What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do we care about the future (other than kids)? (1 Viewer)

joffer

Footballguy
I’m saying strictly speaking other than creating or providing or sustaining a world for our children, is there something that drives us to create a better future than our current situation.

Unless you plan on dying this second, then you have a vested personal interest in "the future"

Not trying to be a smart-@$$.  The world is made up of lots of people.  And they each have different visions of how much longer their "present" will last.  As such, I think you implicit premise is flawed because I see only a modicum of effort being exerted to make OTHER people's future better.

Posterity, our part in life's progress, is huge when belief in a god isn't part of your life.That's why we invented him in the first place - to have someone to thank & blame. I do not need to know why before all is said & done, but i have enormous respect for whatever got me here and feel it idiotic and defeating not to attempt some part in continuing the miracle.

The course you & i are on is 4.5 billion, if not 13 billion, years long. Some of the innovations in our evolution took a billion years to take hold. As the apparent culmination of all earthly progress, God's divine plan or both, especially one lucky enough to be brought into the process after survival wasn't an all-consuming struggle, how can a human not feel a responsibility to appreciate & employ one's instrument to leave it better than one found it?

The most "Ok Boomer" thread title. 😀

Would so there is a nice planet for Labrador Retrievers to play on work if we cannot use kids? I don't want my grandkids growing up in some Mad Max like world, or their kids, or other peoples kids if you do not have kids. I feel like removing future people (aka kids) from the equation makes it somewhat meaningless, I guess if the planet would be empty, who cares?

The most "Ok Boomer" thread title. 😀

Would so there is a nice planet for Labrador Retrievers to play on work if we cannot use kids? I don't want my grandkids growing up in some Mad Max like world, or their kids, or other peoples kids if you do not have kids. I feel like removing future people (aka kids) from the equation makes it somewhat meaningless, I guess if the planet would be empty, who cares?
I think his post was assuming kids are a given. 

Typical millennial answer...emotions first.

Forget "the kids." The golden rule should rule the day. If you cannot at least abide by the golden rule, then you have failed the acid test and are a stain on the universe.

Somewhat paradoxically, not having children is probably the best thing most people can do to preserve the earth. But I agree with others that we owe it to our fellow man to try not to trash our only planet.

I’m saying strictly speaking other than creating or providing or sustaining a world for our children, is there something that drives us to create a better future than our current situation.
A better future is simply BETTER ........... better for you and me now, and for everyone later. There are no negatives to being a better anything

I think it's the golden rule principle.  The idea that I want to live in a society where everyone is looking out for each other. 

A society is best where that's the norm, and not just folks looking out for themselves.

Since I want to live in that type of society, because it's personally more beneficial for me to live in that type of society than in one that's obstensibly self-focused, then I'll overcome my self-focus and try to work toward making a society better for others.

Doing that, inevitably will make me want to do my best for the future generations, because I would have wanted those who came before me to do that for me.

We all want three things when we're dying.  We want to be forgiven.  We want to know that we didn't waste our time here on Earth.  And we want to be remembered.

If there's no future, no one will remember us.

We all want three things when we're dying.  We want to be forgiven.  We want to know that we didn't waste our time here on Earth.  And we want to be remembered.

If there's no future, no one will remember us.
I really only want to enjoy my time living, and add to the enjoyment of those I love. 

Don’t care about being forgiven or remembered. 

Users who are viewing this thread