What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wha? Nick Mullens? Who in the..... (1 Viewer)

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Nick Mullens will "most likely" start Week 3 against the Giants.

The 49ers haven't ruled out Jimmy Garoppolo, but he's not expected to play though a high-ankle sprain. Mullens completed 8-of-11 passes for 71 yards with an interception coming off the bench for Garoppolo last week. Even in another good matchup with the Giants secondary, Mullens has a low floor with a downgraded supporting cast for his Week 3 spot start.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Sep 23, 2020, 12:54 PM ET

There's no way Garoppolo is playing this week. Any SF homers or anyone else think there's any shot of Mullens sneaking in and taking the job if he's able to play well for a 3 or 4 weeks? Wondering if he's worth a flyer in superflex leagues.

There's no way Garoppolo is playing this week. Any SF homers or anyone else think there's any shot of Mullens sneaking in and taking the job if he's able to play well for a 3 or 4 weeks? Wondering if he's worth a flyer in superflex leagues.
Football Outsiders liked his deep ball. They placed it in the top twenty. He's not afraid to sling it, apparently. Who knows? What if he gets in there and Wally Pipps Jimmy G? I'd say the question to add depends who you'd have to cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Nick Mullens will start Week 3 against the Giants.

This confirms Jimmy Garoppolo won't play through a high-ankle sprain. Mullens looked shaky off the bench last week but should be helped by a matchup with the Giants secondary. The injury-ravaged 49ers aren't likely to put up many points with Mullens leading a downgraded supporting cast this week.

RELATED: 

Jimmy Garoppolo

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Sep 25, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

Nick Mullens completed 25-of-36 passes for 343 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' Week 3 win over the Giants.

Mullens doesn't impress with raw traits, but he's an ideal fit with coach Kyle Shanahan, who plays to Mullens' strength as an accurate game manager type. As always, the 49ers offense utilized the screen game and lots of shallow crossers. The Giants refused to tackle anyone today, something the Eagles have struggled with as well if Mullens makes another start next week. Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle) is week to week. San Francisco may be welcoming George Kittle back to the lineup then.

Sep 27, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

Four Downs: Expectations for Nick Mullens in Second Start vs. Eagles

Excerpt:

Expectations for Nick Mullens

@KeianaMartinTV – 250 passing yards and two touchdowns

There was tape on Mullens from his eight starts in 2018. Now, the Eagles have that and his standout performance from Week 3 to dissect. The Eagles defense is desperate for their first win of the season and are certainly engrossed with limiting the 49ers offense.

The 49ers are facing a better defensive line than weeks past, however, with a secondary that has a few question marks with injuries. Last Sunday, the Eagles defensive line sacked Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow eight times and notched 18 quarterback hits on the day. Some of that pressure came off the blitz, as well. Through the first three weeks of the season, the 49ers offensive line has allowed 26 quarterback pressures, sitting just ahead of the league average.

Still, with the 49ers return of Kittle and (officially announced) Samuel, Mullens has gained two new weapons that we didn't see in his first start of the season. I'm sure Kyle Shanahan will put his quarterback in the best position to succeed. We may not see him light up the scoreboard like last week, but we'll definitely see the quarterback show off his improved arm strength with additional weapons at his disposal.

@SportsAnthony – 270 passing yards and 1 touchdown

I think we all knew heading into last week that Mullens could ball. In eight starts in 2018 he threw for over 2,200 yards and 13 touchdowns. But after last week's performance at MetLife Stadium, the quarterback threw 343 passing yards, a touchdown, completed 69 percent passing and finished with a quarterback rating of 108.9. Mullens was balling out of control. He was Tom Haverford from Parks & Rec's dream. He was buying the bar and partying next to the DJ. Mullens completely blew any expectations from last week out the window, but what will he do for a sequel?

Looking at the Eagles D, they only gave up 218.9 passing yards per game (ninth best in the NFL), but they also don't create turnovers. They have zero picks through their first three games and a league-low one takeaway. And they're banged up. Three of their DBs didn't practice Thursday. Mullens, meanwhile, has a game under his belt, a second week of practice knowing he's going to be the starter, and he gets George Kittle back. That would even make Peg Leg Pete a better QB.

If last week was an A+, I expect Mullens to get to a B this week with a tougher opponent. Give me 270 yards, and another touchdown pass. But it's not just my expectations Mullens must meet, he's starting to make national noise. I noticed on Thursday Night Football when promoting Sunday's game, Mullens was on the graphic. Expectations for Mullens this Sunday are high, but he's earned them.

We'll see if he's ready for his close-up.

Nick Mullens completed 18-of-25 passes for 238 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' Week 8 loss to the 49ers.

Mullens entered the game in the second half after Jimmy Garoppolo stunk up the joint while playing on a gimpy ankle. Garoppolo only had 84 yards and a 5.3 YPT average. It's safe to say Mullens looked like the far better quarterback on Sunday, although his production came in garbage time. Mullens' raw traits are questionable and he's still inexperienced, but he can get the ball out to his top playmakers. Coach Kyle Shanahan needs to take a longer look at keeping Mullens in if Garoppolo's ankle injury is hampering his performance, especially with the Niners playing on Thursday Night Football next. 

Nov 1, 2020, 7:57 PM ET

Nick Mullens completed 22-of-35 passes for 291 yards, one touchdown and an interception in the 49ers' 34-17, Week 9 loss to the Packers. 

Under 100 yards at halftime of a game where the 49ers were never competitive, Mullens took full advantage of garbage time to arrive at his 291/1 line, missing out on a second touchdown in the waning seconds when Jerick McKinnon punched in a pointless one-yarder. Playing behind an injury-wrecked offensive line with no skill players to speak of, Mullens was mostly brutally bad, though he did find Richie James for some big plays. Mullens' interception was an inexcusable pass he lofted in the process of getting wrecked by Preston Smith. Every time "Mullens > Jimmy Garoppolo?" debates flare up on Twitter, he seems to go out and do something like this, but there wasn't much anyone could do with this supporting cast. With Jimmy G now on I.R., Mullens will be under center for a Week 10 date with the Saints. Hopefully some of his pass catchers are off the COVID-19 list by then. 

Nov 5, 2020, 11:37 PM ET

Nick Mullens completed 26-of-39 passes for 316 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in the 49ers' 34-24, Week 13 loss to the Bills.

It was Mullens' first three-score game of the season since taking over for injured Jimmy Garoppolo. All of Mullens' touchdowns were short red-zone hookups to Brandon Aiyuk, Kyle Juszczyk, and a late one to Jordan Reed to pad the stats. Mullens can make plays in this league, but he does turn the ball over too much. His fourth-quarter interception on third-and-goal somewhat sealed this loss. Mullens will be a back-end QB2 in a Week 14 date with Washington.

Dec 7, 2020, 11:43 PM ET

Nick Mullens to start for Cleveland Browns Saturday against the Las Vegas Raiders

Excerpt:

Mullens, 26, last saw action in a regular-season game a year ago this week. His former 49ers squad fell to the Dallas Cowboys by the score of 41-33 with Mullens completing 21-of-36 passes for 219 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. 

A product of Southern Mississippi, Mullens ended up starting eight games for the 49ers in 2020. He completed 65% of his passes for 2,437 yards with as many touchdowns as interceptions (12). Back in 2018 as a rookie, he threw 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in eight starts — making some NFL history in the process

CLE is +4.5 at home

Im hoping it goes up , if it does I’m getting in
Just think Cle opened -7 in a must win game they have to win 3 out of their last 4 to have a shot at making playoffs me thinks.   Not likely winning at Green Bay on Xmas day.

Baker Mayfield and Case Keenum did not clear the NFL's COVID-19 protocols, making Nick Mullens the Browns' Week 16 starter against the Raiders. 

Mayfield said on social media Sunday night he was asymptomatic and hoping to clear the league's new COVID protocols, which require one negative test for vaccinated players. He apparently tested positive for the virus on Monday, setting up Mullens -- who has 25 touchdowns to 22 interceptions over 16 NFL starts -- as the team's starter against Vegas. All Cleveland pass catchers should be downgraded with Mullens under center. Nick Chubb and D'Ernest Johnson will likely be the centerpieces of the Cleveland offense with Mayfield and Keenum sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Baker Mayfield

, Case Keenum

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Dec 20, 2021, 10:16 AM ET

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings have named Nick Mullens their starting quarterback.

Mullens came in relief of Dobbs in Week 14 after the latter had proved to be ineffective. Dobbs started off completing 10-of-23 passes for 63 yards before being pulled. Mullens who is now healthy, completed 9-of-13 passes for 83 yards and led the Vikings to three points. The Vikings stuck with Dobbs after a four-interception performance in Week 12 against the Bears, but he couldn’t bounce back afterward. The Vikings will make their playoff push with Mullens.

With my Herbert down in one dynasty league and Minshew and Carr as alternatives, Mullens might get the start against a weaker defense against the pass, at least as far as yards and fantasy points go.

Lost Watson awhile ago, been rolling with just Herbert ever since since I could not find anyone to cut.

Thankfully my team got a bye this week and I picked up Mullens in anticipation of his week 16 matchup against the Lions. I did also factor in I have Jefferson, as well as Gibbs/ASB and just decided to go all in on the game as these are FFPC playoffs which is a 4 team total points and you usually got to come in big or else so I just went all in.

Now, he might suck or lose his job before next week and then I'll have to reasses things. This is a week to week thing for me filling my QB spot the last two weeks but can do a lot worse then a guy with outstanding weapons,a strong play caller and in a dome for his final two fantasy weeks.

I was offered him for a 3rd round pick in a dynasty SuperFlex league that I made the playoffs in, but rejected. Probably would have flex’d him over Jaylen Warren — decided that was too rich for a rental and don’t have high hopes for my team in the playoffs anyway as mostly got in through schedule luck (rolling with Joe Flacco as my QB1). Maybe I’ll regret it if he goes off and would have advanced with just a few extra points.

Users who are viewing this thread