What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (1 Viewer)

Also agree it's good news. It's the shoe that had to drop before things could progress. I wished for less, but this is what I expected. As for 2020 he won't  play until week 9 or 10(I predict week 10 vs the Rams) but that gives him a few weeks to acclimate and be ready when it's time to make money and win leagues. I don't think it's unreasonable to think a guy who when we last saw him play a full season was putting up the most dominant 6 year stretch in I think ever could come back and be a top 20 WR the second half of the season so to me he's absolutely got value for 2020 but the negative is this is going to be a tough year to burn a roster spot for 8 weeks.
You assume he gets no additional suspension related to his pending civil lawsuit. Big assumption IMO.

Furthermore, at age 32, he will have not played in 1.5+ seasons and will never have played or practiced with whatever team he signs with unless he signs with Pittsburgh, Vegas, or New England, which won't happen.

I could see Seattle signing him in week 8 or a few weeks later if he gets additional games, just to have him integrating for the playoffs. It would be a gamble, but if he becomes a problem, his contract would be non-guaranteed, and they could release him with no penalty, assuming he would sign for a low dollar contract with no/limited guarantees in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
You assume he gets no additional suspension related to his pending civil lawsuit. Big assumption IMO.

Furthermore, at age 32, he will have not played in 1.5+ seasons and will never have played or practiced with whatever team he signs with unless he signs with Pittsburgh, Vegas, or New England, which won't happen.

I could see Seattle signing him in week 8 or a few weeks later if he gets additional games, just to have him integrating for the playoffs. It would be a gamble, but if he becomes a problem, his contract would be non-guaranteed, and they could release him with no penalty, assuming he would sign for a low dollar contract with no/limited guarantees in the first place.
I think people are misinterpreting any possible future suspension he has relating to the civil case. NFL has investigated that already and based on memo NFL put out it's my believe if new information comes to light in that lawsuit, which may not even seen the light of day, then they may suspend him further.

I can't prove to you that he's not lost a thing. You and others can say that all day but it's all talk. As I've said before Tom Brady pines for him for a reason.And when I say he should be a good bet for top 20 WR in the second half of the season some context should apply. Last year he'd need to be around 14'ish PPR PPG. So yes I will continue to say he's a good bet for AT LEAST that, but it's all talk now as well. Can't wait to see it unfold.

I may be alone on this but I don’t think he gets signed this year period. It’s one thing to be a prima Donna “me me me”-type being a possible cancer in the locker room. It’s an entirely different situation when everyone on a team has to follow strict masks/social distancing, etc. and you have a decision on whether to bring this “me me me” guy into your locker room as a real medical risk to your team’s season. If I was a GM I wouldn’t do it....

I may be alone on this but I don’t think he gets signed this year period. It’s one thing to be a prima Donna “me me me”-type being a possible cancer in the locker room. It’s an entirely different situation when everyone on a team has to follow strict masks/social distancing, etc. and you have a decision on whether to bring this “me me me” guy into your locker room as a real medical risk to your team’s season. If I was a GM I wouldn’t do it....
Veteran help... helps. He’s gonna be signed. Only a matter of time. Problem will be where. I hope not Seattle for my keeper Metcalf sake. 

One year contract. 3.35 base salary. 6.65 in incentives which includes no off field incidents, counseling each week, on time for each practice and game. Other things come to light that wasn’t disclosed immediate cut. 

Ravens coach John Harbaugh didn’t rule out signing free agent Antonio Brown.

Harbaugh was responding to Lamar Jackson lobbying the team to add Brown. “I respect Lamar for feeling that way,” Harbaugh told reporters. “We’ll look at any players at any time.” With Brown’s league standing resolved, interest could start to heat up. Brown can serve his suspension as a free agent or be stashed if he's signed. The Ravens, Seahawks, and Bucs remain potential landing spots.

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Baltimore Sun

Jul 31, 2020, 7:02 PM ET

Ravens coach John Harbaugh didn’t rule out signing free agent Antonio Brown.

Harbaugh was responding to Lamar Jackson lobbying the team to add Brown. “I respect Lamar for feeling that way,” Harbaugh told reporters. “We’ll look at any players at any time.” With Brown’s league standing resolved, interest could start to heat up. Brown can serve his suspension as a free agent or be stashed if he's signed. The Ravens, Seahawks, and Bucs remain potential landing spots.

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Baltimore Sun

Jul 31, 2020, 7:02 PM ET
That would be an exciting signing for the fans. 

Seattle would be better for his numbers, but if ends up there or in Baltimore, both teams offenses are going to be incredibly difficult to deal with and they're both easy Super Bowl contenders.  Would be fun to watch.

ANTONIO BROWNWR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Brady Henderson reports the Seahawks are "monitoring" free agent WRs Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon.

Brown has been suspended for eight games, which gives teams a rough timeline of when they can expect him to be on the field. With that said, he's eligible to be suspended for additional games following the outcomes of his Florida cases. Meanwhile, Gordon is waiting for commissioner Roger Goodell to reinstate him. The Seahawks are in need of a third receiver behind Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf, and both of these free agent receivers have the potential to be a lot more than a third option if things click. Of course, signing either receiver would be a gamble. Gordon, in particular, has expressed clear interest in joining Seattle for the 2020 season.

RELATED: 

Josh Gordon

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 3, 2020, 8:43 PM ET

A Miami judge sanctioned unsigned FA Antonio Brown and entered a default judgment against him. 

Circuit Court Judge Beatrice Butchko struck down Brown's counterclaims in a lawsuit alleging he trashed a luxury condominium. Butchko said Brown's "conduct exhibited an intentional delay tactic, a pattern of refusal to follow rules, and established a lack of good faith." It's yet another legal blow for Brown, who faces an eight-game suspension that would begin Week 1 if a team signs the wideout. Whether his latest legal setback will affect his suspension status remains to be seen. The Seahawks reportedly have interest in Brown. 

SOURCE: Daniel Wallach on Twitter 

Aug 4, 2020, 9:40 AM ET

A Miami judge sanctioned unsigned FA Antonio Brown and entered a default judgment against him. 

Circuit Court Judge Beatrice Butchko struck down Brown's counterclaims in a lawsuit alleging he trashed a luxury condominium. Butchko said Brown's "conduct exhibited an intentional delay tactic, a pattern of refusal to follow rules, and established a lack of good faith." It's yet another legal blow for Brown, who faces an eight-game suspension that would begin Week 1 if a team signs the wideout. Whether his latest legal setback will affect his suspension status remains to be seen. The Seahawks reportedly have interest in Brown. 

SOURCE: Daniel Wallach on Twitter 

Aug 4, 2020, 9:40 AM ET
Doesn't his 8-game suspension start Week 1 whether he is signed or not? I thought it was specified that he would miss the first 8 weeks of the season (9 if the team that signed him had a bye in that time)?

Yes, that is correct. I have no respect for any team that brings this guy on, though.
" The NFL has confirmed to PFT that, indeed, the suspension will last through Week Eight (if not signed) or his team’s eighth game (if signed)."

Unless I’m mistaken, the NFL still hasn’t finished investigating accusations made by his former trainer? This, on top of the 8 game suspension. 

I believe his new nickname should be "loose cannon".  Strange thing about him is that all those early years in Pittsburgh I never viewed him as such.  I suppose the Steelers did a good job at hiding most of it.  Personally I believe if he gets another chance it will be his last one.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Antonio Brown’s eight game suspension could be extended if the league finds new evidence in his pending civil suit.

Brown has a September 15 hearing for allegations made against him by his former personal trainer. His current suspension was for two separate personal conduct violations, but the NFL is still monitoring this one. It’s a reminder that Brown has legal hurdles to clear before teams consider signing him. Interest in Brown may not pick back up until after his suspension clears in Week 9.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Aug 28, 2020, 4:30 PM ET

It's been awfully silent form the AB camp lately.....wonder if something is in the works here for a signing.
I would think that teams with hopes and aspirations this season would wait to see both how their seasons go early on and what roster needs they have before wanting to sign AB. Plus I think some teams want to see what else might be coming in terms of additional discipline and whether Brown can keep quiet while he serves his suspension.

Haven't been keeping up with any NFL news during this offseason.  Is Brown's suspension being served while he is not on any roster?  Or does he have to be signed and then the suspension starts?

Haven't been keeping up with any NFL news during this offseason.  Is Brown's suspension being served while he is not on any roster?  Or does he have to be signed and then the suspension starts?
He is serving the suspension not on a roster and could play in Week 9 (assuming there aren't any other things the league decides to extend the suspension for).

Plus I think some teams want to see what else might be coming in terms of additional discipline and whether Brown can keep quiet while he serves his suspension.
Yup totally agree, 0% chance players and maybe some team staff aren’t telling him to shut up if he wants to be playing football in November. 

Honestly good for him he’s listening.  Hope it continues.  Was getting hard to watch there for a bit and just sad.

Is it still the case where if he is signed after week 1 that his contract/salary are not guaranteed if he is released?
Correct.  Which all but guaranteed no team would sign him prior to week 1.  It may not even make sense for any team to sign him until mid-season/his suspension is almost over.  Why take the bad press / potential headache and embarrassment unless your team is in the payoff hunt and AB stays out of the news for another two months?

Is it still the case where if he is signed after week 1 that his contract/salary are not guaranteed if he is released?
As far as I know, only players on Week 1 rosters have their salaries guaranteed, and this year they added a COVID clause . . . players only get guaranteed money for the number of games their actually team plays.

That being said, AB and his agent would be foolish to sign anywhere and not have his 2020 salary be guaranteed. It will be interesting to see if he could finagle more than an 8 game contract.

Latest On Antonio Brown

A Florida judge has ordered Antonio Brown to turn over text messages and other evidence pertaining to a woman who has accused him of rape and sexual assault in a civil suit (Twitter linkvia Tom Pelissero of NFL.com). At the same time, the judge refused to mandate a psychiatric evaluation for Brown. 

The free agent wide receiver has seven games to go on his eight-game ban from the NFL. That suspension stems from two separate and unrelated incidents and the league has indicated that Brown could face additional discipline for any new evidence that may emerge.

It’s not a given that Brown will get an opportunity to return to the field upon reinstatement. Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson and Seahawks star Russell Wilsonboth lobbied for Brown this summer, but both clubs ultimately decided to pass on him. For what it’s worth, Ravens head coach John Harbaugh told reporters in July that he’s willing “look at any and every player” and that Brown is “no exception.”

Over the course of his ten-year career, Brown tallied 841 receptions for 11,253 yards and seven Pro Bowl appearances. Not long ago, Brown was regarded as a surefire Hall of Famer and one of the game’s most dangerous offensive talents. At this point, no one would be surprised if the 32-year-old never plays again.

Any real reason Brown is trending as one of the most added FA in Yahoo leagues right now?

It's too bad you can't stash him in your IR slot on Yahoo...I picked him up and tried, then dropped him.

Texans and specifically the HC/GM realizing maybe they should have paid Hopkins what he deserved. He's trying to fix the damage he's caused.

Lawyer for AB withdraws from representing him in civil case

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, Carson Hancock withdrew from representing Brown in a civil lawsuit filed by Britney Taylor last year alleging she was sexually assaulted by Brown. Hancock cited “irreconcilable differences” with Brown as the basis for his withdrawing from serving Brown’s counsel.

Brown is facing a Wednesday deadline from the judge to produce text messages and additional evidence for the case. Brown has also countersued Taylor for defamation and interference.

Lawyer for AB withdraws from representing him in civil case

According to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, Carson Hancock withdrew from representing Brown in a civil lawsuit filed by Britney Taylor last year alleging she was sexually assaulted by Brown. Hancock cited “irreconcilable differences” with Brown as the basis for his withdrawing from serving Brown’s counsel.

Brown is facing a Wednesday deadline from the judge to produce text messages and additional evidence for the case. Brown has also countersued Taylor for defamation and interference.
Well that sounds like there is no chance he  signs this year, which also means the chances of him NEVER playing an NFL snap is very high.

What a dumb###

As a Bills fan, it’s crazy to think back on when the Bills almost traded for him before Brown nixed it and trashed them. Bills got mocked relentlessly for it (by some) and here we are just a couple of years later and their paths couldn’t have gone much further in the opposite directions. 

Well that sounds like there is no chance he  signs this year, which also means the chances of him NEVER playing an NFL snap is very high.

What a dumb###
I don't know how much of it is dumb### vs. he's genuinely mentally unbalanced.  And this is coming from a guy who traded away Julio Jones for him straight up a couple of years ago.

Green Bay makes sense.  Brown probably wouldn't like those brutal winters in Green Bay however.  Baltimore, Philly, New Orleans and Seattle would be good choices.

ETA:  Indy would be a good choice also, but I don't think Ballard would do that. 

As I opened this thread to see what was up, I only half kiddingly said to myself "What, did he actually kill someone now?"
Thought he retired (again) in July?

Fully expecting him to be doing 3am infomercials next year ("Get jacked with AB's INSANE noXplode POWDER SUPPLEMENT!" Narrator: Not available in stores but order now and we'll include this home cryogenic chamber.)

Users who are viewing this thread