What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World War II (1 Viewer)

I wonder why I never participated in this thread. I think I was Tim-ed out or something.

I'm currently developing a home school curriculum combining WW1 and 2. There's so much info out there, of course, but not much in bite sizes that a middle/high schooler can or would sift through. Almost nothing that's big picture.

Speaking of WW1, This is a terrific BBC series on the subject. It's similar to the WW2 set The World at War set (The World at War
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0071075/) narrated by Laurence Olivier. Amazon has a WW2 set I'm enjoying called Second War Diary - The War Day by Day (https://www.amazon.com/Second-War-Diary-Day/dp/B00KXSS326).

I listened to Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich last year. Very interesting.

Frank Capra's "Why We Fight" series, while mostly propaganda, is worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tremendous series on WWII on Netflix now:  Apocalypse.  Narrated by Martin Sheen.  Colorized film, none of it familiar.  Very graphic.

Tremendous series on WWII on Netflix now:  Apocalypse.  Narrated by Martin Sheen.  Colorized film, none of it familiar.  Very graphic.
Very good series. I've been really getting into learning about WWII lately, especially the Pacific since I didn't know as much about it.

An excellent 2 part series is called After Hitler that shows the reconstruction after the war with a lot of footage I've never seen.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Old men, bravely lived.

- This is just sort of a cool pic that I picked up from a Euro feed I follow.
When I was hot & heavy into WWII research, shortly after teh Band of Brothers explosion, I happened upon wildbillguarnere.com and their forums. At that time, Wild Bill's son Gino was running the site and a lot of the sons & daughters of Easy company vets would post there. One of my most favorite was Susan Smith Finn, daughter of Burr Smith. Burr was never depicted in the series and even mentioned much in the book but he was an integral part of Easy Company as evidenced by the respect the men had for him. Burr stayed active in the Army all his life eventually working on clandestine operations for the CIA in Laos and assisting the Hmong fight communist rule. After finishing his tour there in 1974 he came home to be assigned to the newly formed Delta Force and participated in the failed raid to rescue the Americans being held hostage in Tehran. If you asked any of the men he served with he was that alpha hero type that never asked for recognition but was always in the middle of the fight leading the way almost until the day he died in 1983.

In one of the letters Susan shared from her father he lamented spending so much time away from her and her siblings but he quoted Orwell, " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." He explained that there was only one thing he was ever good at and that was being one of those rough men. That quote always hung with me and really summed up my feelings about all the veterans that came out of WWII. So many went on to serve in Korea and even Vietnam, just amazing men.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burr_Smith

http://members.chello.nl/~p.vandewal/burr smith 3.htm

I wonder why I never participated in this thread. I think I was Tim-ed out or something.

I'm currently developing a home school curriculum combining WW1 and 2. There's so much info out there, of course, but not much in bite sizes that a middle/high schooler can or would sift through. Almost nothing that's big picture.

Speaking of WW1, This is a terrific BBC series on the subject. It's similar to the WW2 set The World at War set (The World at War
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0071075/) narrated by Laurence Olivier. Amazon has a WW2 set I'm enjoying called Second War Diary - The War Day by Day (https://www.amazon.com/Second-War-Diary-Day/dp/B00KXSS326).

I listened to Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich last year. Very interesting.

Frank Capra's "Why We Fight" series, while mostly propaganda, is worth watching.
 Please share any books that you loved on the subject. I can't get enough of them. 

"The old breed" by EB sledge is phenomenal. I've listen to that audio book 3 times. Ridiculously good.I've listen to that audio book 3 times. Ridiculously good.

"Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" was also great. 

Please share any books that you loved on the subject. I can't get enough of them. 

"The old breed" by EB sledge is phenomenal. I've listen to that audio book 3 times. Ridiculously good.I've listen to that audio book 3 times. Ridiculously good.

"Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" was also great. 
Try A Helmet For My Pillow. That's Leckie's story.

Also if you are into audio I'll recommend again Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armegeddon series for WWI and Ghosts of the Ostfront for WWII. Just phenomenal audio history. Blueprint for Armageddon is currently free on his website, everything else you can listen to free here. Can't recommend them enough.

Try A Helmet For My Pillow. That's Leckie's story.

Also if you are into audio I'll recommend again Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armegeddon series for WWI and Ghosts of the Ostfront for WWII. Just phenomenal audio history. Blueprint for Armageddon is currently free on his website, everything else you can listen to free here. Can't recommend them enough.
I tried helmet for my pillow but I didn't care for Leckie's writing style. Felt very smarmy and forced. 

I'll give the other two a shot, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

sobering realization:

How many World War II veterans are alive today?

Every day, memories of World War II—its sights and sounds, its terrors and triumphs—disappear. Yielding to the inalterable process of aging, the men and women who fought and won the great conflict are now in their late 80s and 90s. They are dying quickly—according to US Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, we are losing 372 veterans per day and only 620,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II were alive in 2016.
from http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/frequently-asked-questions.html

and if these numbers were as of the end of 2016, then we're already down another 50K or so for 2017.  :(

Maik Jeaunz said:
sobering realization:

from http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/frequently-asked-questions.html

and if these numbers were as of the end of 2016, then we're already down another 50K or so for 2017.  :(
Saw this last night, thought it was really well done https://vimeo.com/128373915

If you have the opportunity to be around a WWII vet (or any vet for that matter) listen. Ask them about their experience and just listen. Most of the WWII guys have never had the opportunity to tell their story. They have some incredible experiences we are losing very quickly. In another 5 years or so there won't be any left.

thx Andy. I'll be watching this

Anybody have some info or trustworthy links on "The Greatest Story Never Told"? One my students that loves history is pushing it really hard but it looks like it could be alt right Holocaust denier BS. Anyone?

My uncle was a flight officer who flew B-17s.   He was shot down over Leipzig, Germany by a Messersmith 163 Komet.  We have been able to confirm that the video at 1:40 in the attached link is of his plane being shot down.

Link
Wow on being able to find the video! Much respect for your uncle, Rover.  :thumbup:

One of my uncles fought in the Battle of the Bulge...had terrible nightmares until the day he died. :(

Another of my uncles was on a destroyer in the South Pacific, that got torpedoed and sunk...by the Australians. :doh:

Wow on being able to find the video! Much respect for your uncle, Rover.  :thumbup:

One of my uncles fought in the Battle of the Bulge...had terrible nightmares until the day he died. :(

Another of my uncles was on a destroyer in the South Pacific, that got torpedoed and sunk...by the Australians. :doh:
Damn Australians. 

sobering realization:

I've gotten to work with many WW 2 veterans over the last 10 years.  Sad that I don't get to see as many now. Some great stories. Just worked with one the other day who was shot in the neck in Italy by the Nazis and had to see a lot of his friends die. 

The Nazi Soviet Pact, Part 2

Unlike the British, the French were on very good terms with the Russians, and the diplomats were told to answer any questions. But the Russians were more interested in the British. They asked both the French and the British the following question: Germany had 200 divisions to send against the east. The Russians had 300 divisions, but many of these were ill-equipped. How many divisions would the British and French put on the field of battle?

The French answered instantly: they had 100 divisions prepared to rush to the defense of Poland. This answer was disingenous. General Gamelin, the commander of the French army, had no intention of leaving his protection of the Maginot Line, even when Poland was attacked (much more on this later.)

The British at first refused to answer the question. But when pressed, they finally revealed the shabby state of the British Army: they could field 2 divisions now, and 2 more later. The Russians were unimpressed by this answer. Stalin was filled with disbelief; he then asked again if Britian and France would pressure Poland to accept Russian aid; if not, how could the Russians come to the defense of Poland? The British wired this question back to Whitehall and they were told: stall. Don't answer.

At this point Stalin had had enough. He decided that what Britain and France really wanted was for Hitler to invade Poland and then keep invading Russia. The western powers wouldn't lift a finger, and they would watch gleefully while the two dictatorships tore each other apart. (In fact, this may very well have been Chamberlain's unstated idea.) Stalin decided to turn the tables on the Allies by trying to reach an agreement with Hitler. This was a catastrophic move on his part, possibly the worst foreign policy decision in history, which I will attempt to argue later on.
Just found this.  For a self-proclaimed amateur history expert, making a statement like this make me LOL.

I'm currently reading Shadow Divers about the scuba divers that ID'd a WWII German U-Boat off the coast of NJ.  In 1991, 250 feet down was the frontier of exploration and was really pushing the envelope.  Amazing that these UAVs can go down to 6000 meters. 
Mind listing some of your favorite WWII books?

I’ve read and loved most of the more common ones like The Old Breed and Pillow for my helmet. 

Uncle of one of my close friends finally returns after 73 years - Operation Market Garden.

His uncle’s remains were found very close to the last known whereabouts of my cousin Dave, who still remains MIA in Holland.

So happy for Phil and his family they finally have closure. Been speaking with Phil for nearly a decade about this day coming true and it finally has come.

RIP David Rosenkrantz

Respect. Salute 

https://youtu.be/HP1wfHnEnW4

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
Uncle of one of my close friends finally returns after 73 years - Operation Market Garden.

His uncle’s remains were found very close to the last known whereabouts of my cousin Dave, who still remains MIA in Holland.

So happy for Phil and his family they finally have closure. Been speaking with Phil for nearly a decade about this day coming true and it finally has come.

RIP David Rosenkrantz

Respect. Salute 

https://youtu.be/HP1wfHnEnW4
WOW! That's amazing after all these years. I'm still holding out hope they locate your cousin. With the upcoming 75th anniversary I'd think there is a dialed up focus on the events of WWII so hopefully that will shine the spotlight on more of these discoveries. Super cool and welcome home warrior, may you finally RIP.

I also really enjoy WW2. The weapons, the strategy, the stories, the battles.

While channel surfing, I always seem to end up at History Channel or Smithsonian or whichever other one has WW2 stuff.

Needs to be when I'm alone as no one else in my family appreciates this. 

Not sure what makes it so appealing to me. Was a horrific time for most people involved but maybe it's the fact that the US was victorious in the end?

.... not a fair comparison but the way I like re-watching that STL vs NE or ALT vs. NE Superbowl. (and I'm not very interested in re-watching NE vs PHI or NE vs NYG SB). 

Interesting reaction by our Russian friends today: their foreign minister says that DDay is  exaggerated; it had no decisive  impact on the outcome. 

This is nothing new of course. For 75 years Moscow has argued, and their people strongly believe, that they basically defeated Hitler single-handedly, that our role was minimal at best, that the pacific theater against Japan was a minor affair, and that the USA and England cynically waited for the result of the struggle between Russia and Germany before committing to a second front, and we only did so after Russia had done our dirty work for us. 

Interesting reaction by our Russian friends today: their foreign minister says that DDay is  exaggerated; it had no decisive  impact on the outcome. 

This is nothing new of course. For 75 years Moscow has argued, and their people strongly believe, that they basically defeated Hitler single-handedly, that our role was minimal at best, that the pacific theater against Japan was a minor affair, and that the USA and England cynically waited for the result of the struggle between Russia and Germany before committing to a second front, and we only did so after Russia had done our dirty work for us. 
And some of those same people argue that we waited too long to open up a second front and as a result millions of Russians died unnecessarily.

If there's on thing you can count on from a Russian it's duplicity.

And while it's true that the Germans weren't going to win in the East after 1942, they still weren't going to lose in the West unless it was done by the Western Allies.

The Soviets were never going to mount an offensive to "liberate" Europe.

And while it's true that the Germans weren't going to win in the East after 1942, they still weren't going to lose in the West unless it was done by the Western Allies.

The Soviets were never going to mount an offensive to "liberate" Europe.
That's an interesting thought. Liberate is probably not the word to use for what the Soviets had in mind, conquer? might be better? I don't know but the Soviets had no desire to give back territory they fought for. My point, I wonder...

If we did not open a second front, would the Russians have experienced success against Germany? You'd have to assume Hitler would have moved more troops into the Eastern campaign although given his physical state, I'm not sure how much longer he would have made it. Would Germany have finally disengaged with the Russians or would they have continued their maniacal campaign? Given that, would the Russians then go on the offensive and drive the Germans back or would they have sat back and licked their wounds? Some interesting scenarios.

Had we not opened up the second front, most of the German troops in Africa and Italy would have been in Russia.

At which point the USSR would more likely have been defeated much less have any chance at conquering Europe themselves.

On cbs this morning was a 96 y/o vet, the last living survivor of d-day. He never thought he'd be around for the 75th anniversary. He wanted to visit Normandy but couldn't afford it. A cafe he frequented here in N. CA started a fund that got him here. He told the story of asking the soldier next to him for a light for his cig and saw there was no head on him. That got him to run. He's publishing his book he's going to call The Luckiest Man In The World. 

On cbs this morning was a 96 y/o vet, the last living survivor of d-day. He never thought he'd be around for the 75th anniversary. He wanted to visit Normandy but couldn't afford it. A cafe he frequented here in N. CA started a fund that got him here. He told the story of asking the soldier next to him for a light for his cig and saw there was no head on him. That got him to run. He's publishing his book he's going to call The Luckiest Man In The World. 
He was the last surviving member of his unit, not of DDay

For those that are interested in reading the 82nd airborne perspective of the War, I highly recommend you check out my Dutch friend, Frank Ban Lunteren’s trilogy of the war through the eyes of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the famed Devils in Baggy Pants. I met Frank during my decades of research of my cousin Dave who was with the 504th (I company) and killed in Holland during Operation Market Garden. Very very well written.

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-van-Lunteren/e/B00NATXOEC%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

Users who are viewing this thread