What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Brandon Bolden (2 Viewers)

What a headache this is. Ridley is guaranteed some amount of touches per week where Woodhead and Bolden's carries will likely fluctuate depending on the game state (no huddle vs. grinding). Throw in a little bit of Vereen who's more versatile than any one of these RBs and you have a fantasy situation to avoid.
:goodposting: Sold Ridley for McFadden this week. Too much uncertainty on who will get the majority of touches each week. Great for the Pats to have that depth but horrible for Fantasy owners.
This is simply not true. I think by the end of the season we'll look back at Baltimore as the aberration. I doubt we will see another game where Ridley is so astonishingly uninvolved. The only really annoying bit in this for Ridley owners is that he won't be getting 100% of he GL work with Bolden emerging but otherwise this is exactly what I signed up for.

(To put it in perspective, if Ridley had Boldens 2 TDs he'd have 69 FP and be tied for RB3.)
Okay, but he doesn't, and since Belichick isn't likely to give any one RB most of the touches on a weekly basis, this is just something us Ridley owners will have to put up with. But I won't complain it since I knew what I was getting myself into when I took a NE RB.
You're allowing your perception to obscure reality. Ridley has led the team in carries by a not insignificant margin in every game but Baltimore in which case it was a near even split his 13 to Woodheads 15 (not coincidently this was Pats worst rushing performance of the year by far). Outside of that game he's averaged 20 carries a game which is right where I expected him to be. Again the lost opps at the GL are only unexpected hiccup and even with them he's rb8. People selling are doing a facile drive by analysis. Dig deeper. :thumbup:

ETA:

Link to Pats ytd game logs

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-nwe-4.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't explain why the Bills defense haven't shown up in those two division games, notably the line, but to dismiss the raw talent would be a mistake.

Bolden FBG rank among likely/possible week 4 unrostered players below:

Battle

Draughn

Hunter

Bilal Powell

Redman

Just above:

Hillman

Gerhart

DRichardson

Royster

Tolbert

Casey

Ingram

Turbin

WPowell

Miller

Ball

Pierce

Surprising?

I can't explain why the Bills defense haven't shown up in those two division games, notably the line, but to dismiss the raw talent would be a mistake.
I think he passes the eye test for me. Picked him up after bailing on the Arizona backfield. If he is a no-show this week then on to the next lottery ticket.

I think he passes the eye test for me. Picked him up after bailing on the Arizona backfield. If he is a no-show this week then on to the next lottery ticket.
Who, Bolden? He's Law firm redux, whether he takes over that role this year, next year, or sometime in the future - I don't know. He will though.

What's Bolden worth today in a rookie draft? #10-15 seem about right? 15-20?
I just got offered and accepted a trade in a 12-teamer where I got Bolden for my 2013 2nd. My team is 1-3 but 5th in points overall, so it's a bit hard to say where that pick will be

Interesting blurb from KFFL...

New England Patriots RB Stevan Ridley has fumbled in back-to-back games and four times in his last 118 touches going back to last season, covering seven games. "It's the highest priority with everybody," head coach Bill Belichick said. "There's nothing more important than possession of the ball. We can't afford to lose it; it's just as simple as that." Ridley didn't see another carry after fumbling late in the team's Week 5 win over the Denver Broncos.

Interesting blurb from KFFL...

New England Patriots RB Stevan Ridley has fumbled in back-to-back games and four times in his last 118 touches going back to last season, covering seven games. "It's the highest priority with everybody," head coach Bill Belichick said. "There's nothing more important than possession of the ball. We can't afford to lose it; it's just as simple as that." Ridley didn't see another carry after fumbling late in the team's Week 5 win over the Denver Broncos.
Not only did he not see another carry, I don't think he even had his helmet on the rest of the game.

Is Bolden expected to take more snaps with the 1st team in practice this week? I think I read somewhere he has had fumbling issues of his own.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston gives Patriots RB Brandon Bolden a 60 percent chance of keeping his roster spot.
Bolden would almost certainly stick if the decision was just about production, but he's nursing a foot injury and coming off a rookie season where he was suspended four games for violating the league's PED policy. Bolden is ostensibly competing with supposed power back LeGarrette Blount, who was not impressive the past two seasons in Tampa Bay. We'd ultimately expect Bolden to keep his roster spot for a team that's going to have to run more in 2013.

Source: ESPN Boston

Coach speak to some extent, but still interesting...

Of the three players projected to be the top contributors at the position, Bolden is the biggest unknown. As an undrafted rookie, Bolden had a 137-yard game against Buffalo early in the season, but then a knee injury followed immediately by his four-game suspension for performance-enhancing substances caused him to miss six weeks.By the time he was ready to return, Fears said, he liked what he was getting from Ridley and Vereen and didn’t want to shake things up.

It’s easy to tell, however, that Fears likes what he’s seen from the 23-year-old Bolden.

“Right now he’s doing well. He had a great day [sunday], running the ball and doing some things, catching the ball and doing everything, so yeah, we’re hoping he’s going to get back into that picture,” Fears said.

I’m expecting him to get back into that picture. He looks like he’s a very, very talented player.

just looking back at this thread reminds me of the fumbling problems ridley had early on. one fumble in this next jets game could spell trouble for him and open up an opportunity for bolden or blount.

What are his receiving skills like?
Bolden was an effective receiver at Ole Miss. As a Junior, Bolden rushed for 976 yards, caught 32 passes for 344 yards and scored 17 touchdowns, tying Deuce McAllister for the most in school history.

While Bolden is not going to remind anyone of Danny Woodhead, I think Bolden could be effective filling in for Vereen.

What are his receiving skills like?
Bolden was an effective receiver at Ole Miss. As a Junior, Bolden rushed for 976 yards, caught 32 passes for 344 yards and scored 17 touchdowns, tying Deuce McAllister for the most in school history.

While Bolden is not going to remind anyone of Danny Woodhead, I think Bolden could be effective filling in for Vereen.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Does anyone have any info on the severity of boldens knee?

If this guy is active in a game soon I have a sneaking suspicion he will be flex worthy in the vereen role. Is he worth a pickup?

If this guy is active in a game soon I have a sneaking suspicion he will be flex worthy in the vereen role. Is he worth a pickup?
If healthy he is definitely worth a pick-up...Vereen is out until around week 11, Blount looks like just-another-guy and Ridley is currently struggling...Bolden has usually looked good when given a chance...the issue is his health...maybe I am missing it but locally I have heard zero about his status...

No. Seriously, it's hard to get a read on injuries for most teams, damn near impossible with the Pats. It sucks, but it is what it is.

No. Seriously, it's hard to get a read on injuries for most teams, damn near impossible with the Pats. It sucks, but it is what it is.
I would hope we will know something based on practice reports later today, but humpback is right on.

Sucks..I think I'm going to just pick him up as a stash for a week or 2 and see what gives. After he gets activated and the pats feature him a bit it will be too late.

Bolden (knee) was limited at practice Wednesday, the Patriots'

Posted 17 hrs 32 mins ago via rotowire.com

Brandon Bolden

Bolden (knee) was limited at practice Wednesday, the Patriots' official site reports.

Brandon Bolden

Bolden (knee) was limited at practice Wednesday, the Patriots' official site reports.
Thanks cstu. It looks as though we may have to wait another week before we get to see Bolden. I for one am excited to see what Bolden can do. Let's face it, right now, Brady does not have a competent receiving group, Ridley has been less than stellar, and he has not caught a pass out of the backfield since before the Patriots mid-season bye last season (and if I recall correctly, Ridley has only 9 career receptions), and with Vereen out for an extended period, there is a need for a back who can be used as an outlet receiver. Bolden not only fits the bill, but he can also run inside effectively, showed some good burst before his injury, and could be utilized much like Aaron Hernandez was in previous seasons.

Brandon Bolden

Thanks cstu. It looks as though we may have to wait another week before we get to see Bolden. I for one am excited to see what Bolden can do. Let's face it, right now, Brady does not have a competent receiving group, Ridley has been less than stellar, and he has not caught a pass out of the backfield since before the Patriots mid-season bye last season (and if I recall correctly, Ridley has only 9 career receptions), and with Vereen out for an extended period, there is a need for a back who can be used as an outlet receiver. Bolden not only fits the bill, but he can also run inside effectively, showed some good burst before his injury, and could be utilized much like Aaron Hernandez was in previous seasons.
I picked up Bolden and am very bullish on his prospects. The part that I don't get though is he is being billed a nice subsitute out of the backfield or in the Vereen role. But Bolden has 2 career receptions.

Brandon Bolden

I picked up Bolden and am very bullish on his prospects. The part that I don't get though is he is being billed a nice subsitute out of the backfield or in the Vereen role. But Bolden has 2 career receptions.
While he has not been utilized in a receiving role (or any meaningful role, for that matter) yet by the Pats, Bolden displayed soft hands and an aptitude for route running in college at Ole Miss (76 career receptions), where he was a decent all-purpose back.

Brandon Bolden

While he has not been utilized in a receiving role (or any meaningful role, for that matter) yet by the Pats, Bolden displayed soft hands and an aptitude for route running in college at Ole Miss (76 career receptions), where he was a decent all-purpose back.
Yep. Let's not forget, Vereen had 8 career receptions coming into this season. They have both been behind Woodhead in that role.

Brandon Bolden

Yep. Let's not forget, Vereen had 8 career receptions coming into this season. They have both been behind Woodhead in that role.
Well Vereen did have those games vs the Jets and the Texans, at least we saw something.

Still, between Bell, Ellington and McGahee, I'd say Bolden belongs right in the conversation as to prospective grabs. Just have towait to hear when he's practicing, when he might play.... what's actually wrong him, does he have a pulse, you know usual Pats.

As a junior, he had over 300 receiving yards. As a senior, he had almost 150. He's only had two receptions in the NFL because Vereen is ahead of him, and when he has been healthy, he has replaced Ridley, not Vereen.

As a junior, he had over 300 receiving yards. As a senior, he had almost 150. He's only had two receptions in the NFL because Vereen is ahead of him, and when he has been healthy, he has replaced Ridley, not Vereen.
Fair enough, I've just always felt like Ridley, Blount and Bolden fit the same mold where as Vereen and Washington (much like Woodhead/Faulk) were obvious pass catchers. Maybe it's not that black and white. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

We will see - hopefully he takes the passing back role while Vereen is out, and runs with it.

If he has the ability to run and be a pass receiver, then he has even more value.

He's definitely a good add for the middle part of the season.

Mike Reiss speculated the signing of Washington a couple weeks ago was to cover for Bolden as the primary backup to Vereen. Seems logical to assume Bolden is taking that role today. Very close to putting him in over Quizz myself.

Fair enough, I've just always felt like Ridley, Blount and Bolden fit the same mold where as Vereen and Washington (much like Woodhead/Faulk) were obvious pass catchers. Maybe it's not that black and white. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
He's more of a Pierre Thomas type that can do both, where the others are closer to Ingram/Sproles (not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea).

Repicked him up. Tried to be cute since my bench isn't deep. As a Ridley owner, I need him now that he's active.

Users who are viewing this thread