What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal: Did you set an out of office email for today? (1 Viewer)

Did you set one or what, brah?

• Yes

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 90 82.6%
  • Smoo

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whenever I am out I set up the out of office message.. i took a couple extra days earlier to make it a longer Labor Day weekend and have not read one single email.. i figure it there was an emergency i'd get a phone call.. F them.. If your house is on fire you don't e-mail the fire company right? :banned::banned:

Coming in the 15-20% range of yes, seems quite odd but whatever. I feel like it is sort of a jerk move.

No. It's a freaking federal holiday and I'm a desk drone. My US colleagues better not me emailing me and my foreign counterparts will survive without a response for a day. I don't even set an out of office for a non-holiday day off unless I'll be out more than one day (or sometimes not unless it'll be a few days, depends on how often I'll bother checking emails).

No, because I forgot and didn't care enough to reopen Outlook and deal with it. Even though I sometimes get emails from people in other countries, there's not going to be anything so important that it can't wait until tomorrow.

However, if I am going to be taking off more than just the holiday itself, I will set an OOO message.

I may use OOO if I’m going to be out more than 2 days. I no longer have any external customers and all our work is done through Teams. Nothing I do is all that important.

For a federal holiday, as a federal attorney? 🤣 not a chance.
I will set it for Wednesday when I’m off again.

Coming in the 15-20% range of yes, seems quite odd but whatever. I feel like it is sort of a jerk move.
Really depends on whether you have a lot of foreign colleagues that might not know it's US Labor Day.

I am in that situation, and I did not set OOO. It's 1 day. They can live without a reply today.

I never set one. I’ll get back to you when I get back to you. Nothing I do is that urgent.
Every job is different, but I don't think I could ever do this. I have developed a self imposed 1 business day rule - I'll either get back to you, store it in an email folder, or (extremely infrequently) write back and say something along the lines of I got your message and will get back with you asap (it has to both be important and I not have time). That said, my OOO message is usually crafted in a manner indicating only write to me for informational purposes - 'I am out of the office until X and am not checking email - if you need my assistance please reach out to me after that time.' Am I really not checking email? Of course I am, but it's periodic (2-3x on a 10 day trip?) and the only people I'll respond to are on our team or a couple of peers I respect very highly (and usually only on teams). Everyone else? If it's that important then someone else can help you and if it's not that important then the next time you need something we may not listen.

I hate getting automatic replies that you're OOO. It doesn't happen often, but the ones I usually get it from (over)use it a lot. That's probably why it's annoying to get.

I did but I took Friday off before the Monday. Had I not taken a PTO day Friday I would not have enabled out of office.

I never set one. I’ll get back to you when I get back to you. Nothing I do is that urgent.
Same for 99% of us, yet here we are...unfortunately. Everyone thinks they are so damn important :)

At my company, management requests we always use an out of office message anytime we take PTO. If you think about it, it's actually a good idea, well for me anyway. I work in IT and end users are like the terminator. These end users are out there. They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. they don't feel pity or remorse or fear and they absolutely will not stop. . . ever. . . until you are dead. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread