What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your worst "bad beat" ever in your FF career? (1 Viewer)

Lash

Footballguy
This didn't happen to me this week but it spawned me opening this thread

An owner in our local league was down 5 points in non-PPR non-fractional scoring before sunday night

He had Cutler and Knox vs NYG and RMoss vs Miami

Cutler 42yds = 2pts

Knox 26 yds = 2pts

RMoss 0yds = 0pts

I recall a certain MNF game some time back. I had a large lead & my opponent started, of all people, Don Beebe...

I lost a week a few years back with under 20 total points for my whole team, in a week.

This team also won the championship at season end.

Really puts the luck aspect of FF into perspective.

I had a sack (Tuck) reversed later in the week which turned a win into a loss.
Last year I needed Kurt Warner to outperform the Cardinals defense by 4 points the week before the playoffs in order for me to make the playoffs. Given our league scoring system, that happened every single week of the season. Except for the week I needed it............On a non-fantasy note, I needed the Colts to score that td in the superbowl where they had 1st and goal from the 1. I would have won the $100 superbowl grid.

I had Ryan Longwell. He had Antonio Freeman.

I lost by .5 because you don't kick an extra point in overtime.

Championship game of 2006. I owned LT during that record-breaking magical season.

My opponent started the STL trio of Bulger, Holt, and Steven jackson vs. the Redskins.

I had a huge lead and was very confident in my championship repeat (I'd won in '05).

Bulger throws for 300+ and 4 TDs. Jackson has an insane beast-like game...but I still have a small lead.

Redskins have the ball up by 3 points with time running out and the game seems mercifully over.

Then Ladell Freakin' Betts fumbles the ball away. Rams recover, and go into a hurry-up offense. Holt and Bulger have the opportunity to give my opponent a couple of extra points and my lead is dwindling. They score a FG and worst case scenario comes true...overtime.

In overtime Jackson ends the game with a 20 yard TD run...Super Bowl over....I lose.

SJax finished with 150 rushing and 100 receiving, with 2 TDs.

Had a couple, but the worst of all was in 2008. First round of the playoffs and i'm up by 5 points and all the opponent has left is the Steelers D with only a few minutes remaining in the game. Well Tony Romo in all his glory forces a ball to Witten that sails over his head right into Deshea Townsends hands and Witten the mongoloid can't tackle even though he had an angle, or at least get a hand on him to get him out of bounds

. Couple other noteworthy ones, I have terrible luck on Monday nights... I was down by 2 pts and had Drew Brees to go on Monday Night, I think he finished in the negatives and not do to injury. Another Monday night was when I was down by 2 again, had Lee Evans to go and he records his first no catch game since YAFL.

A guy got knocked out of the playoffs last year in our dynasty league because Kurt Warner's passing TD got changed to a Boldin rushing td just in time for Christmas morning.

Drafted Fred Lane in a 25 round draft when he was a rookie unknown. I was down by enough coming into a Monday night game that I needed 121 yards and a score to win the game and advance to our championship. Lane played Dallas that night. He gained his 121 by late in the 4th QTR. Then the Panthers got to the 10 yard-line late in the game.

First and goal, Lane gets to the two. Second and goal, Lane gets to the one. Third and goal, I'm praying he gets the ball again - he does, but no gain. Fourth and goal...incredibly, he gets it again - no gain.

A yard short...

Then again, I once beat someone for the championship by a fumble forced by Leigh Bodden on Dwayne Bowe that gave me a 0.1 edge. Figured that made up for it :thumbup:

About 20 years ago in a TD only league I was up 16pts going into MNF and my opponent just had Merrill Hoge left. Obviously (or I wouldn't be posting this here) Hoge scores 3X against Denver. Being a Steeler fan eased some of the pain but my buddy and I still bring it up every once in a while.

I lost a matchup on a Wednesday after a what had been ruled a handoff from Reggie Brown to Correll Buckhalter was changed by the Elias Sports Bureau to a bobbled pass giving Donovan McNabb a touchdown and my opponent from the previous weekend the victory.

The change in our league standings did not occur on our fantasy site until after our weekly waiver wire had already taken place and as a result I also missed out on acquiring Ladell Betts when Clinton Portis, my top running back, was placed on injured reserve.

I finshed dead last that season.

I had a loss where the league was set to score special teams TDs to the player, my player returned a kick for a TD. Then the league remembered last year it was supposed to be scored to the DEF/ST, so they took it away. I lose.

I was in a playoff game in a PPR league. I had Gates on a Monday night and he had nobody. I needed 3 points to win.

Final stat line: Gates 1 catch for 9 yards late in the 4th quarter. I lost by 1 point.

Several years ago in my worst season ever (went without a win...ouch)...this is a league that has been around 20+ years...oddly put together (two 8 team conferences that draft separately to make up a 16 team league...and play interconference games).

One rule in our lineups is if you don't turn it in (we still do it by hand, TD only scoring) by the deadline, you have last week's lineup.

Its probably week 6 or so and my opponent turns in his lineup late and therfore goes with last week's lineup. Doing this leaves Peerless Price in his lineup (who had not scored all year) instead of another WR he had wanted in there. Of course Price scores twice and I lose by one.

Just awful still.

Two of my leaguemates had bad beats against me.

1) 2000....I was done and up 2 points, and my opponent had Jimmy Smith in a PPR league. First play of the game, 9 yard pass to Jimmy Smith....one point. Then after the next series, the TV honed in on Smith on the stationary bike, trying to work out his knee that he twisted in the previous series.....he never returned to the game....I win by one.

2) 2002....I was down a bunch on Monday and had Torry Holt going against TB. Looked like I was going to be two points short of winning, when Warner threw an interception with about 1 minute left in the game.....but Derrick Brooks breaks about 3 tackles and returns the pick for a TD. So STL comes back on the field with about 45 seconds left, and on the last play.....20 yard completion to Holt.....the 3 points on that play allowed me to win by one. All Brooks had to do was kneel down (TB was up about 10-14 points at the time)...and I lose.

Another bad beat in my league was a guy had Rex Grossman at QB and his opponent was done....and this guy had a 4 point lead. Grossman on Monday night (I think against AZ) had about 125 yards passing and 6 turnovers (4 INTs and 2 fumbles lost) at -2 points per turnover Grossman had -7 points that game and the guy lost by 3. That's pretty brutal.

I was playing pot limit omaha hi. A245 with the Ace suited. Flop comes 6 5 3 with two of my suit, giving me a flopped straight with the nut flush redraw. Small blind checks, big blind checks, I bet pot, which puts me all in. Other guy insta-calls. He's got KKQQ with the same spades draw I have... making me a huge favorite. Turn a Q, river a 3, and he makes a runner-runner full house to kill me.

Awful.

Monday night football December 15th 1997. Leading my opponent by 3 points in the championship game. He has no players left. Game, set, match. Or so I thought. Elway throws 2 picks (-2 each) and I lose by a point. Infamous in our league now.

I think it was 2 years ago when Brian Westbrook layed down on the 1 yd line to run the clock instead of scoring! Cost me the game.

Also, last year Farve hit S Rice for a touchdown on the last play of the game to beat me!

up by 21 with about 3 minutes of "garabge time" left on MNF (avg league score about 75)

it all fell apart from there

This one time, I won my fantasy game by 9 points, but my friend outpunted me by 1 yard in the punt/pass/kick competition. Winning punt was worth 10 points in the fantasy game, to level the luck playing field. I lost by a point

A couple of years ago I was down 1.5 points, PPR league, Opponent had no more players going and I had Joe Jerivicious (too lazy to look up the spelling) on Monday night. I needed one catch for 6 yards to win.

Joe was having a decent year for PPR and I think he was Clevland's leading wr that season up to that point.

The Monday night game is hit by a severe blizzard, extreme wind and sideways snow the whole game. Ole Joe was healthy but never got a catch but had two or three targets that he dropped b/c he couldn't see the ball.

Never forget that one.

This one time, I won my fantasy game by 9 points, but my friend outpunted me by 1 yard in the punt/pass/kick competition. Winning punt was worth 10 points in the fantasy game, to level the luck playing field. I lost by a point
This is a bad beat...Week 15 of the playoffs in 2005 going into Monday night. I was out of players and I lost by a couple points to a guy who had the Packers defense left. He was going to the Championships; I was done. He kept the Packers defense in and got negative points. I went on to win the Championship. He would have won it too, IIRC, had he beat me.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=251219033

Another bad beat in my league was a guy had Rex Grossman at QB and his opponent was done....and this guy had a 4 point lead. Grossman on Monday night (I think against AZ) had about 125 yards passing and 6 turnovers (4 INTs and 2 fumbles lost) at -2 points per turnover Grossman had -7 points that game and the guy lost by 3. That's pretty brutal.
Found the box score for that game. What a weird game! Not only did Grossman pass for 144 yards with 4 picks but the Bears only rushed for 38 yards. A grand total of 168 yards in offense with 6 turnovers but they came back from a 23-3 third quarter deficit to win the game 24 to 23. Two fumble returns for touchdowns and a Devin Hester punt return for a score pulls it out.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...00610160crd.htm

Championship game, 2000 season I think, I was up 42 points going into Monday Night and my opponent only had one player left. 'Course that one player was Marshall Faulk...lost by two.

another

last week I was up 20 points and no one else playing and my division opponent had Brady and Moss on Monday night in Miami.

Moss and Brady had averaged 40+ points per week combined up to that game.

We know what happened: NE special teams and def scores 21 points and Brady never has to pass much. Brady had 153 and 1 TD and Moss had the goose egg.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Travis Henry was with the Bills, I was down by very few points going to MNF. My opponent was done. I have to start a full roster.

Henry gets a few point by yards and I am up by 1 point. Late in the game, inexplicably, they call a halfback pass. He throws an interception (minus 2 points) and he gets hurt on the play. I lose by 1 point.

Back in 02 or 03 or thereabouts. Not me, but my best buddy. Needed just over 1 point between James Thrash and Todd Pinkston on MNF. Donovan McNaab QB. He left a message on our league page.

"The only way I can lose tonight is if Pinkston and Thrash both break their legs on the first play of the game." Kiss of Death (as we all know).

Don't remember who Philly was playing, but they shut the Eagles down in the first half. Also one of the two were injured. Long story short, my buddy wound up with just under 1/2 point for the night.

Later his opponent posted, "News flash, Pinkston and Thrash break legs on first play of game!"

We now refer to this as the Pinkston-Thrash miracle.

Had a lot of laughs about it over the years.

Week 16 2008 Championship game lost by 2.98 points when A.J. Hawk was given credit for a tackle he didn't make if not for that I would've won the game by 1.02 points. What makes it a really bad beat is I faced the same guy in the championship game in 2007 when Willie Parker broke his leg on the first carry of the game against St. Louis, cost me chance at the title.

I had a rough year last year. I remember a Monday night game that Jared Allen got a sack on the 2nd to last play of the game and I lost because of that. I also lost 2 years ago because of Hochuli's blown call during the Chargers Broncos game. The other guy had Cutler and ended up netting 8 points because of the blown call and I lost by 2

This one is easy for me.....

Last year, I was playing in the Semi-finals of my local league and all week Rackers was Questionable on the IR but was supposed to play. I was out on Sunday (planning to be back before 1pm kickoff), but the huge snowstorm in DC felt the roads a mess and I realized a little before 1pm that I wasn't going to make it home. Well, I started to trying to access my league and roster with my phone (not a smartphone, or even one with decent internet). After seemingly hours, I see that Rackers was a late (pre-game) scratch. I scrambled on my prehistoric phone to pick-up ANYONE to replace him, but didn't get through all the screens until a couple minutes past 1pm, when it let me know that FAs were locked. So I sat without a kicker for the most important match-up of the year.....

Well, I was the number 1 team for the regular season and playing a team that finished 7-6-1 and barely made it to the playoffs - nothing to worry about, right? WRONG.

I end up losing by 2 points. 1 freaking FG or 3 extra points.......

At least if the other semi-final winner scores more than me in week 16, then all is right with the world and I would have finished 2nd anyway. WRONG.

I outscore that "potential" opponent by 12 points.

So I go from winning for a 2nd straight year in my bragging league, to a 3rd place finish because of a kicker.....

Needless to say, I have a droid X phone with all my leagues on my favorites pages for the season and will not be without my phone if I am out of my house when kickoff on sunday is approaching.

Also - I have twitter and RSS feeds (like most of us on FBG), so I will always get those last minute inactives and injury changes. Already, these things have benefited me in 2010. Invaluable. I learned my lesson in 2009 for the rest of my fantasy football life.

i lost by 1.5 on the infamous Brees interception, fumble caused and recovered by Meachem, Meachem for the TD play.

and missed the playoffs.

yahoo really screwed the pooch a couple times on that one.

Down about half a point back in 07...the night that Ryan Grant broke out on MNF. Deshawn Wynn was the "starting" GB RB heading into that game, and I had to plug him in as an emergency replacement. One carry, one yard, injured.

Dude in my PPR league (plus IDP) was down 108.5 to 105 heading into last Monday Night. The other guy was done, he had Randy Moss and brandon Merriwether. At 1 pt per tackle, 2 pt per sack/int/safety and 6 pt per td the IDP guy alone SHOULD have been enough. Then Moss who would get .5 per recpt, 6 per td and 1 pt at 60 yd, 2 pt at 80y, 3 pt at 100y, etc. should have won it by himself.

Final score 108.5 to 107.

Two years ago, my brother lost a playoff game in which a defensive scoring change two days after the fact took him from winning by 1 to losing by 1...but in that case it wasn't a bad beat just scoring being properly enforced. Still a playoff loss you thought you'd won would have to suck.

I think I was up by 4 pts. with one Grossman left to play. This was his "break-out" year and I just traded the bank for him. Stupid me right? Grossman was playing Arizona which should have been an easy 15 pts. Instead, he throws like 4 int and 4 fumbles. Ended up losing by 2pts or something. Ever since then, I remove my players if i'm guaranteed a win going into Monday night.

I was playing pot limit omaha hi. A245 with the Ace suited. Flop comes 6 5 3 with two of my suit, giving me a flopped straight with the nut flush redraw. Small blind checks, big blind checks, I bet pot, which puts me all in. Other guy insta-calls. He's got KKQQ with the same spades draw I have... making me a huge favorite. Turn a Q, river a 3, and he makes a runner-runner full house to kill me.Awful.
Should have played hi/lo then you would have split. Your fault, really.

In 2003 in the Fantasy Jungle I led wire to wire in the overall playoffs (week 13-16) and was in 1st place out of 20 playoff teams (72 overall teams) going into the 4th quarter by less that 1 point after J-Walker scored 31 pts for me in the 1st half but another team had Favre, A-Green and Oakland DF in the infamous "Favre's father passed away game".

I was in 1st with less than 8 minutes left

The guy in 2nd had Longwell and I was ahead of him by .4 pts

The guy in 3rd had Favre, A-Green and GB DF and I was ahead of him by 6 pts

On 3rd down from around their own 40 and with GB up huge on Oakland at the time everyone knew this was Favre's and Green's last series of the game before being pulled.

On 3rd and long something like 4th and 10 from around their own 40 Favre chucks a bomb all I need is for this to fall incomplete and I will win $15,000.

Instead it was caught but not by Walker I believe it was Driver who caught it something like a 40 yard gain.

Then a few plays later A-Green runs in a TD and that guy wins and then Longwell kicks the XP and I not only don't win I don't get 2nd and the $4,000 that goes for that.

Good times here.

Lost a game a few years back by 1.5 points. MNF game was GB-Phil if I remember correctly.

Anyway it's an IDP league and my opponent is done. I have only Jerimiah Trotter left. For those unfamiliar, he was a major tackler as the Philly MLB at the time. Needing only ONE tackle to win, just prior to kickoff there is an altercation and both teams have a skirmish. Trotter gets ejected. Net result, I miss the playoffs because of that game.

In week 3 of this season, I lost by .05. That's five hundreths of a point. It's the equivalent of 18 inches running/receiving.

This didn't happen to me this week but it spawned me opening this threadAn owner in our local league was down 5 points in non-PPR non-fractional scoring before sunday nightHe had Cutler and Knox vs NYG and RMoss vs MiamiCutler 42yds = 2ptsKnox 26 yds = 2ptsRMoss 0yds = 0pts
My co-worker in week 1 of this year had the Chargers D/ST, Shonn Greene, and Ray Rice going and was trailing by only 10 points. Sure victory, right? Nope!A couple of seasons back I was ahead late into the MNF game and it looked like Brandon Marshall was going to catch a TD late to cement it. Instead he dropped the pass, the game continued into OT, and I lost on the 1st play of OT on a Favre-Jennings bomb. My opponent had both players. Ugh.Remember when Tom Brady singlehandedly propelled many FF teams to titles? I was undefeated and had swept my playoff opponent during the season, beating him in the previous week (the last week of the regular season). Well the weather outside turned frightful, and my first lost of the year came in round 1 of the playoffs. Worse, the rest of a solid team also pretty much tanked that day, and I was blown out.

2009 Championship Game. Each RuReYd = .1 pt, Each PaYd = .04 pt

Final score: 106.68 - 106.28

Lost by 4 rushing or receiving yards. Either that, or if Longwell didn't miss his PAT that week....

This didn't happen to me this week but it spawned me opening this threadAn owner in our local league was down 5 points in non-PPR non-fractional scoring before sunday nightHe had Cutler and Knox vs NYG and RMoss vs MiamiCutler 42yds = 2ptsKnox 26 yds = 2ptsRMoss 0yds = 0pts
That beats the example I was thinking of--but knew this had to at least have Moss involved! One of the owners in my league needed 1.3 pts with Moss to play.

I was playing pot limit omaha hi. A245 with the Ace suited. Flop comes 6 5 3 with two of my suit, giving me a flopped straight with the nut flush redraw. Small blind checks, big blind checks, I bet pot, which puts me all in. Other guy insta-calls. He's got KKQQ with the same spades draw I have... making me a huge favorite. Turn a Q, river a 3, and he makes a runner-runner full house to kill me.

Awful.
Should have played hi/lo then you would have split. Your fault, really.
Back in the old days, like, the early 90s, I was playing a game called "Jacks Back" at one of the local card rooms. "Jacks Back" is basically 5-card draw, you need Jacks or better to open. If everyone passes on the first round, you keep your cards and the game becomes A-5 lowball.

The card room had a bad beat jackpot going, too, with a prize of something like $38,000 (it very rarely hit) at the time. To get the jackpot, you had to have the hand get passed all the way around, then lose with A2346 to A2345 in the lowball game.

Sure enough, one day I get dealt A2346, one off the button. First guy passes. Second guy passes. Third guy passes. Fourth guy passes. No one had jacks-or-better to open with. So I pass, knowing that once the button passes, we'll go to lowball with me holding either the best hand or a jackpot hand. As long as the button doesn't open.

Of course, the guy on the button looks at his hand and says "I'll bet," and throws out some chips. First guy folds. Second guy folds. Third guy folds. Fourth guy folds. Down to just me, with A2346 in a regular high game instead of lowball. Great. I fold faceup, showing the table my hard-luck hand ("If only it was lowball, I would have had all of you").

Dealer pushes the antes to the button. But he has to show jacks-or-better to collect. "I have a straight!" he says, and tables A2345.

:goodposting:

Not exactly on theme, but I lost to my wife in FF this week in a league for her work. Its my 16th year playing FF, this is her first.

My team:

Vick

Rice, Best, Foster (flex)

R. Moss, S. Moss

Cooley

Crosby

Indy

Vick + Rice + Best + Moss + Moss + Indy = < 10 pts.

Users who are viewing this thread