What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What staring RB's will lose their jobs to backups/rookies this yea (1 Viewer)

Not sure why the focus on any of these situations is so much on who the starter is when they're all very likely to be some form of RBBC. The percentages of short yardage carries and passing down snaps are what's important in FF, not who is on the field for the 1st offensive snap.
I think we're talking about a team's top primary back when we say 'starter'. At least I do.

Jeremy Hill fell due to character issues? Huh, and here I thought he was the second running back off the board, one pick behind Sankey and ahead of Hyde. Weird. Oh that's right, Rookie_whisperer saw him coming out and putting up 1000 yards+. He even posted about it last year. If I knew how to use the search function I'd find where he predicted it.
That's a great story and I love the way you tell it.... I guarantee he would have been picked higher if not for his history. Look here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327577/article/lsus-jeremy-hill-sends-letter-to-all-32-teams-to-explain-arrests

Don't worry Sabertooth, you are still pretty.

Jeremy Hill fell due to character issues? Huh, and here I thought he was the second running back off the board, one pick behind Sankey and ahead of Hyde. Weird. Oh that's right, Rookie_whisperer saw him coming out and putting up 1000 yards+. He even posted about it last year. If I knew how to use the search function I'd find where he predicted it.
I think Hill fell in rookie drafts due to Gio Bernard having a really nice rookie year
I was talking about the NFL draft.

Maybe not in danger so much as having to make room for Jones.

This blurb from Rotoworld kind of sums up my thoughts a bit better:

Third-round RB Matt Jones said he knows Alfred Morris is "going to be the starter."
The question isn't if Alf will start -- it's how much of the work Jones will be able to siphon off. The Washington Post says the 6'2/231 Jones "certainly could see the field often as a rookie" and coach Jay Gruden has already left room for some kind of RBBC. Morris losing any early-down work will be devastating to his value because he is already a non-factor on passing downs. May 18 - 9:18 AM

More smoke for Lamar Miller possibly losing his job

The Miami Herald considers Jay Ajayi the frontrunner to back up Lamar Miller, and believes he could "eventually challenge Miller for (the) starting job."

Both GM Dennis Hickey and football czar Mike Tannenbaum have said Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs. Were it not for questions about his right knee, Ajayi would have come off the board much earlier on draft weekend. At the very least, Ajayi should siphon passing-game targets from Miller.
Related: Lamar Miller
Source: Miami Herald

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why the focus on any of these situations is so much on who the starter is when they're all very likely to be some form of RBBC. The percentages of short yardage carries and passing down snaps are what's important in FF, not who is on the field for the 1st offensive snap.
I think we're talking about a team's top primary back when we say 'starter'. At least I do.
I did too when starting this thread.

The Miami Herald considers Jay Ajayi the frontrunner to back up Lamar Miller, and believes he could "eventually challenge Miller for (the) starting job."

Both GM Dennis Hickey and football czar Mike Tannenbaum have said Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs. Were it not for questions about his right knee, Ajayi would have come off the board much earlier on draft weekend. At the very least, Ajayi should siphon passing-game targets from Miller.

Just stop. Lamar Miller will never lose his job. He averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Plus the Dolphins believe in him. This is just crazy.

Both GM Dennis Hickey and football czar Mike Tannenbaum have said Ajayi has the ability to play all three downs. Were it not for questions about his right knee, Ajayi would have come off the board much earlier on draft weekend. At the very least, Ajayi should siphon passing-game targets from Miller.Related: Lamar MillerSource: Miami Herald
Just stop. Lamar Miller will never lose his job. He averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Plus the Dolphins believe in him. This is just crazy.
I agree Miller isn't going to lose his job. This could perpetuate the ridiculous pitch count they have kept him on, though.

I think that's part of it. I also think Allen getting great reviews on his passing game skills is part of it. Actually I'd say Forsett has been quite consistent. To me it looks like last year is an anomaly.

I think that's part of it. I also think Allen getting great reviews on his passing game skills is part of it. Actually I'd say Forsett has been quite consistent. To me it looks like last year is an anomaly.
What happened in Seattle, he was doing pretty well there.

Says the captain of the Lamar Miller fan club. Never will a guy who has had -3- career 100 yard rushing games lose his job, NEVER. Not in this is NFL.

So, earlier, before 4 billion Lamar Miller/Ajayi posts, someone made mention of Gore possibly losing his "primary role" and I heard mention of Forsett as well. In each case, though, I was surprised by who people thought might takeover. So, I ask the question, which is more likely to happen, in the event that Gore goes down or Forsett:

Taliaferro vs Allen

Dan Herron vs Josh Robinson

Everyone so far assumed it would be Allen or Robinson, but it seems we forgot about these other two, who were both very strong when they stepped in last year. I suppose we have to wait for the preseason to unfold, but I would bet on Herron for sure and I suspect Taliaferro, but I know very little about either of these two rookies. Someone enlighten me.

Thanks.

So, earlier, before 4 billion Lamar Miller/Ajayi posts, someone made mention of Gore possibly losing his "primary role" and I heard mention of Forsett as well. In each case, though, I was surprised by who people thought might takeover. So, I ask the question, which is more likely to happen, in the event that Gore goes down or Forsett:

Taliaferro vs Allen

Everyone so far assumed it would be Allen or Robinson, but it seems we forgot about these other two, who were both very strong when they stepped in last year. I suppose we have to wait for the preseason to unfold, but I would bet on Herron for sure and I suspect Taliaferro, but I know very little about either of these two rookies. Someone enlighten me.

Thanks.
I think it would take a LOT for Robinson to pass Herron on the depth chart. Boom did very well in his role last year. I like Allen a bit more in Baltimore but I could see him having to wait as well. I know this didn't add much but also don't expect either starter to lose their jobs.

Taliaferro vs Allen

Thanks.
I think it would take a LOT for Robinson to pass Herron on the depth chart. Boom did very well in his role last year. I like Allen a bit more in Baltimore but I could see him having to wait as well. I know this didn't add much but also don't expect either starter to lose their jobs.
Agree for the 1st half of the season but then see Allen possibly winning out.

Allen is good pass blocker and receiver think he'll go from 3ed down back to starter, but wouldn't be shocked if I'm was wrong. I'm not on the Allen hype train.

cr8f said:
Sabertooth said:
Beast Mode happened. Then he signed to backup Foster. Then he got hurt in Jax.

The truth is that things just never aligned for him, whether due to his lack of size/speed or just bad luck.

What he has going for him now is a team that wants him (3 years, $9M) and less than 600 career carries even though he turns 30 in October.

Like Fred Jackson, I think he just needed to find the right team and get a chance (he'd never say it but he thanks Ray Rice for hitting his fiance).

No not crazy. Moreno seized the primary job from him in week one last year, that's how long it took him.

Yeah I don't necessarily think either back will lose their job, so maybe it's not relevant to this thread. If they were to get hurt, though. Personally I think Forsett will remain the go-to guy in Baltimore and might catch 70 passes from Flacco under Trestman. Gore is an enigma. He is incredibly durable and runs harder as the game goes on, but I suspect he will come out on passing downs and Boom will come in. Probably a 2-headed RBC there.

cr8f said:
Sabertooth said:

The truth is that things just never aligned for him, whether due to his lack of size/speed or just bad luck.

What he has going for him now is a team that wants him (3 years, $9M) and less than 600 career carries even though he turns 30 in October.

Like Fred Jackson, I think he just needed to find the right team and get a chance (he'd never say it but he thanks Ray Rice for hitting his fiance).
3 years 9 million is backup RB money basically. that's what people like Donald Brown sign for.

Forsett is a decent value for this year in re-draft and I think the job is his, unless injured. I don't see a rookie or Lorenzo taking his job out right

Maybe the best way of looking at this is what NFL teams will a different RB from last season become their top producing fantasy RB.

On that note here is my list which will include teams that lost their starting RB to FA or trades and assumes PPR.

Dallas- Mcfadden

Giants- Vereen

Eagles- Demarco

Vikings- Peterson or Mckinnon if he does not return

Lions- Abdullah

49'ers- Hyde

Rams- Mason in total points but Gurley in points per game.(I can't recall if Cunningham or Mason led in total points last year)

Cardinals- David Johnson

Falcons- Tevin Coleman

Saints- Spiller

Tampa- Sims

Colts- Gore

Jags- Yeldon

Ten- Cobb

Browns- David Johnson

Pats- Blount

Jets- Stacy

Bills- McCoy

Raiders- Richardson

Chargers- Gordon

That makes 20 teams which is a bit high but I think 9 of those teams lost their best fantasy back from last season and 4 committed a first or second round pick on a new RB.

Maybe the best way of looking at this is what NFL teams will a different RB from last season become their top producing fantasy RB.

On that note here is my list which will include teams that lost their starting RB to FA or trades and assumes PPR.

Dallas- Mcfadden

Giants- Vereen

Eagles- Demarco

Lions- Abdullah

49'ers- Hyde

Rams- Mason in total points but Gurley in points per game.(I can't recall if Cunningham or Mason led in total points last year)

Cardinals- David Johnson

Falcons- Tevin Coleman

Saints- Spiller

Tampa- Sims

Colts- Gore

Jags- Yeldon

Ten- Cobb

Browns- David Johnson

Pats- Blount

Jets- Stacy

Bills- McCoy

Raiders- Richardson

Chargers- Gordon

That makes 20 teams which is a bit high but I think 9 of those teams lost their best fantasy back from last season and 4 committed a first or second round pick on a new RB.
This is a well compiled list. Well done. Except for Richardson in Oakland. Will he even make the roster? It's the Raiders so anything is possible, but you have to figure Latavius Murray will be the man, right? With Helu as the change of pace? Richardson sort of fits as the short yardage guy, other than the fact that he doesn't know how to run.

cr8f said:
Sabertooth said:
Not much. A couple of 600 yard seasons. :yawn:

Dallas- Mcfadden

Giants- Vereen

Eagles- Demarco

Lions- Abdullah

49'ers- Hyde

Cardinals- David Johnson

Falcons- Tevin Coleman

Saints- Spiller

Tampa- Sims

Colts- Gore

Jags- Yeldon

Ten- Cobb

Browns- David Johnson

Pats- Blount

Jets- Stacy

Bills- McCoy

Raiders- Richardson

Chargers- Gordon

This is a well compiled list. Well done. Except for Richardson in Oakland. Will he even make the roster? It's the Raiders so anything is possible, but you have to figure Latavius Murray will be the man, right? With Helu as the change of pace? Richardson sort of fits as the short yardage guy, other than the fact that he doesn't know how to run.
Thanks and I almost hesitated to mention Richardson just out of fear of turning this into a Trent thread and I certainly expected someone to see that mention and disagree, maybe everyone for that matter. I don't want to get into another Trent thread or discussion, just don't have the energy for it. Latavius might be dynamite and Helu looks solid for at least a COP/third down role. Trent could very well get cut-would not shock me.. All of what you speculate could work out as you indicate. All I'll say is I think the Raiders interest in Trent rests solely on Holmgreen connection to the franchise and due to that he'll get a shot and I believe if he's in optimal condition and mentally dialed in I like his chances but I certainly expect to be a man on an island with that opinion.

Taliaferro vs Allen

Thanks.
I don't know. One is a career journeyman turning 30 and the other is 32. It's called the wall for a reason.

Taliaferro vs Allen

Thanks.
I don't know. One is a career journeyman turning 30 and the other is 32. It's called the wall for a reason.
Tough to argue with, but Forsett has very little mileage and Gore is a freak of nature. I like Gore's chances to last the season and perform well but I'm taking Boom if he is cheap.

Dallas- Mcfadden

Giants- Vereen

Eagles- Demarco

Lions- Abdullah

49'ers- Hyde

Cardinals- David Johnson

Falcons- Tevin Coleman

Saints- Spiller

Tampa- Sims

Colts- Gore

Jags- Yeldon

Ten- Cobb

Browns- David Johnson

Pats- Blount

Jets- Stacy

Bills- McCoy

Raiders- Richardson

Chargers- Gordon

David Johnson sure is gonna be sore on Mondays.

Maybe the best way of looking at this is what NFL teams will a different RB from last season become their top producing fantasy RB.On that note here is my list which will include teams that lost their starting RB to FA or trades and assumes PPR.

Dallas- Mcfadden

Giants- Vereen

Eagles- Demarco

Lions- Abdullah

49'ers- Hyde

Cardinals- David Johnson

Falcons- Tevin Coleman

Saints- Spiller

Tampa- Sims

Colts- Gore

Jags- Yeldon

Ten- Cobb

Browns- David Johnson

Pats- Blount

Jets- Stacy

Bills- McCoy

Raiders- Richardson

Chargers- Gordon

David Johnson sure is gonna be sore on Mondays.
????

cr8f said:
Sabertooth said:

3 years 9 million is backup RB money basically. that's what people like Donald Brown sign for.

Forsett is a decent value for this year in re-draft and I think the job is his, unless injured. I don't see a rookie or Lorenzo taking his job out right
Certainly don't think at 30 he's part of their long-term plans but RB's aren't getting big money even if they are expected to have big roles. Spiller's deal was relatively big at $4.5M guaranteed for two years.

Forsett signed for almost exactly what Joique Bell got and Bell was two years younger than Forsett when he signed his deal. My take on the money aspect is that the Ravens think they got their starter for this year and possibly next for very cheap.

loose circuits said:
Carlos Hyde and Mike Davis situation reminds me of Gio and Hill. I think Davis could steal the job if he's motivated
Couple of other situations I can think of that were similar:

Daniel Thomas (2nd round pick 2011) and Lamar Miller (4th round pick in 2012) but in a better offense.

Julius Jones (2nd round pick in 2004) and Marion Barber (4th round pick in 2005).

Hyde is the favorite, but if Davis plays like he did in 2013 Hyde will have trouble holding him off.

ETA: another aspect is that Hyde was Harbaugh's pick and Mike Davis is Tomsula's pick, similar to how Miller was Philbin's pick even though a RB was drafted the previous year in the 2nd under Sparano.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre Ellington, if anyone considers him 'having it' currently
That's a tougher one to me.I think people will just use the, "Well, he didn't really lose his job he was just never 100% healthy" excuse. How often is that guy 100% healthy again?
IMO he's not built to withstand being a starting RB. They just drafted a RB in the 3rd who looks to me like a bigger version of Jerick McKinnon. I'll be absolutely shocked if Johnson isn't starting week 1.
Prepare to be shocked, timeshare at best.

loose circuits said:
Carlos Hyde and Mike Davis situation reminds me of Gio and Hill. I think Davis could steal the job if he's motivated
Couple of other situations I can think of that were similar:

Daniel Thomas (2nd round pick 2011) and Lamar Miller (4th round pick in 2012) but in a better offense.

Julius Jones (2nd round pick in 2004) and Marion Barber (4th round pick in 2005).

Hyde is the favorite, but if Davis plays like he did in 2013 Hyde will have trouble holding him off.

ETA: another aspect is that Hyde was Harbaugh's pick and Mike Davis is Tomsula's pick, similar to how Miller was Philbin's pick even though a RB was drafted the previous year in the 2nd under Sparano.
Yea, I think both were Trent Baalke's picks...I def think Davis could challenge Hyde, but Tomsula played zero park in drafting him. Baalke is close with Spurrier (hence all the SC picks to the Niners over the years). Hyde was a Baalke pick too though.

Andre Ellington, if anyone considers him 'having it' currently
That's a tougher one to me.I think people will just use the, "Well, he didn't really lose his job he was just never 100% healthy" excuse. How often is that guy 100% healthy again?
IMO he's not built to withstand being a starting RB. They just drafted a RB in the 3rd who looks to me like a bigger version of Jerick McKinnon. I'll be absolutely shocked if Johnson isn't starting week 1.
Prepare to be shocked, timeshare at best.
David Johnson, a third-round pick out of Northern Iowa, ranked 15th in FCS in 2014, posting 1,553 rushing yards while finding the end zone 17 times. He is expected to make a big contribution to the Cardinals offense this season, according to his position coach, Stump Mitchell.

"He's a guy who has a lot of confidence in his ability to play," Mitchell told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "He's coachable. He's a smart young man, he's physical. He's going to make Andre (Ellington) pick up his game when given the opportunity.

"He has excellent hands and he's a bigger target to throw the ball to. He's going to be a big piece of the puzzle before this season is said and done."

No not crazy. Moreno seized the primary job from him in week one last year, that's how long it took him.
Yeah, where's Moreno now? The FO had no clue how good Miller could be and they wasted time with an inferior product. They still don't but they got clued in when other teams asked about trading for him, Dallas being one of them.

Yeah, where's Moreno now? The FO had no clue how good Miller could be and they wasted time with an inferior product. They still don't but they got clued in when other teams asked about trading for him, Dallas being one of them.
If Dallas offers to trade for Montee Ball, does that mean the Broncos FO will suddenly see him as a starter?

If Dallas offers to trade for Montee Ball, does that mean the Broncos FO will suddenly see him as a starter?
No, they are smarter. The rid themselves of Moreno and John Fox for instance.

No, they are smarter. The rid themselves of Moreno and John Fox for instance.
Which other teams have a dumb FO?

lod01 said:
Out with an ACL which enabled Miller to have the season he did and not serve as Moreno's change of pace guy like we saw in week one and would have seen the rest of the season.

I wonder when Dallas inquired about trading for Lamar Miller. Does anyone have a link to an actual source. Thanks in advance.

lod01 said:
Yeah, they're clueless -- clearly Moreno running for 24-134-1 against the Patriots top-10 run defense in a Dolphins win was a terrible outcome.

lod01 said:
Yeah, they're clueless -- clearly Moreno running for 24-134-1 against the Patriots top-10 run defense in a Dolphins win was a terrible outcome.
Speaking of Moreno, I'd still love to see him in a Dallas uniform this season. I wonder how healthy he is now.

I wonder when Dallas inquired about trading for Lamar Miller. Does anyone have a link to an actual source. Thanks in advance.
Here is the link I found: http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/51763/20150528/miami-dolphins-rumors-lamar-miller-trade-to-dallas-cowboys-option-with-rishard-matthews-after-devante-parker-jay-ajayi-draft-picks.htm

But I am hearing from some on twitter this is the guy who Jones was referring to as something better to shop the top pick and they mention that in the article.

Users who are viewing this thread