What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Lovie Smith considered a "bad" coach? (1 Viewer)

I don't follow the Bears at all. I know that he took over a team that was mostly bad for the previous decade, got them into the playoffs in year 2 and to the Super Bowl in year 3. Mostly average results with subpar QBs since then. What does he do that makes Bears fans want to get rid of him?

I don't follow the Bears at all. I know that he took over a team that was mostly bad for the previous decade, got them into the playoffs in year 2 and to the Super Bowl in year 3. Mostly average results with subpar QBs since then. What does he do that makes Bears fans want to get rid of him?
I'm not a Bears fan, but when the best endorsement you can make is that he's better than what the Bears had before, that's not saying much. I've never gotten the impression that there was much value he added to the team. I guess he's generally a stabilizing personality at the helm and he's got a decent defensive scheme, but I don't really sense a direction with him. Maybe Martz and Cutler will form a deadly duo, but in terms of what Lovie contributes personally . . . :lmao:

He's much better at managing the defense. I never saw him one time on camera when the offense was on the field. Looked like it was Martz and Tice all over the place. Lovie might have been talking to his defense the whole time I don't know...it's working right now but Lovie Smith is a better DC, in fact he's a great DC, but I would say mediocre HC.

They have 4 head coaches on that team...Lovie, Martz, Tice, and Marinelli

He's much better at managing the defense. I never saw him one time on camera when the offense was on the field. Looked like it was Martz and Tice all over the place. Lovie might have been talking to his defense the whole time I don't know...it's working right now but Lovie Smith is a better DC, in fact he's a great DC, but I would say mediocre HC. They have 4 head coaches on that team...Lovie, Martz, Tice, and Marinelli
You know who else has a lot of head coaches as coordinators? Another 3-0 team, the Chiefs.Seems like a good formula for success to add failed head coaches. They usually got there because they were great coordinators and/or position coaches, but failed for a variety of reasons. Settling back into a role where they can focus on the X's & O's of their specific side of the ball while having that overall view experience has to be a huge advantage over the average coaching staff.

He's much better at managing the defense. I never saw him one time on camera when the offense was on the field. Looked like it was Martz and Tice all over the place. Lovie might have been talking to his defense the whole time I don't know...it's working right now but Lovie Smith is a better DC, in fact he's a great DC, but I would say mediocre HC. They have 4 head coaches on that team...Lovie, Martz, Tice, and Marinelli
You know who else has a lot of head coaches as coordinators? Another 3-0 team, the Chiefs.Seems like a good formula for success to add failed head coaches. They usually got there because they were great coordinators and/or position coaches, but failed for a variety of reasons. Settling back into a role where they can focus on the X's & O's of their specific side of the ball while having that overall view experience has to be a huge advantage over the average coaching staff.
Yeah, I don't see how having an experienced staff is a bad thing. The issue for me is that Lovie is just average as a head coach. He's a step above Chan Gailey and Wade Phillips and John Fox, two steps above Tom Cable, and a step below Tomlin, a couple below Belichick, etc. I don't dislike him, but his bland personality is precisely in line with his very nondescript head coaching skills. He's just average.

Yeah, I don't see how having an experienced staff is a bad thing. The issue for me is that Lovie is just average as a head coach. He's a step above Chan Gailey and Wade Phillips and John Fox, two steps above Tom Cable, and a step below Tomlin, a couple below Belichick, etc. I don't dislike him, but his bland personality is precisely in line with his very nondescript head coaching skills. He's just average.
What type of in-game decisions does he make that scream average HC to you?

because he makes bad decisions (like last night).
If you're referring to going for it on 4th down, you're wrong.
Does he stand out as an above-average game manager to you? He's pretty non-descript to me. I have nothing bad to say, but nothing good either. (Andy Reid, for example, I criticize all the time because of his terrible clock management and his ridiculously pass-heavy play calling; Jason Garrett too for too much passing.) Frankly, Lovie doesn't stand out as much of anything except for the fact that his Bears teams tend to play solid defense, at least when Urlacher's healthy, but then that's done with his defensive coordinator hat on - Pete Carroll was much the same way a decade ago during his last NFL head coaching stint. My issues with him are macro issues - what direction does he give his team? What is their goal as a team? Is it clear? I don't get that sense with him.

I think a lot of us Bears fans credit Rivera for what happened in 05' and 06' more than Lovie. Since he's been gone, the defense has been subpar. The team hasn't played fundamentally sound and has had problems tackling since he left. Bringing in Babich and sticking by him as long as he did was terrible. It's kind of characteristic of his overall stubbornness, like sticking by Grossman as long as he did. Or Ron Turner. They might have a Superbowl title had Griese been started sooner. And no, I really don't think he's a great defensive coordinator either. He took over those responsibilities last year, and it was the worst the defense has played since he got here. Some of that was injuries, like with Urlacher, but whenever a team plays as bad as they did on defense last year, that falls on the coordinator as well. They gave up like 35 points in the first half against the Bengals last year. It was bad.

He's terrible at making adjustments. He's terrible at managing the game clock. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff.

The fact that Lovie makes a lot of the same bone headed game management decisions that some other coaches make notwithstanding, his main flaw is his decisions regarding coaches and players.

After his contract extension in 2007, he gained the authority to have the last word on players and coaches. So players and team performance is squarely on his shoulders. Here's a few of his gems...

- Not retaining Ron Rivera as DC after the SB, because of a difference in opinion in defensive strategy. Result: the Bears D has been teh suck the last several years.

- Caving to Devin Hester's contract demands and converting him to WR; neutering the best return guy in NFL history.

- Taking over play calling of the Defense last year and resistance to change in modifying defensive scheme/personnel so as not be predictable. The Colt's last year are an example of a Cover 2 defense that added new wrinkles yielding excellent results.

- "We get off the bus running" but lacking O-line talent to run the ball effectively.

- 'Club Med' style training camps.

- Giving Tommie Harris a $40 million contact extension that he did earn with questions surrounding his health.

Ha, Lovie is a complete joke. He is not an authoritative figure when it comes to dealing with his players. The guy is a softy and it shows on the field. I would want to be held accountable if I make a mistake on the field. This clown does not even seem to bother to sit these players down and let them know that is unacceptable. He is supposedly helping call the Defensive plays.

Welp, I got news for ya this D has been very sloppy at times. They excel in forcing turnovers but at times you see those guys trying too gamble too much. I mean if it wasnt for yesterdays fumble that somehow stayed in bounds. People would be ripping this guy a new butt. He is terrible and this is why he has so many ex-coaches on his staff. He doesnt have a clue on how to run a team. Players say whatever they want whenever they want. Lovie just sits in the background taking it all in deciding what went wrong. He needs to get a ticket out of town, asap. They are always just an average or above average team. One year, he took a backseat and didnt help at all on the Defensive side. Bears were thrashed the first few weeks. Lovie took over and finally made it somewhat decent. He is what he is an ok D Coordinator and nothing more

Last edited by a moderator:
any coach that can take that team to the NFC title game isn't a bad coach
Used to love Lovie, but getting to the NFC title game was because of a great Defense in spite of a terrible o-line. That D isn't nearly the same as it was last year and the o-line has gotten worse. Barring a huge turnaround, Lovie and Martz are toast.

The OL line and the receivers suck. The QB is basically average. They've produced up to the level of talent
560 Winning %, 2 NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl Appearanceand they've produced up to the talent? I'd love to see what he could do with some.

Ha, Lovie is a complete joke. He is not an authoritative figure when it comes to dealing with his players. The guy is a softy and it shows on the field. I would want to be held accountable if I make a mistake on the field. This clown does not even seem to bother to sit these players down and let them know that is unacceptable. He is supposedly helping call the Defensive plays. Welp, I got news for ya this D has been very sloppy at times. They excel in forcing turnovers but at times you see those guys trying too gamble too much. I mean if it wasnt for yesterdays fumble that somehow stayed in bounds. People would be ripping this guy a new butt. He is terrible and this is why he has so many ex-coaches on his staff. He doesnt have a clue on how to run a team. Players say whatever they want whenever they want. Lovie just sits in the background taking it all in deciding what went wrong. He needs to get a ticket out of town, asap. They are always just an average or above average team. One year, he took a backseat and didnt help at all on the Defensive side. Bears were thrashed the first few weeks. Lovie took over and finally made it somewhat decent. He is what he is an ok D Coordinator and nothing more
I would like to see Lovie talk once during a game..no matter what happens he just stands there looking confused.I thought he was a rah rah type of coach when he was with the Rams.

I would like to see Lovie talk once during a game..no matter what happens he just stands there looking confused.
Some of the games other greats, like Jim Caldwell, have clearly studied long and hard on how to match Lovie's on field demeanor. "Intensity or confusion? Just keep staring straight ahead and no one will ever know"

'GreenNGold said:
As a Packer fan, I hope the Bears offer Lovie a life-long contract extension!
Lovie has a pretty good record against the Packers
He got off to a decent start but since 2008 he is 2-6 against the Packers (includes postseason)When the Bears win it is despite Lovie, not because of him.

First to go is the guy who made the Roy Williams deal happen. Then work your way down the line based on who were the strongest supporters of that move. Yes, it's a short term deal, but ANYBODY who thought he'd even sniff the WR1 job was sniffing glue.

'Widbil83 said:
'joffer said:
any coach that can take that team to the NFC title game isn't a bad coach
Used to love Lovie, but getting to the NFC title game was because of a great Defense in spite of a terrible o-line. That D isn't nearly the same as it was last year and the o-line has gotten worse. Barring a huge turnaround, Lovie and Martz are toast.
Is Lovie also the GM?

'Sam Quentin said:
The OL line and the receivers suck. They've produced up to the level of talent
I'll give you those - but Lovie continually did what he did last night as an in-game coach; which is, waste two time outs (one on a horrible attempt to challenge a call which had no chance of being overturned...which has been a trend) to go for it on 4th and short when he should have kicked a field goal all along. In a 0-0 game on the road, you take the points. Yes, there are aspects of the team that are dreadful (which Angelo should also be canned for) - but that doesn't automatically lift all the blame off Lovie - who routinely makes bad in-game decisions and allows his offensive coordinator to do some pretty awful game planning. Once again, using last night as an example: How many times does Martz have to call empty backfield, no help for his tackles protection scheme before Lovie walks over (or over the headset) says, "Ummm, Mike? Could we run a few max-protect plays or at least keep a TE or back in to chip to help out our bad OT on the road in a loud environment so our QB can actually stop running for his life to throw the ball once or twice?"The Bears continually start the game looking unprepared and suprised that the other team actually showed up. The comment by Jaws last night that the Bears should think about going to a silent count...REALLY? Think about it? They should have planned to start the game with it, knowing that the home crowd would be jacked. But no - the Bears aren't ready and have 4 false starts in the first 7 offensive snaps. Way to be ready. Oh and news flash to the Bears coaching staff: Calvin Johnson is pretty fast. Later in the game the safeties were playing deeper to "protect against a big play by Johnson" - too bad it took a long TD for them to figure that out - I mean, it's not like Johnson has ever gone long for a TD yet this season. This entire coaching staff needs to be launched. The defense is giving up big plays (which they are specifically designed NOT to....allegedly). The o-line will give up 8 sacks during the bye week. The WRs are poor. The TE is dropping passes, when he isn't false starting. And it seems as though the OC's main plan is to get Cutler killed as quickly as possible. All starting with inferior talent drafted and signed by Angelo - then that inferior talent is played out of position and in bad play calling by the coaching staff. Look at the o-line:A center is starting at guard (who we payed $3 for), the other guard was the tackle who was a first round bust as a tackle. The two tackles? One is repeatedly benched because he is so bad (and he, BTW, was a guard his entire career before getting to the Bears). The center, is a guy who was a guard his entire career - until this year. The left tackle was a late round draft pick...who was playing right tackle last season.Or WR:You have, as your #1 WR EITHER (depending on who you listen to and on which day) a washed up veteran who has a total of 6 receptions for 81 yards...THIS SEASON and hasn't had more than 600 receiving yards since 2007! - or - a converted defensive back who never started a game at WR until 2008...on any level. In fact, when asked why he didn't play offense in college, he stated that he didn't like offense. Oh and whichever one of those two gems isn't your #1 WR, is the one starting opposite the "#1" (frankly, I think they are both number two WRs...and I don't mean second best).And the fine general manager has virtually all of these misfits under contract for the future...except one. MATT "I AM THE OFFENSE" FORTE! Good work there - sign everyone except the best player (save for maybe Cutler - but with no time, it's hard to tell). As far as I'm concerned start with JA, and fire him and everyone below. Done.

'Sam Quentin said:
I'll give you those - but Lovie continually did what he did last night as an in-game coach; which is, waste two time outs (one on a horrible attempt to challenge a call which had no chance of being overturned...which has been a trend) to go for it on 4th and short when he should have kicked a field goal all along. In a 0-0 game on the road, you take the points. Yes, there are aspects of the team that are dreadful (which Angelo should also be canned for) - but that doesn't automatically lift all the blame off Lovie - who routinely makes bad in-game decisions and allows his offensive coordinator to do some pretty awful game planning.

Once again, using last night as an example: How many times does Martz have to call empty backfield, no help for his tackles protection scheme before Lovie walks over (or over the headset) says, "Ummm, Mike? Could we run a few max-protect plays or at least keep a TE or back in to chip to help out our bad OT on the road in a loud environment so our QB can actually stop running for his life to throw the ball once or twice?"

The Bears continually start the game looking unprepared and suprised that the other team actually showed up. The comment by Jaws last night that the Bears should think about going to a silent count...REALLY? Think about it? They should have planned to start the game with it, knowing that the home crowd would be jacked. But no - the Bears aren't ready and have 4 false starts in the first 7 offensive snaps. Way to be ready. Oh and news flash to the Bears coaching staff: Calvin Johnson is pretty fast. Later in the game the safeties were playing deeper to "protect against a big play by Johnson" - too bad it took a long TD for them to figure that out - I mean, it's not like Johnson has ever gone long for a TD yet this season.

This entire coaching staff needs to be launched. The defense is giving up big plays (which they are specifically designed NOT to....allegedly). The o-line will give up 8 sacks during the bye week. The WRs are poor. The TE is dropping passes, when he isn't false starting. And it seems as though the OC's main plan is to get Cutler killed as quickly as possible. All starting with inferior talent drafted and signed by Angelo - then that inferior talent is played out of position and in bad play calling by the coaching staff.

Look at the o-line:

A center is starting at guard (who we payed $3 for), the other guard was the tackle who was a first round bust as a tackle. The two tackles? One is repeatedly benched because he is so bad (and he, BTW, was a guard his entire career before getting to the Bears). The center, is a guy who was a guard his entire career - until this year. The left tackle was a late round draft pick...who was playing right tackle last season.

Or WR:

You have, as your #1 WR EITHER (depending on who you listen to and on which day) a washed up veteran who has a total of 6 receptions for 81 yards...THIS SEASON and hasn't had more than 600 receiving yards since 2007! - or - a converted defensive back who never started a game at WR until 2008...on any level. In fact, when asked why he didn't play offense in college, he stated that he didn't like offense. Oh and whichever one of those two gems isn't your #1 WR, is the one starting opposite the "#1" (frankly, I think they are both number two WRs...and I don't mean second best).

And the fine general manager has virtually all of these misfits under contract for the future...except one. MATT "I AM THE OFFENSE" FORTE! Good work there - sign everyone except the best player (save for maybe Cutler - but with no time, it's hard to tell).

As far as I'm concerned start with JA, and fire him and everyone below.

Done.
:goodposting:

Martz not utilizing- and then allowing to let go- Greg Olsen deserves at least one finger of blame pointed there. Two more, including the middle one, if he was the advocate for Roy. The two 4th and 1 attempts last night weren't fooling anybody.

Everyone criticizing the 4th and 1 where they lined up and burned a TO...give me a break. You would all be calling 'genius!' if Detroit had jumped offsides on that play. It happens all the time - just look at the Philadelphia game this week. It happened last week too. In such a loud environment where probably 10 penalties had already been called in the game, that's absolutely the shark move. Because it didn't work that one particular time, everyone wants to play armchair coach and say they would've done otherwise.

'Sam Quentin said:
I'll give you those - but Lovie continually did what he did last night as an in-game coach; which is, waste two time outs (one on a horrible attempt to challenge a call which had no chance of being overturned...which has been a trend) to go for it on 4th and short when he should have kicked a field goal all along. In a 0-0 game on the road, you take the points. Yes, there are aspects of the team that are dreadful (which Angelo should also be canned for) - but that doesn't automatically lift all the blame off Lovie - who routinely makes bad in-game decisions and allows his offensive coordinator to do some pretty awful game planning. Once again, using last night as an example: How many times does Martz have to call empty backfield, no help for his tackles protection scheme before Lovie walks over (or over the headset) says, "Ummm, Mike? Could we run a few max-protect plays or at least keep a TE or back in to chip to help out our bad OT on the road in a loud environment so our QB can actually stop running for his life to throw the ball once or twice?"The Bears continually start the game looking unprepared and suprised that the other team actually showed up. The comment by Jaws last night that the Bears should think about going to a silent count...REALLY? Think about it? They should have planned to start the game with it, knowing that the home crowd would be jacked. But no - the Bears aren't ready and have 4 false starts in the first 7 offensive snaps. Way to be ready. Oh and news flash to the Bears coaching staff: Calvin Johnson is pretty fast. Later in the game the safeties were playing deeper to "protect against a big play by Johnson" - too bad it took a long TD for them to figure that out - I mean, it's not like Johnson has ever gone long for a TD yet this season. This entire coaching staff needs to be launched. The defense is giving up big plays (which they are specifically designed NOT to....allegedly). The o-line will give up 8 sacks during the bye week. The WRs are poor. The TE is dropping passes, when he isn't false starting. And it seems as though the OC's main plan is to get Cutler killed as quickly as possible. All starting with inferior talent drafted and signed by Angelo - then that inferior talent is played out of position and in bad play calling by the coaching staff. Look at the o-line:A center is starting at guard (who we payed $3 for), the other guard was the tackle who was a first round bust as a tackle. The two tackles? One is repeatedly benched because he is so bad (and he, BTW, was a guard his entire career before getting to the Bears). The center, is a guy who was a guard his entire career - until this year. The left tackle was a late round draft pick...who was playing right tackle last season.Or WR:You have, as your #1 WR EITHER (depending on who you listen to and on which day) a washed up veteran who has a total of 6 receptions for 81 yards...THIS SEASON and hasn't had more than 600 receiving yards since 2007! - or - a converted defensive back who never started a game at WR until 2008...on any level. In fact, when asked why he didn't play offense in college, he stated that he didn't like offense. Oh and whichever one of those two gems isn't your #1 WR, is the one starting opposite the "#1" (frankly, I think they are both number two WRs...and I don't mean second best).And the fine general manager has virtually all of these misfits under contract for the future...except one. MATT "I AM THE OFFENSE" FORTE! Good work there - sign everyone except the best player (save for maybe Cutler - but with no time, it's hard to tell). As far as I'm concerned start with JA, and fire him and everyone below. Done.
Nice analysis. :thumbup:

Everyone criticizing the 4th and 1 where they lined up and burned a TO...give me a break. You would all be calling 'genius!' if Detroit had jumped offsides on that play. It happens all the time - just look at the Philadelphia game this week. It happened last week too. In such a loud environment where probably 10 penalties had already been called in the game, that's absolutely the shark move. Because it didn't work that one particular time, everyone wants to play armchair coach and say they would've done otherwise.
You must have missed the part where Jaws commented "...and the Bears end the first quarter with only 1 timeout...that's nothing new to Bear fans...".The Bears are forced to waste timeouts every week - for silly reasons. And in the situation last night, they didn't burn 1 timeout - they burned 2. One for the offsides attempt and one on the failed challenge. And if you watched the game, you would also know that they really didn't even have a decent chance to draw the Lions off, because they didn't even get the play in and get up to the line with much time left on the play clock (which is also not new) Lovie coached a bad game...again.

If you're the home team and you can work the crowd to assist, sure. If you're away- and have penalties to credit with most of your move down the field- take the 3 pt gift and get cute later. At least line up differently the 2nd time even if you still plan on handing off to your bellcow.

'BusterTBronco said:
Wow. The Bears season went south in a hurry. Talk about a team that cannot handle a little adversity. These guys have up and quit!
yeah ok I half agree with that aside from the fact that cutler and forte are the main guys who are gone what you expect would happen

'BusterTBronco said:
Wow. The Bears season went south in a hurry. Talk about a team that cannot handle a little adversity. These guys have up and quit!
another cutler hater. think before you post.No quit here. When your GM puts hanie as your back up any team will struggle. There is some bad coaching also.

'BusterTBronco said:
They haven't quit, they just have a weak offensive line, terrible receivers and a back up QB who can't play. Cutler covered up these flaws really well. Unfortunately, with him gone all the warts were visible.

'BusterTBronco said:
The defense quit. 38 points against by a horrible Seattle team.
Seattle is no where near horrible. 5 of the last 6 they have won and it definitely wasn't the Bears defense that allowed 38 points. Seattle caused 4 turnovers and ran 2 picks back for six.

I have changed my opinion of Lovie Smith the last few years.

I think he is a very good head coach.

His players respect him and play hard for him. He handles himself with class.

He went to the Superbowl with Grossman as qb.

He won the division last year.

The Bears were doing well this year until they lost their qb and rb.

I don't know anyone who thinks he's a "bad" coach. He's an above average coach who has no idea how to produce a good offense. The Bears defense has carried this team for years, obviously. Now that most of their stars are aging, they won't be able to carry them as in years past. If they're going to make a change, I think now is the time. How many more years does the organization need to see before they realize he can't run a successful offense. In an "offensive" league, Lovie's way isn't going to keep up on a consistent basis.

Isn't he a defensive coach? I don't think he had much input on the offensive side of the ball. The Bears defense seems pretty damn good and opportunistic. Seems like a solid coach to me.

PROS:

On the positive side, he is a very solid defensive coach who is loved by his players, and he consistently gets the team up for games. They never quit on him.

Beats the teams that he should beat - gives you 7-9 or 8-8 at worse, meaning the team is consistently mediocre to good and has a shot at the playoffs every year.

CONS:

Bad gameday coach who can't manage the clock, or teach his offense to communicate plays in from the sidelines without having to needlessly burn timeouts EVERY freakin' game, and he doesn't make effective in-game adjustments (either the gameplan works in the 1st half and they build a lead that the defense can hold onto - or they lose, period.)

However, his offenses are dysfunctional at best; he annually throws offensive coordinators under the bus and then helps make a clueless new hire at the OC.

Unfortunately, he just doesn't/can't understand the importance of the offensive side of the ball, and he shows no signs of changing/learning/etc.

1 playoff appearance in 6 years. 2 complete collapses the last 2 years. If he has this great defense, if he had any idea of how to help gameplan offensively this is a perennial playoff team. This team is now in NFL hell.....that 8-8 to 10-6 team that isn't going to win anything. If nothing else, you fire Lovie to start over. I don't care if we suck for 2-3 years if it gets us closer to a title.....

PROS:On the positive side, he is a very solid defensive coach who is loved by his players, and he consistently gets the team up for games. They never quit on him.Beats the teams that he should beat - gives you 7-9 or 8-8 at worse, meaning the team is consistently mediocre to good and has a shot at the playoffs every year.CONS:Bad gameday coach who can't manage the clock, or teach his offense to communicate plays in from the sidelines without having to needlessly burn timeouts EVERY freakin' game, and he doesn't make effective in-game adjustments (either the gameplan works in the 1st half and they build a lead that the defense can hold onto - or they lose, period.)However, his offenses are dysfunctional at best; he annually throws offensive coordinators under the bus and then helps make a clueless new hire at the OC. Unfortunately, he just doesn't/can't understand the importance of the offensive side of the ball, and he shows no signs of changing/learning/etc.
This post says alot of the items I was going to raise. he has no clue about offense. Nine years of PATHETIC offenses in his tenure.One other thing that bugs the crap out of me - he won't answer a question honestly. He gives a meaningless BS answer in that boring drone to every question asked by the media. I CANNOT STAND BS'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread