What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Reynolds, DEN (1 Viewer)

Edgar said:
If Reynolds is on the field instead of Julio, defenses will stack the box. 
The Titans are generally OK with this. Teams have been doing that since DeMarco was there.

Thats an interesting angle I had not considered. That Reynolds might take over Jonnu Smiths targets and snaps in the offense even though he is a different position.

What do other folks think about that?

Its possible. I am not a fan of Josh Reynolds, never have been but he might be a very good blocker as you say. I am not sure about that. Even if he is I do not think he is as good a blocker as Jonnu Smith who does that at a very high level.

I was more thinking the Frisker goy would step into Jonnus snaps than Reynolds but I would like to hear what other people think about this. Especially @Bri
It's whether it's 3WR or 2TE really. It's been 2TE for years and that is NOT Firkser. Firkser is effective from the slot against zone not man. He's probably one of the best in NFL (catch percent) in zone but it rrrreally changes against man and he can't block inline. He was a Harvard WR and they have really tried to develop this ability but it doesn't seem he's capable

It's whether it's 3WR or 2TE really. It's been 2TE for years and that is NOT Firkser. Firkser is effective from the slot against zone not man. He's probably one of the best in NFL (catch percent) in zone but it rrrreally changes against man and he can't block inline. He was a Harvard WR and they have really tried to develop this ability but it doesn't seem he's capable
Do you think the Titans will use more 3 WR sets than they have been with Smith on the roster?

Who is the the best blocking TE now? Pruitt? Is he still on the team?

I suppose Reynolds might be a good blocker?

I dont think you acquire Julio Jones and then limit his opportunity because of injury risk and substitutions like that are tells for the defense.
Breer had a great bit about Julio and his injuries. The Falcons learned when he's hurt with this he can only run these routes. When he's hurt with that, those routes. Defensive coordinators caught into this eventually. So you've got superstar when healthy and somewhat regular but tall when not. With this info widely around the league how do the Titans deal with it?

The other prob is since it's a new team he will consistently need practice reps to learn every offensive nuance they put in and he can't do that hurt.

The presumption is they need him healthy for week 14 on and so how do they achieve that?

Reynolds hasn't been very good and I'm not a fan but he's always had some wheels to him and in my opinion, his career (before last year) was if you don't respect his game he'll burn ya otherwise he's just ok. Supposing last year was a fluke and not improved development and he's that guy- that's exactly the WR fora D with 8 in the box. Ignore and he burns ya, if not he'll use good blocking ability.

I'm just spitballing. How do you get Julio healthy late? It's really a tricky question

The Titans have no history of resting and keeping guys fresh and all that. This is all me. Vrabel is play hard, next man up, and he thinks being mentally strong is paramount to rest.

I just can't imagine ya sign an old WR and then not address what's become a common NFL topic. Since it's off-season, I'm sure every DC today is at least spending a single minute to ponder how they'd stop Henry AJ and Jones. Jones' injury history has gotta be discussed too

Do you think the Titans will use more 3 WR sets than they have been with Smith on the roster?

Who is the the best blocking TE now? Pruitt? Is he still on the team?
Pruitt signed with SF and they were expecting to get him on a low-ball offer so they probably do sign someone.

Swaim is the blocking TE in 2TE sets and he did fine there last year. Only catches a pass when ya sleep on him otherwise a fine blocker.

There aren't many TEs athletic enough to get out ahead of Henry and block downfield. Since Henry is the focal point, I think so is this.

I don't know that they can find and afford such a TE now.

Today I'd predict Briley Moore or Tory Carter but that is such an extreme longshot prediction and feels quite unreasonable.

I think they just switch to 3WR and hope Henry can hack it. He's always needed a FB or hback around so I think 3 WR but some weeks they're going with 2TE (a rookie udfa) and what suits him.

Arthur Smith created options. They were easy to defense in theory; it wasn't hard to gameplay just hard to execute. (Double AJ, 8 in box against Henry) Julio dramatically changes things so I really think they just switch to 3WR

Breer had a great bit about Julio and his injuries. The Falcons learned when he's hurt with this he can only run these routes. When he's hurt with that, those routes. Defensive coordinators caught into this eventually. So you've got superstar when healthy and somewhat regular but tall when not. With this info widely around the league how do the Titans deal with it?
I hadn't read or heard anything like that but now that you bring it up I think that makes a lot of sense. When Jones is hurt it limits his lateral agility and because of that the routes they have him run when he is hurt gets limited to ones that don't require the more sudden breaks. I think I have seen that myself when watching Julio play and wondering why they are not using him more. Just not putting 2 and 2 together.

My excuse is that although JJ has been in the NFL for a long time I am not sure if I have ever had him on any of my fantasy teams where I might pay more attention to these things.

Thanks for bringing that up!

The other prob is since it's a new team he will consistently need practice reps to learn every offensive nuance they put in and he can't do that hurt.

The presumption is they need him healthy for week 14 on and so how do they achieve that?
I am totally following you here as far as why Reynolds should get more reps. I don't have to like it. That makes sense.

Reynolds hasn't been very good and I'm not a fan but he's always had some wheels to him and in my opinion, his career (before last year) was if you don't respect his game he'll burn ya otherwise he's just ok. Supposing last year was a fluke and not improved development and he's that guy- that's exactly the WR fora D with 8 in the box. Ignore and he burns ya, if not he'll use good blocking ability.
I think we pretty much agree about who Reynolds is. He is pretty tall and a big target on those deep shots as well.

I'm just spitballing. How do you get Julio healthy late? It's really a tricky question

The Titans have no history of resting and keeping guys fresh and all that. This is all me. Vrabel is play hard, next man up, and he thinks being mentally strong is paramount to rest.

I just can't imagine ya sign an old WR and then not address what's become a common NFL topic. Since it's off-season, I'm sure every DC today is at least spending a single minute to ponder how they'd stop Henry AJ and Jones. Jones' injury history has gotta be discussed too
Yeah I hear you about Vrabel. A lot of coaches are like that.

One of the reasons the Dolphins drafted Waddle was because of his willingness to play injured. I think there may be something morally wrong with this attitude but its very common.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Pruitt signed with SF and they were expecting to get him on a low-ball offer so they probably do sign someone.

Swaim is the blocking TE in 2TE sets and he did fine there last year. Only catches a pass when ya sleep on him otherwise a fine blocker.

There aren't many TEs athletic enough to get out ahead of Henry and block downfield. Since Henry is the focal point, I think so is this.

I don't know that they can find and afford such a TE now.

Today I'd predict Briley Moore or Tory Carter but that is such an extreme longshot prediction and feels quite unreasonable.

I think they just switch to 3WR and hope Henry can hack it. He's always needed a FB or hback around so I think 3 WR but some weeks they're going with 2TE (a rookie udfa) and what suits him.

Arthur Smith created options. They were easy to defense in theory; it wasn't hard to gameplay just hard to execute. (Double AJ, 8 in box against Henry) Julio dramatically changes things so I really think they just switch to 3WR
Thanks Bri.

I had forgotten about Swaim. He is a guy I dont want on my fantasy teams.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
So I am thinking that Blasingame maybe gets more reps since he can block. He would be the H Back defacto 2nd TE in those sets.

So I am thinking that Blasingame maybe gets more reps since he can block. He would be the H Back defacto 2nd TE in those sets.
I don't know that he can do inline blocking. 

The hback sometimes comes around the corner on a shift and turns into a normal TE role.

The more the Titans try to replace Jonnu the more I think they were dumb to let him walk and more curious I am as to how Belichick will utilize him

I don't know that he can do inline blocking. 

The hback sometimes comes around the corner on a shift and turns into a normal TE role.

The more the Titans try to replace Jonnu the more I think they were dumb to let him walk and more curious I am as to how Belichick will utilize him
I agree that will be interesting to see.

Can used Greg Olsen a lot. Maybe Jonnu does well with him.

Reynolds shared yesterday that he had shoulder surgery in the spring and an Achilles tweak since joining the Titans. 

Now in Detroit, reunited with Goff, little-to-no legit competion outside of Hockenson, put up 3/70/1 last week, probably a free agent in even deep leagues, and gets the Vikes this week which are the leagues second-worst fantasy defense against WR's. For those desperately needing WR help, you could certainly do worse.

League winner? Highly doubtful

Solid Week 13 WR help? Quite possibly

No practice

RB D’Andre Swift (shoulder) — reportedly could miss “multiple weeks”

RT Penei Sewell (illness)

Not sure how much time Jared will have. Sewell has allowed zero pressures since moving back to RT (played LT very well while Decker was out the first half of the year)

LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin (shoulder)

EDGE Trey Flowers (knee)

DB Bobby Price (shoulder)

3 key contributors on a unit playing better than it’s talent  

I rostered Reynolds as my WR5 (Adams on a bye) but not sure I want to start any Lions. I’ve got Hock glued to the bench, been rolling with the Pitt rookie outta Penn State.

And FWIW I’m just about the most optimistic Lions fan you’ll ever meet.

UPDATE / CORRECTION (Thu - above was Wed)

Penei Sewell back at Lions practice. KhaDarel Hodge too. 

No sight of Trey Flowers, Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Bobby Price or D’Andre Swift as expected. 

Jeff Okudah on his feet, playing light catch. Nice to see him moving around at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will his good buddy Jared keep looking his way or is there nothing to see here going forward?

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Reynold caught 6-of-10 targets for 96 yards in the Lions Week 3 loss to the Vikings.

Reynold led the Lions in targets and receiving yards, and tied with Amon-Ra St. Brown for the team-high in receptions. St. Brown was playing through injury for much of the game, which allowed Reynold to earn more targets than expected. He'll be an unexciting dart throw option against the Seahawks in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Josh Reynolds (ankle) is questionable for Week 4 against the Seahawks.​

Reynolds got in back-to-back limited practices to close out the week and the Lions are in desperate need of his services on Sunday with Amon-Ra St. Brown out. Reynolds had 96 yards on 10 targets before departing in Week 3 and is an interesting flier for Week 4 with St. Brown and D'Andre Swift both out.
Sep 30, 2022, 4:09 PM ET

Anyone starting him this week? Gonna flex him vs the Seahawks. Debating if he is a better or worse start than Chark who is available on the wire

Anyone starting him this week? Gonna flex him vs the Seahawks. Debating if he is a better or worse start than Chark who is available on the wire
At that point you're just tossing darts between those two. They'll both have some near zero weeks, both will burst out for 4-6 catches a few times this season.

Chark is not clicking with Goff, evidenced by his absurdly low catch rate (7/18, 38.9%.) His repaired ankle was bothering him this week. Josh Reynolds has a low ankle sprain. Both had one DNP and two LPs this week. I think the answer is neither but Reynolds has Goff’s trust if you’re choosing between them.

DJ Charkdooodoodootoo ruled out.

Tell me who you’re starting Reynolds over.

I’m starting him over Elijah Moore.

DJ Charkdooodoodootoo ruled out.

Tell me who you’re starting Reynolds over.

I’m starting him over Elijah Moore.
Thinking about starting him over Garrett Wilson or DJ Moore
I think this is solid this week. No idea how Wilson will work with....Wilson. Take a week and see how it looks.

You're getting Reynolds while he's red hot with chemistry, a 10 target game with Goff, coming in this week as the #1 guy. Even if he doesn't get catches, he will be getting looks all day.

"he will be getting looks all day."

And you score how many fantasy points for "looks"??

13 targets last 2 games has produced 9/137/TD

6/96 last week, 10 targets last week

Seattle gives up the 5th worst YAC on defense, yds after catch
Seattle is tied for 5th worst in Missed Tackles

Had St. Brown - Out
Picked up Chark - Out
Picked up Reynolds - Rolling him Out over Burks

Hopeful, but dice roll 4 sure. Could see anywhere from 3/25/0 to 8/115/1, but likely somewhere in between.

Starting Reynolds over Burks as well. Hoping for targets. WR has killed me with DJ Moore and Renfrow both unstartable.

I have no choice, have to start both DJ Moore and Josh Reynolds (over KJ Osbourne / Marvin Jones JR) in a Guillotine league lol. Don't need a high score, just need to hit 75 points or so hopefully reynolds gets catches.

I'm telling ya guys, it's those looks man.

Something about those looks.

More looks = higher chance of a solid fantasy day, idk.

It's a theory I'm working on.

This guy saved my ***. Injuries and generally ****ty play had me flexing in…..Melvin Gordon. Last minute swap to Reynolds might have been the difference. Still need a good game from Kittle but it’s a 15 point need instead of a 35 point need.

Josh Reynolds (knee) is active for Week 7 against the Cowboys.​

He did not practice much this week, but he has consistently suited up through injury so far this season. With D'Andre Swift out and D.J. Chark on injured reserve, there should be some targets available for Reynolds in this game, especially if it turns into a shootout. He is an option in deeper leagues and DFS.
Oct 23, 2022, 11:33 AM ET

Josh Reynolds caught 1-of-2 targets for eight yards in the Lions' Week 7 loss to the Cowboys.

A consistent source of fantasy production coming into this one, Reynolds had at least 81 yards and/or one touchdown in four straight games entering Week 7. He missed a bunch of practice time this week with a knee issue, so perhaps it affected him more this Sunday. Reynolds will be difficult to trust for Week 8 against the Dolphins unless we see him practice more and Amon-Ra St. Brown (concussion) is forced to sit out.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Josh Reynolds caught 1-of-2 targets for eight yards in the Lions' Week 7 loss to the Cowboys.

A consistent source of fantasy production coming into this one, Reynolds had at least 81 yards and/or one touchdown in four straight games entering Week 7. He missed a bunch of practice time this week with a knee issue, so perhaps it affected him more this Sunday. Reynolds will be difficult to trust for Week 8 against the Dolphins unless we see him practice more and Amon-Ra St. Brown (concussion) is forced to sit out.

- NBCSportsEDGE
Started Reynolds and Gallup today to cover byes. They got less than one point total combined. I think I'll roll with them again next week.

- NBCSportsEDGE
Started Reynolds and Gallup today to cover byes. They got less than one point total combined. I think I'll roll with them again next week.

Reynolds DNP (knee) Wednesday.

I'm starting Kalif Raymond on Sunday. 5-45 & 5-75 the last two weeks, 85% & 90% snaps. Should have had an even better week last week - was running free with no S help, all Goff had to do was step up and take the shot. Oh wait, that's not happening, what am I thinking. Anyway, Kalif masqueraded as an NFL starting WR often last year bc of injuries and logged 742 snaps. Had a couple 100 yard games, six games with 4 or more receptions. Yeah it's gross but its a one week bye filler.

ARSB should play and will be a target hog. Swift (if they have any sense) s/b in line for a lot of targets. But Raymond is their only healthy outside WR, and MIami has some health issues on the back end.

ETA: Hockenson (knee) also DNP Wednesday, Chark on IR, good lawd Tom Kennedy (former lacrosse player) is getting snaps. It's gross.

Last edited:
@BobbyLayne

I picked up Reynolds when ARSB first tweaked his ankle and have been holding him as insurance.

At this point would you drop Reynolds for Raymond if the sole purpose is ARSB insurance? (My roster is at the point where as long as ARSB is active they will never crack the starting lineup)

Last edited:
@BobbyLayne

I picked up Reynolds when ARSB first tweaked his ankle and have been holding him as insurance.

At this point would you drop Reynolds for Raymond if the sole purpose is ARSB insurance? (My roster is at the point where as long as ARSB is active they will never crack the starting lineup)

Amon-Ra was limited yesterday bc he’s still required to go through the concussion protocols (even though he wasn’t concussed….new rules post Tua debacle.) Every indication from the team is he’ll be good to go this week.

I would drop Reynolds, not even sure of his availability. First it was an ankle, now it’s a knee. They’ll ramp up Kennedy if he’s not 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread