What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you want for....? (2 Viewers)

I don't really care a lot either way but IMO when someone sends me the "I'm interested in this guy, what would it take" line I generally view it was as their attempt to be respectful and not send me an offer I might view as insulting. There is a lot of trade back and forth that annoys me, this is not one of them.
If the same owner only sends you Il interested in so and so and never sends an offer…regardless of requests. Do you just send out some offers back or how would you play that?
My standard reply is something like "I'll see if there is anything of interest and feel free to shoot me an offer" and sometimes will add comments like "I'm not really looking to move this player and would take a lot to move me" or "I'll just let you know I'm higher on this player then most" and fwiw when I say these things it's because I mean it.

At that point I'll go take a look at their roster and sometimes I won't see anything they could muster to offer me, sometimes......

That could sometimes be the case, but I’ve found that interested buyer teams want to avoid overpaying too much and hope that the would-be seller sets the initial baseline compensation. Obviously every person/league is different though.
....the only thing they could give me that worked me for it's hard to rationalize working for them but here is where they have opened the doors to talks and I have no problem sending them an offer that I'd not have sent out of the blue as it would have seemed to one sided and I'm someone who generally looks at the other teams roster and needs to see if my offers makes sense to them before I send it but in this case that goes out the window. I don't get to many people who seem offended by my offers in these cases but if they hint they are I'll just tell remind them they came shopping in my store, the price is the price, and if they counter something way off or try approach of constant negotiation where they try and keep trimming my price I'm usually pretty quick to shut it all down.
I encourage them to send over an offer, but they never do. I have responded with trade ideas.
My example it anecdotal and perhaps others have better luck with that as a starting point. For me I get no where.

I don't really have an issue with any negotiation tactic... including this one. I can see one looking at a roster they love and wondering what the market thinks, and being a little gun shy unsure if your counterpart values your guys the same. Sometimes I'll look at the other roster and say bluntly I can't see anything. Sometimes I'll say I like player X but need more. Sometimes I'll say I like player Y but that we'll need to figure out the gap (and sometimes I'm intentionally ambiguous on which side if the player has difference of opinion value). I guess I don't mind this opening style any worse that receiving no interaction at all. Sometimes these types of 'go nowhere interactions' can lead to other opportunities.

It is supposed to be fun. I win and lose trades all the time. I was stuck on just winning trades when I first started in dynasty leagues and was more insecure with my ability to value players. Now I am fine with sticking with my gut and losing trades.
This gap in realization/confidence of your own valuations are the biggest stumbling blocks to making any trade. Owners that have no confidence in their evaluation abilities will never pull the trigger on a deal because they are afraid of getting taken advantage of. It's better to do nothing than lose. It's terrible and sucks the fun out of trading.

I believe that the biggest reason why I seldom make trades is because of the disconnect between myself and other owners over trade etiquette. I have no problem making the initial offer. I don't bother with lowballs, but I might leave myself a little room by not making my absolute best offer. The other guy is insulted by my proposal, and becomes standoffish. Refuses to send a counter, or negotiate at all. This has happened more than once. Guys place different values on players, right? We're not all working off the same universal trade value chart. That's why negotiation exists. But God forbid if you can't read somebody's mind and try to determine what they are looking for in return.
I find that I make a lot of trades because I come right out with my best offer out of the gate. I know a lot of you don't like doing that and like you said, leave yourself room, but sometimes, if I really want a player, I don't mess around with that stuff and give my best offer right away. If they reject, I usually tell them that was my best offer. I can't tell you how many times this has happened and they immediately send the same offer back to me and I accept. Some people are surprised by that negotiation tactic and at first think, if that is his first offer, I must be able to get a better offer.

I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me. I try to make a good 1st offer.
When I ask another owner what on my team interests them it is an attempt to see what players the other guy values. You and I will not see things the same. I obviously like everyone on my team or I wouldn't have acquired them. But I don't know what players you might be higher on or lower on then the consensus. Rather than waste your time with players you have no interest in I am asking you to identify guys that would interest you. I am not looking for you to make the "first offer". I am looking for you to identify pieces you like. Once I have that information I can come up with an initial offer.

Owners that get offended by this request just shut everything down without ever having a chance to come to an agreement. It is very frustrating.

That's essentially why I will ask them to list my players/picks that they have any interest in. Everyone has different values and guys they like or things they want.
If you let me know what you like, I can actually make offers with players and/or picks that you actually have interest in.
Crazy concept I know
The bold is exactly why I ask the other owner to give me an idea of what interests them. What positions, players, etc do you want/need/like? I can look at your team and try and figure that out but if you and I value players differently my assumptions may be way off. If that happens the offers I make will look terrible to you and you think I am lowballing when I have made an honest attempt at something I would consider being on your side.

It cuts down a lot of issues if I can get an idea of your likes/dislikes before coming up with an offer.

I believe if an owner wants my Chase it is fine to ask if I have any interest in trading him, but it is on him to make a good offer (do the homework), not me, unless I feel obliged to. Like I said, 90% of the trades I make are initiated by me. I try to make a good 1st offer.
When I ask another owner what on my team interests them it is an attempt to see what players the other guy values. You and I will not see things the same. I obviously like everyone on my team or I wouldn't have acquired them. But I don't know what players you might be higher on or lower on then the consensus. Rather than waste your time with players you have no interest in I am asking you to identify guys that would interest you. I am not looking for you to make the "first offer". I am looking for you to identify pieces you like. Once I have that information I can come up with an initial offer.

Owners that get offended by this request just shut everything down without ever having a chance to come to an agreement. It is very frustrating.
I did make a post saying, "Well, if he has Jefferson I would say I like him. If he has the 1.01 and Gibbs I would say I like them. I would at least think about some kind of trade involving them."

It's ok to inquire if I'm open to trading someone, but I hate the "What do you want for xxx?". I'll never answer that question unless it's a player who I have already publicly put on the trade block. If you want one of my players, it's incumbent on you to make the first offer. I'll either reject it with a comment that we're not close in value, or, if it is close I might make a counter. Don't ask me to do the work of looking through your roster to come up with a reasonable trade offer for a player I'm not actively looking to trade.
This. If you're interested in trading for one my players in a dynasty (or in redraft), make an offer. That offer will tell me if you're serious or not. If I am asked, "who do you want for xxx?".....I always answer "at least market value". It's up to the other owner to decide what "market value" is, and if I will agree with it.

In the example of Chase, the deal better have an elite player from a position of need in return, or a combination of very good players and/or picks that makes my team better in the long run. You want a young elite dynasty WR, be prepared to pay through the roof.

I love it, same thing happened to me in a few leagues recently. “Hey, I am interested in Amon Ra. Is he available”.
That's essentially why I will ask them to list my players/picks that they have any interest in. Everyone has different values and guys they like or things they want.
If you let me know what you like, I can actually make offers with players and/or picks that you actually have interest in.
Crazy concept I know
The bold is exactly why I ask the other owner to give me an idea of what interests them. What positions, players, etc do you want/need/like? I can look at your team and try and figure that out but if you and I value players differently my assumptions may be way off. If that happens the offers I make will look terrible to you and you think I am lowballing when I have made an honest attempt at something I would consider being on your side.

It cuts down a lot of issues if I can get an idea of your likes/dislikes before coming up with an offer.
You would have very little success trading with myself. If I don’t get an offer, it means you’re not serious or confident enough to send a qualifier. That’s a quick reject for me. I will remind them that they are asking me to trade a player and not the other way around. Same in return, I will send what I think is a fair offer in hopes of getting talks going. No way will I ask, “hey, what do you want for player C?”

You would have very little success trading with myself. If I don’t get an offer, it means you’re not serious or confident enough to send a qualifier. That’s a quick reject for me. I will remind them that they are asking me to trade a player and not the other way around. Same in return, I will send what I think is a fair offer in hopes of getting talks going. No way will I ask, “hey, what do you want for player C?”
The bold is a very big assumption. I rarely ask "what do you want for player x". I typically go about it like this: "I have interest in player X. What players on my team interest you or what positions do you think you need help in?"

I am not looking for you to make an offer. I am looking to get on the same page as you so we can not waste time.

If you don't respond or say just make an offer then I will do so. But just blowing me off with that kind of inquiry is a big misunderstanding of my intentions.

The bold is a very big assumption. I rarely ask "what do you want for player x". I typically go about it like this: "I have interest in player X. What players on my team interest you or what positions do you think you need help in?"

I am not looking for you to make an offer. I am looking to get on the same page as you so we can not waste time.

If you don't respond or say just make an offer then I will do so. But just blowing me off with that kind of inquiry is a big misunderstanding of my intentions.
True, though a lot of this will depend on the history you have with the person who is reaching out.
If you know them to always ask about one of your players and never make offers, that's different than if the new guy or a guy you have never dealt with reaches out.

True, though a lot of this will depend on the history you have with the person who is reaching out.
If you know them to always ask about one of your players and never make offers, that's different than if the new guy or a guy you have never dealt with reaches out.
Knowing your trade partner is always key in trying to get a deal done. Changing your approach to the individual you are trying to deal with will always lead to better negotiations for sure.

It's also easy to get frustrated after a couple back and forths when people are talking past each other. The biggest obstacle is usually things like the original bolded statement. Assuming the other guy's intentions based on a partial inquiry.

I have one guy that I don't even try with anymore. It is so frustrating seeing him make terrible deals with other owners and never being able to do anything. It's crazy because our player evaluations are so different that I would think it should be easy to make deals. Guys I like he thinks are terrible and vice versa. It should be an easy trade, right? I like this guy you don't and you like this guy but I don't. Let's swap. Unfortunately he also thinks I am trying to take advantage of him. I have won the league a lot. He has not. So if I ask about a guy (even if he hates him) his price triples. So I have learned that I can never approach him on a deal. I have to wait for him to come to me. It's just very frustrating because he will either give away (to other owners) players I tried to acquire but his price was just too high. It's the most frustration I have ever had in trying to make deals.

I try to be curtious in my interactions, however, if you don’t send an offer, then you’re not actually serious. It’s that simple to me. I don’t have player X on the block.

Asking me to begin a trade negotiation that I didn’t initiate will end quickly with absolutely no discussion.

I try to be curtious in my interactions, however, if you don’t send an offer, then you’re not actually serious. It’s that simple to me. I don’t have player X on the block.

Asking me to begin a trade negotiation that I didn’t initiate will end quickly with absolutely no discussion.
We likely wouldn't be making a lot of trades

Agreed.

I don’t understand the tactic of not sending an offer, to me it’s weak. It’s like the other guy is hoping I make a mistake or something. No go for me. I am not saying that is your tactic, just that is how it feels to me.

With that said, I trade plenty across my 5 dynasty leagues. Sometimes it goes great and other times, not so much.

I don’t understand the tactic of not sending an offer, to me it’s weak. It’s like the other guy is hoping I under or something. No go for me. I am not saying that is your tactic, just that is how it feels to me.
Usually I have been in discussions with another owner and have an idea of what they like or don't like. In those instances I make an offer if I am the one inquiring. In cases when I haven't been talking with the guy, I will ask how he sees his team and what players he might have interest in to make an offer.

Bottom line, asking another owner what interests him off my team doesn't seem like a question that should lead to a "no go" for the other guy.

I don’t understand the tactic of not sending an offer, to me it’s weak. It’s like the other guy is hoping I under or something. No go for me. I am not saying that is your tactic, just that is how it feels to me.

Bottom line, asking another owner what interests him off my team doesn't seem like a question that should lead to a "no go" for the other guy.
If it does, then that guy sounds like a total no-fun type of dude for the league, and I'd just view it as an 11 man league

Agreed.

I don’t understand the tactic of not sending an offer, to me it’s weak. It’s like the other guy is hoping I make a mistake or something. No go for me. I am not saying that is your tactic, just that is how it feels to me.

With that said, I trade plenty across my 5 dynasty leagues. Sometimes it goes great and other times, not so much.
Of course it's a tactic, it's a tactic of negotiation where you know what is of interest for both sides so you don't have to waste time and time and time and time........it's a time saver for BOTH teams.

If you are talking about the kind of guy who just keeps asking you to send offers them sure, avoid.
However, if another team asks you what you have interest in on his team, it actually benefits you to answer

Agreed.

Of course it's a tactic, it's a tactic of negotiation where you know what is of interest for both sides so you don't have to waste time and time and time and time........it's a time saver for BOTH teams.

If you are talking about the kind of guy who just keeps asking you to send offers them sure, avoid.
However, if another team asks you what you have interest in on his team, it actually benefits you to answer
I agree with this. If someone asks me what from his team I might be interested in, I'm all for looking at his roster and tell him what from his team I like. What I don't want to do is look at his team for a deal for a specific player from my team if he begins the conversation, "what from my team would you want for Chase?". If he initiates trade discussions, then he can make me a fair offer and I'll either reject, accept, or make a counter. Usually when this occurs I will offer a comment.

Edit: I typically don't want to do the homework from his team if he asks, "What do you want for so and so", but if he has players I like I will tell him, but I still expect an offer after doing that. If he had someone I like and I started the conversation wanting someone from his team and he mentions players from my team he likes, I'll make him an offer.

Last edited:

If it does, then that guy sounds like a total no-fun type of dude for the league, and I'd just view it as an 11 man league
Unfortunately one of my 16-man leagues is more like a 5-man league.
:doh:

If someone asks me what from his team I might be interested in, I'm all for looking at his roster and tell him what from his team I like. What I won't do is look at his team for a deal for a specific player from my team if he begins the conversation, "what from my team would you want for Chase?". If he initiates trade discussions, then he can make me a fair offer and I'll either reject, accept, or make a counter.
I just don't understand this distinction. So If I am interested in any player on your team I should ask blindly who you like on me team without stating who I like on your team and all will be fine. However, if I say I am interested in player X, what interests you off my team you shut down and won't engage because I didn't send an "offer"?

If someone asks me what from his team I might be interested in, I'm all for looking at his roster and tell him what from his team I like. What I won't do is look at his team for a deal for a specific player from my team if he begins the conversation, "what from my team would you want for Chase?". If he initiates trade discussions, then he can make me a fair offer and I'll either reject, accept, or make a counter.
I just don't understand this distinction. So If I am interested in any player on your team I should ask blindly who you like on me team without stating who I like on your team and all will be fine. However, if I say I am interested in player X, what interests you off my team you shut down and won't engage because I didn't send an "offer"?
Agree

I'm fine with engaging in conversation regardless if the initial conversation started with "what from my team would you want for Chase?". I posted earlier, "Well, if he has Jefferson I would say I like him. If he has the 1.01 and Gibbs I would say I like them. I would at least think about some kind of trade involving them.". So, I kind of spoke out of both sides of my mouth with my post you responded to and edited that post to be more clear. What I'm trying to say is, I typically expect someone to make a fair initial offer if they are the one wanting a specific player from me. However, I will look at their roster and if I see something I like I may make an offer, like the example earlier where he wants Chase and his team has Jefferson, Gibbs, 1.01, etc. Maybe something can be worked out in some kind of package deal.

Last edited:
Sometimes talks go nowhere.
While true, I almost always try to take it to chat on GroupMe or text to get a back
& forth going - it’s a good way to ascertain whether there’s a workable situation or a waste of time without having to reject & counter 137 times.
Yeah you can at least get information even if no deal is done.

It's dynasty. I have had talks like this break down then 9 months later the guy will ask if I am still interested in a player I mentioned to them back then and we strike a deal then.

I think some of you are letting proprietary get in the way of opportunity.

I wouldn't have a problem with hypotheticals. Say for example an owner is interested in Chase and says to me "would you be interested in a package that includes Josh Allen? You really need a QB and you're stacked at receiver" Something like this can spark a conversation, since at least I can see what the main piece(s) would be. But I much rather prefer the other owner to show interest by making a formal offer.

But the key is that the other owner needs to put in some thought before starting dialogue with me. Just saying "what do you want for xxxxx?" isn't good enough.

No, my point on this one is when someone unsolicited approaches me for a trade for a player(usually a top end guy), I always answer that I am open to offers, at all times. However, I am not going to offer a trade on a player that I wasn’t planning on moving. That job falls on your hands, remember, YOU are the one that wants that player. I may tell him I like player d or whatever, but that’s as far as I will go.

I wouldn't have a problem with hypotheticals. Say for example an owner is interested in Chase and says to me "would you be interested in a package that includes Josh Allen? You really need a QB and you're stacked at receiver" Something like this can spark a conversation, since at least I can see what the main piece(s) would be. But I much rather prefer the other owner to show interest by making a formal offer.

But the key is that the other owner needs to put in some thought before starting dialogue with me. Just saying "what do you want for xxxxx?" isn't good enough.
Exactly how I feel.

This thread was initially an attempt at sarcastic humor, but has turned into an interesting discussion. I especially liked @BLOCKED_PUNT response, "Dude stop shaming me".

Another thing I'll throw in, a lot of times I'm looking to do the "overpay with 5 dimes to get that big shiny quarter" deal, and I'll specify 2 or 3 or however many guys on my roster are not on the table (anyone who is close to the target in value, or higher value than the target), and say, "is there anything among the rest of my guys that would get it done?" That's how I acquired Gibbs mid-season, though I paid a lot.

Another thing I'll throw in, a lot of times I'm looking to do the "overpay with 5 dimes to get that big shiny quarter" deal, and I'll specify 2 or 3 or however many guys on my roster are not on the table (anyone who is close to the target in value, or higher value than the target), and say, "is there anything among the rest of my guys that would get it done?" That's how I acquired Gibbs mid-season, though I paid a lot.
Correct me if I am misunderstanding but I would think that would be the epitome of what @candian fantasy guy and @JohnnyU would hate to receive.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding but I would think that would be the epitome of what @candian fantasy guy and @JohnnyU would hate to receive.
That kind of reaching out is better than nothing, but very likely not gonna get anywhere in terms of a deal

Maybe. Though, if we're talking sliding scale, it's one step closer to a specific offer.

I've sent out inquiries to multiple teams at once telling them who I have interest in, asking them to tell me who on my team is of interest to them, and tell them once I have that info I will look to send a few offers.
The reactions to that are wildly different, as you can tell by this thread.

I've sent out inquiries to multiple teams at once telling them who I have interest in, asking them to tell me who on my team is of interest to them, and tell them once I have that info I will look to send a few offers.
Maybe, you are unlike the owner that consistently does this to me. If I would respond I am open to trading make an offer...would you try to come up with an offer or would you continue to say you don't know who to offer up for that player?

I did that for Russell Wilson in SF when he went to PIT

Dude sent over an offer of me getting nothing for my Lamb, AJB, Puka, Ernest Jones, Maxx, and my 2026 1st.

With a note that said, “these are the pieces I’d be interested in”

I then tried to get Russ for a more reasonable price (Thibadeaux & a 2026 2nd) and it was rejected, along with 7 other totally reasonable (generous even) offers. I bounced several off @Gally who can attest that several were extremely fair.

There’s simply no reasoning with some people.

Last edited:
Dude sent over an offer of me getting nothing for my Lamb, AJB, Puka, Ernest Jones, Maxx, and my 2026 1st.

With a note that said, “these are the pieces I’d be interested in”

I then tried to get Russ for a more reasonable price (Thibadeaux & a 2026 2nd) and it was rejected, along with 7 other totally reasonable (generous even) offers.

There’s simply no reasoning with some people.
To be fair, if you asked him what interests him on your team then you got a list of players he was interested in. Doesn't mean he was looking for all those guys for RW but that he is interested in those players. It would then be up to you to work up an offer accordingly. Now if you didn't want to make a bigger deal for more than RW (which I know your situation but for the purposes of this discussion) then it's an easy response of, I was just looking at a simple deal for RW so none of those guys really fit that parameter.

I have had this response when I have reached out to another owner asking for a list of players off my team he might be interested in. I will get an offer of all those guys off my team for nothing off his team with a note saying "I have interest in these guys". That at least gives me a starting point to craft an offer for someone I might want off the other guys team.

I have also done this in reverse to some degree. I will list three or four players I have interest in from him with a note that says, "I have interest in these guys Are they available? Let me know if there is anything you are looking for and I will come up with an offer"

I have had this response when I have reached out to another owner asking for a list of players off my team he might be interested in. I will get an offer of all those guys off my team for nothing off his team with a note saying "I have interest in these guys". That at least gives me a starting point to craft an offer for someone I might want off the other guys team.

I have also done this in reverse to some degree. I will list three or four players I have interest in from him with a note that says, "I have interest in these guys Are they available? Let me know if there is anything you are looking for and I will come up with an offer"

Sure - totally reasonable.

But not at all when I’m asking about a player like Russell Wilson.

Not one of those assets would be of equal value or remotely close to Russell Wilson as they’re all elite at their positions.

Russell Wilson is a 35 y/o noodle arm on a 1-year contract. And that was before JF was breathing down his neck.

So yeah - if I’m approaching someone out of the blue I might send a list of assets I’m interested in to see if they’re available. But as a response to “what would you want for Russell Wilson” it’s completely obnoxious.

So yeah - if I’m approaching someone out of the blue I might send a list of assets I’m interested in to see if they’re available. But as a response to “what would you want for Russell Wilson” it’s completely obnoxious.
Did you ask "what do you want for RW" or did you say you were interested in working a deal for RW so "take a look at my team and let me know what interests you"? Those are two drastically different scenarios. One is fine to get the response you got and the other is not.

Maybe, you are unlike the owner that consistently does this to me. If I would respond I am open to trading make an offer...would you try to come up with an offer or would you continue to say you don't know who to offer up for that player?
I'd ask who you have interest in, and make an offer after your response, even if you say you don't know

Did you ask "what do you want for RW" or did you say you were interested in working a deal for RW so "take a look at my team and let me know what interests you"? Those are two drastically different scenarios. One is fine to get the response you got and the other is not.
The latter. I told him I was interested in Russell, Wilson, and one of my team might you be interested in?

Then he sent me that offer.

Last edited:
A ladder. I told him I was interested in Russell, Wilson, and one of my team might you be interested in?

What he sent wasn't an offer. It was a list of players he liked off your team. Big difference

(Unless I am misunderstanding something).

A ladder. I told him I was interested in Russell, Wilson, and one of my team might you be interested in?

What he sent wasn't an offer. It was a list of players he liked off your team. Big difference

(Unless I am misunderstanding something).
no, that’s correct.

But what I’m saying is, in response to what do you like on my roster for Russell Wilson, he’s telling me he wants one of my 3 top 10 WR, the DE1, a LB1, or a 1st round pick.

Not one iota of that is realistic for Russell Noidle Arm Wilson.

lol

I was willing to make him offers including the 1st, but he wasn’t interested in giving up anything of value with Russ for the 1st.

So :shrug:

You even said you were shocked he didn’t accept 2 of my offers. It was just a massive waste of time.

But no - he was not offering nothing for my 6 best players & a 1st. He was saying those were the pieces that interested him.

Which, IMO, was still terrible because none were realistic trade pieces for Wilson. Not remotely.

Last edited:
I have a guy in my 32-team "homer" league that is absolutely on my butt for the 1.02 rookie pick. I am in a complete rebuild, and he keeps offering a total lot of garbage for the pick. He keeps emailing me, asking "what do you want for the pick?". And I keep responding "I'm not actively shopping the pick, but if someone offers something absolutely insane I'd consider it".

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
It's wild. I mean, it's IDP as well so we are starting guys you've literally never heard of.

But it's a super fun challenge.

I inherited a team that is full of straight-up garbage. The prior owner kept trading his 1st-round picks for hot trash that he ended up dropping a couple months after. Finally the guy just quit and the league commishes have let me babysit the franchise for the past couple of years without needing to pay for dues. It's that bad. I at least have the 1.02 (assuming this is Nabers) and the 1.18 where I'm hoping to just take BPA.

Anyways, back to topic... this guy is just throwing crap at me, trying to see what sticks. In a league like this... in a position I'm in.... it will take a miracle to pull it from me.

Users who are viewing this thread