What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Peyton Break the TD record? (1 Viewer)

I have him. And as much as I'd obviously love to have him break the TD record, he broke the 3 week mark record because of his 7TD game. He then followed that up with 2 and then 3. There will be more games where he gets 2 or 3 rather than 7. It's way too early to say it's such a lock for him to break it.
Um, duh.

I have him. And as much as I'd obviously love to have him break the TD record, he broke the 3 week mark record because of his 7TD game. He then followed that up with 2 and then 3. There will be more games where he gets 2 or 3 rather than 7. It's way too early to say it's such a lock for him to break it.
he has 12

he needs 39 more

he has 13 games left

he has to average 3 a game. Now i still thik the odds are against him, he may not play all 13 games for one thing, but when you look at the numbers it is certainly very possible

B-Deep said:
Patsfan39 said:
he has 12

he needs 39 more

he has 13 games left

he has to average 3 a game. Now i still thik the odds are against him, he may not play all 13 games for one thing, but when you look at the numbers it is certainly very possible
All any QB has to do during the season is average 3 TDs/game and they'll finish with the 3rd highest TDs thrown in a season ever with 48.

Of course it's possible, but it's possible for any QB to do it in any given year. I wouldn't consider it even remotely likely until at least half the season is done and he's either on pace or ahead of pace. He's no more likely to do it after 3 weeks now needing to average 3/week than he was starting week 1 when he needed to, shockingly, average 3/week.

Last edited by a moderator:
B-Deep said:
Patsfan39 said:
he has 12he needs 39 more

he has 13 games left

All any QB has to do during the season is average 3 TDs/game and they'll finish with the 3rd highest TDs thrown in a season ever with 48.

Of course it's possible, but it's possible for any QB to do it in any given year. I wouldn't consider it even remotely likely until at least half the season is done and he's either on pace or ahead of pace. He's no more likely to do it after 3 weeks now needing to average 3/week than he was starting week 1 when he needed to, shockingly, average 3/week.
Does it change your calculus to consider that Manning has averaged 3 td's over a 16 game span before?

I say no. I think he will have about a 30% chance of it. Earlier this week I said 40%, but after thinking about it more I see a 3 TD average as more difficult than I originally thought. Once late Nov kicks in it may become more difficult to keep this pace. I think he'll finish with roughly 45.

I think it's obvious that if he and the OC wanted it, and didnt care about killing clock and the flow of the game, they could easily be far above the pace they're on now. Like someone else said, he's putting up these numbers in halves of games. If they were doing the Belichick thing and stomping necks no matter the score, he could get it.

I don't think he will, because they won't throw all game all season. He'll get tantalizingly close, though, and then sit the last week of the season.

still on schedule. 4 TD's today, despite sitting entire 4th qtr and enjoying 2 possessions missing due to special teams TD's. That gives him 16 in 4 games - a 64 TD/season pace.

Peyton needs 2.8 TD/game the rest of the way to tie the record.

I would love to place a bet on this right now. I'd put the house on yes. When a great QB gets a record within sight the record always gets broken. I think Peyton shatters it and ends up with 55.

Looking forward to getting 2 games of this offense vs the KC D. Hopefully Flowers is fully healthy for the showdowns. NYG were able to move it on KC in the 1st half taking advantage of the injured secondary. KC pretty much shut them down in the 2nd half though.

Manning's start this year is the most impressive QB feat I've ever seen. 367 yards a game, 16 TD and 0 INT.

I don't think he will because he's happy handing the ball off when they've got a big lead and sitting out the fourth quarter when they've got a huge lead. He could have the record if he wanted it and Bill Belichick was his coach.

I don't think he will because he's happy handing the ball off when they've got a big lead and sitting out the fourth quarter when they've got a huge lead. He could have the record if he wanted it and Bill Belichick was his coach.
He'd have already set the record at 55+ with the scenario you suggest.

50 touchdown passes will go down soon, by 2020 I would be surprised if 50 touchdown passes was still top 10.

Here is some stats to back it up

Here are some stats since the 2004 "rule change" about PI and other rule changes that have followed making the game tilted more towards the offense.

Before 2004 there were only 10 different times a quarterback threw for 4500 + yards in a season

Since 2004 there has been 24

Before 2004 only once did a quarterback throw for more than 5000 yards

Since 2004 it has happened 5 times

Before 2004 a quarterback had thrown for 40+ touchdowns 3 times

Since 2004 it has happened 6 times.

Times are changing and the hurry up offense is the new rage. This record is going to go down several times in the next decade.

Marino will be lucky if his 5000 yard season is even a top 10 all time by the end of this decade

Brady will be lucky if his 50 touchdowns are top 5 by the end of the decade.

Manning's start this year is the most impressive QB feat I've ever seen. 367 yards a game, 16 TD and 0 INT.
The perfect storm has blown into Denver. Welker arrives along with a candy ### schedule incl. the horrid NFC Least And AFC South. The only tough games will be Houston who will shoot themselves in the foot and New England. Only way he doesn't break the record is an injury to himself or one of the WRs. Welker is the most likely. Manning got Dallas Clark, Stokely and Collie killed stat whoring it up.

If he had a coach who left his QB in to continue throwing and running up the score when they're already ahead by 45 points in the 4th quarter, I'd say yes. But no coach is that big of a #####, right?

I'll be a lot more confident in guessing whether or not he has a shot after this next game against the Cowboys. Peyton should get plenty of chances to throw, but it's also the first time he'll face a legit pass rush coming after him from the blindside since Clady went down. If Peyton takes a lot of hits on Sunday, I think chances they keep throwing like they have been against the much tougher second-half schedule are minimal. If they do keep throwing like that after taking much abuse, I have doubts about his ability to last the year. If they protect him pretty well, I like his chances to keep it going for the rest of the year.

The perfect storm has blown into Denver. Welker arrives along with a candy ### schedule incl. the horrid NFC Least And AFC South. The only tough games will be Houston who will shoot themselves in the foot and New England. Only way he doesn't break the record is an injury to himself or one of the WRs. Welker is the most likely. Manning got Dallas Clark, Stokely and Collie killed stat whoring it up.
The use of this term makes you look very intelligent.

Two blown opportunities -- the drive where they ran it on 3rd down, and the pick. That's 2 passing TDs lost. The rushing TD as well...

Two blown opportunities -- the drive where they ran it on 3rd down, and the pick. That's 2 passing TDs lost. The rushing TD as well...
So he should have had 7TD in 3quarters?

Arwald said:
Otis said:
4 today seems weak given what he did in the first half. I was hoping for another 7 passing TD performance again after that.

with 4 TD's today, Manning is maintaining his 4 TD/game average. At this point, he needs to average 2.72 TD/game over the next 11 games to tie the record.

Still on pace for 64 TD this season.

Arwald said:
Otis said:
4 today seems weak given what he did in the first half. I was hoping for another 7 passing TD performance again after that.
that's what I was saying earlier - he is doing his damage in halves of games. If everything is clicking and the game plan is working, Manning gets his in the first half. If not, it comes in the 2nd. We still haven't seen 4 solid quarters of domination.

Love watching the greatest I've ever seen do it so flawlessly. And he's so damn like able even if you aren't a colt or bronco fan.

Love watching the greatest I've ever seen do it so flawlessly. And he's so damn like able even if you aren't a colt or bronco fan.
Got to enjoy him in College as well (went to Univ of Tenn 1994-99 - got a national title that last semester :thumbup: ). Bit of a goober (big surprise) but a good guy.... Used to come in the bar I tended at. Went sledding with him down the hill at College Park Apts once. He wore his helmet :lol:

with 4 TD's today, Manning is maintaining his 4 TD/game average. At this point, he needs to average 2.72 TD/game over the next 11 games to tie the record.

Still on pace for 64 TD this season.
Jags next week............................i dont see a 5-6 TD game. My guess is 2. Letdown week. 4 rushing TDs though for some guys

I never thought anyone would break Favre's career TD record, but Peyton is poised to do it next year (only 53 more to break it). That's less than 2 a game.

While that rushing TD cost him a passing TD - that was a thing of beauty. Very rarely is virtually everyone on the entire defense completely shuked, but they were. Awesomeness with extra awesome sauce.

While that rushing TD cost him a passing TD - that was a thing of beauty. Very rarely is virtually everyone on the entire defense completely shuked, but they were. Awesomeness with extra awesome sauce.
So the rushing TD doesn't count? I thought the record was TDs, not passing TDs. What is the magic number for total TDs then?

My favorite play in all of football is the naked boot with a slow QB. Thing of beauty!

Oh, and this is way too early to talk about this guys. It's only week 5. We should not be talking about this. It's wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread