What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (2 Viewers)

He's been cook'n lately.

Maybe this is the reason.

Matt Harmon posted this a few days ago.

----------------

Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB Dec 21
Brandin Cooks got so much better when the Saints started just letting him be a deep threat instead of pigeonholing him as a No. 1 WR.
I read that as "they're pigeonholing him as a deep threat". I'm a bit worried about him in Dynasty. He's basically DeSean Jackson. That can be great, but can also lead to a lot of stinkers. I like more consistency in my players. If he's just focussed on deep balls, he'll be easier for a team to start shutting down every few games or so. I'm worried if I should use him to target an Evans or Watkins. I'll be interested to see the startup dynasty ADPs when they start coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been cook'n lately.

----------------

Brandin Cooks got so much better when the Saints started just letting him be a deep threat instead of pigeonholing him as a No. 1 WR.
I read that as "they're pigeonholing him as a deep threat". I'm a bit worried about him in Dynasty. He's basically DeSean Jackson. That can be great, but can also lead to a lot of stinkers. I like more consistency in my players. If he's just focussed on deep balls, he'll be easier for a team to start shutting down every few games or so. I'm worried if I should use him to target an Evans or Watkins. I'll be interested to see the startup dynasty ADPs when they start coming out.
DeSean Jackson is pretty good when he's on but Brandin is not DeSean in that they actually use him in the RZ.

He is not just a deep ball threat but the Saints aren't forcing #1 WR role on his frame.

Tavon Austin finally started breaking out this year and he doesn't have Brees at QB.

I like where Cooks is right now and the role he's in.

He's been cook'n lately.

----------------

I'm a little confused by this... Soooo, when the Saints were "pigeonholing" him as a #1, they sure as hell weren't targeting him as a #1. He only had one double digit target game this season prior to week 15. So they will more heavily target a non-#1 option?

He's been cook'n lately.

----------------

I'm a little confused by this... Soooo, when the Saints were "pigeonholing" him as a #1, they sure as hell weren't targeting him as a #1. He only had one double digit target game this season prior to week 15. So they will more heavily target a non-#1 option?
Look at how they tried using him last year when he was a rookie.

They began by heavily targeting him.

---------------

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16731/year/2014/brandin-cooks

First 5 games:

- 43 targets or 8.6 targets per game

They scaled back his useage mostly due to the fact he wasn't really effective getting that many targets.

- 255 yards and 1 TD on the 43 targets in those first five games or 51 yards per game and .20 TDs per game on 8.6 targets

After that they chopped back his role and gave him less targets but his production increased.

Next 6 games before he broke his hand:

- 28 targets or 4.6 targets per game

On those targets over the final 6 games he played he produced:

- 295 yards and 2 TDs or 49.16 yards per game and .33 TDs per game

So that is less than 2 yards less per game and .133 TDs more per game on 3.94 less targets per game in his rookie season when they were trying to figure out his role.

This year they were re-evaluating their WR corps and the roles.

At some point this year they made a conscious effort to make Cooks a deep scoring threat.

Over the first 7 games Cooks caught 1 TD.

Over the last 8 games Cooks has caught 8 TDs .

They have increased his overall targets this year but obviously something happened near the halfway point just like his rookie season but this time they must have made the conscious decision to 'scheme' him into the role he should have had all along as a deep ball scoring threat.

Bill Belichick saw something special in him during the preseason.

“I’m glad we don’t have to play him twice a year, he’s not in our division,” Belichick said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “He’s a really good player.”

Brees and Payton are back for next year, so the threat of a rebuild is gone for next season. I'm excited to see this guy progress.

Brees and Payton are back for next year, so the threat of a rebuild is gone for next season. I'm excited to see this guy progress.
Yep. Nice turn of events. Especially if they stay committed to Ingram getting the lionshare that includes passing downs.

Oddly enough, he was #12 in both my ppr and nonppr.

Antonio Brown's 2nd season, age 23: 3 100 yard games, 2 TD's, 55.6% catch rate.

Brandin Cook's 2nd season, age 22: 4 100 yard games, 9 TD's, 65.1% catch rate.

It seemed like Brees missed him on a ton of deep throws this year too. I'd have to go back and look at how many exactly. Should keep Cooks floor as a high end WR2 next year.

Do you guys still disagree with me that he can become Antonio Brown in a couple of years?
Yeah you're logic was bad. He's made strides though and keeping the offense the same with the same QB will help him get better next year.

Do you guys still disagree with me that he can become Antonio Brown in a couple of years?
I'd be a bit worried when Brees is gone. I like him, he absolutely was a big part of the one league I won (total points - bigger prize, lost championship due to OBJ suspension). I kept OBJ, picked Julio 1, Cooks 2 and the last half of the season, it was an easy 70+ points from the 3 of them. Throw in Walker/Crabtree/Ertz, and I was getting 90ish points, which is huge to overcome the crap fest that was RBs this year.

I don't know if he'll be Brown though. One thing I noticed (outside of the Carolina game with the long TD) was that he could get shut down. Atlanta was great against WRs and I was tempted to sit him in week 17 and I should have. He definitely still has games where he can be shut down. I don't know if he has that OBJ/Julio/Brown (my top 3) ability to get numbers if he gets targets. Maybe it is just lack of targets because Brees can use other targets if he feels Cooks is covered.

That said, he is still very young and Antonio wasn't Antonio in year 2 either. He could be a value next year. I think unless you owned him and saw his second half, you might not think of him as a potential top 10 WR. He might be a little undervalued, especially if they draft a decent WR to replace Colston.

Arrow points up except for the situation at QB. Good for now but once Brees goes, if they don't have a stud QB, he goes from starting FF WR to little fast ham and egger like Tavon Austin. Or see John Brown without Carson Palmer, or Antonio with backup QBs. He is reliant on QB.

lod01 said:

Arrow points up except for the situation at QB. Good for now but once Brees goes, if they don't have a stud QB, he goes from starting FF WR to little fast ham and egger like Tavon Austin. Or see John Brown without Carson Palmer, or Antonio with backup QBs. He is reliant on QB.
Brown was really hurt by the QBs, but I think the Pittsburgh backup QBs were just awful. I would hope the starter in NO would be better than that and they should be. That said, I think Cooks is a lot more talented than Austin and Brown as a WR (Austin was like Ginn even though he was a 1st rounder, drafted for speed and returns, not just pure WR talent). I think Cooks would do better than both of those guys and better than Brown with atrocious QBs, but I'd say he won't be WR1 material like I think he can be the next year+(?) with Brees. I still think he be in that bigger pool of potential WR2s.

It is absolutely maddening owning this guy. Another awesome 40 some yard performance. I'm sure anyone that doesn't own him thinks he would be great to have. I can tell you it is not., never again

It is absolutely maddening owning this guy. Another awesome 40 some yard performance. I'm sure anyone that doesn't own him thinks he would be great to have. I can tell you it is not., never again
Outside of Brees no one on this team is consistent it's been that way all season.

Tex

I'll just DM you and let you know the weeks he plays me.  He scores 90 yard tds every time I'm up against him.

Must be johnny decoy today.  Of course I have M Thomas on the bench. FML.  For those that need to see my roster I started Cooks/Evans/Jordy and Smallwood in the Flex.

49 points scored and Cooks didn't see one target. On the surface that looks terrible but Brees did only throw it 36 times so it's not like he was throwing all over the place. Still concerning.

49 points scored and Cooks didn't see one target. On the surface that looks terrible but Brees did only throw it 36 times so it's not like he was throwing all over the place. Still concerning.
Even if Brees threw 10 passes, at least 1 should have been thrown towards a playmaker like cooks. This games was close the entire first half and within 2 scores during part of the 2nd half. We can chalk it up to a dud game, but Brees has been looking his way less and less as Thomas has stepped up. One of the more frustrating FF players to own the last 3 seasons.

Milkman said:
Cooks, imo, is best served moved around and getting used in the slot. unfortunately, the slot is Snead's livelihood. cooks disappears too often in games to be as valued as people think. Thomas has emerged and Coleman is a reliable redzone target lately too.

I'm afraid I missed the window to sell Cooks. I tried to throw him in a package deal as the best player coming from my end recently and it was turned down. I hate having to rely on such streaky production. 

Cooks may be the only WR that could possibly benefit from Brees retiring. Yet to see double-digit targets in a game thsi season, and 0 targets against the 4.5 CBs in LA is unbelievable.

I won today in spite of his goose egg, but I'm really nervous about starting him in the playoffs come week 14. The minute you bench him, he scores 30. But he can just flat out kill you most weeks.

Second that thought.  Has me worried a whole lot.
There is really not much we can do. If you drafted him you like we did sell in the second or third round. He's my wide receiver 3 behind Evans and Jordy.  But I definitely don't have anyone else on my team with his upside as a wide receiver 3. He's plastered into my starting lineup until the end of the season like it or not.  

m thomas is #7 wr in ppr
#1 you quoted a post from the 18th

#2 except for Brees they are all still inconsistent  

#3 it's a crap shoot and you are praying that your player is in the game plan

#4 Owning anyone outside of Brees will drive you mad as you lose game because you played them and the blew up on your bench

# 5 his ranking has nothing to do with consistency 

Tex

#1 you quoted a post from the 18th

#2 except for Brees they are all still inconsistent  

#3 it's a crap shoot and you are praying that your player is in the game plan

#4 Owning anyone outside of Brees will drive you mad as you lose game because you played them and the blew up on your bench

# 5 his ranking has nothing to do with consistency 

Tex
wrong on so many levels.

Cooks may be the only WR that could possibly benefit from Brees retiring. Yet to see double-digit targets in a game thsi season, and 0 targets against the 4.5 CBs in LA is unbelievable.
He killed me yesterday.  I lost on a tie breaker.  I should still be solidly in the playoffs but he isn't giving me warm fuzzies.  Even worse, I could take his erratic play as my flex player but after losing A.J. Green he is now someone I need to count on at WR.  Hurry back A.J. Green.

This gives an explanation.

Go to the link for the entire article and to see the photos.

The good news is that with the Saints running up 555 yards on offense and 49 points, teams won't sell the farm to stop Cooks or they will risk similar results.  Er. that is assuming rational coaching,  At some point there is a law of diminishing returns so look for a bounce back game this week.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_3654b8b4-b5ec-11e6-923a-676a7996fb0e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

No Cooking: The Saints gained 555 yards on Sunday, which should put them above any second guessing, but that isn't the world we live in. Brandin Cooks wasn't targeted during the contest, which has led to a lot of chatter and conspiracy theories popping up on Monday. So, it's worth looking at why that happened.

It's not complicated: The reason Cooks wasn't targeted, for the most part, is because the Rams worked to take him away. He drew the star treatment throughout a good portion of the game, and Brees used the other guys on the field to move the ball. Especially early in the game, New Orleans moved Cooks around the field, possibly to help open him up, but the coverage stuck to him.

A solid pass rush and the fact the team didn't take a lot of shots down the field also played a part in limiting some opportunities. There were a few times when Brees could have gotten the ball to him, as you'll see below, but in all but a few instances pointing those moments out it's picking nits -- especially since Brees was still completing passes.

New Orleans moved the ball and scored points. It didn't show up in the stats, but Cooks played a part in that by opening things up for other players. There's no conspiracy here. It's just how the game played out.

Note: Cooks is the circle. The square is where the ball went.

The first four routes Cooks ran showed how Los Angeles planned to defend him. You can see here that he's drawing safety help on nearly every play, which is helping create more favorable matchups for his teammates.

Cooks coming out and saying he's not happy with his role. I don't blame him. 

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9404/brandin-cooks
There is no I in team. 

He drew coverage and the rest of the team benefitted. He should be happy with the W, the paycheck and the fact that his role that day was to help draw coverage away from Snead, Thomas and Coleman. 

I never like reading selfish quotes from players after a W.  squeaky wheel will likely get the grease today, but it's a bad look to complain about your role with a team after win. 

Maybe if they'd lost he would have a more valid point - like, "I needed to do more to contribute to this offense today, throw me the damn ball." kind of thing - I could get behind that. 

But after a win? Sounds like a me-first guy. I'm not saying he is or ain't, I'm just saying what it sounds like. 

There is no I in team. 

He drew coverage and the rest of the team benefitted. He should be happy with the W, the paycheck and the fact that his role that day was to help draw coverage away from Snead, Thomas and Coleman. 

I never like reading selfish quotes from players after a W.  squeaky wheel will likely get the grease today, but it's a bad look to complain about your role with a team after win. 

Maybe if they'd lost he would have a more valid point - like, "I needed to do more to contribute to this offense today, throw me the damn ball." kind of thing - I could get behind that. 

But after a win? Sounds like a me-first guy. I'm not saying he is or ain't, I'm just saying what it sounds like. 
While I do agree with this, aren't alot of contracts negotiated to be incentive based (ie # of catches, tds, yds, etc.) to some degree. Maybe he feels slighted towards his contract. Also, when it comes to the nfl, most of the wr1 have a similar attitude when they feel they are not getting the ball. 

Nfl.com article about trade rumors. He likely feels he needs to showcase his talent to get a good deal with his new team next year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750224/article/brandin-cooks-could-be-at-center-of-offseason-trade-talks

I don't blame him for speaking up after a 49 pt 500+ yd offense in which he didn't get one touch or look.

Cooks is too small to be a true number 1.  The emergence of Thomas will only help him in the long run, since that will make it easier for him to get loose deep, but like many diva WRs, he's pitching a fit.  It's one freaking game.  He averaged 7.5 targets in their first 10 games this season, which is a lot for a guy his size.  

While I do agree with this, aren't alot of contracts negotiated to be incentive based (ie # of catches, tds, yds, etc.) to some degree. Maybe he feels slighted towards his contract. Also, when it comes to the nfl, most of the wr1 have a similar attitude when they feel they are not getting the ball. 

Nfl.com article about trade rumors. He likely feels he needs to showcase his talent to get a good deal with his new team next year. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000750224/article/brandin-cooks-could-be-at-center-of-offseason-trade-talks

I don't blame him for speaking up after a 49 pt 500+ yd offense in which he didn't get one touch or look.
I can see both sides, but considering the result of the game it seems ill timed.

Remember the complaining Ingram did after he got benched and Hightower got twice the touches Ingram had all year? 

I don't either - because he didn't say a damn thing. 

selfless play. And Ingram has a contract loaded with incentives from what folks have said in the Ingram topic. 

Users who are viewing this thread