What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (2 Viewers)

Just Finished "Fall of Hyperion" - the sequel to Dan's Simmons excellent Hyperion.

Very disappointing. I felt like I read the first draft of the book where Simmon's dumped all his possible ideas and thoughts down but before he actually went and trimmed it down to a coherent, well-paced story.

If it was half as long (maybe even less that that) it could've been an OK book. Not great but tolerable. Instead it felt like hundreds of pages of characters pontificating and ruminating to themselves about life. Boring and tedious. The story itself just went on and on and lacked pacing and had very little actual action. It seemed like just filler based on the previous book. On occasion, there were some ideas that seemed on the brink of being really interesting but they always petered out.

Not recommended.
That's disappointing. I really enjoyed Hyperion and was excited to see what came next. I have a few books in the queue before it but it's coming up soon.

Did you think it was so bad you were sorry you read it at all? Was it worth trudging through just to see where they ended up?
I personally, didn't like the resolution of a single one of the pilgrims so I'd recommend skipping it. Just read the wikipedia plot summary.
Sort of disappointed by Hyperion - great individual stories but it never came together. I listened to the audiobook and would :lol: when one of the pilgrims would finish a really intense story and the reaction of the other pilgrims was "That's it? Ok, see you tomorrow". Was mind-boggling that so much effort went into the individual stories but the overall story seemed slapped together.

cstu said:
Just Finished "Fall of Hyperion" - the sequel to Dan's Simmons excellent Hyperion.

Very disappointing. I felt like I read the first draft of the book where Simmon's dumped all his possible ideas and thoughts down but before he actually went and trimmed it down to a coherent, well-paced story.

If it was half as long (maybe even less that that) it could've been an OK book. Not great but tolerable. Instead it felt like hundreds of pages of characters pontificating and ruminating to themselves about life. Boring and tedious. The story itself just went on and on and lacked pacing and had very little actual action. It seemed like just filler based on the previous book. On occasion, there were some ideas that seemed on the brink of being really interesting but they always petered out.

Not recommended.
That's disappointing. I really enjoyed Hyperion and was excited to see what came next. I have a few books in the queue before it but it's coming up soon.

Did you think it was so bad you were sorry you read it at all? Was it worth trudging through just to see where they ended up?
I personally, didn't like the resolution of a single one of the pilgrims so I'd recommend skipping it. Just read the wikipedia plot summary.
Sort of disappointed by Hyperion - great individual stories but it never came together. I listened to the audiobook and would :lol: when one of the pilgrims would finish a really intense story and the reaction of the other pilgrims was "That's it? Ok, see you tomorrow". Was mind-boggling that so much effort went into the individual stories but the overall story seemed slapped together.
That's why I was looking forward to reading the sequel, whichever one says sucked. I thought it was an awesome set up and then we were going to see how it all comes together. We got Matrix'd on this one I think.

Just went on a bit of a tear the last two weeks and finished a few books...

One Year After - Forstchen

I really like the first book. The writing itself wasn't much to speak of but it was competent. I enjoyed the characters and story, it took a more communal turn on the dystopian theme and it had a bit of "this could be how it happens" feel to a lot of it. Not necessarily the event itself (although that was the point of the book) but the actual interaction in the town and how it all went down. The second book was much of the same but a little more political/action than the other one, I preferred the first book. If you liked One Second After you'll probably like One Year After. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. Although, I now live where this book was written, at least close to it. It added another dimension to the book having spent time in Black Mountain and Asheville and Montreat. That was kind of cool but not applicable to most people.

Fourth of July Creek - Henderson

This was a very solid book. It was written well but what was most likeable about it was how unflinching it was. The protagonist (Pete Snow) is a conflicted dude and it really comes through. A pretty sad book, always taking you lower and lower. You find yourself just hoping something good happens. It was starting to remind me of A Fine Balance in that regard. A good portrait of a lot of really messed up people. His daughters story was especially engaging. I thought the main antagonist story line was a little out there but still enjoyable. Definitely worth a read especially if you like your hero flawed and at times very unlikable. Not only heroes but just about everyone you come across in this one.

Station Eleven - Mandel

Fantastic book, easily my favorite of the three and it's not even close. Beautiful writing, wildly original and creative take on the over-saturated dystopian literary landscape, and tight story telling. A real woven story with great characters. The only problem with this book is how short it was, I wanted more. I want to keep following the Symphony, I hope there is a sequel. I don't even want to say anything more about this book and give anything away. Just read it. One of my favorite books I've read this year.

The Martian: overall thought it was pretty good, but wasn't blown away like a lot of people seem to be.

Paper Towns: really disliked this book

Ready Player One: Only about 50pgs in, but I am hoping that something starts happening.

Have you read any of his other books, did you like them? My teenager loves them so I read a couple. Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska.

I can see the appeal and why kids my sons age enjoy the books but I didn't really like them that much. I just didn't buy it, nobody talks that way. I'm supposed to believe there is this sub species of teenager out there that has so completely mastered oration that every word from their mouths is eloquent and meaningful and perfectly crafted. It's a far cray from Um, You know, know what'm sayin', and like, like, like.....

It's like reading an episode of Dawson's Creek.

Station Eleven - Mandel

Fantastic book, easily my favorite of the three and it's not even close. Beautiful writing, wildly original and creative take on the over-saturated dystopian literary landscape, and tight story telling. A real woven story with great characters. The only problem with this book is how short it was, I wanted more. I want to keep following the Symphony, I hope there is a sequel. I don't even want to say anything more about this book and give anything away. Just read it. One of my favorite books I've read this year.
I posted how much I enjoyed this book a few pages ago. I'm torn on the idea of a sequel. Maybe she can pull it off (& already had a longer story in mind anyway), but I've seen too many go for "after the fact" sequels just because the first, original stand-alone was so good/successful. I don't blame the author for doing so, but they're rarely as good the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time around.

That said, this is an insanely talented writer and I'll be checking out anything she does going forward.

Due to life stuff, I've been stuck on Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel for an eternity. Need to get rolling on that one and, by the time I finish, Stephen King's new short story collection will be set to go.

lombardi said:
KarmaPolice said:
Have you read any of his other books, did you like them? My teenager loves them so I read a couple. Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska.

I can see the appeal and why kids my sons age enjoy the books but I didn't really like them that much. I just didn't buy it, nobody talks that way. I'm supposed to believe there is this sub species of teenager out there that has so completely mastered oration that every word from their mouths is eloquent and meaningful and perfectly crafted. It's a far cray from Um, You know, know what'm sayin', and like, like, like.....

It's like reading an episode of Dawson's Creek.
Hadn't read any of his other books before. I saw the movie for Fault in our Stars and liked that. Figured I would try one of the books for a quick read, and they seem to be fairly well rated. A little bit was the way they talked, but I could get over that. I just thought it was really repetitive, didn't go anywhere at the end, and the main girl was really annoying.

Uruk-Hai said:
Station Eleven - Mandel

I posted how much I enjoyed this book a few pages ago. I'm torn on the idea of a sequel. Maybe she can pull it off (& already had a longer story in mind anyway), but I've seen too many go for "after the fact" sequels just because the first, original stand-alone was so good/successful. I don't blame the author for doing so, but they're rarely as good the 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) time around.That said, this is an insanely talented writer and I'll be checking out anything she does going forward.

Due to life stuff, I've been stuck on Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel for an eternity. Need to get rolling on that one and, by the time I finish, Stephen King's new short story collection will be set to go.
I really, really enjoyed the book mostly because I love beautiful writing but there was one thing I really wanted, I wanted a bit more of a conclusion at the end. I don't mind an open ended book or something where an ending is vague or leaves something to your imagination. But after all of the twisting and the turning at the end and all of these stories coming together, I really wanted there to be some kind of....

....conversation or acknowledgement by some of these characters regarding the past. It seems awfully coincidental if people are just going to pass in and out of people's lives but not interact about it considering how obsessed everyone is with the past. We know at the end Clark and Kirstin were sharing the Station Eleven book, we know Clark knew who Kirstin was from the newspaper article. We know Clark knew who the prophet was. I just wanted one more chapter in there at the end. Or, something before the prophet dies where there is some dialogue or conversation at the end connecting it all. Also Jeevan was a really interesting character who I thought was going to play into the book more at the end but he was just kind of a side story.

I guess this was all intentional and she was telling a purposefully sparse story and not spoon feeding us a predictable ending. I actually liked how it ended, both the climax and denouement, but I just wanted that little bit of satisfaction at the end because I felt like the storyteller owed it to me :) Maybe that was the plan, they always say leave them wanting more.

There is just so much more possibility at the end. I love that, when a book obviously leads into so much more story even if it's never told. I just hope it is told one day, at least parts of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final Dark Tower was great. That's about the only thing of his I would read for years. I eventually tried again with Under the Dome (well before the show on tv) but hated it. Oh, I also read Through the Keyhole because it was DT related.

I don't know if I have it in me to give another of his new books a shot.

I hear you lombardi re: King novels. As cstu stated I hear Mr. Mercedes is good and also heard good things about Revival and Finders Keepers.

I thought Dome was decent until the end. Didn't really like the final Dark Tower book though I guess it brought resolution to the story line.

I still like his short story collections.

I hear you lombardi re: King novels. As cstu stated I hear Mr. Mercedes is good and also heard good things about Revival and Finders Keepers.

I thought Dome was decent until the end. Didn't really like the final Dark Tower book though I guess it brought resolution to the story line.

I still like his short story collections.
I just started the new collection. Some of these stories have been published before and are rereads for me - like the first one in the book I'm reading now, Mile 81

Any biographies that the masses highly recommend?
I had a post a couple of pages back giving some biography recommendations to someone else. McCullough's The Wright Brothers is a newer release that is good.

If there is any particular topic/person of interest, I could try to think of something more specific. I read a lot of biographies.

Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey. More likely to be read by a mom's book club than a self respecting FBG, but whatever. It's an interesting take on raising kids to be autonomous instead of dependent narcissistic brats. Timely read given my kids are in grade school.

The final Dark Tower was great. That's about the only thing of his I would read for years. I eventually tried again with Under the Dome (well before the show on tv) but hated it. Oh, I also read Through the Keyhole because it was DT related.

The Talisman was superb. I also struggle with finishing some of his work.

Told myself I was done with King after quitting Under the Dome 2/3rds through. That was after quitting Duma Key almost near the end. Didn't even read Wind Through the Keyhole.

Gave Mr. Mercedes a shot after reading good things and realized it's a shame that he stuck with fantasy/horror so long...as much as I've loved a lot of his books, he's too good of a writer to keep going back to the well with it over and over.

Told myself I was done with King after quitting Under the Dome 2/3rds through. That was after quitting Duma Key almost near the end. Didn't even read Wind Through the Keyhole.

Gave Mr. Mercedes a shot after reading good things and realized it's a shame that he stuck with fantasy/horror so long...as much as I've loved a lot of his books, he's too good of a writer to keep going back to the well with it over and over.
If you haven't read 11/22/63 you are are robbing yourself.

Told myself I was done with King after quitting Under the Dome 2/3rds through. That was after quitting Duma Key almost near the end. Didn't even read Wind Through the Keyhole.Gave Mr. Mercedes a shot after reading good things and realized it's a shame that he stuck with fantasy/horror so long...as much as I've loved a lot of his books, he's too good of a writer to keep going back to the well with it over and over.
Started this a couple days ago, 10 to 15% through. Great so far. I had never read any Stephen King until this year. Ive read The Shining, The Gunslinger, The Stand, and 11/22/63 now. All very good reads.

Any biographies that the masses highly recommend?
I had a post a couple of pages back giving some biography recommendations to someone else. McCullough's The Wright Brothers is a newer release that is good.

If there is any particular topic/person of interest, I could try to think of something more specific. I read a lot of biographies.
I remember that rec. on the Wright Brothers book - for some reason the library system doesn't have that one though. About the only one I had in mind was a good book on Tesla (scientist, not band). Really don't have anything in particular that I was looking for. A lot of stuff interest me, and I usually just wander the library and pull stuff out at random. Just looking for some good reads, and biographies are something I don't usually get, so I haven't read that many. I would say that my main interests are: movies, science, true crime, history, and music. As I said, anything interesting will do.

Told myself I was done with King after quitting Under the Dome 2/3rds through. That was after quitting Duma Key almost near the end. Didn't even read Wind Through the Keyhole.Gave Mr. Mercedes a shot after reading good things and realized it's a shame that he stuck with fantasy/horror so long...as much as I've loved a lot of his books, he's too good of a writer to keep going back to the well with it over and over.
Started this a couple days ago, 10 to 15% through. Great so far.I had never read any Stephen King until this year. Ive read The Shining, The Gunslinger, The Stand, and 11/22/63 now. All very good reads.
I grew up with his early stuff so I love and recommend all those. For me, his stuff turns south in the late 80s. Salems Lot, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Dead Zone, It, Misery are all great reads. I have read a little of the new stuff, and think it is pretty good. I just think now he is having trouble with the endings to his books.

I just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings. I thought it was amazing. It took me quite a while to get acclimated to the Jamaican patois, but once I was able to understand it, I thought it was incredible. Anyone else read it?

Gift of Failure by Jessica Lahey. More likely to be read by a mom's book club than a self respecting FBG, but whatever. It's an interesting take on raising kids to be autonomous instead of dependent narcissistic brats. Timely read given my kids are in grade school.
Did you end up liking this? I'm tempted. Never hurts to get some more opinions on how not to #### up your kids.

Did you end up liking this? I'm tempted. Never hurts to get some more opinions on how not to #### up your kids.
I did like this. It didn't hurt that the premise was consistent with opinions I already had and that we are wrestling with a lot of nagging in our house. The tone of the book is not preachy and the content is well researched.

The major premise of the book is that many parents today are overshadowing their kids to get perfect grades and creating the perfect college application. To do so, well-intentioned parents are constantly helping, interfering and hand holding kids to achieve this and not allowing kids the space to figure this stuff out for themselves. Not rocket science, but very useful ideas in this day and age.

I did like this. It didn't hurt that the premise was consistent with opinions I already had and that we are wrestling with a lot of nagging in our house. The tone of the book is not preachy and the content is well researched.

The major premise of the book is that many parents today are overshadowing their kids to get perfect grades and creating the perfect college application. To do so, well-intentioned parents are constantly helping, interfering and hand holding kids to achieve this and not allowing kids the space to figure this stuff out for themselves. Not rocket science, but very useful ideas in this day and age.
did it give useful tips to help with this too? (aside from not doing what you wrote)

my wife and I are both in creative fields- and we both are horrified at the sheer volume of extracurricular stuff parents are putting their kids into- after school, weekends, and especially in the summer. we both feel like our creativity was able to flourish and develop as kids most when we were bored- when we had nothing to officially "do" and would be forced to use our brains and just make stuff up.

oh books, books book...

#1 son has gotten into Harry Potter lately, so I was perusing one of our local sidewalk sellers. found a book further down the line #5 instead of #3 and grabbed it. but he also had 100 Year of Solitude- which I've been thinking about lately. read it as a teenager and still consider it one of my favorite books... even if I can't remember it. the not remembering part made me decide to buy it. pretty psyched to reread this

I grew up with his early stuff so I love and recommend all those. For me, his stuff turns south in the late 80s. Salems Lot, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Dead Zone, It, Misery are all great reads. I have read a little of the new stuff, and think it is pretty good. I just think now he is having trouble with the endings to his books.
He was heavy into alcohol and cocaine and hit rock bottom with The Tommyknockers in 1987:

Did the quality of your writing start to go down?

Yeah, it did. I mean, The Tommyknockers is an awful book. That was the last one I wrote before I cleaned up my act. And I've thought about it a lot lately and said to myself, "There's really a good book in here, underneath all the sort of spurious energy that cocaine provides, and I ought to go back." The book is about 700 pages long, and I'm thinking, "There's probably a good 350-page novel in there."

Is The Tommyknockers the one book in your catalog you think you botched?

Well, I don't like Dreamcatcher very much. Dreamcatcher was written after the accident. [in 1999, King was hit by a van while taking a walk and left severely injured.] I was using a lot of Oxycontin for pain. And I couldn't work on a computer back then because it hurt too much to sit in that position. So I wrote the whole thing longhand. And I was pretty stoned when I wrote it, because of the Oxy, and that's another book that shows the drugs at work.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/stephen-king-the-rolling-stone-interview-20141031#ixzz3rFX91pJv

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

did it give useful tips to help with this too? (aside from not doing what you wrote)

my wife and I are both in creative fields- and we both are horrified at the sheer volume of extracurricular stuff parents are putting their kids into- after school, weekends, and especially in the summer. we both feel like our creativity was able to flourish and develop as kids most when we were bored- when we had nothing to officially "do" and would be forced to use our brains and just make stuff up.
It did give tips that I thought were pretty good, but it wasn't necessarily a self-help book, so there was not a 12 week detailed plan for example. Personally, I preferred this, as the book focused on the concept of autonomous kids and why that is good as opposed to the roadmap. Anyway, the useful tips were in the format of examples of typical things you say to kids and which are controlling/nagging and which are just supportive. They also point out what activities kids should be able to do independently at different ages (load dishwasher, plan / make own lunch, etc). There is a fine line between letting your kids run rampant vs. giving a fair amount of leash and I can see that will be the challenge for us.

I subscribe to the idea that kids will be happier when they can figure stuff out for themselves for personal sake as opposed to the cookie reward. If you're on board with this, you'd enjoy this book.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I read A Walk in the Woods by Bryson and loved it so I'm sure I'll like this.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/076790818X
^^ Ugh this took me a month and a half to finish. Very readable and Bryson is funny as always but the content just bored me to death.

On to Stephen King's new short story collection: Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Finished it the other day. Heads-up: three (that I'm aware of) of the stories have been previously published as Kindle singles: UR (which I think was the first K single and which I hadn't read before), Mile 81 (I had read before), and Blockade Billy (which I had also read before).

I liked at. I think two of the new (to me) stories were kind of "meh" but the rest were very good.

Blood of Angels, the last of The Straw Men trilogy by Michael Marshall (Smith). I really enjoyed the first two but kind of lost touch with the series and author. Was reminded of it by a BBC series based on another book by the same author. If you're into conspiracy, and pretty good action/intrigue, I'd recommend the series. Be warned though, the conspiracy stuff is pretty over the top.

Next is Slade House by David Mitchell.

There were some developments in the final Dark Tower book that diminished the entire series for me. I can't remember my thoughts on the book overall, but I felt how he handled some characters / conflicts at the end was anticlimactic / disappointing. (I liked the Coda though) I still bought the Wind Through the Keyhole but haven't been able to bring myself to go back and read it yet.

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

I liked Mr. Mercedes but Finders Keepers wasn't nearly as good. "That $#!t don't mean $#!t" Hopefully the third book to close out the trilogy is good, it seems like its set up well from the end of FK.

I liked The Martian a lot but not sure how much the fact that I'm a Mechanical Engineer played into that,

I somehow got tricked into reading a chick book. "The Girl on the Train" was still pretty good though.

Just started on Jack Reacher books and almost halfway through the first one, like it a lot so far. Downside is they are $10 for Kindle versions, hopefully there's a price drop where I can pick up more at some point.

There were some developments in the final Dark Tower book that diminished the entire series for me. I can't remember my thoughts on the book overall, but I felt how he handled some characters / conflicts at the end was anticlimactic / disappointing. (I liked the Coda though) I still bought the Wind Through the Keyhole but haven't been able to bring myself to go back and read it yet.
I think your point about some characters' resolutions is a pretty common sentiment. On first read, one seemed really anticlimactic and lazy (I'm sure you know who I'm talking about). But later on, it didn't bother me near as much. Not everyone goes out in an epic blaze of glory, no matter how powerful they are (and I'm sure King's having been almost killed a couple of years earlier played into that).

Wind Through The Keyhole is entertaining, though "real time" Dark Tower events are only used as a framing device for a flashback to Roland's youth and THAT story is really only and excuse for for the telling of what's basically a Mid-World folk tale.

oh books, books book...

#1 son has gotten into Harry Potter lately, so I was perusing one of our local sidewalk sellers. found a book further down the line #5 instead of #3 and grabbed it. but he also had 100 Year of Solitude- which I've been thinking about lately. read it as a teenager and still consider it one of my favorite books... even if I can't remember it. the not remembering part made me decide to buy it. pretty psyched to reread this
I do want to read it as it has received so much praise, but I am hesitant as the only GG Marquez book have read was "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and I thought it was garbage. Have you read that? Is 100 Years just light years better?

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

I liked Mr. Mercedes but Finders Keepers wasn't nearly as good. "That $#!t don't mean $#!t" Hopefully the third book to close out the trilogy is good, it seems like its set up well from the end of FK.
i'm going to keep jumping up and down recommending The Talisman until someone agrees with me that it's one of his better ones. :P

11/22/63 is on my list.

oh books, books book...

Love 100 Years of Solitude. You may want to try The General in His Labyrinth, which is also by Marquez. Fan of both, although a bigger fan of the former.

Sand said:

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

i'm going to keep jumping up and down recommending The Talisman until someone agrees with me that it's one of his better ones. :P

11/22/63 is on my list.
Talisman is one of his better ones. :) For real, I really liked it. And I thought Black House was a good follow up as well.

Actually Talisman is what got me into Peter Straub, and while he has a few clunkers several of his books are just flat excellent in my opinion, particularly the Blue Rose trilogy.

oh books, books book...

I do want to read it as it has received so much praise, but I am hesitant as the only GG Marquez book have read was "Memories of My Melancholy Whores" and I thought it was garbage. Have you read that? Is 100 Years just light years better?
didn't read the whore book. read Love time of cholera, which I liked, didn't love. 100 years was life changing, IIRC. at least- I remember it blowing my socks off, but I don't remember the book well enough to remember exactly why. maybe it was the first bit of magical realism I read. or maybe it's just great. dunno. I quickly followed that up with House of Spirits (?) by Isabelle Allende(?) and thought that one was also just ok.

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

I liked The Martian a lot but not sure how much the fact that I'm a Mechanical Engineer played into that,

I somehow got tricked into reading a chick book. "The Girl on the Train" was still pretty good though.

Just started on Jack Reacher books and almost halfway through the first one, like it a lot so far. Downside is they are $10 for Kindle versions, hopefully there's a price drop where I can pick up more at some point.
:thumbup: The price does suck. Like you I'm hoping for a deal at some point. I read the first 4, skipped 5 because the reviews were awful, read 6 and 7 and have 8 queued up. They're a little hit and miss but generally enjoyable.

Just finished Obsidian Worlds - a fantastic sci-fi short story collection.

Dark, Offbeat, Funny, Raunchy. The stories grab you and really make you think.

I really enjoyed Bleed me Silicon and Falling for Q46F. Very funny. Very touching.

Highly recommended. Its on sale at Amazon right now for .99 cents.

Gravity said:
Just finished Obsidian Worlds - a fantastic sci-fi short story collection.

Dark, Offbeat, Funny, Raunchy. The stories grab you and really make you think.

I really enjoyed Bleed me Silicon and Falling for Q46F. Very funny. Very touching.

Highly recommended. Its on sale at Amazon right now for .99 cents.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just purchased through Amazon. I'll read one tonight and report back... some of the reviews I've read have me kind of amped up for this.

Users who are viewing this thread