to watch already.

What I saw, with buffering and hunting for better station feeds, was not what I want to do. I could see finding something for football games if I wasn’t in the home area but I am so Hulu Live or YTTV has everything already and the convenience of it knowing what you like and what you are watching is awesome.
If it wasn't for the whole Bally sports debacle, I would probably stick with youtubeTV or Hulu. I watch the Twins, so I was not able to get the Bally channels and because of Baseball's ancient blackout rules and the fact I live in Iowa and can't get Twins, Royals, Cardinals, or Cubs on MLBtv, I had to find a different route.

If it wasn't for the whole Bally sports debacle, I would probably stick with youtubeTV or Hulu. I watch the Twins, so I was not able to get the Bally channels and because of Baseball's ancient blackout rules and the fact I live in Iowa and can't get Twins, Royals, Cardinals, or Cubs on MLBtv, I had to find a different route.
That’s just amazing but baseball has always been screwed up in terms of TV if you aren’t local. It’s probably because of the ridiculous number of games each year. Almost like you have to have a dedicated local channel or team owned channel since you’ve got 162 3+ hour “episodes” from April to September. I mean, it’s basically on every night for 6 months not including playoffs and spring training.

Didn't realize everyone finally started embracing the dark side with iptv. Using tivimate as well. The dvr capability really comes in handy for those late night ufc fights. My provider had a 50% sale for new years. Its costing me 70 bucks for the year. :biggrin: Still one of the kodi holdouts for all my movie and tv show needs.

TIA
I avoided smart tvs for a long time because of my HTPC, but, when I went to purchase a new one about 4 years ago they were all smart. Turned out great because I like the Samsung setup and it comes with SamsungTV plus that it integrates into the TV guide with all the local channels I get from OTA. That being said you don't need one, just use a firestick for each tv.

I don't pay for anything. As others have said Cinema HD is pretty bad now days for movies (new tv series are fine for me) so I've supplemented it with dopebox. For live sports I get streams from sportsurge or thestreameast or crackstreams

Could this be the first step to consolidating streaming?

========

Austin Karp
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp
@AustinKarp

BREAKING: ESPN, Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox are creating a joint venture, with the sides set to launch a new pay streaming service in the U.S. that will launch in the fall.

NFL, World Cup, NBA, other major properties will be on the service

I'm seeing that it would be part of ESPN+ and Hulu. Which seems kind of like just adding channels to those two properties. How is this really different?

Are we basically headed back to a cable TV model, except that the content creators own the distribution companies?

Alex Sherman

@sherman4949

While no price has been set, I'm told a logical starting price point for this could be $45-$50 per month by a person familiar with the matter.

=======================

It also sounds like they are going to grabbing stuff like the Tennis Channel and other similar type content and bundling that in this new service.

Are we basically headed back to a cable TV model, except that the content creators own the distribution companies?

IMO, this is really what's needed one streaming service with lots of the streamers bundled to compete with the cable crooks.

The firestick does something like this by bundling the apps but not the charges.

Slightly off-path here...but has anyone tried TMobile or Verizon's Internet service? I think they charge around $40/month. I've been thinking about giving that a shot because XFinity costs me now $106, but my main concern would be the quality/speed and not getting charges for streaming TV.

========

Austin Karp
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp
@AustinKarp

BREAKING: ESPN, Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox are creating a joint venture, with the sides set to launch a new pay streaming service in the U.S. that will launch in the fall.

NFL, World Cup, NBA, other major properties will be on the service

Assuming that the NFL Ticket isn't part of this, and just the regional games on Fox/ESPN, this seems like it would be fine for NBA national games, college football and some hockey/baseball, but mainly the national things.

I'd probably get this if I could keep the NFL Ticket, and get my local teams, but my assumption is that this would only give me 1/2 of what I would want as a sports fan.

Slightly off-path here...but has anyone tried TMobile or Verizon's Internet service? I think they charge around $40/month. I've been thinking about giving that a shot because XFinity costs me now $106, but my main concern would be the quality/speed and not getting charges for streaming TV.

My brother has Verizon and no difference from cable - make sure you are in a 5g area

Is it possible to record from Tivimate premium onto a micro SD or USB drive on an older version Fire TV?
Or is the Fire Tv box just too old? (2015 version)

Streaming Live TV works quite well but the only way I can get it to record is to the internal storage which is pointless since it only has 3GB available

Is it possible to record from Tivimate premium onto a micro SD or USB drive on an older version Fire TV?
Or is the Fire Tv box just too old? (2015 version)

Streaming Live TV works quite well but the only way I can get it to record is to the internal storage which is pointless since it only has 3GB available
You could as long as you could get the drive to work with the Fire TV (I don't think it does, but not sure.) I have the NVDIA shield pro on my main TV that I do my recording on. I have a usb drive connected to it and it works very well on that other that if/when I have a buffering issue, which isn't very often.

Users who are viewing this thread