What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Favre ever be asked to be part of Packers organization? (1 Viewer)

The Moz

Footballguy
Usually players of his caliber are asked back to serve with their old team in some function after they retire. Just wondering if that will ever be an option for Favre and also if they will get him back to start next year so he can retire as a Packer?

I am as annoyed with Favre the last 3 years as anyone but the man did bring back Titletown and woke up the Lombardi echoes when they were long long asleep. He played his ### off for a decade and a half for the Packers and never missed a game. I definitley see the Packers bringing him back post draft so he can retire a Packer --- then it will hug all around ( possibly hand jobs and showers together ) then all will be forgiven and he will once again be a Packer.

so do you think the Packers and Favre will reunite or is the bridges too burned to be mended? I can't see Brett as a talk show guy or an announcer -- maybe on occasion as a special guest but thats it.

yes but it will take 4 or 5 years and him somehow making amends to Ted Thomsen who has quietly built a pretty damned good team despite what the jerkface morning sports guys here in Milwaukee say about him. IF it was up to our sports talk jabronis they would have him sign every free agent as soon as they go on the market for whatever amount of money is necessary to get them signed and we'd have everyone from Randy Moss to Julian Peppers to Chester to you name it we'd have him and then we'd be DAllas -- lots of name but not much game. So overall I think he'll come back as long as he mends some fences with TT.

Usually players of his caliber are asked back to serve with their old team in some function after they retire. Just wondering if that will ever be an option for Favre and also if they will get him back to start next year so he can retire as a Packer?I am as annoyed with Favre the last 3 years as anyone but the man did bring back Titletown and woke up the Lombardi echoes when they were long long asleep. He played his ### off for a decade and a half for the Packers and never missed a game. I definitley see the Packers bringing him back post draft so he can retire a Packer --- then it will hug all around ( possibly hand jobs and showers together ) then all will be forgiven and he will once again be a Packer.so do you think the Packers and Favre will reunite or is the bridges too burned to be mended? I can't see Brett as a talk show guy or an announcer -- maybe on occasion as a special guest but thats it.
The highest honor the Packers can give a former player is to retire his jersey number, which they have done for five players in a 90+ year history (compare to the Bears, who have retired 14 numbers in the same period). Favre's #4 will almost certainly be retired someday, most likely after Thompson has left the organization. Whether he is asked to "serve with the team in some function" is unlikely in my opinion, and I doubt he would want to do that. I'm not really sure how common that is, and don't believe it is very common with the Packers. That said, one of the cool things about gameday at Lambeau is seeing old retired Packers on the sideline every game. They aren't always announced or recognized, but there are several there every game. I think Don Majkowski has been at about half the home games I've attended over the past 2-3 years, always prancing up and down the sideline waiving at the adoring fans. I don't expect Favre to do much of that. In fact, I would be very surprised to see Favre coming back for games and hanging with guys like Starr and Dickey at charity functions in Green Bay. I've got no problem with that, most of the old guys leave town and never come back but once a year or so at most.

I think the first act will be an invitation for whenever they have a reunion for the Super Bowl XXXI champs. Next year is the 15 year anniversary, so throw that out the window, but I'd guess for the 20 or 25. Easier for all if he's invited/involved with something for the entire team. They can deal with honors for him after that.

Usually players of his caliber are asked back to serve with their old team in some function after they retire. Just wondering if that will ever be an option for Favre and also if they will get him back to start next year so he can retire as a Packer?I am as annoyed with Favre the last 3 years as anyone but the man did bring back Titletown and woke up the Lombardi echoes when they were long long asleep. He played his ### off for a decade and a half for the Packers and never missed a game. I definitley see the Packers bringing him back post draft so he can retire a Packer --- then it will hug all around ( possibly hand jobs and showers together ) then all will be forgiven and he will once again be a Packer.so do you think the Packers and Favre will reunite or is the bridges too burned to be mended? I can't see Brett as a talk show guy or an announcer -- maybe on occasion as a special guest but thats it.
The highest honor the Packers can give a former player is to retire his jersey number, which they have done for five players in a 90+ year history (compare to the Bears, who have retired 14 numbers in the same period). Favre's #4 will almost certainly be retired someday, most likely after Thompson has left the organization. Whether he is asked to "serve with the team in some function" is unlikely in my opinion, and I doubt he would want to do that. I'm not really sure how common that is, and don't believe it is very common with the Packers. That said, one of the cool things about gameday at Lambeau is seeing old retired Packers on the sideline every game. They aren't always announced or recognized, but there are several there every game. I think Don Majkowski has been at about half the home games I've attended over the past 2-3 years, always prancing up and down the sideline waiving at the adoring fans. I don't expect Favre to do much of that. In fact, I would be very surprised to see Favre coming back for games and hanging with guys like Starr and Dickey at charity functions in Green Bay. I've got no problem with that, most of the old guys leave town and never come back but once a year or so at most.
Here's something I've wondered about: How many former players do you think live within a 2 hour driving distance of Lambeau?Do the Packers make an effort to reach out and encourage former players to attend home games/team events? Do they provide them travel and lodging accommodation or some other compensation?

I'm pretty sure Favre will be welcomed back and retire as a Packer just as soon as he's truly done in the NFL. (Which looks very much like the end of this season at this point.) Favre and Thompson will never be best buddies, but Thompson knows how much Favre meant to the Packer organization. Bridges were definitely burned on both sides during that ugly divorce, I think Thompson will hold out the olive branch once his career is finally over. (Favre for his part will probably have to show up with retirement papers prefilled.) Plus, I'm not really sure it will be entirely Thompsons' decision. Seems more like an ownership kind of thing, and that falls on Mark Murphy not Thompson.

I'm pretty sure Favre will be welcomed back and retire as a Packer just as soon as he's truly done in the NFL. (Which looks very much like the end of this season at this point.) Favre and Thompson will never be best buddies, but Thompson knows how much Favre meant to the Packer organization. Bridges were definitely burned on both sides during that ugly divorce, I think Thompson will hold out the olive branch once his career is finally over. (Favre for his part will probably have to show up with retirement papers prefilled.) Plus, I'm not really sure it will be entirely Thompsons' decision. Seems more like an ownership kind of thing, and that falls on Mark Murphy not Thompson.
Agreed...though, Murphy was the one who went down to offer him the marketing deal.I think they need to send an ambassador to talk to Favre...Ron Wolf. Still has ties to the Packers, still comes around, speaks with Thompson and the staff. His son works for Thompson as well.I think it will happen...not sure if it will ever be some one day "retire as a Packer thing"...just hoping fans finally get over it and quit the booing and stuff where some are still saying they don't ever want him coming back.Despite what some think of my opinion of him, I have never said any such thing like that.

Agreed...though, Murphy was the one who went down to offer him the marketing deal.I think they need to send an ambassador to talk to Favre...Ron Wolf. Still has ties to the Packers, still comes around, speaks with Thompson and the staff. His son works for Thompson as well.I think it will happen...not sure if it will ever be some one day "retire as a Packer thing"...just hoping fans finally get over it and quit the booing and stuff where some are still saying they don't ever want him coming back.Despite what some think of my opinion of him, I have never said any such thing like that.
He really burned a lot of bridges here though and there ar ea lot of people who can't stand him for going to the vikings because they view it as him just wanting to stick it to the pack and thinking he was bigger than the name on the jersey. I root for the Packers not for Brett Favre now because of his horrible antics to Deanna. So I could see a lot of people especially the older generation who won't ever clap for a weiner texting womanizer not wanting him back.

Here is the poster they will put up to announce the celebration of a great career.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying I agree with how he has conducted himself over the past years with the "I'm retiring, just kidding...no really, I'm retiring, juuuust kidding" crap, but Green Bay was ultimately the one who decided they didn't want him as their starting QB. Again, not saying I agree with Favre, or disagree with GB for going with Rogers, but it's not like Favre was wanted in GB and said, "Screw you, I'm out."

Playing for your arch rival shouldn't be sacreligious in today's sports world, no matter who you are. What if Emmit Smith went to the Redskins for his last few years instead of the Cardinals? Would that be similarly frowned upon? (I know, not apples to apples, but still)

I'm not saying I agree with how he has conducted himself over the past years with the "I'm retiring, just kidding...no really, I'm retiring, juuuust kidding" crap, but Green Bay was ultimately the one who decided they didn't want him as their starting QB. Again, not saying I agree with Favre, or disagree with GB for going with Rogers, but it's not like Favre was wanted in GB and said, "Screw you, I'm out." Playing for your arch rival shouldn't be sacreligious in today's sports world, no matter who you are. What if Emmit Smith went to the Redskins for his last few years instead of the Cardinals? Would that be similarly frowned upon? (I know, not apples to apples, but still)
but you are way totally oversimplifying it. he didn't just get booted -- he got booted after he acted bigger than the team and refused to comply with any very reasonable decisions about making a decision and then after the team said OK, then we're moving on, he'd come back and screw Rogers, and then he actually retired had a ceremony, etc., and then tried to come back way after that which would have screwed the team even worse(and they still had a horrible hangover that year he was with the jets) and then he was somehow mad that the Pack severed ties after that, like they'd done him wrong when it was the other way around, and went to MN to try and screw TT. That's not emmit plyaing for the Cards, sorry -- it's just isn't.

Favre has already softened his stance on the Packers and Ted this year. It was interview before the Packer game that he said it was a business decision that Ted made. He also said that Ted has built a very good team in Green Bay.

Once Brett retires the Packers are putting #4 up on the stadium, there is no doubt about it. IMO Brett will still do work for the Packers, we has said he loved the fans and organization. Both sides are over coming what was a tough spot and not handled well. Mark Murphy will do all he can to have Brett Favre market the Packers, he is no fool.

Issue would be fan reaction if Brett and Ted are at the 50 yard line together for a ceremony. They wont know if they should boo or clap and who for.

Favre has already softened his stance on the Packers and Ted this year. It was interview before the Packer game that he said it was a business decision that Ted made. He also said that Ted has built a very good team in Green Bay.Once Brett retires the Packers are putting #4 up on the stadium, there is no doubt about it. IMO Brett will still do work for the Packers, we has said he loved the fans and organization. Both sides are over coming what was a tough spot and not handled well. Mark Murphy will do all he can to have Brett Favre market the Packers, he is no fool.Issue would be fan reaction if Brett and Ted are at the 50 yard line together for a ceremony. They wont know if they should boo or clap and who for.
Agreed on Murphy...there was an article about him late last year I think, talking about all of the things he does to keep Green Bay in a position to keep pulling in more revenue and keep that team running. He was receiving very high praise from others around the league for what they did up there before him, and the things he has done in his time in GB.

Users who are viewing this thread