What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which "sleeper" TE is your favorite? (1 Viewer)

Which player is most likely to become top 10 TE?

• Total voters

Ping Pong

Footballguy
There's been a lot of talk about some extremely talented, but unproven TEs that are all being drafted extremely late. Jared Cook, Aaron Hernandez, and Lance Kendricks are all pass catching monsters with a buttload of talent, so I want to know, when you're down to the last rounds of your draft and you're going for a "swing for the fences" upside TE2, which one do you choose?

[*]Jared Cook

Cook hasn't been utilized much in the last 2 years, but with a new head coach, and signs of improvement last year, it seems like he'll be much more involved with the offense. Will his talent break out in his 3rd year, like many traditional WRs?

[*]Lance Kendricks

Kendricks is the biggest unknown, since he's never played an NFL snap, but he's in arguably the best situation, and the coaches have said they'll use him. Good, young quarterback in Bradford, McDaniel's pass happy offense, no real standout WRs... But can he realistically put up quality fantasy stats as a rookie? Will he have growing pains learning the playbook and adjusting to the speed of the game? Last year, I would have said that in general, rookie TEs struggle, but we had those two TEs in NE...

[*]Aaron Hernandez

Hernandez has seemingly been lost in all the Gronkowski "man among boys" hype (although Waldman still loves Hernandez). He's shown he can do it in the NFL, and he has arguably the best QB in the league throwing to him, but he's also mired in an offense with way too many weapons, including another up and coming stud TE. Will Hernandez be the forgotten man behind Gronk, Ocho, Welker, Branch, Woodhead, etc.? Or is the offense potent enough to feed all these players?

Who do you choose??

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that any of these have nice upside when chosen to be your backup TE. I like Hernandez, but only when paired with Gronkowski. I own both in one league. Another 'sleeper' TE I'd add to your list is Jermaine Gresham. He's my TE3, even though he has the same bye week as Gronk/Hernandez. His overall talent level is right up there with Gronk and I think he will be the receiver to own in Cincinnati this year.

I don't consider Cook to be a sleeper, but maybe in some circles he is. IMO he's the most likely to be top 10 this year and slightly more likely than Kendricks long term. Hernandez is more likely to be solid but not great unless he gets separated from Gronk, just too many mouths to feed in New England.

Kendricks looks really good, but I think it'll be a year before he really takes off.

I like Cook a lot, but my vote has to go to Hernandez. I love this take by Waldman over on his Blog

They’re just using Aaron Hernandez in the preseason as an opening act for Gronkowskimania: If you believe that then I have a this conditioning DVD by Jonathan Dwyer that I’d like to sell you. If you still think that Aaron Hernandez is going to see fewer targets because of Rob Gronkowski, you’re forgetting that Hernandez was beating cornerbacks last year. No, not two years ago at Florida, last year in the NFL. Cornerbacks, folks. As long as he’s healthy, Hernandez is the true match up nightmare. Especially with Chad Ochocinco having enough difficulty learning the offense that T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Mark Clayton have been brought in for workouts.

the guy who'll beat all of these TE's ?

Ed Dickson - Ravens. after watching last night's game, he's going to be a major force in the Ravens offense this season.

Kendricks looks really good, but I think it'll be a year before he really takes off.

I like Cook a lot, but my vote has to go to Hernandez. I love this take by Waldman over on his Blog

They’re just using Aaron Hernandez in the preseason as an opening act for Gronkowskimania: If you believe that then I have a this conditioning DVD by Jonathan Dwyer that I’d like to sell you. If you still think that Aaron Hernandez is going to see fewer targets because of Rob Gronkowski, you’re forgetting that Hernandez was beating cornerbacks last year. No, not two years ago at Florida, last year in the NFL. Cornerbacks, folks. As long as he’s healthy, Hernandez is the true match up nightmare. Especially with Chad Ochocinco having enough difficulty learning the offense that T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Mark Clayton have been brought in for workouts.
agreed - Hernandez is going to be a matchup nightmare for defenses this year, and I think the Pats will be taking full advantage of it. I think Gronkowski might catch a couple more TDs, but Hernandez is going to be the more consistently utilized weapon in the NE passing attack and will end up with more points from his yardage and reception totals.

That's one of the reasons. He was a combine monster, put up some of the best numbers of any TE in the last 4 or 5 years. Also the lack of quality WRs on the Titans Roster, the new coach who really like's his potential, and the fact that this is his third year in the league and he showed improvement late last season

the guy who'll beat all of these TE's ?Ed Dickson - Ravens. after watching last night's game, he's going to be a major force in the Ravens offense this season.
I don't think it will be this year. I think he will be up and down. But I agree with you: this is the time to buy him.

Is this is a who do I drop post in disguise?Only 3?Fred Davis would be my choice.

the guy who'll beat all of these TE's ?Ed Dickson - Ravens. after watching last night's game, he's going to be a major force in the Ravens offense this season.
Except he has Pitta to contend with taking catches away. Looks like a TEBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this is a who do I drop post in disguise?

Only 3?

Fred Davis would be my choice.

the guy who'll beat all of these TE's ?

Ed Dickson - Ravens. after watching last night's game, he's going to be a major force in the Ravens offense this season.
It's that special time of year when the disguise posts and the posts calling out the disguised posts begin to appear. ;)

Is this is a who do I drop post in disguise?Only 3?Fred Davis would be my choice.

I'd like to see the roster size and league combination that lets me feasibly have Kendricks, Cook, and Hernandez all on my team. There's other guys out there obviously, but these 3 are, from what I've seen, the most talked about "sleeper" TEs out there. Everyone's always looking for the next Antonio Gates, and these guys could all be him (if you believe their supporters). But there's always a lot of potential in these types of players, I want to know how people differentiate the "potential." PS: I voted for Hernandez

I don't consider Cook to be a sleeper, but maybe in some circles he is. IMO he's the most likely to be top 10 this year and slightly more likely than Kendricks long term. Hernandez is more likely to be solid but not great unless he gets separated from Gronk, just too many mouths to feed in New England.
According to FFG's ADP, Hernandez is being selected as TE17, Cook is TE19, and Kendricks is TE29, all being selected in the 13th round or later of a 12 team league.

Moore, Cook, Olsen and Kendricks come to mind.

I'm one of those 3 TE carrying guys. It's a keeper league, though, so I drafted Gronk 14, Olsen 15 and Cook in 19. Will likely be moving / dropping my last two picks to add depth / handcuffs needed elsewhere.

None of the above will be starters on a FF roster this season unless things went really bad for you.
I rolled the dice and ignored TE in order to grab Kendricks at the end of my draft. I like everything about his situation and can really see a breakout coming here, despite being a rook.If after the next couple preseason games I start to feel nervous, I'll hit the wire for the Soldier (KWII).

Part of the Cook hype is this blurb from Rotoworld:

Beat writer Jim Wyatt believes Jared Cook will lead the Titans in receptions this season.Wyatt is setting the over/under at 62 catches for one of fantasy's best breakout candidates. As Cook enters his third season, he is being split out wide often and impressing new quarterback Matt Hasselbeck with his athleticism. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Cook attain TE1 status quickly. Aug 17 - 12:02 PM
In redraft I'd rather have Cook by a lot.In dynasty I'd still take Kendricks because there's more potential for domination.

'two_dollars said:
None of the above will be starters on a FF roster this season unless things went really bad for you.
I remain optimistic.And well stocked at other spots to trade, if necessary. lol

Of the three listed...

Cook if I'm drafting for an upside play.

Kendricks as a safer play, particularly in PPRs.

I'm not sure if Pettitgrew counts as a sleeper TE, but based on where I see him go in some mocks he is to me and I think he has a great chance to join or at least come close to the elite TEs in the league.

I like Kendricks a lot, but its important to remember that Gronkowski had the best rookie TE season in the last 20 years last season and it only got him to #5 in fantasy. For Kendricks to be viable to draft as your TE#1, he will have to have that kind of season. Possible, yes, but i'd be careful. Its a very difficult position and takes some time to learn all the ins and outs. He could well have what his team considers an excellent rookie season and still be un-startable.

I like Kendricks a lot, but its important to remember that Gronkowski had the best rookie TE season in the last 20 years last season and it only got him to #5 in fantasy. For Kendricks to be viable to draft as your TE#1, he will have to have that kind of season. Possible, yes, but i'd be careful. Its a very difficult position and takes some time to learn all the ins and outs. He could well have what his team considers an excellent rookie season and still be un-startable.
What kind of season did Gronk and Hernandez have combined? I'm not suggesting that the Rams = Pats, but having another dynamic pass catching TE on the team was certainly a hindrance that Kendricks won't have. That said, I'm not expecting him to be top 5, but I have high hopes for Bradford and I really like that the coaches there seem to view Kendricks as a weapon. Bradford didn't have any last year and can surely use some. Why not Kendricks? He a good blocker and an excellent receiver and is being used all over the field as an H-back. The coaches have been singing his praises since camp opened and he seems locked into the starter role.Plus you know Josh McD loves Bill B and was watching with the rest of us as the NE rookie TEs score 16 TDs last year.

By the way, I think Cook's upside is 70/1100/10 ish. :yes:
With Locker or Hasselback?I like Kendricks quite a bit this year.Also, not sure I would consider Hernandez a sleeper, even if he doesnt blow up I find it hard that he would finish outside of the middle of the pack. Although I do favor Gronk over Aaron if I had to choose one.

'LawFitz said:
'two_dollars said:
I rolled the dice and ignored TE in order to grab Kendricks at the end of my draft. I like everything about his situation and can really see a breakout coming here, despite being a rook.If after the next couple preseason games I start to feel nervous, I'll hit the wire for the Soldier (KWII).
If Winslow doesn't pan out, you could always pick up Vernon Davis off the wire.In all seriousness, I have no idea why anyone would take Kendricks over Winslow.

Real Sleeper: Evan Moore
Banking on a Watson injury?
Think Gronk / Hernandez, only with zero talent on the outside to steal catches.
Yeah, I just don't see that many TE Targets in Cleveland.
Why not? Cleveland had more TE targets than NE last year. Watson had 102 last year, Moore had 26 and 12 for Royal = 140 total targets compared to 59 for Gronk, 64 for Hernandez and 11 for Crumpler = 134. Take out any viable threat at WR for Cleveland and a true West Coast system and staff with Colt in year two and I think it's a reasonable comparison.The weak QB argument for some of these guys seems silly to me. Who was it tossing the rock to Vernon Davis, again? Cooley? Marcedes Lewis?

'LawFitz said:
'two_dollars said:
:confused: How could Winslow be available on the FA list if you drafted Kendricks?

Why not? Cleveland had more TE targets than NE last year. Watson had 102 last year, Moore had 26 and 12 for Royal = 140 total targets compared to 59 for Gronk, 64 for Hernandez and 11 for Crumpler = 134.
I meant that there isn't enough targets to make Moore a viable TE "sleeper". I was not speaking to the NE situation.

'LawFitz said:
'two_dollars said:
:confused: How could Winslow be available on the FA list if you drafted Kendricks?
Order of drafted TEs (10 teams, 15 round redraft)GatesClarkWittenFinleyDavisDanielsLewisGronkGrahamPettigrewCelekKendricksGonzoOlsenStartables sitting on the wire:KWIIWatson/MooreKellerHernandezShaincoeCook

Why not? Cleveland had more TE targets than NE last year. Watson had 102 last year, Moore had 26 and 12 for Royal = 140 total targets compared to 59 for Gronk, 64 for Hernandez and 11 for Crumpler = 134.
I meant that there isn't enough targets to make Moore a viable TE "sleeper". I was not speaking to the NE situation.
Not sure what you mean. You expect the split to be 100 for Watson & 30 for Moore again? Otherwise, the numbers show that there are that many TE targets in Cleveland. If so, I don't see it. Watson's season was an anomaly, likely due to the fire lit by being dumped. Moore is being lined up as a matchup nightmare specifically b/c the WRs are so weak. IDK - Moore & Watson are on the wire in the one league I have that already drafted. But Moore has been a camp/preseason star and that bears watching. Watson is not a guy that lines up wide and causes matchup problems.

IDK - Moore & Watson are on the wire in the one league I have that already drafted. But Moore has been a camp/preseason star and that bears watching. Watson is not a guy that lines up wide and causes matchup problems.
Watson is ahead of him on the depth chart AND has more talent.Watson is the only TE on the roster with TE1 upside IMHO.

What kind of season did Gronk and Hernandez have combined? I'm not suggesting that the Rams = Pats, but having another dynamic pass catching TE on the team was certainly a hindrance that Kendricks won't have. That said, I'm not expecting him to be top 5, but I have high hopes for Bradford and I really like that the coaches there seem to view Kendricks as a weapon.
Gronk and Hernandez sort of prove the point- you just have a lot more noise with a rookie TE than with any other position, so who knows what will happen? If either of those guys got all those targets he would have been a flat out stud- but the point is they didn't. Nor has any rookie TE been a flat out stud since Keith Jackson in 1988. It seems to happen about once per decade, even if you consider points per game.This matters in the TE conversation because after about the top 5 it doesn't really matter who you have very much- the difference between TE6 and TE15 was about a point per game last season (your ppr mileage will vary). In a league with tight rosters you can probably take a flyer on Kendricks as your only TE and get away with it, but if benches are deep enough for most teams to stable multiple TEs, you could easily get stuck starting a guy who wouldn't crack anybody elses roster. I see it like this:-There is a very small chance Kendricks is a once-a-decade special TE that is a top 3 and probably makes your season. The other guys mentioned have a better chance historically speaking.-There is a high likelihood Kendricks ends up in the middle of the pack where he's little different from ten other guys.-There is some possibility that Kendricks doesn't click and ends up out of the top 15 and is un-startable. The odds of a rookie doing this is higher than the other guys.So his upside is real but a long shot, his downside is real and less unlikely, the probability is he will be muddled in the middle. From my point of view he's a good guy to take a flyer on if he isn't snapped up too early, but a bad guy to draft as your TE1 because you WILL have to take him to early, and you may not have a viable plan B depending on your league. The upside is outweighed by the downside in my opinion to take Kendricks as your only option.

So his upside is real but a long shot, his downside is real and less unlikely, the probability is he will be muddled in the middle. From my point of view he's a good guy to take a flyer on if he isn't snapped up too early, but a bad guy to draft as your TE1 because you WILL have to take him to early, and you may not have a viable plan B depending on your league. The upside is outweighed by the downside in my opinion to take Kendricks as your only option.
Well I took him as my #1 TE in the 13th of 15 rounds and so far don't feel bad about it. God bless the preseason. :banned:

Take out any viable threat at WR for Cleveland
Mr Little will have something to say about that.
Watson is ahead of him on the depth chart AND has more talent.
If you haven't already watch the Moore pre-season clips (keep in mind they werent garbage time either, they were against starters). I don't know that he overtakes Watson this year but he's definitely talented.

If you haven't already watch the Moore pre-season clips (keep in mind they werent garbage time either, they were against starters). I don't know that he overtakes Watson this year but he's definitely talented.
I watch every single relevant preseason snap.Moore has had a nice preseason, but he's not Watson IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread