What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Manual Labor/Trade Job Would You Enjoy? (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
I assume many of the posters here are in a desk/office/computer/phone type job or career. IT, sales, finance, management etc. I am too. Hours on the phone, emails, contracts, meetings. I've recently been fixing up my house to get it on the market and I love painting and finish carpentry.

Not accounting for difference in pay, what manual labor, trade or skilled trade job do you think you may enjoy (maybe even more than your current profession)?

Not completely manual labor as there would be other aspects, but I'd love to work with the forest service or NPS, doing trail maintenance and such.

Easy for me. Trucking and/or driving/hauling, especially for a local construction company. Did it once, and loved it.

Would prefer flatbeds and local hauling/loading/unloading vs. Class D type stuff.

I don't mind house painting; I did two houses in 6 years. Either that or driving a forklift in a warehouse. I do that sometimes in my current job as an engineer.

Gardener. Would love to have a job that allowed me to invest a ton of time learning and perfecting the perfect gardens.

I was a painter growing up so that would probably be my go-to but recently I've been doing some minor concrete work which is cool although I don't how people do it for a living, maybe when I was younger but at 50 it kicks your ###.

Whoever mention park ranger is the winner though, nothing I'd like more than hanging out in the forest and taking care of the parks.

After my recent deck building project, I kind of liked it. I could totally see building decks and doing patios and landscape design. I'm not sure I'd be in for full-on house-building carpentry. I like the shorter-timeframe, quick reward projects more. If not that, I could get behind custom cabinetry and home remodeling.

I don't mind electrical or plumbing work, but it's just not as satisfying. Same with working on cars - Fun to work on my own. Could care less about working on other people's cars.

Definitely farming, as in small scale vegetable farm rather than industrial commodity farming.

Although I'd like to learn some carpentry skills, of which I currently have none.

Not completely manual labor as there would be other aspects, but I'd love to work with the forest service or NPS, doing trail maintenance and such.
Yep

I'd be willing to go back to two I'd the jobs I held in college.

Lifeguard

Lumber section at Home Depot or Lowe's

Gardening/Landscaping. A tan and being outdoors and playing in the dirt and planting cool gardens. Preferably not just the lawnmower guy. Basically like a modern day farmer. I also wouldn't mind working at our local farm/nursery caring for all the different plants and flowers etc. always wanted to work there.

Woodworking sounds neat. But I'm terrible at that kind of thing. A guitar luthier would be totally totally awesome.

A regular job at Home Depot stocking the shelves etc would be cool.

And in a weird way I miss my job at the supermarket I had when I was in high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facility Manager--that pretty well takes in all the trades while also enjoying the personal relationships of working throughout the office. That's been my career for the past twenty years until the contractor I subbed through recently downsized--so if anyone knows of an opening around Central NC I'm in the market! :coffee:

Stone Mason. I apprenticed for a Stone Mason for about a year and really enjoyed the work. Monuments, fireplaces that sort of thing.

Stone Mason. I apprenticed for a Stone Mason for about a year and really enjoyed the work. Monuments, fireplaces that sort of thing.
I could see this--stonework is an art. I always felt that way about my ceramic tilework as well.

Not sure why, but being a farmer has always seemed like it would be fun to me. Not so sure about the animal part of it, but the actual farming part of it.

Electrical. then plumbing/landscaping.

Couple of weeks ago I installed a new breaker in the box, installed a dedicated new outlet outside with cover, installed a low voltage transformer and the wiring to 2 lights for my new flagpole including landscaping around the flagpole with the same stone block I used for the front of the house. Tiring day, but it was rewarding.

Not sure why, but being a farmer has always seemed like it would be fun to me. Not so sure about the animal part of it, but the actual farming part of it.
My uncle was a farmer. I used to get sent out to pick potatoes. He would ride around in the tractor all day long uprooting potatoes while my aunt, my cousin and I broke our backs picking up the potatoes. all. day. long. They didn't have all the fancy machinery that would do everything for them... but he made money at farming, too, unlike many. I remember thinking I finally understood how important slave labor must have been to the southern economy.

You must have never worked or helped on a farm, especially with animals.

My uncle had a dairy farm, loved to visit, but my cousins hated it, up at 5AM every day to milk, then feed, maintenance, work on crops etc, milk again in the evening. Never a day off.

You must have never worked or helped on a farm, especially with animals.

My uncle had a dairy farm, loved to visit, but my cousins hated it, up at 5AM every day to milk, then feed, maintenance, work on crops etc, milk again in the evening. Never a day off.
I have not. And as I said, the animal part of it isn't what interests me. It's the actual farming part. I have no problem getting up early. I used to work at a golf course in college and was up at 3 or 4 every day to get out to work. I loved just being outside, by myself, one with nature.

I really enjoyed being a waiter. I like people and food. Some idiots were annoying from time to time and I'd probably struggle with it physically at my age, but I sure enjoyed it when I did it for a year in my early 20's.

Carpentry/Electrical

The guy that said facilities manager nailed it.

I despise finished carpentry and Painting....anything other than that.

Senior year in high school and first summer of college I worked on a freight dock for Yellow, driving fork lift, and packing and unpacking trucks. I enjoyed it. Thought it was fun packing the trucks, almost like a puzzle to see how much I could fit in there. And I played a stupid game with myself trying to guess what would be in a truck before I opened it, kept me entertained and I enjoyed listening to music and driving the forklift around the dock.

I really enjoyed being a waiter. I like people and food. Some idiots were annoying from time to time and I'd probably struggle with it physically at my age, but I sure enjoyed it when I did it for a year in my early 20's.
Yah I guess I'd choose bartending again. The cash was great. The girls that came into the bar were mostly drunk and horny, especially in a college town. I could see myself choosing that again if you consider bar tending manual labor.

Hard to tell if I'd like it if I had to do it day in, day out, but anything having to do with home improvement. I love home improvement. A software development gig and flipping a house on the side that I lived in would be my dream life if I didn't go the family route.

Not sure if it would qualify but I always thought Surveyors had a cool job. You are outside a lot, always at a different site. Do your measurements and take off.

Can I use a backhoe?

if I knew I could make the same salary I'd go back to my dad's company and do athletic fields full time

winery production work.

did this back in 2008 and even as a Cellar Rat (i.e. lowest on the ladder) it was the most fun i've ever had at a job.

Users who are viewing this thread