What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was the first NFL game you went to? (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
This could be fun.

As a kid in Southern California in the 70s/early 80s, my dad used to get Rams/Dodgers corporate tickets from work, so I went to a few games in the old LA Coliseum, but my first was in 1977. I was 7 years old and saw the Joe Namath led Rams vs the Jim Plunkett led 49ers. :lol:

I dont remember much of the game, but I remember the drive to the stadium, the hot dogs I ate, and meeting Ken Norton Sr (who was heavyweight Champ at the time IIRC) in an elevator and got his autograph. After that game, we went to 1 or 2 Rams game a year until they left the Coliseum.

A cool sidenote: We also went to the first ever home game of the Los Angeles Raiders in the strike season in '82 at that same Coliseum. It was Monday Night Football in November. In that game, I got to see Fouts, Joyner, Winslow, Alzado, Branch, Marcus Allen, Ray Guy...that one I remember pretty well. Walking into the stadium it was weird seeing all the silver and black and Raiders logos that had replaced all the Rams colors/logos I had seen in previous visits. I also remember Raider fans were way more intense & intimidating than Rams fans, and the stadium had a totally different vibe 😅

Went to a Niners game at Candlestick with my long time buddy back when Desean Jackson was a rookie (we won). Got up to get concessions with like 5 seconds to go at halftime and of course the Niners blocked the FG attempt and returned it for a touchdown.

On they way in, some SF fan starting slightly shoving me as we shuffled into the stadium "Get outta here Eagles fan!" and my buddy had to chill him out. Didn't take a video of it. Didn't go to social media and say something like "So this is how all SF fans are huh" like some fanbases like to do with us. Was just looking to have a good time, despite some jerk being a jerk.

40 years ago my father bought us 2 tickets in the end zone, $13 each plus tax
1983, Marino's rookie season but David Woodley was still the QB

Kansas City Chiefs, not much scoring
Miami won 14-6, the crowd was screaming for Marino to enter the game but he would not see the field for another 2 weeks when they take on Buffalo with Joe Ferguson
My father knew I had such a good time, he bought more tickets for games that season, we saw Eric Dickerson and the Rams later in the season, it was awesome.

Great thread idea

Last edited:
Raiders vs. Pats, divisional playoff, LA Masoleum. Raiders lost due to a Marcus Allen fumble on a go ahead, stands erupted into mayhem, fights, people flying down rows of seats, cops beating on fans, good times.

First Colts game I ever attended was in September 1979 in Cleveland. Bert Jones was hurt (as usual) and Landry was the Colts QB. I remember when the Colts blocked a punt for a TD and I was up yelling in glee, but then a whiskey bottle hit me in the head and bounced on the concrete without breaking. I didn't say a word the rest of the game. Colts kicker Toni Linhart missed 3 field goals and the Colts lost 13-10. I remember how excited I was as I entered the stadium. Seeing the Colts in the blue uniforms made it even more vivid. We had 50 yard line seats, but too low IMO, about 3 rows up. I went with a life long buddy and drove my piece of crap Chevy Vega station wagon. I was 20 he was 17. We drove from Lexington Ky to Cleveland. Got a hotel downtown Cleveland. I woke up in the morning and Gary had placed a joint in my mouth while sleeping and took a picture. There is another part of the story but I can't repeat in this forum.

Short video of the game highlights. Glad it is on YouTube. I just watched for the first time.

11/12/89

Eagles vs Redskins

Eagles lost 10-3. It was one of the uglier days of the Buddy era for the offense.

1985 divisional playoff miami vs browns. Was 5 years old and my uncle was visiting us in Florida from Wisconsin and he wanted to go and brought me. Don't remember much but the colors of the players uniforms. Loved it though and the next year my aunt took me to Lambeau for a GB preseason game while visiting. Can't remember who they played but do remember walking around and seeing the exhibits and stuff. Same uncle brought me to Miami vs jets games like 8 years later. Once in high school and could drive I went to most dolphin home games. Season tickets for like 5 years but once they got bad it was cheaper to buy from scalpers so dropped them.

Don't go to many games nowadays. Last one was in Denver for broncos vs giants on a Monday night in 2017. One before that was a splurge to go to Dallas and see them play gb in the divisional round playoff in 2015 as my wife is a cowboy fan and me a packer and dolphin fan. Tempted to see gb in Denver here in a couple weeks but the cost might not be worth it

First NFL game ever was a 1997 preseason game at the old Foxboro Stadium, Patriots vs. Cowboys. I still remember the "F*CK DALLAS" shirt one fan was wearing in our section. Those cold aluminum benches.

First regular season game ever was that year, Monday Night Football, Week 17, Patriots at Dolphins (then called Pro Player Stadium). Winner gets the AFC East crown. Got to wear my first Patriots jersey (Bledsoe royal blue replica). It was a boring game but our team won.

First game at Gillette Stadium was 2002 Week 16, Patriots vs. Jets. Big division implications. I remember three things about that night: 1) It was an ugly performance by the Pats that ultimately cost them the division and a playoff spot. 2) Kevin Faulk's kick return touchdown. 3) I had a pounding migraine all night and couldn't enjoy the game at all.

First (and only) playoff game was the AFC championship at Gillette Stadium between the Patriots and Ravens for the 2011-12 season. Sterling Moore deflecting the would-be Lee Evans touchdown. The Billy Cundiff miss and everybody in the stadium losing their mind. Me freezing the entire time but having a great time. Being sick as a dog when I got home. Throwing up right when the Giants beat the 49ers in overtime to set up the Super Bowl rematch. It's as if my body already knew. Despite all that, it was still the best football game I've ever attended.

Eagles/Giants at the Meadowlands 1988. My buddy's neighbor had Giants season tickets but it was raining that day and he didn't feel like going. My buddy knocked on my door around 11:00 am and asked me if I wanted to go. Hopped in his car and we drove up the NJ Turnpike and got there just in time.

Turned out to be kind of a memorable game for the Eagles as it wen into OT. Eagles lined up to kick the game winning FG but it was blocked, right to Clyde Simmons who picked it up and ran it in for a TD to win.

The *real* Miracle at the Meadowlands II.

This could be fun.

As a kid in Southern California in the 70s/early 80s, my dad used to get Rams/Dodgers corporate tickets from work, so I went to a few games in the old LA Coliseum, but my first was in 1977. I was 7 years old and saw the Joe Namath led Rams vs the Jim Plunkett led 49ers. :lol:

I dont remember much of the game, but I remember the drive to the stadium, the hot dogs I ate, and meeting Ken Norton Sr (who was heavyweight Champ at the time IIRC) in an elevator and got his autograph. After that game, we went to 1 or 2 Rams game a year until they left the Coliseum.

A cool sidenote: We also went to the first ever home game of the Los Angeles Raiders in the strike season in '82 at that same Coliseum. It was Monday Night Football in November. In that game, I got to see Fouts, Joyner, Winslow, Alzado, Branch, Marcus Allen, Ray Guy...that one I remember pretty well. Walking into the stadium it was weird seeing all the silver and black and Raiders logos that had replaced all the Rams colors/logos I had seen in previous visits. I also remember Raider fans were way more intense & intimidating than Rams fans, and the stadium had a totally different vibe 😅
Wow. The first game I remember going to was the Rams v Vikings Dec 26, 1977 in at the Coliseum. I had to look this up because I don't remember much about it either except that it rained and my grandfather made an off handed comment about Tarkenton having "scrambled eggs" for knees. Took years before I figured that out. I had to look this up but Namath had been knocked out earlier that season and so had Fran Tarkenton so we got Pat Haden v Bob Lee at QB. Chuck Foreman went for 101 & a TD while my favorite player from that era Lawrence McCutcheon went 16-102-0 with 2-15-0 receiving.

Rams lost 14-7

9-15-1968 Steelers vs NY Giants in Pitt Stadium. Bill Austin was head coach, Kent Nix the starting QB. My favorite player on the team was WR Roy Jefferson.

Steelers lost 34-20 en route to a 2-11-1 record.

Cowboys at Lions. (One game before Emmitt passed sweetness). Dammit. Was hoping to see history.

Detroit beat the Chad Hutchinson led Cowboy's 9-7 in a terrible game.

Also, I think he was sacked like 7-9 times.

Don't know the year, but my dad took me to a Bengals game maybe around 2000? All I know is that I knew nothing about football at the time. Then my brother-in-law took me to a Bengals-Chiefs game in December when the Bengals had a really bad season, and we beat them. So that must have been 2008?

And those are the only football games of any type I have ever been to. Don't really care for events. My three favorite bands could do a concert together a quarter-mile away from my apartment and I wouldn't go if I had a free ticket. I have their songs on CD's already, I'm fine.

October 14, 1984. Rams at Saints. Was a kid and excited to see the washed up trio of Ken Stabler, Earl Campbell, and George Rogers. But the coolest part was watching Eric Dickerson during his record-breaking season. 20-175 and a beautiful 66 yard run. Saw Drew Hill catch a TD before he'd become one of my favorite Oilers when we moved to Houston a year later. Always appreciated Mom and Dad for going to the trouble to get tickets and traveling to New Orleans from Pensacola to take me to my first NFL game for my birthday, and I got to see a record-breaker in action to boot.

November 4, 1984. Bucs (dreamsicle) @ Vikings. This 3-13 Vikings team actually won the game. I think I was able to go to this game because the Vikings were 2-7 and the Bucs were 3-6.

1994 Dallas Eagles in Philly. Kinda famous game, known as the 'load left' game. 4th and 1, give it to Emmitt, Emmitt doesn't get it. Eagles go on to win.

I was wearing my Dallas gear, and was lucky Dallas lost. If Dallas won, I don't think I would have made it out of that parking lot with all my teeth.

My dad took me to see the Bears and the Saints in the Superdome back in 83. Got to see Walter Payton rush for 160 with a TD AND throw 2 TDs (yes, threw) both to Willie Gault BOTH in the fourth quarter, the second of which was the final score in regulation in a game that went into OT. Kenny Stabler threw a couple of TDs, Russell Erxleben threw a 24 yard pass on a fake punt, and Johnnie Poe had a pick six for the Saints.

Morten Anderson wins the game with a FG in OT. Just a great first game to go to. Same kind of thing like Hastur above - I was a huge Payton fan and I was cheering pretty loudly around a bunch Saints fans in the rafters that had been drinking Bloody Mary's since 8am (and that's being generous), so I was lucky the Saints wound up winning.

I’ve been to ones earlier but the one I can remember is 1996 Week 4. Dallas @ Buffalo in a suite with my grandfather. Bills won 10-7. I was 10 years old.

Bucs @ Philly in September 1999. Trent Dilfer vs Doug Peterson, although McNabb came off the bench to get his first NFL game action

My Bucs won 19-5.

Jerry Rice Day week 16 in 2000. His last home game as a 49er at Candlestick. They played the Bears and won 20-0. Rice only had one catch while Terrell Owens set the single-game reception record, breaking Rice's record. The Bears were rolling with Cade McNown at QB. I think some of the Bears receivers dropped his passes on purpose here and there. They never made it past midfield. Only made it to midfield once. Terrible game. Afterwards my buddy and I are cruising through downtown SF and a local sports radio station is doing a call in thing and a little kid calls in and says "who the **** do you think you are breaking Jerry's record on his day?!" Fun times.

I really don't remember as I was pretty young. I know it was a Browns game as my dad had season tickets when I was young and he used to take me to a several games each year back in the early 70's. I definitely have distinct memories of Pittsburgh and Cincinnati games at an early age, but really don't recall if either of those were my first.

Sept 6, 1981. Bears vs Packers at Lambeau, season opener. I convinced my dad to let me go to one game with him. Packers won 16-9, and when we got home I asked my mom if she minded watching the game at home on tv. She said no, it was better in some ways to watch at home. So I took the initiative to suggest that she should skip future games if it wasn’t fun. I was 6 years old. My dad and I have gone to the opening home game something like 37 of the last 42 years.

I don't remember the first game. My father and I used to go frequently to Rams games at the Coliseum when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70s. The first one was probably around 1966. We lived in Orange County and in the mid 70's we found it easier to make the drive to San Diego for the Chargers games. We bought season tickets for the Chargers around 1975 and kept them until the late 90's. That's how I became a Chargers fan.

my first NFL game was after college, Qualcomm in San Diego hosting Elway and the Broncos. there were so many denver fans tailgating and I remember all of them offered us food and beer. awesome time and great fans. I believe that was Elway's last trip to California at least for regular season. I don't remember his playoff schedule on his way to the SB rest of that year.

I'm
Jerry Rice Day week 16 in 2000. His last home game as a 49er at Candlestick. They played the Bears and won 20-0. Rice only had one catch while Terrell Owens set the single-game reception record, breaking Rice's record. The Bears were rolling with Cade McNown at QB. I think some of the Bears receivers dropped his passes on purpose here and there. They never made it past midfield. Only made it to midfield once. Terrible game. Afterwards my buddy and I are cruising through downtown SF and a local sports radio station is doing a call in thing and a little kid calls in and says "who the **** do you think you are breaking Jerry's record on his day?!" Fun times.
Awesome, I remember that game well! Couldn't believe Garcia just kept feeding Owens. He had more than double Rice's targets.

2007, Dec 3, Chargers at Bills
Tomlinson runs for 178 yards and 2 TDs including a 51 yarder down the sideline.

A guy dressed as Santa is hammered, walking down the aisle shouting, “Santa needs 🐱

Then by the 4th quarter Santa comes and sits in front of me in the seat vacated by a drunk who left at halftime, and eats the cold leftover nachos they left behind. 😂

Chargers win 24-21 and I am hooked on attending Bills games.

Lions 32, Chiefs 21 Thanksgiving 1971

Wintery day at Tiger Stadium. Lions led throughout, at one point mid-3rd it was 29-7. Chiefs were defending SB IV Champs [the year before] with several HoFers but Detroit had a solid D.

Both teams left the stadium 7-3-1. KC won their last 3 and won the AFC West. Detroit lost their last 3 to miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

Wintery day at Tiger Stadium. Lions led throughout, at one point mid-3rd it was 29-7. Chiefs were defending SB IV Champs with several HoFers but Detroit had a solid D.

Both teams left the stadium 7-3-1. KC won their last 3 and won the AFC West. Detroit lost their last 3 to miss the playoffs.
Close, but the Chiefs won the year before. 1970 season saw the Colts win Super Bowl V.

Wintery day at Tiger Stadium. Lions led throughout, at one point mid-3rd it was 29-7. Chiefs were defending SB IV Champs with several HoFers but Detroit had a solid D.

Close, but the Chiefs won the year before. 1970 season saw the Colts win Super Bowl V.

stop messing with my childhood memories @Snoopy

(Peanuts were a huge part of growing up….my artist sister would paint a Peanuts scene on our family room “picture window” for various seasons…Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.)

My uncle took my dad and me to a game at foxboro 56-3 cheatriots. 😂. 1979. Grogan had a game 10 year old me was more fascinated by taking the train down from Boston.

1991. Lions home game versus LA Rams. Went as part of a school trip in 9th grade. Mike Utley was paralyzed during the game and gave the thumbs up as he was taken off the field. Honestly I cannot remember much about the game other than the injury but the internet says the Lions won 21-10.

About 99% sure the first was a Giants vs Buccaneers game in 1978.

The 2nd one I went to was a much more famous (or infamous) game at Giants Stadium that year....against the Eagles

-QG

I went to a Patriots game in the early 90's. Plce was pretty empty. May have been 91? They were bad and I don't remember much. Went back again in 94, they were much better then. I saw a ton of games from 96-99. I loved those uniforms. Bledsoe to Ben Coates! So much fun..

Users who are viewing this thread