What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandon Aiyuk, SF (2 Viewers)

Saw a trade proposals on the internet yesterday.

To SF: 2024 #5 pick, 2024 #181 pick
To LAC: Aiyuk, 2024 #31 pick, 2024 #94 pick

Thought it was fair. SF can get a WR to replace Aiyuk at a controlled cost.
Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Chargers. That is way too high of a draft pick. It would make more sense if it was someone in the 20-30 range giving up their 1st rounder similar to what Buffalo did for Diggs with Minnesota years back. That is the type of trade I could see happening.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for the Chargers. That is way too high of a draft pick. It would make more sense if it was someone in the 20-30 range giving up their 1st rounder similar to what Buffalo did for Diggs with Minnesota years back. That is the type of trade I could see happening.
Agreed.

I also think it’s a little silly for SF to make any such deal considering they’re a cash-rich team. The way they structure contracts gives them an out on Deebo next year, and they could easily pay Aiyuk what he wants.

With a team in a SB window, why would they deal away their WR1, who knows the system & is a willing blocker for a question mark rookie?

This isn’t a rebuilding franchise looking to ditch payroll. It’s the team that just lost the SB, looking to get back to it.

I don't see why the Chargers would trade Allen due to high cap hit and then give up valuable draft capital to trade for another WR who will require a high cap hit contract.
Age? I don't know just putting it out there. Maybe they wanted to get the old guys like Williams and Allen off the books and go younger.

Maybe they just draft a top WR with pick #5 who comes in "cheap" and the get him for 4-5 years.

Agreed.

I also think it’s a little silly for SF to make any such deal considering they’re a cash-rich team. The way they structure contracts gives them an out on Deebo next year, and they could easily pay Aiyuk what he wants.

With a team in a SB window, why would they deal away their WR1, who knows the system & is a willing blocker for a question mark rookie?

This isn’t a rebuilding franchise looking to ditch payroll. It’s the team that just lost the SB, looking to get back to it.
I agree if they truly want to make a SB run they need to figure out a deal for Aiyuk. What I don't know is how much does Aiyuk want and will he be willing to negotiate in order to make another SB run.

Does Aiyuk just want cash or be part of a winning team?

I don't see why the Chargers would trade Allen due to high cap hit and then give up valuable draft capital to trade for another WR who will require a high cap hit contract.
Agreed. The wiser move would be to take Nabers at 5 and have a cost-controlled WR whose ceiling may match or even exceed Aiyuk. The Chargers aren’t an Aiyuk from Super Bowl contention anyway.

Does that not have an extremely large amount of parallels to the Buckner situation when they traded him?
It does - and that worked out terribly for them, as Kinlaw was a bust & they’d have been significantly better with Buckner.

I actually had exactly that in mind when I posted that.

Does Aiyuk just want cash or be part of a winning team?
Both.

He’s a good teammate. He isn’t a prima-donna WR. But he’s watched his teammates all get paid, and knows it’s his turn. And everyone agrees he’s earned it.

Aiyuk wants to win. And he wants to get paid. And those aren’t mutually exclusive.
He also knows he could go to a significantly worse situation.

This is just a repeat of the Deebo situation. Hopefully it gets resolved sooner.

Does that not have an extremely large amount of parallels to the Buckner situation when they traded him?
(1) That was maybe the second-biggest disaster of the Shanahan/Lynch era in terms of front office moves, and (2) the conventional wisdom is that DT is a position where you can plug a young player in and have him contribute right away. That's decidedly not the case at WR with Kyle Shanahan.

Age? I don't know just putting it out there. Maybe they wanted to get the old guys like Williams and Allen off the books and go younger.

Maybe they just draft a top WR with pick #5 who comes in "cheap" and the get him for 4-5 years.

They traded Allen because he refused to take a pay cut. They offered him a contract extension with lower salaries, which he declined. That shows it wasn't about his age.

Wouldn't the ARSB contract be exactly the thing that has changed?
No, because Aiyuk is going to want somewhere in the neighborhood of 51M guaranteed.

It’s not about the annual, it’s about the guaranteed $.

IMO not one thing has changed in the Aiyuk situation. $30M a year is what folks have been saying on local radio for a month+ now.

Wouldn't the ARSB contract be exactly the thing that has changed?
No, because Aiyuk is going to want somewhere in the neighborhood of 51M guaranteed.

It’s not about the annual, it’s about the guaranteed $.

IMO not one thing has changed in the Aiyuk situation. $30M a year is what folks have been saying on local radio for a month+ now.
Is this speculation or do you have reports this is what he wants 51 seems like a pretty exact number

If you only look at the money portion, you probably won't see why. If you look at the entire context of the players, it may become more clear. Keenan Allen is going to be 32 years old and has been injured quite a bit the past few years. Aiyuk is entering his prime years and has been healthy. Plus, in the above trade scenario, you're getting 3 players for 2.

They traded Allen because he refused to take a pay cut. They offered him a contract extension with lower salaries, which he declined. That shows it wasn't about his age.

The only thing this is evidence of is that they didn't want to pay Keenan Allen WR #1 type money. What those reasons are can only be speculated, but age and injury history seem likely. This isn't evidence that the wouldn't or don't want to pay a younger, healthier WR, #1 type money.

Brandon Aiyuk’s IG story after seeing the Amon-Ra St. Brown signing:

Back the truck up
Because before the ARSB signing he was gonna take $37 and a half eaten ham sammich?

Cmon son.
Nah, but he's obviously happy seeing the way the WR market is going.
Of course, but it's not like that's shocking news or anything. lol

Brandon Aiyuk’s IG story after seeing the Amon-Ra St. Brown signing:

Back the truck up
Because before the ARSB signing he was gonna take $37 and a half eaten ham sammich?

Cmon son.
Nah, but he's obviously happy seeing the way the WR market is going.
Of course, but it's not like that's shocking news or anything. lol
He's loving that $77 mil guarantee tho.

He's loving that $77 mil guarantee tho.
That's the part. He's gonna be asking for $78M now. :doh:
Just to note fully guaranteed is not the same thing as guaranteed in NFL land.

I think $14M of $77m is really an injury guarantee in year 3/

Josina Anderson is saying it averages $28m for the first 3 years. If accurate what his contract really boils down is to adding 3/84 with $63m fully guaranteed added to the last year of his deal. Still would prefer to get some more details before I run with that but sounds about what I'd expect, that last year probably has a giant number he'll never see just was used to be able to present it as $30m a year.

I expect Aiyuk to command similar, though he's already getting paid about $11m more then ARSB this year so not sure how teams factor that into the extension. But this should be the ballpark that Aiyuk should expect, and deserves IMO.

I predict he gets traded tomorrow. Not what is best for SF but I just do not seeing them opening up the treasure chest for him. Don’t think for a second that Shanahan doesn’t have the ego to think he can develop another Aiyuk. BA developed incredibly since his rookie season and was in the dog house early in his career. I am sure Kyle thinks he can do the same with another project for less cost. As a BA dynasty holder I hope he stays, but my gut says someone pays a first for him and is moved. Hopefully just indigestion…

If you only look at the money portion, you probably won't see why. If you look at the entire context of the players, it may become more clear. Keenan Allen is going to be 32 years old and has been injured quite a bit the past few years. Aiyuk is entering his prime years and has been healthy. Plus, in the above trade scenario, you're getting 3 players for 2.

I will agree to disagree with you about this trade being a viable scenario. As for Allen, what I have posted about him here is in alignment with:
  • What Chargers GM Hortiz has said publicly
  • What Chargers beat reporters have reported
  • What Allen and his representation have said publicly
The Chargers offered Allen a contract extension. They wanted to keep him, but only at their price. Allen refused. IMO that was more about their approach to cap management than age. It is reasonable to believe that if you ranked all of the NFL teams in order of willingness to pay a premium WR salary, the Chargers (GM Hortiz, HC Harbaugh, OC Roman) would be at or near the bottom of that list.

If the Chargers want a high quality WR badly enough that they would consider trading the #5 pick for one, they will just use that pick on the best WR available instead and enjoy 5 years of cap savings.

I will agree to disagree with you about this trade being a viable scenario. As for Allen, what I have posted about him here is in alignment with:
The Chargers offered Allen a contract extension. They wanted to keep him, but only at their price. Allen refused. IMO that was more about their approach to cap management than age. It is reasonable to believe that if you ranked all of the NFL teams in order of willingness to pay a premium WR salary, the Chargers (GM Hortiz, HC Harbaugh, OC Roman) would be at or near the bottom of that list.

If the Chargers want a high quality WR badly enough that they would consider trading the #5 pick for one, they will just use that pick on the best WR available instead and enjoy 5 years of cap savings.
Does Roman even have any pass plays in his playbook? 😄

Just heard the details on the radio - ARSB’s deal is not as good as it sounds. Aiyuk is making more already.

The last year of ARSB’s deal is hugely inflated.

I predict he gets traded tomorrow. Not what is best for SF but I just do not seeing them opening up the treasure chest for him. Don’t think for a second that Shanahan doesn’t have the ego to think he can develop another Aiyuk. BA developed incredibly since his rookie season and was in the dog house early in his career. I am sure Kyle thinks he can do the same with another project for less cost. As a BA dynasty holder I hope he stays, but my gut says someone pays a first for him and is moved. Hopefully just indigestion…
I'm also a dynasty owner but with the opposite thought: I want him to not be on the team with the fewest pass attempts in the league, while fighting for touches with three other stars in McCaffrey, Deebo, and Kittle. I want more target volume for him (he was only 36th in the league in total targets last season, and 42nd in average targets per game). He deserves to be much higher on that list. That being said, I expect the 49ers to hold him.

He’s not getting traded tomorrow. lol

Does Roman even have any pass plays in his playbook? 😄
I can attest, no.
:lol:

Yep, exactly. I could see Aiyuk being moved in a similar deal to that of the AJ Brown trade - a mid to late first.

I would bet your life on it.

Thoughts on Indy trading 1.15 for Aiyuk and a third?

I would prefer a 1st round swap instead. That way SF gets their OL and the the Colts get a decent DB prospect.

Unless one of the top 3 WRs fall that far there’s no way I see SF doing that.

SF is after an offensive lineman, not WR. Colts wouldn’t do that anyway. Perhaps a first round swap with Indy.

SF is after an offensive lineman, not WR. Colts wouldn’t do that anyway. Perhaps a first round swap with Indy.
Wait, you're saying 1.15 for 1.31 AND Aiyuk?

If so, that's a massive overpay by SF.

Not if they trade Aiyuk they aren’t. And there’s less than a 0 chance they’d trade him for a swap.

That being said, I expect the 49ers to hold him.
Correct. Because that’s 99% likely to happen.
With Purdy still being cheap they should keep him while in their best position to win.
Ultimately that is the optimal solution, especially when considering Purdy’s long term development. They showed great chemistry last year, but I just do not see SF paying what the market would dictate Aiyuk earning at this point. I hope they do as that is in his best FF interest IMO, we should know that direction by end of the day tomorrow I assume.

Users who are viewing this thread