What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you want for....? (1 Viewer)

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
Anyways, back to topic... this guy is just throwing crap at me, trying to see what sticks. In a league like this... in a position I'm in.... it will take a miracle to pull it from me.
Just got another offer from this dude...

Malcolm Koonce, who... while the name isn't super sexy... is a total starter-level player

FOR

4 dudes you've never heard of that are all backups.

His claim: "you need warm bodies".

Yeah, I can get guys like that for $1 each on the wire once the season starts.

Some people think they can just fleece. I've been around WAY too long, fella. :lol:

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
Anyways, back to topic... this guy is just throwing crap at me, trying to see what sticks. In a league like this... in a position I'm in.... it will take a miracle to pull it from me.

Malcolm Koonce, who... while the name isn't super sexy... is a total starter-level player

FOR

Some people think they can just fleece. I've been around WAY too long, fella. :lol:
quality vs. quanity

Honestly I have a dude like that in every league. Just spams everyone bad offers, and every blue moon someone accepts one and the whole league heckles the dude on the message board/league chat.

It’s exhausting.

It is almost as if you have read Negotiation 101 and are surprised when the other party has done the same
Exactly.

If I want a guy, I'll message saying I'm looking for a guy at a certain position. Offer some players who might be available they he may be interested in.

Then after a few
32 teams.

That seems troublesome.

FOR

This is total IDP talk, but I wanna trade an offensive player, plus a defender they want, for a better offensive player. DE, even better.

I don’t understand the tactic of not sending an offer, to me it’s weak. It’s like the other guy is hoping I under or something. No go for me. I am not saying that is your tactic, just that is how it feels to me.
Usually I have been in discussions with another owner and have an idea of what they like or don't like. In those instances I make an offer if I am the one inquiring. In cases when I haven't been talking with the guy, I will ask how he sees his team and what players he might have interest in to make an offer.

Bottom line, asking another owner what interests him off my team doesn't seem like a question that should lead to a "no go" for the other guy.
In this instance, if I know you are going to send an offer, that would be different and I would treat it that way. But that has not been my experience so far over at FFPC.

Here are a couple of examples that have happened to me in the last few weeks.

12 team FFPC SF triflex league

I bought an orphan last offseason for 1$, it’s obviously a rebuild. I have a 3 year plan and I am going into year 2 with the 1.01 in hand. The league winner reaches out “hey bro, what would it take for the 1.01”. Me, “Well, considering I am not actively shopping it, likely lots”. Him, “Ok, check out my roster and send me an offer”, me “crickets”. This to me was not a serious reach out and I treated as such. I did check out his roster, I already have his first 3 pick and many of his players just didn’t get me excited. I am drafting Caleb.

A few weeks ago, a very similar interaction in a 12 SF FFPC league regarding A St Brown.

Guy reaches out asking if I’m willing to trade ASB, “I mean sure, at the right price, but I am not actively shopping him”. This particular guy sends me an offer, Godwin, Barkley and a 2025 2nd. I am like “no thanks, this is not the kind of deal I would be looking for”. He replies “send me a counter”. Me “Umm no, I am not actively looking to trade him and I feel like we are way too far apart”. Replies”you are difficult”

anyways, trading isn’t easy!

Yeah, those types of guys are totally frustrating. I think this happens a lot when owners don't trust their evaluation skills enough to make offers. They don't want to get screwed in a deal so they don't want to make an offer. I would say one of the most important traits to being able to make trades is dealing with owners that are confident in their evaluation skills and are not afraid to "lose" a trade. Unfortunately there aren't that many owners with that skill in most leagues.

Yeah, those types of guys are totally frustrating. I think this happens a lot when owners don't trust their evaluation skills enough to make offers. They don't want to get screwed in a deal so they don't want to make an offer. I would say one of the most important traits to being able to make trades is dealing with owners that are confident in their evaluation skills and are not afraid to "lose" a trade. Unfortunately there aren't that many owners with that skill in most leagues.

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
I’ve been in two of these (32 teams, only one copy of each player) as salary cap leagues, it’s somewhat surprising how much QBs go for, especially if their salary is low. The most valuable player I had was Eli manning at like 1/4 the cap of other decent QBs (yeah it was awhile ago).

32 teams with two copies of each player is the best size imo.

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
How would you like to be the commissioner having to replace teams all the time in that league? Even if it’s a great league you know there are one or a few to have to find new owners every year in a 32 team league.
I’ve been the treasurer for maybe a decade now, asst commish for a few years. Quit as full commish after one, that does take a lot of time. In 22 years we’ve never had a problem replacing owners.

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
How would you like to be the commissioner having to replace teams all the time in that league? Even if it’s a great league you know there are one or a few to have to find new owners every year in a 32 team league.
I’ve been the treasurer for maybe a decade now, asst commish for a few years. Quit as full commish after one, that does take a lot of time. In 22 years we’ve never had a problem replacing owners.
I was invited to a start-up 32 teamer this year. SF PPR TE-P, full IDP.

I passed.

32 teams.

That seems troublesome.
I don't doubt it, because I did say, "even if it's a great league", but I was making a point that you can almost guarantee to have to replace a few each year based on the sheer number of teams in the league. You still have to go through the process of listing the team(s), collecting fees, running the dispersal draft (if more than one team probably), loading rosters, etc. etc.

on a more serious note, I'll fully read and comment when I stop being so lazy but I like to encourage my guys to fill out thier trade block and hope that helps spur some trade talk.

The way I see it you only have 11 other teams to trade with.

If you don't like half of those 11 teams negotiating tactics or more then you have pretty limited options.

If you don't like half of those 11 teams negotiating tactics or more then you have pretty limited options.
For the situations I have run into it is 1 guy across 7 leagues that operate like that. Not half the owners. Most owners seem able to make offers and negotiate. The one guy that only asks who I like is the lone black wolf.

It's usually just one or two owners in any given league that do this, and I still make trades with those guys. Most of my trades are ones where I initiated the conversation by making an offer.

I enjoy the guy who offers garbage player after garbage player trying to take a stud off someone's hands and then is absolutely livid when the player is moved for a better transaction... they are the first to veto and storm the message board talking about how it isn't fair, league integrity, etc. Didn't care about league integrity when you were trying to get CMC for a package of Treylon Burks, Jayden Reed and Khalil Herbert + 2nd round pick?

Users who are viewing this thread