What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What fraction of timschochet's posts are blatantly plagiarized? (1 Viewer)

Please indicate your best estimate

• 100% - it's all lifted from somewhere else

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • 80-99%

Votes: 34 24.8%
  • 60-79%

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • 40-59%

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • 20-39%

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • 1-19%

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • 0% - it's still real to me

Votes: 13 9.5%

• Total voters
'timschochet said:
'Mr. Pickles said:
:D I suppose "blatant plagiarized" is correct, since I've never denied it. However, the example you posted is not a good one, since I had to change so much of it around to suit my purposes that probably only about 30% of it can be attributed to the original source (which any reader of that thread knows is Rock of Ages.) But enjoy your fun :thumbup:

ETA- wrong post, sorry. The one you cited was from earlier in the thread, and taken directly from a website, which I also admitted at the time.
Ah, ok, so now I see the distinction between plagarism and blatant plagarism. tyvm.

Don't get the hate. I disagree with Tim on a wide range of topics and he is occasionally long winded. Of course who am I to talk about long winded? But I don't have a problem with him posting or doing his thing. Who is he hurting again?

On the plagiarism thing that's a pretty serious charge. I think in general Tim does better than a lot of posters here on this front. I see lots of snippets that are entirely to well written for the poster who posts them. I assume they come from elsewhere. It's not being done for profit and as long as they fess once the source is identified so what? It's only the guys that fight the reality that piss me off.

So I didn't vote because I think the poll should be on the whole FFA not just Tim. And I would bet that percentage, when we talk any heavy knowledge based subject matter, is a lot higher than most would think or come close to admitting.

Don't get the hate. I disagree with Tim on a wide range of topics and he is occasionally long winded. Of course who am I to talk about long winded? But I don't have a problem with him posting or doing his thing. Who is he hurting again?On the plagiarism thing that's a pretty serious charge. I think in general Tim does better than a lot of posters here on this front. I see lots of snippets that are entirely to well written for the poster who posts them. I assume they come from elsewhere. It's not being done for profit and as long as they fess once the source is identified so what? It's only the guys that fight the reality that piss me off.So I didn't vote because I think the poll should be on the whole FFA not just Tim. And I would bet that percentage, when we talk any heavy knowledge based subject matter, is a lot higher than most would think or come close to admitting.
Thick as thieves I am just shocked that such a bright mind as Timmy has to result to plagiarizing wiser sources. Hopefully, somedayTimmy will be able to ramble on and on and only use the thoughts and words running between his own two ears. Until then, its blah, blah, blah blah, blah.

Don't get the hate. I disagree with Tim on a wide range of topics and he is occasionally long winded. Of course who am I to talk about long winded? But I don't have a problem with him posting or doing his thing. Who is he hurting again?On the plagiarism thing that's a pretty serious charge. I think in general Tim does better than a lot of posters here on this front. I see lots of snippets that are entirely to well written for the poster who posts them. I assume they come from elsewhere. It's not being done for profit and as long as they fess once the source is identified so what? It's only the guys that fight the reality that piss me off.So I didn't vote because I think the poll should be on the whole FFA not just Tim. And I would bet that percentage, when we talk any heavy knowledge based subject matter, is a lot higher than most would think or come close to admitting.
You need to relax.

as a general rule if there is punctuation in my posts it is from someone else;

You need to relax.
Plenty relaxed. You need to let it go.

Don't get the hate. I disagree with Tim on a wide range of topics and he is occasionally long winded. Of course who am I to talk about long winded? But I don't have a problem with him posting or doing his thing. Who is he hurting again?

On the plagiarism thing that's a pretty serious charge. I think in general Tim does better than a lot of posters here on this front. I see lots of snippets that are entirely to well written for the poster who posts them. I assume they come from elsewhere. It's not being done for profit and as long as they fess once the source is identified so what? It's only the guys that fight the reality that piss me off.

So I didn't vote because I think the poll should be on the whole FFA not just Tim. And I would bet that percentage, when we talk any heavy knowledge based subject matter, is a lot higher than most would think or come close to admitting.

Rule of thumb is that if the post does not contain the word "shameful", it's probably taken from another source. A quick review of Tim's posts suggests that only about 5% of them are copied.

Rule of thumb is that if the post does not contain the word "shameful", it's probably taken from another source. A quick review of Tim's posts suggests that only about 5% of them are copied.
Now THIS is constructive criticism. I do use that word too often don't I? I've got to stop that.

There have been several scandals concerning literary works which have had sections "borrowed" from others in them. In addition there have been continuing discussions of whether copying and altering other's work is appropriate. The general consensus is that this is a "bad thing". I'd like to argue the other side.

Plagiarism has a long and noble history. Shakespeare stole plot ideas as well as key pieces of dialog. Bach copied works of Vivaldi, in some cases adding instrumentation and in some cases reducing works to a single keyboard.

The original Three Penny Opera consists only of popular songs of the day with new words. The familiarity was part of the appeal. Mozart's arias were so popular that they were reworked for instruments as soon as the operas were staged. Beethoven wrote variations on themes of Mozart. Brahms used Haydn's themes, Rachmaninoff used Corelli and Chopin. Liszt and the other pianists of his age made careers out of arrangements of popular operas for piano.

In the visual arts there is a similar tradition which culminated in a sense in the work of Andy Warhol. Not content with copying the style or subjects of others, he used photo-mechanical methods to put actual reproductions of works into his creations.

In the movies we have the constant pattern of hits of the past being redone for a new age. Some popular stories have started as silent films and are still being recreated. Dracula is a good example.

In contemporary literature there have been several recent cases of verbatim paragraphs being lifted without attribution. I'm not interested in debating whether this is a copyright violation or "fair use". Copyright is designed to protect the monetary interests of publishers and (indirectly) authors and artists.

Suppose a mediocre book has passages lifted and put into a new work which is better than the original. That is certainly the case with Shakespeare. If people enjoy the new work then isn't this a valid aesthetic experience for them?

Much recent music consists of performers cutting, remixing and otherwise altering existing recorded music. How is this any different than the use of collage by visual artists? New software has extended this to the realm of video as well. Ren and Stimpy probably started the trend by adding a running commentary to existing images.

So, where is plagiarism not appropriate?

The first area is in scholarly publishing. By using the work of others without acknowledgment the chain of verification is broken. When research is published it is important that others know where the data comes from and who did the work so that the results can be reproduced, or otherwise double checked. If this attribution is abused than the scholarly work can potentially damage public knowledge.

A similar condition applies to news gathering. Without the ability to check sources news risks becoming propaganda. For news not only is plagiarism a danger, but so are anonymous attributions. This is a technique that is quite popular these days and has led to a general lowering of the public's opinion of the trustworthiness of the news media.

Because of increasingly restrictive copyright laws the cost (in time and money) of obtaining permission to use material has increased. In many cases copyright holders use their control to exercise censorship over material. In the past this was mostly the case when correspondence between well-known people was going to be published. One party would not allow this use because they didn't want their dirty laundry aired. These days restrictions are applied to items as trivial as a few words or notes from a popular song. This leads to plagiarism. Over control leads to breaking of the law.

The other issue is "artistic control". Many argue that allowing others to alter their work violates their "vision". I say that is just the way of the world. Once your "child" is out and about you no longer get to say what happens next. At most there should be a disclaimer that the derivative work is not "authorized". A good example of this issue concerns the case where commercial firms "clean up" movies and TV shows their customer's find objectionable. As long as the copy being modified is paid for what's the difference between me getting out the scissors and me hiring a firm to do the electronic equivalent on my copy? The objections are commercial, masquerading as artistic integrity.

The web has opened up new ways to expropriate other's work. A common one is to use an 'img' tag on a web page to incorporate an image from elsewhere. This happens (to me) all the time. Is it any different than cutting a picture out of magazine and pasting it into one's own diary and then sharing it with friends? We all are aware of the large number of music and video files being "shared". This is not plagiarism, this is theft.

The "intellectual property" interests have gotten so strong that a rational discussion of the balance between creativity and commerce does not seem possible. In fact current trends point toward preventing buyers from copying or altering copyrighted material even for their own use.

It is time for plagiarists to explain how art grows through imitation and adaptation, so far all the arguments have been from those interested in making a buck.

Moral: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

There have been several scandals concerning literary works which have had sections "borrowed" from others in them. In addition there have been continuing discussions of whether copying and altering other's work is appropriate. The general consensus is that this is a "bad thing". I'd like to argue the other side.

Plagiarism has a long and noble history. Shakespeare stole plot ideas as well as key pieces of dialog. Bach copied works of Vivaldi, in some cases adding instrumentation and in some cases reducing works to a single keyboard.

The original Three Penny Opera consists only of popular songs of the day with new words. The familiarity was part of the appeal. Mozart's arias were so popular that they were reworked for instruments as soon as the operas were staged. Beethoven wrote variations on themes of Mozart. Brahms used Haydn's themes, Rachmaninoff used Corelli and Chopin. Liszt and the other pianists of his age made careers out of arrangements of popular operas for piano.

In the visual arts there is a similar tradition which culminated in a sense in the work of Andy Warhol. Not content with copying the style or subjects of others, he used photo-mechanical methods to put actual reproductions of works into his creations.

In the movies we have the constant pattern of hits of the past being redone for a new age. Some popular stories have started as silent films and are still being recreated. Dracula is a good example.

In contemporary literature there have been several recent cases of verbatim paragraphs being lifted without attribution. I'm not interested in debating whether this is a copyright violation or "fair use". Copyright is designed to protect the monetary interests of publishers and (indirectly) authors and artists.

Suppose a mediocre book has passages lifted and put into a new work which is better than the original. That is certainly the case with Shakespeare. If people enjoy the new work then isn't this a valid aesthetic experience for them?

Much recent music consists of performers cutting, remixing and otherwise altering existing recorded music. How is this any different than the use of collage by visual artists? New software has extended this to the realm of video as well. Ren and Stimpy probably started the trend by adding a running commentary to existing images.

The first area is in scholarly publishing. By using the work of others without acknowledgment the chain of verification is broken. When research is published it is important that others know where the data comes from and who did the work so that the results can be reproduced, or otherwise double checked. If this attribution is abused than the scholarly work can potentially damage public knowledge.

A similar condition applies to news gathering. Without the ability to check sources news risks becoming propaganda. For news not only is plagiarism a danger, but so are anonymous attributions. This is a technique that is quite popular these days and has led to a general lowering of the public's opinion of the trustworthiness of the news media.

Because of increasingly restrictive copyright laws the cost (in time and money) of obtaining permission to use material has increased. In many cases copyright holders use their control to exercise censorship over material. In the past this was mostly the case when correspondence between well-known people was going to be published. One party would not allow this use because they didn't want their dirty laundry aired. These days restrictions are applied to items as trivial as a few words or notes from a popular song. This leads to plagiarism. Over control leads to breaking of the law.

The other issue is "artistic control". Many argue that allowing others to alter their work violates their "vision". I say that is just the way of the world. Once your "child" is out and about you no longer get to say what happens next. At most there should be a disclaimer that the derivative work is not "authorized". A good example of this issue concerns the case where commercial firms "clean up" movies and TV shows their customer's find objectionable. As long as the copy being modified is paid for what's the difference between me getting out the scissors and me hiring a firm to do the electronic equivalent on my copy? The objections are commercial, masquerading as artistic integrity.

The web has opened up new ways to expropriate other's work. A common one is to use an 'img' tag on a web page to incorporate an image from elsewhere. This happens (to me) all the time. Is it any different than cutting a picture out of magazine and pasting it into one's own diary and then sharing it with friends? We all are aware of the large number of music and video files being "shared". This is not plagiarism, this is theft.

The "intellectual property" interests have gotten so strong that a rational discussion of the balance between creativity and commerce does not seem possible. In fact current trends point toward preventing buyers from copying or altering copyrighted material even for their own use.

It is time for plagiarists to explain how art grows through imitation and adaptation, so far all the arguments have been from those interested in making a buck.

Nicely done! :thumbup:

Nicely done! :thumbup:
:confused: Somebody stole that from me!

During my first year in the FFA (2007-2008) I had two aliases, Adam Smith and Winston Churchill. I haven't used either of them since.

In the summer of 2010, as both a joke and an experiment, I had an alias named Burton who made political arguments opposite my own.

That's it for me. I've had no other aliases here.

During my first year in the FFA (2007-2008) I had two aliases, Adam Smith and Winston Churchill. I haven't used either of them since. In the summer of 2010, as both a joke and an experiment, I had an alias named Burton who made political arguments opposite my own. That's it for me. I've had no other aliases here.
Adam West

During my first year in the FFA (2007-2008) I had two aliases, Adam West and Winston Churchill. I haven't used either of them since.

In the summer of 2010, as both a joke and an experiment, I had an alias named Burton who made political arguments opposite my own.

Adam West
RIght. Mistype there. Oh, and I forgot Ayn Rand. But that got changed to Ayn Rand fan, so I dropped it. Apparently someone in charge was afraid I might be confused with the real lady, back from the dead.

During my first year in the FFA (2007-2008) I had two aliases, Adam Smith and Winston Churchill. I haven't used either of them since. In the summer of 2010, as both a joke and an experiment, I had an alias named Burton who made political arguments opposite my own. That's it for me. I've had no other aliases here.
Wow. So you created an alias to argue with yourself? Jesus dude you need to get out of the house and live life.

Wow. So you created an alias to argue with yourself? Jesus dude you need to get out of the house and live life.
I don't believe you're really John Bender. I think your name ought to be changed to "John Bender fan".

You haven't lived until you've gone all Sybil on yourself.

During my first year in the FFA (2007-2008) I had two aliases, Adam West and Winston Churchill. I haven't used either of them since.

Adam West
RIght. Mistype there. Oh, and I forgot Ayn Rand. But that got changed to Ayn Rand fan, so I dropped it. Apparently someone in charge was afraid I might be confused with the real lady, back from the dead.
I have never had any aliases. Except the time I had four other aliases.

Adam West
same here

I am not in favor of tim sourcing everything. His posts would read like a David Foster Wallace novel. It would be too busy.

Adam West
same here
but...in the event that someone DID have an alias, and forgot the email address they used to get the alias, and forgot the password, would there be any means to get that situation cleared up0?

hypothetically of course

You need to relax.
If you were any more of a blowhard on this topic, Goodyear would be contacting you for advertising purposes.

When Eddie VanHalen used to play the clubs on the strip, he would turn his back to the audience when performing eruption type solos so all the rival guitarists standing on the front row wouldn't steal his stuff.....

You need to relax.
If you were any more of a blowhard on this topic, Goodyear would be contacting you for advertising purposes.
I wrote one post. You may need to look up blowhard.

Great moments in FFA plagiarism history

ThomasA lifts his entry from another source in the Smack Off Tournament. Shamed, he abruptly leaves the board and is never heard from again.

bueno engages yours truly in a political argument and manages to lift a few paragraphs from Ann Coulter. Called out by an unlikely source, he lacks contrition and suggests that Ann's ideas weren't that original anyway.

Konotay (aka golddigger), engaged in a debate bloodbath regarding evolution, feels overwhelmed and resorts to posting some drivel by a guy at the Discovery Institute as his own ideas. In a manner eerily similar to bueno, he lashes out at his accusers and proclaims that he got too lazy to type up something similar himself. This of course coming in the wake of claiming that he never even cites the Discovery Institute much less steals their stuff. Konotay decides that MasterOfOrion is his least sullied alias and rolls with that from then on. He also makes wild accusations about various posters being a "Pickles alias."

timschochet (aka Mr. Ham) retypes a majority of his material in his Civil War thread without proper attribution. When challenged, he says he mentioned this up front, but people have a difficult time finding any of his original thoughts in his posts. Similar transgressions appear in his threads about WWII and the History of Rock and Roll
:lmao:

You need to relax.
I wrote one post. You may need to look up blowhard.
Class Dismissed!

Users who are viewing this thread