What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you ever bench Antonio Gates? (1 Viewer)

gheemony

Footballguy
First, this is not rookie thread for over-reacting to the 1 for 10 performance Gates had last week. This is the first time I can remember that FBG does not have AG is not projected to be the #1 TE. So if you happen to be lucky and have both Gates and the player they have projected to be #1, do you sit Gates this week for the other guy?

Now, the difference in projections is less than a point, so maybe it's just a gut decision. I can say that my gut is a little nervous about Gates' matchup. The INDY D looks really good. They slowed down NE. They look like they have the speed to stay with Gates and Sanders gives them some thump to make Gates think twice about going down the middle. And the speed rush may cause another one of those games from Rivers (you know, the ones causing the "Phillip Rivers Sucks" thread).

I guess this question is really for Dodds. Would you really bench Gates in this situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was forced to bet on Gonzo, Winslow, or Gates this week, I would bet on Gates. He has more than 33% chance of coming out on top of this trio. Dodds is overreacting. The Chargers playing a tough defense should not affect Gates' outlook that much. If the Chargers are behind they will throw and look for Gates. We could have said the same about the Vikings' game (Chargers WERE behind), but that was a fluke. All good receivers have off games once or twice per year.

This is the first time I can remember that FBG does not have AG is not projected to be the #1 TE. So if you happen to be lucky and have both Gates and the player they have projected to be #1, do you sit Gates this week for the other guy?
Wow! I never look at projections before my lineups are set--just check for any real discrepancies after the fact. Surprised to see this. I actually have Gates on the bench this week in favor of the fellow projected below him--and might do it again in two weeks...

No.. .I have a Gates and someone dropped Winslow during his bye and I picked him up... he's just keeping the bench warm so no one else can have him.

It seems I bench Gates one week each year ...

during his bye. He plays all the other weeks.

Sanders can't match Gates size and quickness. He's a hard hitter who might take on Gates, but he's going to feel the effect too. Gates can shield him and catch the ball- he's the master at that, or beat him on the route. Gates will be fed this week. Sanders is also Indy's main cog in stopping the rush. You don't think he's going to hesitate on play fakes to Tomlinson a few times while Gates goes by him?

My opponent has Witten though, and I don't expect my usual TE advantage in pts, but Gates is still lone of the true no brainer starts in Fantasy

Last edited by a moderator:
Gates is one of 2-3 TE's you would never bench, despite the matchup. He is so skilled that he can dominate against anyone - as long as his LOUSY QB can get him the ball.

I have both Gates and Witten. We have to start a minimum of 4 receiver types with a max of 2 TE (3 WR and 1TE, or 2 WR and 2 TE). Needless to say I have the luxury of starting both Gates and Witten, and have done it all year. Nice complement to Reggie Wayne and Lee Evans/Donald Driver. If I had to pick a TE of the Two, it would most likely be Gates (as our league is not PPR and Gates is a better home run threat). Witten has had me some low point games as well, it just happens some times. If my league were PPR it would maybe change.

Probably doesn't help much if you are trying to figure out who to start...sorry.

dudaman said:
Gates is one of 2-3 TE's you would never bench, despite the matchup. He is so skilled that he can dominate against anyone...
The problem comes if you have more than one of the TE's that you 'would never bench'. :thumbup: This year I've considered Witten to be in that class; he's only a hair off Gates' numbers for the season in my league.

Never. Why wouldn't you try to trade Winslow/Witten? You could probably get a starter at another pos. for him.

Is it this week you are considering benching him? The Colts are a hurting team on defense - this is going to be a shootout and Gates stands to benefit greatly.

dudaman said:
Gates is one of 2-3 TE's you would never bench, despite the matchup. He is so skilled that he can dominate against anyone...
The problem comes if you have more than one of the TE's that you 'would never bench'. :confused: This year I've considered Witten to be in that class; he's only a hair off Gates' numbers for the season in my league.
Exactly. I have Gonzo and Gates. At the beginning of the season, Gonzo was not in the "would never bench category" for me, but look at him now"Gates: 47-649-5Gonzo: 52-615-4Not much of a difference.In my league we have TE slot and one WR/TE slot, so I have not traded Gonzo because I can, and do, use two TEs in the lineup at times. But this week, I am filling my two WR slots with Burress and Holmes and Holt gets the WR/TE slot. So there will only be one TE in the lineup this week.Given Rivers' struggles and Gonzo's hot streak, I am thinking about putting in Gonzo.

Recap: not the best week for TE scoring. ;)

Of the top ten, Winslow did well, as did Miller. Shockey took honors with his really good game vs Dallas. I did end up playing Witten--really liked his matchup, particularly with his performance at Philly the previous week and how he torched the Giants the first game this year; turns out he and Shockey reversed performances against each other's squads. In truth, I only played Witten after second guessing myself because I didn't have time to log on after Friday--but with Indy's typical performance vs TE's that only left a point on the table (two if you're in a ppr). At least there's that--you hate to buck the odds and get burned for it! :mellow:

I escaped with a W this week, despite Rivers' inability to get Gates the ball. Yes he was covered well (and no, I don't think he should've call that tipped ball in the end zone (isn't that face guarding?)), Rivers looks more and more like Bledsoe - like a giraffe lumbering through the wild. Let me take that back, Bledsoe had a much better/quicker release - Rivers takes forever to wind up and throw...by then, the opponenet knows exactly where tha ball is going.

But I digress - the point here is I still won't bench Gates - he's had too many good games in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread