What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are you watching? (1 Viewer)

cusefan115

Footballguy
What free agents, especially more unheralded ones, are you watching to see their landing spots in hopes of a possible breakout? I could see guys like James Casey and Delaney Walker having big jumps in production if they find the right landing spots.

QBs:

Matt Flynn - If he isn't traded then maybe he gets released. I would be interested to see where he goes. He is not an elite talent but he seems like a bright individual & working so many years with Aaron Rodgers I think he could be decent in the right kind of system.

Alex Smith - High profile pick who got a lot of attention for losing his job. If a trade doesn't happen he could still find himself getting a shot to be "the guy" in the short term for a number of middling teams. He isn't someone I would personally be trying to acquire but if I had him I would trade him on hype as soon as I saw where he was going. Unfortunately, if he goes to the Jets, you may not get ANYTHING for him. (Jets blast...)

RBs:

Blount - if he doesn't get tendered does he make sense in St. Louis with SJax possibly gone & with Jeff Fisher being the guy who first took a shot on him in Tennessee? I believe i remember hearing that the Titans regretted him getting away when they tried to sneak him to the practice squad.

Chris Ivory - I believe in his talent and even though he seems to get banged up a ton maybe he gets a shot somewhere else in 2013 to be part of a committee or win a job outright. New Orleans is cap strapped and may decide not to tender him as a Restricted FA

Dion Lewis - I realize he is not a FA but he could possibly be cut by the Eagles. Just looking at his skill set he seems like he would be a good fit in Philly now with Chip Kelly & that new offense but they are loaded with McCoy & Bryce Brown & even Chris Polk who has shown an ability to catch the ball well out of the backfield from his days in college.

Chris Polk - If Philly doesn't keep 4 RBs then I expect either Polk or Dion Lewis to be released & with their current value being total crap I think they could find ANY situation which would be better (possibly) than being stuck behind McCoy & Bryce Brown

Reggie Bush - This one is tough for me. He has been impressive each of his last 2 seasons but I'm not sure how much longer he will hold up. In the right kind of situation I think he can be exactly what he was in New Orleans. Change of pace with explosive ability to make plays. Again I wouldn't try to acquire him but if I had him I would lean towards trading him once I knew where he was headed. I personally don't think he is going to be viewed as the bell cow anymore regardless of where he goes. I believe their could be reports, however, that paint a different picture especially in the town where he ends up.

WR:

Wesley Welker - we shall see what happens here. If he leaves then Edelman is somebody that I will be interested to see if he can stay healthy and become THAT GUY to handle those same routes that Welker excelled with.

Mike Wallace - obviously he has the deep speed to be a threat with a non-noodle armed QB but I really don't like the inconsistency that he showed last year with his effort & his hands. Another player that I won't look to acquire but I see his value spiking once his final destination is determined so I would look to trade him away.

Greg Jennings - In Miami I think he would be a great fit but outside of that system there are a lot of questions with his health issues from last yr.

TEs:

James Casey - I love this guy & I think if he gets out of Houston his new team will love him too. I think his value is extremely dependent upon whether his new team values him as a moveable chess piece that they can use like Aaron Hernandez & they choose to use him similarly or whether they like him in an Evan Rodriguez/Charles Clay type role like the one he had last season. I think Casey has enough ability to be a real weapon in the right system but I'm not convinced he will ever get that shot. At 28 I believe most teams may not want to commit to him with the role that I hope he gets as this is a young mans game. I also think it is likely that he stays in Houston... one of his tweets after their loss in the playoffs suggest he wants to be back for another shot at it next yr. (no link... just go look at his timeline on Jan. 15 @jamescasey86 )

David Ausberry - I realize that HE is not a FA but the guy above him on the depth chart is Brandon Myers. Myers IS a FA & the cap strapped Raiders could decide to let him walk. At the beginning of the offseason last year it looked like it was going to be a 3 way battle for the top spot on the TE depth chart and Ausberry didn't win the job. It really depends on what role the Raiders want for their starting TE. If they want an athletic freak that can stretch the seams and create after the catch then Ausberry should see an increase in snaps and Myers may not be around.

Adrien Robinson - Another guy to watch if Martellus Bennett is allowed to leave without a contract in NY. I can see a scenario where the Giants spend more than they would like to spend to lock up Cruz and Nicks and then re-signing Bennett would be a challenge. Robinson has been described as the Jason Pierre-Paul of TEs by Jerry Reese. Either way I expect his value to climb.

James Hanna - Again I know he isn't a FA but if the Cowboys decide to move on from Miles Austin I believe Hanna could benefit by being on the field as a mismatch in the slot or split out wide at times. Dwayne Harris and Dez Bryant along with Witten and the athletic mismatches that I believe Hanna could provide makes Tony Romo a bounce back candidate for me, at least in the public perception of where I think people will rank him.

Taylor Thompson - With Jared Cook possibly leaving for another team I believe Thompson could be a sneaky play. He was raw last year but still played a fair amount of the time and was an effective blocker. Perhaps he develops into something more and perhaps not. Athleticism from a man that size is rare and if we are truly talking about ceilings if all goes right than he may be at the top of that list IF he becomes a focus of that offense. Probably a pipe dream with Locker as the QB but we shall see.

Delanie Walker - I like Walker quite a bit but I think he has 2 big things going against him... make that 3 things.

1.) I think the Niners resign him

2.) His hands are inconsistent at best

3.) He turns 29 in Aug. He can be productive but I think it lessens that probability that a new team will give him a shot to be "the guy" for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keller. HAS to be better anywhere else than with Sanchez. If Gonzo hangs it up, would be very interesting in Atl.

For unheralded... Austin Collie is a guy who I think might be available in a lot of leagues, and if he manages to land in the right spot could have some fantasy worth. Though concerned even a year might not be enough to fully recover from his injury.

Felix Jones. Maybe worth less than a nickle now, and could be on some waiver wires. I don't believe he'll change teams and become super valuable fantasy wise, but if/when it happens and some hype grows, could be a good time to sell.Peyton Hillis. Similar reasons as above, but feel he could go elsewhere and actually be somewhat fantasy worthy. Would still be looking to sell if the hype sets in.

For unheralded... Austin Collie is a guy who I think might be available in a lot of leagues, and if he manages to land in the right spot could have some fantasy worth. Though concerned even a year might not be enough to fully recover from his injury.
:goodposting: its possible he reunites with manning in Denver. I think he would be an upgrade over stokely even with the injury concerns

DHB - if he gets cut by the Raiders I think he could do better elsewhere. If he ends up on the Patriots to replace Lloyd he could put up high WR3 numbers, maybe even low WR2.

'ChrisCooleyFan said:
Would love to see the Redskins go after Casey
Me as well.I hope that we let Davis go, I don't think he's worth (to us especially) what he'll make, coming off injury. I hope we pick up James Casey on the cheap in FA. Seems like our kind of guy. Has improved every year, playing multiple positions and is a great guy. Good hands, good versatility. Can play TE or come out of the backfield, which is useful in our scheme. I think the multiple roles he can fill, at a dirt-cheap price, is more cost-effective than paying Davis as a top-ten or even top-15 TE.Casey isn't a stud, but he fits what we do, can move around on offense and play multiple positions, and is the kind of guy we seem to go after. He's not a great blocker, but then neither is Davis. I think TE is a position we can skimp on in this offense, and Casey fits that bill while also being able to back up at FB.

'ChrisCooleyFan said:
Would love to see the Redskins go after Casey
Me as well.I hope that we let Davis go, I don't think he's worth (to us especially) what he'll make, coming off injury. I hope we pick up James Casey on the cheap in FA. Seems like our kind of guy. Has improved every year, playing multiple positions and is a great guy. Good hands, good versatility. Can play TE or come out of the backfield, which is useful in our scheme. I think the multiple roles he can fill, at a dirt-cheap price, is more cost-effective than paying Davis as a top-ten or even top-15 TE.Casey isn't a stud, but he fits what we do, can move around on offense and play multiple positions, and is the kind of guy we seem to go after. He's not a great blocker, but then neither is Davis. I think TE is a position we can skimp on in this offense, and Casey fits that bill while also being able to back up at FB.
Also interesting connection with baby shanahan iirc

There's definitely some interesting names in this thread. What do people see happening with Kevin Smith?

DeAngelo, Blount, Ivory, and Woodhead are guys I have tried to get in as many leagues as I can.
In a dynasty format I'm really liking Ivory over the others. I think he's going to be a player. Has always shown well. Heck if he were to get 250 carries, I think his numbers could fall right in line with his career totals.252 for 1307, 8 touchdowns. I think those are reasonable numbers with a true starting gig. He's probably have a shot to start about 10 different teams. Detroit is intriguing, along with Green Bay. If he could garner the carries in a decent offense, I could see some serious upside. If he's caught in a quagmire, I think you could reasonable expect him to get 100 carries or so.

DeAngelo, Blount, Ivory, and Woodhead are guys I have tried to get in as many leagues as I can.
In a dynasty format I'm really liking Ivory over the others. I think he's going to be a player. Has always shown well. Heck if he were to get 250 carries, I think his numbers could fall right in line with his career totals.252 for 1307, 8 touchdowns. I think those are reasonable numbers with a true starting gig. He's probably have a shot to start about 10 different teams. Detroit is intriguing, along with Green Bay. If he could garner the carries in a decent offense, I could see some serious upside. If he's caught in a quagmire, I think you could reasonable expect him to get 100 carries or so.
Love Ivory as a runner and own him in several leagues -- I doubt he will end up in a situation that would enable him to get 250 carries, let alone the possibility that he won't get dinged up. He also has pass-protection issues and won't give you much, if anything, in the passing game. He's a guy that I envision being much more valuable to an NFL team than a fantasy team. While I love watching and rooting for him, once he moves onto a new team I won't be shy about dangling him to someone that believes him as a breakout candidate.

Love Ivory as a runner and own him in several leagues -- I doubt he will end up in a situation that would enable him to get 250 carries, let alone the possibility that he won't get dinged up. He also has pass-protection issues and won't give you much, if anything, in the passing game. He's a guy that I envision being much more valuable to an NFL team than a fantasy team. While I love watching and rooting for him, once he moves onto a new team I won't be shy about dangling him to someone that believes him as a breakout candidate.
Do you guys think he actually makes it to a new team? He's only a restricted fa and the market for running backs seems pretty poor.

Do you guys think he actually makes it to a new team? He's only a restricted fa and the market for running backs seems pretty poor.
Saints message boards seem to believe he won't get tendered. They would need to tender him at the second-round value (apx. $2M/season) to ensure he doesn't get signed away from them. For a team that is not in great shape with the salary cap, that is a pretty big number to place on your RB4 that only got 40 carries last year.

Saints message boards seem to believe he won't get tendered. They would need to tender him at the second-round value (apx. $2M/season) to ensure he doesn't get signed away from them. For a team that is not in great shape with the salary cap, that is a pretty big number to place on your RB4 that only got 40 carries last year.
Cool. That works for me. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I think St. Louis would be an interesting fit. He'd be a nice complement to Pead/Richardson.

Probably not.

There's definitely some interesting names in this thread. What do people see happening with Kevin Smith?
I think he's shown enough to warrant a sniff around the league.
He definitely strikes me as the type of player that is a 1 in a 100 shot to be a top 10-15 RB in fantasy this year somehow. Worth a stash if you can fit him right up until the first waiver period for your league. I always wondered why he was pretty much benched in Detroit this past year. Unless he had some injury I didnt know about.

TE Evan Rodriguez... I realize he isn't a FA but Chicago has been floated as a team to be in the market for a FA tight end this offseason. I believe their interest in pursuing or not pursuing a TE could be an indication that they like the potential that Evan Rodriguez could give them.

Bears Eye a Fullback Role

If they do decide to get a traditional FB does that mean that Rodriguez becomes that moveable chess piece at TE to move around the formation? I think it is definitely something to keep an eye on given some of the things written in this article and studying some of what Trestman ran in the CFL. Maybe Rodriguez is somebody they see fitting into a similar role to an Aaron Hernandez. Im not saying he is that same kind of talent necessarily but his skill set is intriguing.

Greg Jennings is a guy who could find himself back in the top 10 in the right situation. Miami, Seattle, St. Louis and Minnesota make a lot of sense because they don't have many targets (especially is Harvin is gone). Of the three I like Seattle the best because Wilson is pretty ####### good already. But the other two seem like good destination as well because of the dearth of targets in each spot. He'd be brought in at the top of any of those depth charts.

Greg Jennings is a guy who could find himself back in the top 10 in the right situation. Miami, Seattle, St. Louis and Minnesota make a lot of sense because they don't have many targets (especially is Harvin is gone). Of the three I like Seattle the best because Wilson is pretty ####### good already. But the other two seem like good destination as well because of the dearth of targets in each spot. He'd be brought in at the top of any of those depth charts.
I love Jennings right now. His value is low based on the concerns about his age (like Wayne I think he'll play well until he's 35) and where he'll end up. Anywhere he signs he's going to be the #1 option and should get at least as many targets as he did in GB.

Although not himself a free agent, one person I'm watching closely is Emmanual Sanders. It looks very likely that Wallace does not return to the Steelers, and Sanders is the most likely person to benefit. His dynasty owners aren't going to give him away, because they are likely thinking the same thing, but his price is certainly lower now than it will be when Wallace leaves.On the same team, Mendenhall is also interesting. There are several teams that desperately need a back to handle the full load (or at least the lead share in a committee). Ideally, with the Steelers going to a ZBS, I would rather he stay there for fantasy purposes, but that doesn't look like it will be the case.

Chris Ivory - RB - Saints

Saints extended restricted free agent RB Chris Ivory a second-round tender.

It's a shame. Barring an unlikely trade, the Saints will hold Ivory hostage for a fifth season. Although Ivory has annually outperformed Mark Ingram whenever healthy, Ivory's draft status has continually kept him lower on the depth chart than the 2011 first-round pick. Ivory remains a "hold" in dynasty leagues. He's 25 years old and should hit unrestricted free agency in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread