What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (1 Viewer)

Feel very confident the first 7 picks of the draft will be Qb's and WR's.
I'd be blown away if at least Alt didn't go in the top-7.

Love this move for the Bears, and for such little draft capital.

Fantasy wise, this is a downgrade for Allen for sure (and Herbert while we're at it) but there could still be some WR2 meat on the bone. Bears passing game could very much be a 2-man show, where neither is top-12, but both are top-24.

Not so fast...from ESPN

Allen, 31, told reporters in January that he would only play for a select few teams if traded from the Chargers and would consider retirement.

Point to the shirt moment but I’ve got Moore & Allen as my WR’s 1&2 in one dynasty league. At least its better than Chicago drafting Odunze at 8 or something like that but hopefully Caleb can keep both guys fantasy relevant for 2024.

I don't understand the move from the Bear's side, they aren't a 1-year rental at WR away from contending, they should be using their draft picks to build toward the future.

I don't understand the move from the Bear's side, they aren't a 1-year rental at WR away from contending, they should be using their draft picks to build toward the future.
Who says its a 1 year rental?

Bears are a lot closer to contending than people think. Defense was top-5 down the stretch, if the QB play is better (and Allen helps that even if they somehow stuck with Fields) this could absolutely be a playoff team, especially in a weak NFC.

It doesn’t matter if they contend or not. If you draft a QB early, it’s malpractice not to do everything possible to surround him with the necessary talent that aids his development.

What does more to help acclimate Caleb to the NFL as a rookie…a 4th round pick or one of the best zone beating WRs in the league? And for the record, DJM is one of the very best man beaters, so they are being very intentional about the fit as well.

If he plays the first 6 games of Caleb’s career and nothing more, it’s a great move.

Had a good year last year with over 1200 yards and 7 TDs, but he is 31. Is he close to the cliff, or does he have another good year or two left in him? Switching teams isn't always a good thing however.

It doesn’t matter if they contend or not. If you draft a QB early, it’s malpractice not to do everything possible to surround him with the necessary talent that aids his development.

Not just aiding the development, but also *aiding the evaluation* of the QB. Panthers have no idea if Young can be that guy or not. Teams can’t wait 3-4 years to figure that out.

Wow. Very unhappy about this as a Chargers fan. ☹️

-I understand how you feel, but I think I would trust Harbaugh. It does feel like perhaps the Chargers are not aiming for the Playoffs in '24, maybe he told the FO he needs at least a year to reshape the team the way he would like them. I guess what I'm saying is he's not just trying to win with whatever Brandon Staley had put together. It likely feels uneasy

-If they draft a rookie QB, it might be a great thing to have one of the best set of hands in the NFL over the last decade

If Keenan Allen can't catch your passes, probably nobody can and you shouldn't be an NFL QB.
-Agreed and so that will shake things out a bit

Had a good year last year with over 1200 yards and 7 TDs, but he is 31. Is he close to the cliff, or does he have another good year or two left in him? Switching teams isn't always a good thing however.

Right, what he actually produces is a different question. I think it’s a great trade for the Bears and their new QB but that doesn’t mean I’m going to be in on him for fantasy. My immediate reaction is it’s a fine spot, but his per game averages will trail off a good bit from last years pace. That’s going to be a very talented offense next year if they stay healthy. If they can build a good scheme it could be one of the higher scoring teams in the league.

All intents and purposes 32.

Was good last year but IMO fantasy football fans are a little too high on him. Was beneficiary of massive volume, when he got hurt he was about a whole target a game over the next WR in the NFL.

LAC could have extended him to lower the cap, did not look like they wanted to.

But still good at what he does, elite possession WR, did not see any sign of decline, nice pairing in offense for all the reasons Da Franchise pointed out a few posts up and if they let him walk after a year they probably get a comp pick.

No brainer move for the Bears with the cap space, cost to acquire, and incoming rookie QB.

NFC N looks fun, Minny’s got some work to do.

In terms of his play on the field, Allen had the best season of his career last season, and 2022 was arguably the second best. IMO he is not close to the cliff. His elite traits (football intelligence, route running, hands) are not generally affected by age.

However, moving from Herbert to (presumably) Williams is a downgrade. Not sure what his numbers will look like as a result.

It does feel like perhaps the Chargers are not aiming for the Playoffs in '24, maybe he told the FO he needs at least a year to reshape the team the way he would like them.

This is not true. If they weren't trying to contend in 2024, they would have traded Mack and probably Bosa, but instead they restructured both.

Apparently, they just did not value Allen as highly as he valued himself, and they are being disciplined in their approach to the cap in a way that the previous Chargers front office was not.

It does feel like perhaps the Chargers are not aiming for the Playoffs in '24, maybe he told the FO he needs at least a year to reshape the team the way he would like them.

This is not true. If they weren't trying to contend in 2024, they would have traded Mack and probably Bosa, but instead they restructured both.

Apparently, they just did not value Allen as highly as he valued himself, and they are being disciplined in their approach to the cap in a way that the previous Chargers front office was not.
Allen has always been my favorite non 49er. Have him on my dynasty team and this is a move in the wrong direction for FF but not as much as some people think IMO. I’m glad he declined the pay cut. Not his fault that management sucked and couldn’t manage the cap. He was fantastic last year and probably would have only missed a game or two if they had been in contention. With his route running ability, I think he has another 2 good years in him at least.

That makes a lot of sense

Users who are viewing this thread