What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does God hate Hawaii so much? Two hurricanes back to back? (1 Viewer)

joseph80

Footballguy
Holy ####. I'm not sure that I ever remember hearing of a hurricane hitting hawaii. i assume its not that rare, but I just can't remember the last time hearing about it.

Now, 2 of them back to back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy ####. I'm not sure that I ever remember hearing of a hurricane hitting hawaii. i assume its not that rare, but I just can't remember the last time hearing about it.

Now, 2 of them back to back?
you had to pull that quote from somewhere? seems strange.

But gl, Hawaii... I've got some family there.

Hurricanes in Hawaii are rare, but not unheard of. They happen from time to time.

One thing that forecasters haven't mentioned a lot of are that it's very rare for two storms to hit. The reason is that hurricanes churn up the water so much as they pass through it, that they pull the much colder water from the bottom up to the surface. Any system that follows directly behind it will run over this colder water, and cold water will kill a hurricane.

So even if the first one holds together and hits the island, it's almost a guarantee that the second one will fall apart and end up just being a tropical wave with some rain and wind.

We were almost on the runway last night when the plane broke. Then during the tow back to the gate, the power went out. There were these loud clunky sounds coming from the wing area (I think) every now and then, as they tried to fix whatever it was. But they couldn't fix the thing (didn't have the part we were told) so we de-boarded and blah, blah, blah. Nightmare. They let 1st class off immediately and told the rest of us to stay put. Then they slowly started letting certain rows go, expecting the rest of us to stay IN THE ####### PLANE INSTEAD OF THE AIRPORT. So ridiculous. I just got up and left.

Anyway, supposed to get back on the same plane here in a few hours. So just sitting here, bored.

All other flights are booked because people are scrambling to get off the island(s). Gas lines were piled up late into the night and I hear people have been stocking up all over the place, taking everything off the shelves. Overreaction in full effect, although I haven't really followed any reports.

Oh, and some Russian billionaire is here with his super model and $300 million dollar yacht ship. 396 feet. Trying to avoid the hurricanes, maybe? Yesterday, they came to shore right next to me at my favorite spot and it took 6 deckhands to set up a nicer cabana than any I've ever seen in Vegas. The lovely couple took two boats to get to shore. :lmao: They had to take this really nice, stylish, retro one first. Then they offloaded to their zodiac so they could pull up to shore without getting wet.

Here's the ship named "A". Gnarly. Looks like a sub. Yep, I'm bored alright...

We were almost on the runway last night when the plane broke. Then during the tow back to the gate, the power went out. There were these loud clunky sounds coming from the wing area (I think) every now and then, as they tried to fix whatever it was. But they couldn't fix the thing (didn't have the part we were told) so we de-boarded and blah, blah, blah. Nightmare. They let 1st class off immediately and told the rest of us to stay put. Then they slowly started letting certain rows go, expecting the rest of us to stay IN THE ####### PLANE INSTEAD OF THE AIRPORT. So ridiculous. I just got up and left.

Anyway, supposed to get back on the same plane here in a few hours. So just sitting here, bored.

All other flights are booked because people are scrambling to get off the island(s). Gas lines were piled up late into the night and I hear people have been stocking up all over the place, taking everything off the shelves. Overreaction in full effect, although I haven't really followed any reports.

Oh, and some Russian billionaire is here with his super model and $300 million dollar yacht ship. 396 feet. Trying to avoid the hurricanes, maybe? Yesterday, they came to shore right next to me at my favorite spot and it took 6 deckhands to set up a nicer cabana than any I've ever seen in Vegas. The lovely couple took two boats to get to shore. :lmao: They had to take this really nice, stylish, retro one first. Then they offloaded to their zodiac so they could pull up to shore without getting wet.

Here's the ship named "A". Gnarly. Looks like a sub. Yep, I'm bored alright...
Looks like it belongs to a James Bond villain.

Looks like the models are saying that the main island could see anywhere from 1 to 2 feet of rain. FEET!! That's crazy!

I lived in Houston when TS Allison hit and dumped over 2 feet of rain. I can't imagine it would be any better in Hawaii on volcanic rock. They say some areas that average less than a half an inch a year are in this deluge path.

Interesting and crazy fact I heard today:

Mount Waiʻaleʻale, on the island of Kauai, is notable for its extreme rainfall, as it has the second highest average annual rainfall on Earth, with 460 inches.

460 inches of rain per year!!

:eek:

To put that in perspective, Hawaii as a state averages about 63 inches a year, the highest average in the US....Nevada has the lowest average at 9.5 inches per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was the rainiest spot on earth. That's what people are often told. Where's there more rain?

It's the same latitude as the Sahara Desert, btw. Trippy. :tebow: trade winds.

Another weird fact is Hawaii is home to the tallest mountain on earth.

Mount Waiʻaleʻale, on the island of Kauai, is notable for its extreme rainfall, as it has the second highest average annual rainfall on Earth, with 460 inches.

To put that in perspective, Hawaii as a state averages about 63 inches a year, the highest average in the US....Nevada has the lowest average at 9.5 inches per year.
I average about 9.5 inches too.

I thought it was the rainiest spot on earth. That's what people are often told. Where's there more rain?

It's the same latitude as the Sahara Desert, btw. Trippy. :tebow: trade winds.

Another weird fact is Hawaii is home to the tallest mountain on earth.
Too bad it is mostly under water. Makes the skiing kind of difficult.

Well, the record still stands: No hurricane has ever made landfall on the big island. It was downgraded to a Tropical Storm just hours before landfall.

The other tropical system will most likely fall to a TS as well, but no matter what, is headed north of the islands.

Well, the record still stands: No hurricane has ever made landfall on the big island. It was downgraded to a Tropical Storm just hours before landfall.

The other tropical system will most likely fall to a TS as well, but no matter what, is headed north of the islands.
Sounds fishy.

Flew into Wai'ale'ale in a helicopter once. One of the most surreal places I can imagine. Bizarre to be sweating my ### off in the sun on the coast one minute and then be in the rainiest spot on earth with no sunlight to speak of, the next minute.

Users who are viewing this thread