What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is wrong with Anquan Boldin this year? (1 Viewer)

Thumper

Footballguy
I'm not referring to Boldin's minor ankle injury (that I'm sure will take him out of action for a month) that he suffered this weekend.

I'm referring to his general lack of production. I've only seen a couple of Cardinals games this year, but in those games Boldin was an after thought.

I can't figure out why he has been so unproductive so far this year. Does anyone know if there is something wrong with him or are the Cardinals simply not looking his way?

He's been banged up all year. Just when it looked like he was coming on now he has the ankle sprain.

I'm not referring to Boldin's minor ankle injury (that I'm sure will take him out of action for a month) that he suffered this weekend.I'm referring to his general lack of production. I've only seen a couple of Cardinals games this year, but in those games Boldin was an after thought.I can't figure out why he has been so unproductive so far this year. Does anyone know if there is something wrong with him or are the Cardinals simply not looking his way?
Kurt Warner and the Cardinals passing game got off to a very slow start and all of the numbers FF players expected from Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin are low. The did look good in the first half versus Houston and in part of the Seattle game, so hopefully they are getting in rhthym now.

Breaston and Urban aren't afterthoughts - unlike years past. Hightower is siphoning as well. Those three are are almost cumulatively pacing the Fitz/Boldin combo.

Times Targeted 2009 Game by Game Total Targets

Arizona Cardinals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Tot Rec Yds TD

Tim Hightower 14 3 8 bye 5 4 34 29 228 0

Beanie Wells 0 0 0 bye 0 1 1 1 7 0

Jason Wright 0 1 1 bye 0 0 2 2 10 1

LaRod Stephens-Howling 0 2 1 bye 2 1 6 3 22 0

Dan Kreider 1 0 1 bye 1 0 3 1 3 0

RB TOTAL 15 6 11 8 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 46 36 270 1

Larry Fitzgerald 11 5 13 bye 6 15 50 35 360 5

Anquan Boldin 5 9 11 bye 12 7 44 29 306 1

Steve Breaston inj 5 10 bye 6 9 30 23 320 1

Jerheme Urban 7 4 3 bye 5 3 22 15 172 0

Early Doucet inj inj inj bye inj inj 0 0 0 0

Sean Morey 0 0 0 bye 0 1 1 0 0 0

Lance Long 1 0 0 bye 0 0 1 0 0 0

WR TOTAL 24 23 37 29 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 148 102 1158 7

Stephen Spach 1 1 4 bye 0 0 6 3 16 0

Ben Patrick sp sp sp bye 0 1 1 1 10 0

Anthony Becht 1 2 1 bye 1 1 6 3 32 0

Dominique Byrd 0 0 0 bye 0 0 0 0 0 0

TE TOTAL 2 3 5 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 7 58 0

Last edited by a moderator:
elshagon said:
He's been banged up all year. Just when it looked like he was coming on now he has the ankle sprain.
Starting to think Boldin is soft. Every player gets nicked up, but this guy will miss games every year like clock work.

elshagon said:
Starting to think Boldin is soft. Every player gets nicked up, but this guy will miss games every year like clock work.
Yeah, that nasty hit he took a year or two ago where people thought he was going to be seriously hurt was nothing. Man, what a pansy. I'll bet he wouldn't even play through a broken let. Gimme a break, man. Go fish somewhere else.

Starting to think Boldin is soft.

Every player gets nicked up, but this guy will miss games every year like clock work.
:lmao: Boldin is far from soft.
Well the opposite of soft is durable. Sooooo...
No, it's not. The opposite of soft is tough. Boldin is about as tough as it gets. He's prone to injuries but that doesn't mean he's not tough. He's about as tough as it gets.Think Steve McNair - gets hurt all the time (injury prone) but plays through just about everything or comes back quicker than others would (not soft - tough).

elshagon said:

Every player gets nicked up, but this guy will miss games every year like clock work.
Good thread, but that statement above is absurd. Boldin is one of the toughest dudes in the league. After the infamous hit by Eric Smith fractured his sinus cavity, Boldin only missed two games. His first game back? He has 9 catches and 2 TDs.

:lmao: Boldin is far from soft.
No, it's not. The opposite of soft is tough. Boldin is about as tough as it gets. He's prone to injuries but that doesn't mean he's not tough. He's about as tough as it gets.Think Steve McNair - gets hurt all the time (injury prone) but plays through just about everything or comes back quicker than others would (not soft - tough).
I can agree with that. I stand corrected. Though "prone to injury" still amounts to similar fantasy production as soft.

Actually Boldin is kinda soft. Ya, he was tough coming back quick from that face hit, but what was he supposed to do? quit?. This guy ALWAYS has a problem. Not a sign of toughness.

:goodposting: Boldin is far from soft.
No, it's not. The opposite of soft is tough. Boldin is about as tough as it gets. He's prone to injuries but that doesn't mean he's not tough. He's about as tough as it gets.Think Steve McNair - got hurt all the time (injury prone) but played through just about everything or came back quicker than others would (not soft - tough).
Fixed for past tense.

elshagon said:

Good thread, but that statement above is absurd. Boldin is one of the toughest dudes in the league. After the infamous hit by Eric Smith fractured his sinus cavity, Boldin only missed two games. His first game back? He has 9 catches and 2 TDs.
Just because you had a good game when you returned doesn't make you tough. He had an injury missed a few weeks and came back. Most NFL players would have done the same exact thing. I'd be willing to bet some would have missed less time.

elshagon said:

Just because you had a good game when you returned doesn't make you tough. He had an injury missed a few weeks and came back. Most NFL players would have done the same exact thing. I'd be willing to bet some would have missed less time.
do some research on the injury and surgery he had. No drugs for the pain or numbing before surgery. Dude is insanely tough, injury prone? could be, not happy with contract DEFENITLY! Maybe those nagging injuries nag a little longer when your peers are making 8-10 million more than you a year because Drew Rosendouch had you sign a long term deal that you are now upset with.

elshagon said:

Dude... His face was broken!

elshagon said:

do some research on the injury and surgery he had. No drugs for the pain or numbing before surgery. Dude is insanely tough, injury prone? could be, not happy with contract DEFENITLY! Maybe those nagging injuries nag a little longer when your peers are making 8-10 million more than you a year because Drew Rosendouch had you sign a long term deal that you are now upset with.
:lmao: Remind me to never have you stick up for me. What you're insinuating is 10 times worse than being soft.

Anquan Boldin is one of the toughest guys in the NFL, bar none. That doesn't mean he isn't prone to nagging injuries during the season, but he usually plays through them.

Arizona's offensive line isn't giving Warner enough time to make the deep strikes thus far, which is why Hightower is drawing away so much of the short passing game. Since the Cardinals don't use the TE position much in the passing game anyway, I'd expect more max protect formations to open things up a bit.

And yes, they do miss Todd Haley.

Does this catapult Breaston in the rankings? IMO, he's capable of top 20 WR numbers on any given week where Boldin is sitting. Just grabbed him off waivers, looking forward to starting him this weekend and hopefully he can provide a few solid games beyond that.

Does this catapult Breaston in the rankings? IMO, he's capable of top 20 WR numbers on any given week where Boldin is sitting. Just grabbed him off waivers, looking forward to starting him this weekend and hopefully he can provide a few solid games beyond that.
Nobody has said that Boldin is sitting as of yet. He did return to the game after he was injured and he claimed that he will play this week. That said, I doubt we will see him this week.

This type of thing has changed the landscape of FF (non-typical performances, both good & bad). We know the NFL changes fast, but FF is changing even faster. Not only with the RBBC thing, but all kinds of dynamics are causing some lesser-talented players to step up & produce more than players who have more pure talent (at all positions).

Talent trumps situation at face value, but situation is more important than ever. And it's not just situation causing FF turmoil. This isn't a fluke. It's only the tip of the iceberg, IMO. I believe the owners who adjust the best/fastest will have an advantage. Times are a changin'.

While this will be challenging, it's one of many reasons why I like this hobby of ours more than ever. :confused:

wtf??? who are the geniuses calling boldin soft ???? Ive heard it all now. ;)

Thats like calling Ray lewis soft.

elshagon said:
;) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:from this westbrook is now hard since he's still playing.

The O-line simply isn't giving Warner enough time to get the ball to Boldin when he is healthy. Look at Fitzgeralds numbers. They are down this year too. Its not like the running game has gotten any better than it was last year. Also Warner getting blitzed left and right can't help the situation either.

elshagon said:

I'd be willing to bet most would have ended up on IR. IIRC, that was the talk when the injury occurred.The target numbers are still good. He's ranked 22nd in my league at WR.

He's managed to put up great numbers even while Fitzgerald has come on the scene. He was bound to drop off just a little bit.

As for this Sunday, I'd be shocked if he played and even more shocked if he put up numbers that were worthy of starting. I'd bench him if I had options Just my .02.

Look at Fitzgeralds numbers. They are down this year too.
Through 5 games, Fitzgerald has 35 catches for 360 yards and 5 TDs. That projects out to 112 catches for 1152 yards and 16 TDs, which would be career highs in receptions and TDs. In PPR leagues, that would be his highest fantasy output yet. In standard scoring, it would be 3.9 points fewer than he had last year.

I think the issue here is the definition of "tough". As far as not-being-a-Pansy, boldin is tough. He's very tough in fact. But to his fantasy owners, he's made of crystal. Every couple of games there's a reason why he' ll either be inactive or limited. Someone made the comparison to McNair, who also always seemed to be dinged.

Bob Sanders of the Cots is another guy who seems to be hurt more than he's healthy. As a Boldin owner, I wish he'd get a little less tough and a bit more durable.

Send Boldin down here to the Dolphins....we will take him anytime.

As far as his production. He is obviously off to a slow start. I expect him to pick it up big time.

Boldin is off to a slow start...as we all know. However I expect him to pick it up big time and still finish top 10 this season.

It has been a very strange FF season thus far....very strange.

Send Boldin down here to the Dolphins....we will take him anytime.As far as his production. He is obviously off to a slow start. I expect him to pick it up big time.Boldin is off to a slow start...as we all know. However I expect him to pick it up big time and still finish top 10 this season.It has been a very strange FF season thus far....very strange.
Tough or not the guy isn't producing.

Thanks for this thread, Boldin will go off this week. This post will be bumped and I will be mad because I play against him in a couple leagues.

Send Boldin down here to the Dolphins....we will take him anytime.As far as his production. He is obviously off to a slow start. I expect him to pick it up big time.Boldin is off to a slow start...as we all know. However I expect him to pick it up big time and still finish top 10 this season.It has been a very strange FF season thus far....very strange.
yEah but he will come back big time

That, and he's off to a slow start. :unsure:

That, and he's off to a slow start. :unsure:
Strange, very strange

Users who are viewing this thread