What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Windows 10, anyone upgrading? (1 Viewer)

Anyone have issues with external HDs? Wanted to move some stuff around and took mine off the TV. Windows 10 can't access the disc. Some help thread online suggested reformatting but I don't want to lose the data. Will try and dig out an old laptop and see if I can move it somewhere else before the reformat.
Could be permission issues. Does the drive show up?
The drive shows up. Windows just can't access it, ie the files
Google how to take ownership of files/folders. That is likely the problem.

If you are running Windows 10 + Avast antivirus and you get the annoying "*Critical Error* Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in' message" ,uninstall Avast & the problem goes away. Don't forget to turn on Windows Defender unless/until you load some other antivirus program.

A windows update switched my log-in to use my microsoft/outlook account. Easy enough to change back in the settings, but, the nonsensical part about not being able to run certain programs while logged in under an outlook account is kind of baffling.

MILs laptop from 8.1 was pretty hosed. I occasionally clean it up for her and do backups, and even with no viruses, malware, disc errors, etc. the thing was still super clunky and would hang a lot. Also the built-in Beats Audio wasn't working in 8.1 and others reporting the same problem.

With a lot of work I was able to install Windows 10 without losing any programs or data. Some tweaks And it was rocking. Cleared up external audio too. Very happy and she is too.

My 89yr old grandfather upgraded from 8.1 to 10 by himself. I was leery of being an early adopter, but if he could do it alone...

Had to downgrade my wife's laptop. After about 10 minutes it would throw an error (something about a "conduit") and then the Start button/menu and search field would stop working. Found a number of articles online about the problem, but none of the solutions worked.

Had a hell of a time just getting "settings" to come up just to start the "revert" process, though because there seems to be no way to get there other than the Start button.
I had one that did something similar. I think it was a chipset drivers issue where something from 7 was funky. Did the refresh to start over with 10 fresh since I at least made it through the activation process and it runs like a champ now.

Fortunately I have a second hard drive on this system and just had to move the docs/iTunes over again.

The other system I upgraded went perfectly.

Upgraded a newer laptop from 8.1 to 10 a couple weeks ago and have found absolutely zero issues so far. I'm coming up to the deadline to rollback to 8.1 if I want, but I have zero interest in that!

am i correct that i cant pin my favorites to the left side in Edge like you could in IE? if so what an epic fail.

and save me the blah blah blah Chrome or Firefox stuff

am i correct that i cant pin my favorites to the left side in Edge like you could in IE? if so what an epic fail.

and save me the blah blah blah Chrome or Firefox stuff
I don't know if that's true or not, but is that really your deal breaker?
I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but after browsing that way for as long as I can remember it's pretty damn annoying to not have it as an option

I figured out I can get favorites in a drop down menu on the top but anything I had in folders still pops up on the right hand side. it was also nice to be able to click a Fantasy Football folder and have all my league sites open up in new tabs. maybe there's still a way to do it but so far I haven't figured it out

I have noticed one problem here lately now that football season has started. My bluetooth headphones connect initially no problem, but the sound is very crackly and I always have to rediscover them to connect them. I know it is not the headphones because they work fine with my tablet and my phone. Not a deal breaker, but rather frustrating.

The only issue i have is that ever since I upgraded I've been losing my FF matchups. Anyone else having the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed one problem here lately now that football season has started. My bluetooth headphones connect initially no problem, but the sound is very crackly and I always have to rediscover them to connect them. I know it is not the headphones because they work fine with my tablet and my phone. Not a deal breaker, but rather frustrating.
I have a similar issue with my BT mouse. It stops after a while, then I have to remove the pairing and find it, then pair again

Anyone else still waiting for the notification that your download of Windows 10 is ready? I signed up way back when, but still haven't gotten the download yet.

Feeling unloved by Microsoft.

Anyone else still waiting for the notification that your download of Windows 10 is ready? I signed up way back when, but still haven't gotten the download yet.

Feeling unloved by Microsoft.
I finally got that notice last night.

Seems pretty good. I wasn't one of the people that was unhappy with 8.1, but I do like the return of the start menu.

Any cool new stuff I should try out?

Decided to stop waiting and did the upgrade.

Went fine, except now I have no sound. Apparently the drivers for audio over HDMI aren't done. Guess I should have waited.
I'm assuming you went the your MB's/OEM's site and looked for the latest drivers for your system, correct? If not, give that a shot.

Decided to stop waiting and did the upgrade.

Went fine, except now I have no sound. Apparently the drivers for audio over HDMI aren't done. Guess I should have waited.
I'm assuming you went the your MB's/OEM's site and looked for the latest drivers for your system, correct? If not, give that a shot.
Homebuilt the computer myself. Drivers all updated to the manufacturer's latest on all the cards. Googled my monitor and apparently it's a common Win10 issue with no solution yet.
You can rollback to Windows 8 if you did the free upgrade.

Did it on my work computer today after I found that there was a workaround for the Cisco VPN issue. Upgrade went smooth and Cisco VPN works perfectly.

Actually the only issue I've had thus far is a weird intermittent RDP issue, but it hasn't bothered me enough to spend time diagnosing. Oh, and I had another odd issue with it at work where whatever profile settings save my default programs for certain file types were erased/lost. But I haven't bothered to figure out why and have been associating the correct programs to file types as needed.

Best windows in eons. But still weird issues here and there. Most annoying thus far is Bluetooth mouse and keyboard disconnecting regularly.

Otis said:
Best windows in eons. But still weird issues here and there. Most annoying thus far is Bluetooth mouse and keyboard disconnecting regularly.
Not having that issue. I'm running BT mouse, keyboard and headphones.

Otis said:
The best part is it's the expensive Microsoft keyboard and mouse. Windoze can't even get the basics right with their own crap. Same old MSFT. But otherwise it is a very nice OS.

Otis said:
The best part is it's the expensive Microsoft keyboard and mouse. Windoze can't even get the basics right with their own crap. Same old MSFT. But otherwise it is a very nice OS.
I've upgraded 5 PC/Laptops in my house and have not had any issues at all with any of them. But, yeah, this is the best Windows version so far.

ETA: Actually, my laptop I wiped clean and reinstalled after my display wouldn't come up after being woken up from sleep mode (on the initial upgrade). So, I guess i did have one minor issue but I had been debating to wipe it clean anyways even before I upgraded initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
I am sorry to hear that. Again I have upgraded three computers now and haven't run into that issue.

I am using this mouse/keyboard combo and it has worked beautifully. I know you work on the road a lot and I think it is ideally suited for travel. Very low profile but still has a comfortable setup that doesn't feel cramped...probably even for someone with your mutant style enormous hands.

No way to upgrade from Visio (on one of my older computers) to Windows 10, right?
Assuming you mean Vista, no, you would need to purchase a new license for Win 10 and do a clean install. However, it may be worth the ~$100, as you may find that it actually runs better than Vista on the same, old system.

Otis said:
I am sorry to hear that. Again I have upgraded three computers now and haven't run into that issue.

I am using this mouse/keyboard combo and it has worked beautifully. I know you work on the road a lot and I think it is ideally suited for travel. Very low profile but still has a comfortable setup that doesn't feel cramped...probably even for someone with your mutant style enormous hands.
Wow, exactly the one I'm using. It works great when it works, but whenever I wake my laptop from sleep, it sometimes is not connected. Then I need to go in and turn off blutetooth and then turn it on and it works. I haven't figured out what makes it work sometimes and not others. I tried tapping buttons on the keyboard and mouse first before I wake the computer so I know they're awake. Sometimes works, sometimes not. :shrug:

Thinking about just changing the power management settings on my laptop so it never sleeps when plugged in. Maybe that'll help

No way to upgrade from Visio (on one of my older computers) to Windows 10, right?
Assuming you mean Vista, no, you would need to purchase a new license for Win 10 and do a clean install. However, it may be worth the ~$100, as you may find that it actually runs better than Vista on the same, old system.
You may also be able to buy Windows 7 for ~$65 and then upgrade it to 10.

I did it this way with one of my laptops (bought this off eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371377370130&alt=web) and it worked well.

Otis said:

Wow, exactly the one I'm using. It works great when it works, but whenever I wake my laptop from sleep, it sometimes is not connected. Then I need to go in and turn off blutetooth and then turn it on and it works. I haven't figured out what makes it work sometimes and not others. I tried tapping buttons on the keyboard and mouse first before I wake the computer so I know they're awake. Sometimes works, sometimes not. :shrug:

Thinking about just changing the power management settings on my laptop so it never sleeps when plugged in. Maybe that'll help
Did you check to see if you jammed the keyboard because your forgot to wash your hands of all that creamy delicious Twinkie filling?

Otis said:

Did you check to see if you jammed the keyboard because your forgot to wash your hands of all that creamy delicious Twinkie filling?
Came SO close yesterday while at the supermarket to opening one of the two-packs and eating it right there. Decided I'm too fat.

Got a new desktop with Windows 10. Other than some frustrations with the interface, only really buggy thing I've hit is that using NVidia Surround to have a display span multiple monitors as one big display, the task bar is on the center monitor but the Start menu opens on the far left monitor. Saw others have the same issue, including people doing the same with AMD's equivalent display, Eyefinity

Have done about 10 different upgrades on laptops/desktops now with no issues.

Had a ##### of a time with an Intel Compute stick. Eventually got it but it still crashes when trying to install the first major update.

I am trying to download Windows 10 on a desktop and it has been stuck on Starting Download for 2 hrs. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread