What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is nobody talking about Dwyer? (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure why Redman is being dismissed so quickly.
He's hurt and there's reason to believe the injuries may effect him all season.
From everything I've read it was just a tweaked ankle and he's going to be the week 1 starter.
Redman has a hip injury that he says will linger all year. He says he can play through the pain all season, but that has to be a concern.
First of all, he said it MIGHT linger, it might not. He also said he had no pain after 3 days of practice leading up to the Bills game last weekend and I've seen no reports of any pain in the hip after seeing 12 carries in the first half of that game. I really am not particularly worried about it.
I think the activation of Medenhall off the PUP despite him not being ready says more about Redman's health than Redman's mouth does. The Steelers want the option of using him before week 6 in case Dwyer can't handle the load because Rainey is a role player and they don't trust Redman's health. If Redman were healthy I think Mendenhall's still on the PUP.
I don't think one had much to do with the other. I think they activated Mendenhall because he'll be ready before week 7, which would have been the earliest he could play if he were PUP'd. I suspect he'll start to see action after the bye week - week 5.

I don't think one had much to do with the other. I think they activated Mendenhall because he'll be ready before week 7, which would have been the earliest he could play if he were PUP'd. I suspect he'll start to see action after the bye week - week 5.
Activating Mendenhall from the PUP so they can use him for 2 weeks at the expense of another roster spot doesn't pass the smell test, especially given the other current health issues on the team. An extra body on the OL or at LB is more important than having 4 RB's.

Activating Mendenhall from the PUP so they can use him for 2 weeks at the expense of another roster spot doesn't pass the smell test, especially given the other current health issues on the team. An extra body on the OL or at LB is more important than having 4 RB's.
Unless they think Mendy is that much more talented than the other backs...

Looking at his career production and the on-field product then evaluating vs. Redman's 2011 that can't be the case if Redman is healthy.

That roster spot is only 'wasted' for weeks 1-3. Week 4 is a bye, assumedly Mendy plays weeks 5 on. So you either burn 3 weeks of a roster space, or you burn 2 games of your starting running back plus the 2 weeks of practice during the bye (I believe players on pup cant participate in practice). Seems like a pretty easy call to me.

It's actually three weeks since he's expected to be available in Week 5 and would have had to sit out until Week 8 if he started on PUP. But I agree that if they were rock solid at RB they'd probably be more likely to use the roster spot for someone else and PUP Mendenhall.

Looking at his career production and the on-field product then evaluating vs. Redman's 2011 that can't be the case if Redman is healthy.
:lmao:Yep - that's a perfect comparison. a 27 year old with a career year (at <500 yards) vs. a guy who averages 1100 over the past 3 who is 25. Keep up the fine work. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:Yep - that's a perfect comparison. a 27 year old with a career year (at <500 yards) vs. a guy who averages 1100 over the past 3 who is 25. Keep up the fine work. :thumbup:
3.9 and 4.1 ypc's the last two years, limited in the passing game, nothing special on the field. Redman did better than that last year and he's not coming off a blown out knee. If the Steelers were confident Redman were healthy they would feel better about rolling with him for the first 5 games with Dwyer as plan B/competition and Rainey in his role. They could use that extra body somewhere else.

Mendenhall has been a good fantasy RB but nothing special as an NFL RB. He has had ample opportunity and been decent. If Redman or Dwyer proves better than decent then Mendenhall is yesterday's news. Don't get caught up in fantasy success. Of the top 30 RBs last year his 4.1 per carry tied for 23rd. None of the top 10 and only two of the top 20 were worse.

'wdcrob said:
'MAC_32 said:
It's actually three weeks since he's expected to be available in Week 5 and would have had to sit out until Week 8 if he started on PUP. But I agree that if they were rock solid at RB they'd probably be more likely to use the roster spot for someone else and PUP Mendenhall.
Its the practice time that is the dealbreaker. How effective would Mendenhall be if he doesnt set foot on a practice field for 7 weeks?

'wdcrob said:
'MAC_32 said:
Its the practice time that is the dealbreaker. How effective would Mendenhall be if he doesnt set foot on a practice field for 7 weeks?
Yep. Unless both Redman and Dwyer are out, I dont expect to see Mendy get any game time until the 2nd half of the season. Just because he could play a few weeks earlier than this as their emergency RB, doesnt mean he should play or would be their best option otherwise.

'Wadsworth said:
Mendenhall has been a good fantasy RB but nothing special as an NFL RB. He has had ample opportunity and been decent. If Redman or Dwyer proves better than decent then Mendenhall is yesterday's news. Don't get caught up in fantasy success. Of the top 30 RBs last year his 4.1 per carry tied for 23rd. None of the top 10 and only two of the top 20 were worse.
Look up the offensive line rankings for the 3 years Mendenhall has been starting. HINT: It is below 20 EVERY SINGLE YEAR.Please note: These are rankings of the olineman themselves, not a function of his effectiveness running behind them.Just google offensive line rankings and pick a source - there are several - and they all have Pitt's o-line rankings 20th or worse in terms of run blocking for every year Mendenhall has started. Feel free to bump this entire thread in week 8 or 9 if Mendenhall is healthy and standing on the sideline watching Dwyer or Redman tearing it up. :thumbup:

Dwyer has been on the roster for 2 years and barely had a sniff. If he was even close to being talented enough to be a bellcow back in the NFL he would have seen more than 25 touches in 2 years. With Mendenhall possibly back after the week 4 bye, Dwyer may start only 3 games.

And let's not forget that Mendenhall is still only 25 and by the end of his 2nd season, he already had a 1k rushing season under his belt. In his last 3 seasons Mendenhall has averaged 1100+ rushing on 265 carries for 10 TDs and about 200 yards receiving to boot. If Mendenhall is healthy he is the bellcow back and much more talented than Redman or Dwyer.
This guy only had about 60 carries his first 2 years and did ok in his career....after he switched teams.
FYP
So for Dwyer, it sounds like you saying we need to add . . . after he switched Offensive Coordinators.
Be my guest. I'll pass for all the reasons that actually make sense. If you think changing OC's is magically going to transform Dwyer into Ahman Green and make Mendenhall disappear - fell free to draft accordingly.Have a great season.
Funny. You sure are awfully defensive. You clearly don't like it when someone use facts to punch a hole in your reasoning.You need to reread my first post. Dwyer is in a great position to show what he can do for Pittsburgh in the future. If he produces at the same level (or better) than Mendenhall has in the past couple of years, he is in a great position to secure the RB spot next year and beyond. Why? Simply because he will be cheaper.

Seven carries for 44 yards. 6.2 ypc average.

Hard to read too much into the last preseason game, but he's been producing at this clip all preseason.

Funny. You sure are awfully defensive. You clearly don't like it when someone use facts to punch a hole in your reasoning.You need to reread my first post. Dwyer is in a great position to show what he can do for Pittsburgh in the future. If he produces at the same level (or better) than Mendenhall has in the past couple of years, he is in a great position to secure the RB spot next year and beyond. Why? Simply because he will be cheaper.
Not defensive at all. I do find it funny that anytime people have a differing opinion, people read it as defensive.There are reasons Dwyer hasn't had but 25 carries in the last 2 seasons, while Mendenhall has been laoded up with 550+ over the past two seasons. Certainly Dwyer is cheap in redraft leagues - and in one dynatsy league I am in, Dwyer is STILL on the WW - and will likely remain there. Why? Because it is much more likely that when Mendenhall returns, Dwyer will see limited touches, as opposed to him turning into a star (let alone the starter).There are other RBs that are cheap that have a much better chance of "breaking out" - I just don't happen to think Dwyer (or Redman) is one of them. That's not defensive - just a different viewpoint than yours.

'Wadsworth said:
'MAC_32 said:
I agree with this. I've seen enough Mendenhall to conclude that he's decent enough, but not great. I wouldn't be surprised if he's seen his last days as a starting back in the NFL -- his contract is up and he'll probably go RBBC somewhere else next year.

If you need someone to cover for Mathews or MJD, or even AP, by all means, roll the dice on Dwyer. However there is a reason they did not PUP Mendenhall, even knowing they won't have him for all but maybe 2-3 weeks of what he would have missed if he was PUP'd. Every game in the NFL is important. 8-8 vs 9-7 can mean post season or go home. It's very clear they feel Mendenhall gives them the best chance to win, and he does. Dwyer is no rookie and has had opportunity in the past and done nothing. If Redman can't go, there is value in Dwyer for a game or 2, which can cover you for taking a riskier back early. That is really all this is.

If he gets the starting nod week 1 this gets really interesting. Assuming he can do well against the Den def (22nd against the run last year) he'd probably pick up the start for the games heading into the bye - Jets (home), Raiders (away). There's no reason to assume he can't do well in those games if he does well against Denver. If he looks good heading into the bye he may have taken the job.

Lots of 'ifs' in that scenario but isn't too far fetched and it costs you the last pick in your draft. Great move IMO.

If he gets the starting nod week 1 this gets really interesting. Assuming he can do well against the Den def (22nd against the run last year) he'd probably pick up the start for the games heading into the bye - Jets (home), Raiders (away). There's no reason to assume he can't do well in those games if he does well against Denver. If he looks good heading into the bye he may have taken the job. Lots of 'ifs' in that scenario but isn't too far fetched and it costs you the last pick in your draft. Great move IMO.
Would you start him week 1 if he is named the starter?

If he gets the starting nod week 1 this gets really interesting. Assuming he can do well against the Den def (22nd against the run last year) he'd probably pick up the start for the games heading into the bye - Jets (home), Raiders (away). There's no reason to assume he can't do well in those games if he does well against Denver. If he looks good heading into the bye he may have taken the job. Lots of 'ifs' in that scenario but isn't too far fetched and it costs you the last pick in your draft. Great move IMO.
Probably. My other RB2 options are Donald Brown and David Wilson. Brown gets the Bears and the Giants RB situation is murky as well. I'd go with the starter vs. the bad run defense.

Probably. My other RB2 options are Donald Brown and David Wilson. Brown gets the Bears and the Giants RB situation is murky as well. I'd go with the starter vs. the bad run defense.
Let me re-phrase that. Do you think he is a strong start if he gets the nod. Regardless of who is on the bench? Would he be a strong "must start", solid, so-so, or desperate? Something like that. Because he looked damn good last night. Big, strong and fast but then again thats the first I have ever seen him in the NFL

Let me re-phrase that. Do you think he is a strong start if he gets the nod. Regardless of who is on the bench? Would he be a strong "must start", solid, so-so, or desperate? Something like that. Because he looked damn good last night. Big, strong and fast but then again thats the first I have ever seen him in the NFL
I think he's a solid start. I watched the replay of the Steelers/Panthers game last night and I think he looked great.

I will likely start 2 of these RBs: Ridley, MBush, Tate, Wilson, Dwyer ....I think there is a decent chance I start Dwyer.

The only issue with statrting Dwyer in Week 1 is the start time. Pittsburgh plays Denver on Sunday Night Football, so we don't have the luxury of knowing if Redman will be active. Owners will have to keep tabs on practice next week.

I wasn't high on Redman before his injury.

I think the move to take Mendenhall of IR early showed that Redman's injury is worse than many are assuming.

Dwyer came into camp in his best condition of his career yet even when he came in ill-prepared he worked his way onto the roster and has always flashed when he's gotten an opportunity to produce.

I think that Redman isn't 100% and the move to bring in Mendy indicates Redman isn't going to be able to handle a full workload and the workload that Dwyer got in preseason proved he can handle being a feature back if called upon and I think the Steelers will go to him.

Dwyer has flashed every time he's gotten an opportunity and I think he will be more work than many are assuming and very well might be the #1 RB for the first couple of games and if he produces, and I think he will, then the Steelers will continue to go with him. He might even claim the top back role.

My main concern is the ADD issue. I've heard that has been the main issue as he can't pay attention during meetings and it effects all aspects of his life, many of which affect his ability to act in a proffessional manner and that is why he has had issues with conditioning etc.

He's got the raw skills and now I believe he will get the opportunity and I think he'll produce.

I think he's a legit fantasy sleeper that will catch many napping.

If he gets the starting nod week 1 this gets really interesting. Assuming he can do well against the Den def (22nd against the run last year) he'd probably pick up the start for the games heading into the bye - Jets (home), Raiders (away). There's no reason to assume he can't do well in those games if he does well against Denver. If he looks good heading into the bye he may have taken the job.

Lots of 'ifs' in that scenario but isn't too far fetched and it costs you the last pick in your draft. Great move IMO.
I will likely start 2 of these RBs: Ridley, MBush, Tate, Wilson, Dwyer ....I think there is a decent chance I start Dwyer.
Rank them for the season, if you would. I have Tate, released Bush (for D. Brown), but I could still get Dwyer.

'Bracie Smathers said:
I wasn't high on Redman before his injury.

I think the move to take Mendenhall of IR early showed that Redman's injury is worse than many are assuming.

Dwyer came into camp in his best condition of his career yet even when he came in ill-prepared he worked his way onto the roster and has always flashed when he's gotten an opportunity to produce.

I think that Redman isn't 100% and the move to bring in Mendy indicates Redman isn't going to be able to handle a full workload and the workload that Dwyer got in preseason proved he can handle being a feature back if called upon and I think the Steelers will go to him.

Dwyer has flashed every time he's gotten an opportunity and I think he will be more work than many are assuming and very well might be the #1 RB for the first couple of games and if he produces, and I think he will, then the Steelers will continue to go with him. He might even claim the top back role.

My main concern is the ADD issue. I've heard that has been the main issue as he can't pay attention during meetings and it effects all aspects of his life, many of which affect his ability to act in a proffessional manner and that is why he has had issues with conditioning etc.

He's got the raw skills and now I believe he will get the opportunity and I think he'll produce.

I think he's a legit fantasy sleeper that will catch many napping.
:yes:

From rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects Steelers RBs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman to both get "plenty of use" in Week 1.

For those with both - assuming this is the case - whom do you start?

'pittstownkiller said:

Rank them for the season, if you would. I have Tate, released Bush (for D. Brown), but I could still get Dwyer.
My actual projections, I believe, rank them in the same order listed: Ridley, Bush, Tate, Wilson, Dwyer. I have Ridley as a low end RB2, so hes clearly ahead of the rest. Bush, Tate, and Wilson IMO are pretty much the best backup/handcuffs you can get. I love Dwyer, but you can take him much later than rest.

'LHUCKS said:
Dwyer went in round 11 of my FPC draft last night...that ship of value has sailed.
went round 11 again in FPC today.About where he should go IMHO, not huge value here.

'LHUCKS said:
Dwyer went in round 11 of my FPC draft last night...that ship of value has sailed.
went round 11 again in FPC today.About where he should go IMHO, not huge value here.
Yea. As a WW pick up or super late draft pick I love his upside, but in the 11th there are several options with big upside. He is not a bad pick in the 11th, just not the value he was even a few days ago.

'LHUCKS said:
Yea. As a WW pick up or super late draft pick I love his upside, but in the 11th there are several options with big upside. He is not a bad pick in the 11th, just not the value he was even a few days ago.
exactly

I got him in the 14th...in my PIT homer league

Either someone is very high on Dwyer in your leagues, or he is being overdrafted.

I dont think he's going 11th in most leagues

From rotoworld: The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects Steelers RBs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman to both get "plenty of use" in Week 1.For those with both - assuming this is the case - whom do you start?
Dwyer for me. I know the sample size is small and that a lot of his work has come in the preseason, but for the past couple years it seems like he has had a tendency to make big plays when given opportunities. One or two of those against live bullets and Redman could find himself glued to the pine.

Dwyer has flashed legitimate running skills in his limited opportunities.

His concern will be staying healthy. Thats a skill he hasn't demonstrated to date.

I got him in the 14th...in my PIT homer leagueEither someone is very high on Dwyer in your leagues, or he is being overdrafted. I dont think he's going 11th in most leagues
They are talking FFPC with roster size 20, and double flex. Changes things somewhat. For what it's worth, I was getting him in July late late, like 18-20th rd. Now, as some have indicated, his value is evaporating. Bummer......

Tomlin:

"He toted the load tonight," Tomlin said after Dwyer's 13-carry, 63-yard preseason effort Thursday. "He was the primary ball carrier, and that’s kind of what we wanted to see. It’s really a snapshot of his growth and development throughout this training camp and preseason. First things first, he showed up in good physical condition, and that’s a prerequisite. He kind of took off from there. What he showed tonight is kind of a snapshot of what he’s done for us here in the last month or so. It needs to continue. He’s capable of it continuing."

Sounds like coach is in this kid's corner. Still think if Redman were totally healthy it would tilt much in his (Redman's) favor, but the nagging hip changes the dynamic for sure.

I just boarded the "Dwyer Flyer" :popcorn:

I got him in the 14th...in my PIT homer leagueEither someone is very high on Dwyer in your leagues, or he is being overdrafted. I dont think he's going 11th in most leagues
I guess the people that are taking in in the 11th or so are thinking he is incredible valuable if he is the starting RB for Pitt day 1. IF thats the case then thats amazing value.

Unless we're talking about exceptional talents, very rarely do you see loyalty in the game of football. If there is something working, chances are an organization is not going to mess with that. The great thing about this game is it is an equal opportunity employer for the most part, if you shine in your opportunities there is a very, very strong chance they will keep feeding you those opportunities. Dwyer in my opinion is a lot more talented than Redman and Mendenhall, it just took him a while to get his head out of his ###. I am very confident that Dwyer will run with this.

I loved Dwyer at Georgia Tech. Great runner when he gets rolling. Reached a little for him last night in the 12th of a 14-teamer. There's value to be had even if you're last minute drafting. If you want to try to pry him off another owner, I'd hurry...

Users who are viewing this thread