What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which work schedule do you prefer - 1 hour commute (1 Viewer)

Which work schedule would you prefer - assume 1 hour commute

• Regular five 8 hour days

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • 9/80 - 44 hours one week , 36 the other off every other Friday

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • 4-10s off every Friday

Votes: 106 82.2%

• Total voters

belljr

Footballguy
Which schedule would you prefer - 1 hour commute

Assume liberal 30 minute lunch

WANTED TO POST ONE POLL BUT CAN'T

Typical Desk work - NO OT

Last edited:
Your kid is out of the house... So I might go with the 10s. Still considering this one though... Middle option is a no go for me.

It would be either 4-10's or the 9-80 schedule for me depending on the type of work. I would probably prefer the 9-80's with no info on the job type.

Your kid is out of the house... So I might go with the 10s. Still considering this one though... Middle option is a no go for me.
lol - I worked the middle schedule for 15 years. IT awesome.

4 9 hour days. 1 8 hour day
4 9 hour days 1 day off.

I haven't worked a normal 5-8 in probably 15 years.

I switched to 4-10s - about 2 months ago. SOme days that extra hour is forever

We currently do 4-9s and a four hour Friday. Being able to leave at noon on Friday, or get some work done in an empty office for a couple hours has been amazing.

That said, would kill for 4-10s.

10 hour days can be brutal and with the 2 hours of travel, 1/2 hour to get ready in AM, 1 hour or so for dinner & 1/2 hour lunch, that is 14 hours, which leaves you 2-3 hours to do anything else. I worked that nearly exact schedule for a Summer when I was 21 and while the 3-day weekend was nice, Monday-Thursday was a real grind and I got nothing else in but a workout. Felt like I missed out on half the Summer and my friends were all working during the day on Friday anyway, so all I did was sleep in and wait for Friday evening anyway.

I couldn't imagine that pace now that I'm middle aged.

10 hour days can be brutal and with the 2 hours of travel, 1/2 hour to get ready in AM, 1 hour or so for dinner & 1/2 hour lunch, that is 14 hours, which leaves you 2-3 hours to do anything else. I worked that nearly exact schedule for a Summer when I was 21 and while the 3-day weekend was nice, Monday-Thursday was a real grind and I got nothing else in but a workout. Felt like I missed out on half the Summer and my friends were all working during the day on Friday anyway, so all I did was sleep in and wait for Friday evening anyway.

True but you also save 100 hours of driving a year.

From the 5-8's plan. I'm voting for the 9/80 plan which is only 50 more hours of driving/year.

From the 5-8's plan. I'm voting for the 9/80 plan which is only 50 more hours of driving/year.
I do like 9/80 the best. If they make us go back to office full-time I'd probably switch back. Only doing "14s in your math" twice a week isn't bad

4 10s, and it’s not close. Honestly, if I could work 2 20s, I’d do that, but that’s not feasible in the trades

Voted as I did in the other pole. The commute time doesn't move the needle for me. No way I could stomach 4 10's.

I personally like the second option but that hour commute changes the dynamic. Even the straight 8s becomes 10x10, the 10 hour days becomes 8x12. Long days but a 3 day weekend every week plus the holidays gets you a full 10 hours off.
But you need to decide if you can go 10 hours productively.
I had an hour commute in law school so I set my schedule to be in as few days as possible. A few 12-14 hour days sucked but better than driving more. And that’s when gas was $1.

I don't care what the commute is. Give me the 3 day weekend EVERY weekend.

I already work 10+ hour days as it is.
Yup. You basically said my exact thoughts on this topic. The commute doesn’t matter to me. I personally don’t see or feel much of a difference between an 8 hour work day or a 10 hour work day. I’m physically and mentally tired after both. However, having 3 full days per week to re-energize and recharge is far more preferable than only having two. This doesn’t even take into account the benefits of the added flexibility of having an extra day off per week has.

Plus, with the longer commute, you get to save that time working one less day. Time you aren't getting paid for anyway.

None of the above

Between commute and assuming lunches, too much unproductive unpaid time to work for someone else.

When you look at it, it's 3+ months/yr worth of unpaid time.....

Way I looked at it almost 15 years ago and never again ever considered commuting to work.

So far............

we have had to come back a few more days. I now do

week1: M-W in office. Th WFH off friday
week2: M&W in office T&TH WFH off friday

There are some days when its brutal and some days it doesn't bother me... technically it's only one hour a day more than I had before.

But have weeks where I only work 3 days (Veterans day week and Thanksgiving)

I am considering switching back because when I get home at 6:30 it feels like 9 lol.....

If I have to come back to office full time not sure I can stay with the 4-10s.....

Then I'll have a busy week and it flies by......

I think in the end I just hate working lol

I do the 9-80 schedule and get every other Friday off. I like this quite a bit. It's a happy medium to the 10 hr days but still get a day off every other week.

Clients do 4 10s, but I do 5 8s. I wfh so it doesn’t really matter. Without the commute, it’s all good.

If you are not the type of person to do much with a three day weekend every weekend, I can see it. Some people would chill and do nothing two days instead of one on the weekend, so maybe the extra hours during the week are more valuable.

I'm an activities/travel guy, and a planner. I would make much use of a three day weekend every week. Oh my lord, would I......

If you are not the type of person to do much with a three day weekend every weekend, I can see it. Some people would chill and do nothing two days instead of one on the weekend, so maybe the extra hours during the week are more valuable.

I'm an activities/travel guy, and a planner. I would make much use of a three day weekend every week. Oh my lord, would I......
Well there is a reason that the number of golf rounds this year is almost triple of last year. ;)

I've done all 3 options. I like 9/80 the most. Currently, my schedule is (we are 75 hrs in a 2-week pay period, rather than 80):

1st week of pay period: M-W in office, Th WFH, Friday off
2nd week: Same as above but Friday in office 6:30-14:00.

I actually liked it when I had Mondays off instead of Fridays. It was easier to schedule things. Since most people that have a weekday off take Fridays, there were more available time slots for whatever I was trying to book. Plus, I liked extending my weekend rather than starting it early. And, Fridays are typically more lax around the office, and Mondays more hectic, so it was nice having those manic Mondays off. I've even done Wednesdays off. It was nice to break up the week, and to know that when I went in on Monday that I only had to do one more day before getting another day off.

Usually, the scheduling gods make it so that I get every Friday off in November because of Veteran's Day and the day after Thanksgiving.

If I had 75 hours I'd probably do

Wednesdays off and 7.5 on Fridays

OR

M-w 10s, th 7.5 off Friday
Off Monday t-th 10s Friday 7.5

The 4 day weekend would be sweet and the 7.5 would fly by

Well there is a reason that the number of golf rounds this year is almost triple of last year. ;)
Yep. I didn't elaborate above, but every Friday off would absolutely be amazing for my golf game because our club's largest cash game is Friday morning and a 3 day weekend would allow for more tournaments elsewhere.

I loved my 4-10s shift when I worked it. Having that weekday available for things like doctor's, DMV, grocery shopping, etc..., was incredible. I also worked 5am to 3pm which left plenty of family time in the evening (my kid was younger and went to bed around 7 each night). I've since moved on to a different company and into management that doesn't really allow me to have that schedule but I've given my team the 4-10s option and the ones who do it, love it.

I used to work the 9-80 schedule with a 45 minute commute each way, and I loved it because I'd use that biweekly Friday for doctor appts/bank errands/etc when you need to get someplace during business hours. They let a few departments test out a 4-10 schedule and I begged my coworkers to let us volunteer to be the testers but nobody else wanted to do 10 hours a day. It was a somewhat remote location, where everyone had a 45 min commute minimum (some had up to 1.5 hours), but I couldn't convince them that the one less day commuting was worth it. :shrug:

Fast forward two years, the entire site works 4-10's and all my old coworkers love it 😡

I actually liked it when I had Mondays off instead of Fridays.
I have always thought that. Everyone hates Mondays and loves Fridays. So why not take off the Monday because Friday is always easy to get through.
I've debated this a few times.....why I think I ultimately went Friday is

A) having the day at the "end" gives you something to look forward too

B) getting home late on a Friday stinks. Admittedly I haven't worked past 330 or at all on a Friday in 15 years so I'm biased 😆

B) getting home late on a Friday stinks. Admittedly I haven't worked past 330 or at all on a Friday in 15 years so I'm biased 😆
But usually Friday is a light day and rarely does it require a late work day because everyone else wants to get home too. (of course this depends on your line of work).

We work 9-80 and have for the last 5 years or so. Folks like it a lot. I work all off Fridays, so it's pretty transparent to me. I'd say the 4-10s is the best option; once you're at work might as well make it a long day and have the chance for a long weekend.

Last edited:
I'm the opposite here. I always work late on Fridays - getting home at 9 is typical. I get so much done - finally get left alone after folks leave at ~4. Best part of the week.

I don’t miss the days of being a field archaeologist. 10 days on (usually 14 hour days) and 4 days off.

I actually liked it when I had Mondays off instead of Fridays.
I have always thought that. Everyone hates Mondays and loves Fridays. So why not take off the Monday because Friday is always easy to get through.
I have one customer site that works 4-10's, but they alternate Mondays and Fridays as their day off so they get a 2 day weekend, then a 4 day weekend.
Yeah I mentioned this earlier, I'm considering doing this

I'd rather get in most days ~8, leave most days ~4, take a long lunch, login Sunday or in the evening to finish anything I don't get to while in the office, and WFH 1-2x per month.

I'm the opposite here. I always work late on Fridays - getting home at 9 is typical. I get so much done - finally get left alone after folks leave at ~4. Best part of the week.

You’ve talked a bunch over the years about how much you work. Are you in sales and/or get commissions? Working late on a Friday sounds miserable.

You’ve talked a bunch over the years about how much you work. Are you in sales and/or get commissions? Working late on a Friday sounds miserable.
While I agree with you in regards to what Sand has shared in the past, if I'm going to work late I agree that Friday is the optimum day as long as I didn't already have something scheduled. In both my current job and previous I don't see anyone but my team members after lunch Friday unless there's a meeting scheduled.

Maybe I'm weird. I like working late on Fridays. It gets enough done without interruption to not stress over the weekend. Getting in on Monday with 40 things undone is the suck.

And sadly, no, no commissions. I drag in a ton of work so would do very well if that was a thing. This year was the first year I got a bonus (same for everyone in my location), which was nice.

I do like what I do, but do wish there was a bit less of it.

While I agree with you in regards to what Sand has shared in the past, if I'm going to work late I agree that Friday is the optimum day as long as I didn't already have something scheduled. In both my current job and previous I don't see anyone but my team members after lunch Friday unless there's a meeting scheduled.

I guess with me being able to easily WFH I feel like I can work late any day I want and not be distracted by others. I realize not everyone has that opportunity but I get the sense you guys could so I guess I still don’t get why you guys would do that on a Friday. But I totally get having catch-up time with no distractions.

Maybe I'm weird. I like working late on Fridays. It gets enough done without interruption to not stress over the weekend. Getting in on Monday with 40 things undone is the suck.

And sadly, no, no commissions. I drag in a ton of work so would do very well if that was a thing. This year was the first year I got a bonus (same for everyone in my location), which was nice.

I do like what I do, but do wish there was a bit less of it.

Like I think many here do, I work in a job where the work is never done- I could work anywhere from 40-100 hours any given week. But there’s little upside for me or really the company in me working that much - I’d get burned out and wouldn’t be efficient during those extra hours. If you love it that’s great - but my advice to any one of any age is to try and get a work-life balance that works for you and hopefully makes you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread