What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (4 Viewers)

He got a Super Bowl ring last year. Seems like he is managing his career just fine.  
Josh Gordon admitted to drinking alcohol during pregame warmups during every game of his career prior to 2017. During one stretch he missed 51 of 56 games because of his addictions. Cole Beasley, a way inferior player, will make more money in 2019 than Gordon has made in his entire career. 

If you had a coworker who drank Cognac every day for breakfast, had to call in sick 51 weeks in a row, and was being way out paid by your company’s janitor, I doubt you’d describe him as managing his career “just fine.”

Josh Gordon admitted to drinking alcohol during pregame warmups during every game of his career prior to 2017. During one stretch he missed 51 of 56 games because of his addictions. Cole Beasley, a way inferior player, will make more money in 2019 than Gordon has made in his entire career. 

If you had a coworker who drank Cognac every day for breakfast, had to call in sick 51 weeks in a row, and was being way out paid by your company’s janitor, I doubt you’d describe him as managing his career “just fine.”
But did he help the company win a prestigious award, one that puts them as the best in their trade?

FYI, I'm on your side here.😎

Last edited by a moderator:
He got a Super Bowl ring last year. Seems like he is managing his career just fine.  

Yeah, great metric. Guy left his team hanging, for the Xth time, but in this instance at the worst possible time heading into the playoffs. His team proceeds to win the SB without him, and the ring is the metric that leads you to the above statement?  Comedy.

So what if Gordon smoked pot and experimented in college.  More than half the people I know have smoked pot and experimented with other drugs in college.  He isn't a crackhead.  He isn't a heroin addict.  There is a reason Tom Brady liked having Gordon's locker next to his.  It is because Gordon is a cerebral, hollistic football junkie and a freak athlete who is under an unprecedented media microscope because of who he was coming out of Baylor.  The league shows him latitude precisely because he is not some hardened criminal or a strung out junkie or even an alcoholic.  . 

Honestly, I think what you are saying says more about you than Gordon. There is a reason the Patriots tagged him with a 2nd round tender.    
Please engage us with your experience regarding addiction and recovery. 

He didn't play in 2015 or 2016.  He played 4 games in 2014So really what you are saying is when he was 23 years old and younger.  He is only 28 now.  I can forgive a 23 year old that shows genuine remorse and takes the actions to right the ship.  The 28 year old man is staying sober and clearly is putting his sobriety first.  

He didn't get paid for the time he missed.  He wasn't "calling in sick".  He was fired.  And then came back, years later, sober.  This is a "co-worker" who has a disease and its now getting treatment.  He went and sought, and received and continues to receive treatment.  And now, when he does "work", he does the job better than anyone at the "company" and helps put food on everyone at the companies table.  But he is still a worker who deals with a disease.  And every so often, to maintain his health (sobriety) he needs the structure of the treatment program. 

It is NOT easy to stay strictly sober for any addict.  Personally, I think he checked himself back into treatment and the league let him. I don't think he was caught.  I think he confessed.  I have not seen anything to show that his "indefinite suspension" is not something that Josh Gordon did not initiate himself as part of his treatment.  The designation provided some legal cover for the league and it protected his sobriety and ergo status in the league.

Riddle me this.  Why would the Patriots let multiple WRs go and tag Gordon? Do you think the Patriots think he is playing next season or no?  When they gave him a ring, do you think it is  because they expected him to continue to be part of the team? Do you think they WANT him to be part of the team?  If he was showing up "drinking cognac", being dishonest and he was working next to a genuine champion health freak like Tom Brady, how long do you think that would have lasted?

amnesiac said:
this thread is the gift that keeps on giving.  
😃  :fishing:

JetMaxx said:
Please engage us with your experience regarding addiction and recovery. 

Scroll back.  I chimed already.  Plenty of doctors and people in the industry have chimed in also.  

IMO The guy is playing this year.  You can like it or not, hate him or not, root for him or against him, but that won't change anything.

Last year he played 11 games with the Patriots.  In those 11 games he caught 40 passes for 720 yards and 4 TDs.  Extrapolate that over 16 games and he is around 55-60 catches, over 1000 yards and 5-6 TDs.  I will take that on my fantasy team next year.  And players like you will let me get him cheap.    

Josh Gordon is an alcoholic that pops pills and does coke. If the people in this thread realized that four years ago they would have been better off. 
Do you hold this against every player that does or has done this.. or you just have it out for Gordon?

lol... “have it out” 

How many players have become used car salesmen for their drug habit? FBG’s continue to amaze me.
You didn't answer the question... or perhaps dodging the question illustrates it perfectly.

Hating on an individual NFL player for drug use is the highest level of hypocrisy/irony I can think of.

You didn't answer the question... or perhaps dodging the question illustrates it perfectly.

Hating on an individual NFL player for drug use is the highest level of hypocrisy/irony I can think of.
Defending said player after ####### up a half dozen times... equally as so. I’m done with you though before gets antsy and I catch a block. Enjoy the ignore guy.

Defending said player after ####### up a half dozen times... equally as so. I’m done with you though before gets antsy and I catch a block. Enjoy the ignore guy.
Again.. is your hard on for repeated drug use limited to Gordon?

Or are you in the threads for all the 100s of other repeated drug users the NFL has seen?

@Bojang0301 I mean just erase the 80s and 90s from the NFL history books if your criteria is repeated drug use.  Tons of today's as well.

Truly an odd hill to die on considering how rampant drugs are and have been.

For the record.. I am not defending Gordon.  A sad and stupid case without a doubt.

I am trying to understand the logic of using drugs as a criteria to pile on NFL players.  Seems silly.

Or are you in in the threads for all the 100s of other repeated drug users the NFL has seen?
This comment would get me a vacation but I’m sure it will be a warning for you for a nice double standard on this board. No one has to respond to you and your insults. Only reason I am is to point out Joe’s hypocrisy that I’m sure he’ll show. Now have a nice life. I’m sure I’ll catch your burner account.

This comment would get me a vacation but I’m sure it will be a warning for you for a nice double standard on this board. No one has to respond to you and your insults. Only reason I am is to point out Joe’s hypocrisy that I’m sure he’ll show. Now have a nice life. I’m sure I’ll catch your burner account.

I dont know what I stepped into here, but from what I see this might be the thinnest skin in almost 20 years of this board.  :shrug:

Whine less please. 

Source: Patriots WR Josh Gordon has officially signed his restricted free agent tender. While he’s uncertain to play in 2019, this ensures that if he plays anywhere, it’ll be in New England.

@FieldYates

He clearly intends to try to return.

@AdamSchefter

Source: Patriots WR Josh Gordon has officially signed his restricted free agent tender. While he’s uncertain to play in 2019, this ensures that if he plays anywhere, it’ll be in New England.

@FieldYates

He clearly intends to try to return.

@AdamSchefter
Hurray? Pretty sure he intends to come back every year. It rarely works out. I have nothing against Gordon, but both of these quotes are just meaningless fluff.

Or are you in the threads for all the 100s of other repeated drug users the NFL has seen?
For me personally, I don’t care that he uses drugs. It’s that dozens of times he does things he knows will get him suspended. Yet still a ton of people seem to believe he’ll change every single year. The pure stupidity of it astonishes me. 

For me personally, I don’t care that he uses drugs. It’s that dozens of times he does things he knows will get him suspended. Yet still a ton of people seem to believe he’ll change every single year. The pure stupidity of it astonishes me. 
It's not like anyone is risking much on him. If you have Julio, Smith-Shuster, TY and Woods and you pick him up it's not stupid at all. 

If he's on New England and something clicks he could do well. Who are you to give up on anyone? Sure it's about a 98% chance he fails. There's also that 2%.

Addiction sucks.  But I can see this.

Singling out any NFL player for drug use is what I found to be high comedy.  You can wipe generations of NFL greats from the books if that is your criteria.

Josh Gordon has been working out with Tom Brady this offseason.

It's the first update we've had on Gordon since April. Gordon wasn't able to practice with the team while suspended, but this adds fuel to rumblings he could be reinstated. The Patriots gave Gordon an original-round tender this offseason, a sign they think he has a chance to play. Gordon's return would be a hit to rookie N'Keal Harry's outlook.

SOURCE: Kevin Duffy on Twitter

Jun 19, 2019, 11:32 AM ET

An NFL spokesman told The Athletic's Jeff Howe the league has "no update" on Josh Gordon's indefinite suspension.

The league could not even tell Howe if there was a "timeline for a review of the suspension." Gordon was back in the news Wednesday because he has been working out with Tom Brady. Presumably, the Pats would not have re-signed Gordon and Brady would not be working out with him if the team wasn't bullish on his odds of playing at some point in 2019. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported in February that there was a "chance" Gordon could be cleared by camp.

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Jun 19, 2019, 4:15 PM ET

441 pages for a 'meh' player? jees when does it end.

K. Golladay will outperform him nine ways to Sunday, and Golloaday isn't even that good.

This really should not be a surprise.  The Pats didn't release all the WRs on the team and then sign him to a 2nd round tender if the Pats didn't think he was going to play this year.

Hint: If Gordon is training with Tom Brady, chances are that Brady thinks Gordon is playing for the Pats this year also.   

K. Golladay will outperform him nine ways to Sunday, and Golloaday isn't even that good.
Take out Soulfy3’s posts and the posts replying to him and it’s a more manageable 20-page thread.  😝

Unlike the Christine Michael trilogy which was fueled by dozens of posters over its years of lumbering existence...

This really should not be a surprise.  The Pats didn't release all the WRs on the team and then sign him to a 2nd round tender if the Pats didn't think he was going to play this year.

Hint: If Gordon is training with Tom Brady, chances are that Brady thinks Gordon is playing for the Pats this year also.   
You're talking about the great Chris Hogan and Cordarrelle Patterson? They also brought back Dorsett, signed Thomas and Inman, and drafted a WR in the first round for the first time in over two decades.

It's already been addressed, but giving Gordon that tender really doesn't give us any insight. Even if they only think there's a 1% chance of him playing, it's a no-brainer- if he plays they get a cheap WR, if he doesn't they don't lose anything.

It's already been addressed, but giving Gordon that tender really doesn't give us any insight. Even if they only think there's a 1% chance of him playing, it's a no-brainer- if he plays they get a cheap WR, if he doesn't they don't lose anything.
What you’re saying about the contract is true. But I agree with Snowman, the signing + the Brady / Gordon offseason workouts represent a pattern of behavior that suggests that the Pats have some level of optimism about Josh playing this season. And the Pats know Gordon and his situation much better than we do.

I wouldn’t get too excited about any of this. Gordon has F-ed up so many times. Even if he was already reinstated and on the week 1 roster you have to assign a high likelihood of him squandering his opportunity again. But I do think Gordon is on the fantasy radar yet again. I’ve seen Gordon going undrafted in best ball leagues and, even with all the risks, I’d much rather have him on my roster than a player like Cole Beasley.

What you’re saying about the contract is true. But I agree with Snowman, the signing + the Brady / Gordon offseason workouts represent a pattern of behavior that suggests that the Pats have some level of optimism about Josh playing this season. And the Pats know Gordon and his situation much better than we do.

I wouldn’t get too excited about any of this. Gordon has F-ed up so many times. Even if he was already reinstated and on the week 1 roster you have to assign a high likelihood of him squandering his opportunity again. But I do think Gordon is on the fantasy radar yet again. I’ve seen Gordon going undrafted in best ball leagues and, even with all the risks, I’d much rather have him on my roster than a player like Cole Beasley.
Of course they have some level of optimism, but that's not what he's saying. He said "The Pats didn't release all the WRs on the team and then sign him to a 2nd round tender if the Pats didn't think he was going to play this year." Not only is he being disingenuous with the moves they've made at WR, but they would have given him that tender even if they didn't think he was going to play this year since there's no risk in doing so. The tender doesn't mean that they believe it's likely that he'll play, only that there's some chance that he will.

Golladay isn't that good.  Josh Gordon is.  If you have space on your bench there isn't a bigger upside play out there.  I've held him in two dynasty leagues since he came into the league.  I've passed many offers for him from owners looking to buy low.  He's a league winner IF he is reinstated.  I wouldn't sell the farm for him, or the barn or the outhouse.  But if he's sitting on the waiver wire.  I'd drop any WR4/5 for him.  He is obviously working hard and if his return was hopeless then Tom Brady wouldn't waste his time.

You're talking about the great Chris Hogan and Cordarrelle Patterson? They also brought back Dorsett, signed Thomas and Inman, and drafted a WR in the first round for the first time in over two decades.

If he plays he's instantly the best receiver on the team.

spudgusta said:
Golladay isn't that good.  Josh Gordon is.  If you have space on your bench there isn't a bigger upside play out there.  I've held him in two dynasty leagues since he came into the league.  I've passed many offers for him from owners looking to buy low.  He's a league winner IF he is reinstated.  I wouldn't sell the farm for him, or the barn or the outhouse.  But if he's sitting on the waiver wire.  I'd drop any WR4/5 for him.  He is obviously working hard and if his return was hopeless then Tom Brady wouldn't waste his time.
lol

I think a lot of the hate of recent news comes from dynasty owners that drafted N'Keal Harry and are butt hurt at the fact that their draft pick is going to plummet to the bottom of the depth chart if/when Gordon comes back.  The league will come around on the weed just like the rest of the United States.  If it is going to look the other way on domestic abuse (Tyreek Hill) then it's dumb stance on weed looks even worse.

voiceofunreason said:
This is big news. Wow.
I'm not trying to provide big news.  I'm defending the fact that the guy is relevant when people are asking why a guy has a 441 (442) page thread.  If you don't care, then see the door.

This is starting (ok, continuing) to sound like a broken record. If, if, if ....
All of fantasy football is if if if.  If Todd Gurley's arthritic knee condition isn't as bad as everyone says... etc. etc.  There are players worth discussing and ones that aren't.  When you have a WR1 potential that you can add for peanuts then that's worth talking about.  

The league will come around on the weed just like the rest of the United States.  If it is going to look the other way on domestic abuse (Tyreek Hill) then it's dumb stance on weed looks even worse.
Word. 

Here we have a guy trying to get his life together. Is the NFL aiding his cause by suspending him? I think not. Compassion has nothing to do with anything this organization does. 

Users who are viewing this thread