What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Dizon? (1 Viewer)

bucsbaby

Footballguy
Dizon gets a lot of love on these forums. I just read though on NFL.com that the Lions may consider taking a LB #1 overall (Curry?). If that is true, then what, if anything, happens to Dizon, who has been touted as the heir-apparent to the MLB throne in Det?

Dizon gets a lot of love on these forums. I just read though on NFL.com that the Lions may consider taking a LB #1 overall (Curry?). If that is true, then what, if anything, happens to Dizon, who has been touted as the heir-apparent to the MLB throne in Det?
Did you see Dizon at all last year? Dizon gets destroyed at the point of attack.Dizon is too small and not strong enough to play LB in the NFL. Hopefully he can be a good special teams player.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's been some discussion of Dizon in other threads after the coaching change if you get a chance to do some searching. Though some felt he would become a capable player, the bulk of his preseason support came from his expected opportunity, which due to any number of factors, never panned out last season.

Dizon was a much better fit for the Tampa-2 that the Lions previously ran, although his frequent time in the training room in what was mostly special teams duty was becoming a concern. He's not going to fit nearly as well in what Jim Schwartz wants to do. The Lions will bring in plenty of defensive competition over the next two years and there are plenty of linebackers in the draft and free agency that could end up here this year. It'll be very surprising if Dizon earns much playing time here (or probably anywhere else).

Dizon has no future in Detroit no matter what happens. They specifically mentioned wanting to be more physical and faster. Another "rumor" suggests Dizon only weighed 215-220, which is far too small to play LB in any defense.

Dizon has no future in Detroit no matter what happens. They specifically mentioned wanting to be more physical and faster. Another "rumor" suggests Dizon only weighed 215-220, which is far too small to play LB in any defense.
AB, I stated before that I met Dizon and a few other Lions at a function at Ford Field. When I met Dizon I was shocked at how small he looked. Not small for a normal guy but way too small for a NFL LB. When you think of Joey Porter and James Harrison and guys like that..Dizon looked like a little kid.I am 6-1 and weigh 215 and I was bigger than him. There is no way in hell a guy like Dizon could man up against a pulling guard in the NFL and win that battle.

Thanks guys, I was just remembering all the preseason hype and now found myself wondering what happened to this guy. I didn't realize the hype was based mostly off of opportunity.

Thanks guys, I was just remembering all the preseason hype and now found myself wondering what happened to this guy. I didn't realize the hype was based mostly off of opportunity.
For many, it was as much talent (or at least the potential of such) as opportunity. There were scattered scouting reports that suggested he might be successful enough in pass coverage and elusive enough to get away from blockers. And his collegiate numbers showed someone who was always around the ball. Coupled with what looked like a primo every down MLB job on a very poor team, and he looked like a very nice IDP option. At one point, the IDP Forum favored Dizon 2:1 over Mayo. In that poll, he also got 32 votes over Curtis Lofton as the future stud of the 2008 IDP LB class. It was more than just opportunity for many.In the end, however, the tea leaves suggested that Dizon was going to be a player that needed to be protected within a scheme. Those players may succeed in a right scheme, right time, right opportunity situation, but they're always at a high risk of busting or being replaced. Opportunity is huge when considering box score production, but it's a risky fallback if not supported by talent. That was part of the thrust behind the Mayo > Dizon argument for me.

Thanks Jene, excellent analysis. That fits more with my recollection of things as well. It will be interesting to see what happens with the defense/trainwreck in Detroit.

Users who are viewing this thread