What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people refer to their favorite sports team as "us" (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
Nobody says 'us' when talking about Tiger Woods or Boris Becker which I figure is because it's not a team. but how about when it's a team like mixed doubles or tandem bike racing do people refer that as 'us'? I figure that there is a tipping point where the team must be more than 5 people for people to star using the 'us' thing.

How about Nascar, there is a team of like 50 guys but only one actual driver. Or something like Tour de France when there is a team of a like 20 guys biking up a bunch of hills but only one lead dog.

How many players would a team have to field to constitute a "us" rule??

Last edited by a moderator:
but don't use 'us' when discussing their favorite band. Most people who are into music are just as vested in their favorite band as their favorite basketball team
Bands didn't evolve as a surrogate for localized tribal combat. We're hardwired to believe we have a vested interest in the outcome of contests between our village and other villages.

but don't use 'us' when discussing their favorite band. Most people who are into music are just as vested in their favorite band as their favorite basketball team

How about the Ryder or the Davis cup, individual sport in a team setting??

Nobody says 'us' when talking about Tiger Woods or Boris Becker which I figure is because it's not a team. but how about when it's a team like mixed doubles or tandem bike racing do people refer that as 'us'? I figure that there is a tipping point where the team must be more than 5 people for people to star using the 'us' thing.

How about Nascar, there is a team of like 50 guys but only one actual driver. Or something like Tour de France when there is a team of a like 20 guys biking up a bunch of hills but only one lead dog.

Fin already has this covered, guy.

Fin already has this covered, guy.
That thread was "we" this thread is "us." Apples and Oranges, baby!

Just easier to speak out loud rather than saying over and over again, "the team for which I root, the Dallas Cowboys, had some challenges against Washington," etc.

To give a serious answer, probably a need for identity with something other than job, church, family etc

To give a serious answer, probably a need for identity with something other than job, church, family etc
For some people yes.

For me, real simple. Easier to say in the flow of a convo. It's as simple as that.

If someone really believes they are actually part of the team, they need serious therapy, and likely meds.

When you talk about your high school team do you call it by name or say "we?" How about when we talk about our military attacking Iraq? Do you say "we invaded Iraq" or do you say, " the U.S. military invaded Iraq?"

It's easier to say, and most of us live in the state where our team plays, so there is a connection there.

For some people yes.

For me, real simple. Easier to say in the flow of a convo. It's as simple as that.

If someone really believes they are actually part of the team, they need serious therapy, and likely meds.
they is that much harder to get out during a conversation than we?

For some people yes.

they is that much harder to get out during a conversation than we?
They could refer to a heck of a lot more things than we. Simple. Get over it.

It's all about the context of the conversation.

As I said, its more pathetic to even care that someone does it in this sense.

Users who are viewing this thread