What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR 2s, 3s and 4s with WR 1 potential (1 Viewer)

MyopiaBread

Footballguy
Just wanted to start a thread on WRs to target in dynasty formats that aren't considered WR 1s for fantasy now but have the potential to get there in the next 1-2 years (willing to hear arguments for players 3-4 years out too but it is tough to project that in my opinion) whether it is due to physical tools, situation or a combination of the two. If you'd like to rank the players you list from most to least potential that would be even better.

Some WRs that come to mind for me (in no particular order here):

Josh Gordon

Kenny Britt

Pierre Garcon

Thanks in advance!

Some names that come to mind:

Justin Blackmon

Josh Gordon

Michael Floyd

Alshon Jeffery

Nick Toon

Cordarrelle Patterson

Justin Hunter

Chris Harper

Da'Rick Rogers

Those guys kind of fit the general mold for a true #1 target.

There are others that I like such as Cecil Shorts, Andre Roberts, Rueben Randle, Markus Wheaton, and Josh Boyce. They have a lot of talent, but might work best as WR1B/WR2 options opposite another quality starter.

Is the question intended as which NFL WR 2's, 3's, and 4's could be their own team's top WR . . . or is it asking which players could end up as FANTASY #1 WR's?

Is the question intended as which NFL WR 2's, 3's, and 4's could be their own team's top WR . . . or is it asking which players could end up as FANTASY #1 WR's?
Just wanted to start a thread on WRs to target in dynasty formats that aren't considered WR 1s for fantasy now but have the potential to get there in the next 1-2 years (willing to hear arguments for players 3-4 years out too but it is tough to project that in my opinion) whether it is due to physical tools, situation or a combination of the two. If you'd like to rank the players you list from most to least potential that would be even better.

Some WRs that come to mind for me (in no particular order here):

Josh Gordon

Kenny Britt

Pierre Garcon

Thanks in advance!
:thumbup:

I like Floyd and Jeffery - and the payoff on those two might be sooner rather than later (like you could start seeing it this season). Meaning, you should try to get them soon.

Blackmon could be a buy relatively low (relative to where he was being drafted last season) - but that has some risk...and too much for me. His "knucklehead factor" could be much higher than we thought. Blackmon reminds me of Crabtree, only more talented...but with that KF risk and a weaker QB.

Randall Cobb (as much as it pains me to admit, as a Bears fan) could easily be - especially with Jennings' departure. I realize he's a borderline WR1 already, but may not be being values quite there yet.

TY Hilton. With Wayne aging and Luck developing. Could take a year or two, but does have a decent skill set and a great QB.

One that could be bought for peanuts is Brian Quick. Physical traits are there and all reports of late saying he has improved with the mental part

Stephen Hill could develop into a nice pairing with Geno. Pierre Garcon is a WR1 when on the field. I like the Toon call.

Robert Woods

The Da'Rick love in Buffalo is crazy. Woods is trusted, hasn't made many mistakes. Rogers is making some un-real catches but has been scolded in mini camps for lining up wrong and running wrong routes.

Danario Alexander (probably won me my championship last season), Vincent Brown (one of these two is likely not both), Garcon, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, Greg Jennings, Tavon Austin, Josh Gordon, Kendall Wright.

That's my main list of later round WR targets that I think could all hit pretty good numbers this season that based on their current ADP are all low end WR2s or WR3/4's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antonio Brown. Potentially.

... passing yard for the Steelers past 4 seasons.

Brown had 1,100 yards just two seasons ago.

Was on pace for 1,097 (thru 7) last year when he got hurt game 8.

Ben then got hurt, while Brown was out a few games. Ben (and Brown) were never the same the remainder of the season.

For him to add an additional 100 yards and a couple-three scores with Wallace now being gone, wouldn't surprise anyone.

That could be 1200 and 8. Which was #11 in non-ppr.

I'm looking at:

Tier 1:

Danario Alexander

Cecil Shorts

Josh Gordon

Kenny Britt

Sidney Rice

Cordarrelle Patterson

Pierre Garçon

Markus Wheaton

Tier 2:

Da'Rick Rogers

AJ Jenkins

Denarius Moore

Alston Jeffery

Michael Floyd

Brian Quick

Tier 3:

Nick Toon

Chris Harper

Charles Johnson

Reuben Randle

Jacoby Ford

Tommy Streeter

DHB, Luck/Indy will chuck the ball a lot again this year. I'm projecting around 640 passes. I think DHB takes over as the WR2 opposite Wayne immediately and pushes Hilton inside to the slot. With an elite QB on a pass happy offense DHB could breakout.

In three seasons in the league, tampa mike williams has two that were roughly 1000 yard/10 tds. his targets and receptions have been consistent all three years. After exploding onto the scene as a roookie, he took a step back as a sophomore, then had another excellent season last year when he had vjax to take pressure off him. He's a great red zone look, he has a running back who will keep red zone defenses from keying too heavily on him, and he's about to get a big time contract extension from a team that already invested heavily at the other wr spot. Any of these things could be a big uptick for williams' value: freeman develops, or vjax stumbles, or williams develops even further, or they get a new qb/glennon impresses.

In three seasons in the league, tampa mike williams has two that were roughly 1000 yard/10 tds. his targets and receptions have been consistent all three years. After exploding onto the scene as a roookie, he took a step back as a sophomore, then had another excellent season last year when he had vjax to take pressure off him. He's a great red zone look, he has a running back who will keep red zone defenses from keying too heavily on him, and he's about to get a big time contract extension from a team that already invested heavily at the other wr spot. Any of these things could be a big uptick for williams' value: freeman develops, or vjax stumbles, or williams develops even further, or they get a new qb/glennon impresses.
I can get behind Mike Williams... I think him and VJax stock is only up from where it was last season. I wouldn't be shocked if both of them put up 1,200 yards and 10+ TDs. The only difference being that Mike comes at less cost to you on draft day than VJax. VJax ADP right now is 4.02 compared to Mike Williams 9.07. Considering how close they were in stats last year that gap seems completely insane. Williams had about 350 less yards and one more TD. Freeman is in a 'make it or break it' season and I have a good feeling he makes it. I'm likely trying to draft him in every league and wouldn't mind pairing him with Williams late in the draft.

I like this call.

I know the OP phrased this kind of funny, but there are plenty of guys being drafted in the 20's and 30's that could easily crack the top 12, but they aren't young.

Steve Smith finished WR6 in 2011 on 128 targets. Last year he saw 138 targets but just didn't catch as many balls and his TDs dropped. Touchdowns are fluky. He could easily sneak back into the top 12 this year with a current price of WR26.

Hakeem Nicks finished WR12 in 2011 in just 15 games. He's actually a bit pricey for this, though, coming in at WR18.

Mike Wallace finished WR5 on just 98 targets and 60 receptions in 2010 and finished WR9 on 123 targets and 72 receptions in 2011. He's going WR23 right now.

Miles Austin was WR12 through the first half last year before the hamstrings got the best of him again. Supposedly they are working on strengthening his hamstrings this offseason (why didn't they do that last offseason?!). Even with Bryant, he could post top 12 numbers again.

Cecil Shorts is a guy I'm still not sure about, but it seems the potential is there.

I like the DHB call. He was trending up in 2011 but got derailed by injury in 2012. It will be interesting to see if he can keep developing or if he will stay as a decent #2 guy. This year will be pretty crucial for him, as the Colts should start seeking a Wayne replacement next year if they don't feel like they've got one on the roster at the end of the season.

Britt is also an obvious choice, but it hinges on so many factors. His healthy, his head, Locker's health, and Locker's ability/development.

I'm also on board with that Mike Williams call.

DHB, Luck/Indy will chuck the ball a lot again this year. I'm projecting around 640 passes. I think DHB takes over as the WR2 opposite Wayne immediately and pushes Hilton inside to the slot. With an elite QB on a pass happy offense DHB could breakout.
Maybe I'm underestimating DHB, but I think you're underestimating Hilton. He's insanely talented and can down a 1 yard pass into an 80 yard TD. If he can fix all those dropped passes, he could end up as the WR1 (fantasy-wise) on the Colts this season.

Maybe I'm underestimating DHB, but I think you're underestimating Hilton. He's insanely talented and can down a 1 yard pass into an 80 yard TD. If he can fix all those dropped passes, he could end up as the WR1 (fantasy-wise) on the Colts this season.
I like Hilton but think his skill set is more suited for a slot role. A very strong slot role. DHB gets a bad rep from early struggles in his career but many don't realize he's been steadily improving every season. I agree with FF Ninja that after 2011 he looked like he was about to get over the hump and polish his game. I think he could do that in Indy this year. Luck and Wayne are excellent resources for him IMO.

I like Hilton but think his skill set is more suited for a slot role. A very strong slot role. DHB gets a bad rep from early struggles in his career but many don't realize he's been steadily improving every season. I agree with FF Ninja that after 2011 he looked like he was about to get over the hump and polish his game. I think he could do that in Indy this year. Luck and Wayne are excellent resources for him IMO.
Let's not forget that Hilton had the worst hands in the NFL last year. We all know that DHB had to work on his hands when he was drafted, but I think he's made some strides. Whether Hilton can do the same has yet to be seen. Plus, DHB has a better WR frame. Sure, people who are pro-Hilton will scream "Steve Smith and Santana Moss" and yes, they are examples of short WRs, but it doesn't mean they didn't have a significant disadvantage to overcome. So far we know that Hilton is short, fast, and has bad hands. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Steven Smith is the needle in the hay stack.

Oh and believe me, as a Colts fan I hope he blows the roof off the place. As a Raider, I didn't see him as much as I would have liked so I'll reserve more judgement until the season. My observation was more on how well Hilton was.

The one thing that I believe will hurt them all, as the 2-headed TE situation that I think will have a much larger role this season.

First- I'm going to be a ##### and just name some of the guys I picked up this off season (or end of last season) with that same exact thought process in mind, 16 team ppr dynasty:

-Justin Hunter

-Darick Rogers

-Vincent Brown/DX

-Stedman Bailey (not so much WR #1 potential, but still loveeee upside with him possibly outshining Austin)

Other guys I liked (also targeted lol):

-josh gordon

- antonio brown

-cecil shorts

Some sleepers that could explode

Donald Jones

Da'Rick Rogers

Charles Johnson

Dwayne Harris

Leonard Hankerson

Brandon Lafell

Joe Morgan

I love DHB this year

AJ Jenkins and Vincent Brown are next on my list

then Brian Quick, Rueben Randle and Brandon Lefell are next.

I really feel DHB is going to be the #1 target (with a lot of talent) for the best young QB the league has seen in the last 15 years.

Dynasty owners, jump on board. He is going to see an upgrade in coaching, qb skill and surrounding talent. I could see Reggie Wayne mentoring this guy on how to be a pro which is something he has never received with his time in the NFL.

I don't see any reason DHB wont be in the top 15....yes top 15 is what I said!!!!!

Jenkins has the talent and should start seeing targets day one as a top target in a high powered offense. It sounds like he has taken the offseason very serious and wants to show off what he has. SF does spread the ball around a lot and will be a run first team but I still like his upside.

Vincent Brown - Love this dude. If he can stay on the field this year I think the sky is the limit and can break into the top 20. Phillip Rivers has been awful lately but his weapons weren't less than good, his oline sucked and the coaching staff was overwhelmed. Hopefully this year those issues have been addressed. Brown started coming on 2 years ago and then injuries held him back. I would like to see him healthy for a whole year (third year breakout candidate)

Brian Quick has the size and speed needed to be elite in the NFL. I am a Rams homer so some might disagree but Sam Bradford is a good qb and IMO is going to be a very good qb. His first year was going to be rough, the Rams acknowledged that when they draft him. They saw him as Vincent Jackson and VJAX started to take off a little after his rookie year. I think the Rams are going to have a lot of fast, shifty wr's but Quick is going to be the Big Time guy. Very excited to watch him grow into an NFL wide receiver.

Rueben Randle is #3 on the depth chart in New York but Nicks is always hurt and in the final year of a contract and is wanting to get paid big time and Victor Cruz is going down a route you don't go with Tom Coughlin (and I still don't think Cruz is that talented). Randle has very good size, talent and speed and looked good when given a chance as a rookie last year. I really like his upside and if a holdout or injury occurs this year could be a HUGE sleeper.

Brandon Lefell - Will he ever be what he can be? S. Smith is getting older, no competition and Cam is going to pass the ball. New offensive coordinator might finally play to his strengths. I really like his talent and situation. He just has to put it all together now.

In on DHB, but not buying AJJ yet and certainly not LaFell. As it was pointed out last off season, the plays LaFell got most of his receptions and yards on were broken plays. They don't scale that well, and he didn't exactly set the house on fire in his first year as a starter.

AJJ just got faint praise by Harbaugh - 'looking the best since he's been here' or words to that effect. Remember last year when he was a rookie it was not exactly praise he got for his effort. So the bar is not exactly high. We'll see if he can produce as the #2 WR in SF but realistically isn't he at best going to be the #3 option, even when Crabtree is back (and Boldin has moved on)?

Tampa Mike is also a good call, and I think Mike Wallace will enjoy the Florida climate much more than PIT's

Users who are viewing this thread