What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

Add me to the list of skeptics for value this season. Halfway through the 3Q vs OAK, he had 1 target and zero catches. He looked great, after that, but I don't want to put a WR2 or WR3 in my lineup and have to hope for comeback-mode or garbage-time to avoid regretting my play.

The talent is definitely there, but as others have said, until he ceases to be 4th-option for Rivers, I'm not putting him in my lineup unless they're playing Denver.
How was Brown's targets through the same point in the game?
He was targeted early and often. I was actually quite impressed with his performance to be honest as he was getting separation for the first time all year.
Brown did look much better and was targetted 3 times in the 1st, then 4 times in the 3rd...

However, actually looking at the game again, I don't think we can really call the 4th quarter garbage time. They were within 7 after the Allen TD with 10 minutes left. Oakland got a FG on the next drive and they were down 10 with 4:24 left. That isn't garbage time... the game is on the line there and they were making a comeback (and almost did FWIW). On the next drive, SD drove down to the Oakland 4 yd line - Allen was targetted 3 times and Brown just once. Then Rivers threw a bad pass to Allen in the endzone for an INT. He was wide open and the pass was late / behind him. Allen had 5 targets in the 4th quarter. Brown had only 1. The game was on the line and he was looking to Allen often including twice in the endzone.

That says a lot about River's confidence in the rookie IMO. Garbage time? I think not.
Thanks for this, great observation and feedback.

GM
I second that thought... definitely puts the "garbage time" argument to rest

Last edited by a moderator:
He's an ideal WR3-4 right now in a great, high volume passing offense for PPR. He's clearly a big-time talent but he's started two games. There's really nothing to debate right now, in other words, he's good and is in a good situation and the Chargers will throw a lot against some bad defenses the rest of the season. But we havne't seen enough to truly trust him as a starter. That said, in those fantasypros rankings, almost 20 guys have him ranked 50th or below. That's just not paying attention. Whoever is turning in those rankings is clearly not a professional.
Yeah, its a joke. Last week I decided to roll out Allen and Williams over Stevie and Bowe and 99% of all experts would have told me I was doing it wrong.

Even now 78% say Bowe is the optimal start over Allen and I think that's pretty silly. Could Bowe outscore him this week? Absolutely. Should you be starting Bowe over Allen after what we've seen so far this season? Absolutely not.
Do I start this guy over AJ Green, Reggie Wayne, or TY Hilton at this juncture?
Yes, start him over AJ Green. Start him over Dez Bryant, Deymarius Thomas, and Brandon Marshall too. If you can, try to plug him into your QB slot too.

He's an ideal WR3-4 right now in a great, high volume passing offense for PPR. He's clearly a big-time talent but he's started two games. There's really nothing to debate right now, in other words, he's good and is in a good situation and the Chargers will throw a lot against some bad defenses the rest of the season. But we havne't seen enough to truly trust him as a starter. That said, in those fantasypros rankings, almost 20 guys have him ranked 50th or below. That's just not paying attention. Whoever is turning in those rankings is clearly not a professional.
Yeah, its a joke. Last week I decided to roll out Allen and Williams over Stevie and Bowe and 99% of all experts would have told me I was doing it wrong.

Even now 78% say Bowe is the optimal start over Allen and I think that's pretty silly. Could Bowe outscore him this week? Absolutely. Should you be starting Bowe over Allen after what we've seen so far this season? Absolutely not.
Do I start this guy over AJ Green, Reggie Wayne, or TY Hilton at this juncture?
Yes, start him over AJ Green. Start him over Dez Bryant, Deymarius Thomas, and Brandon Marshall too. If you can, try to plug him into your QB slot too.
Luckily we have a flex QB/WR spot he may be great for.

It was like that for dx at first last year when he was starting to go off. He is slowly going to rise up on fantasy pros. Im starting him over spiller.

But Allen is the guy who is emerging as the #1 wideout. It's not showing on the statline yet, but he will blow away that 5-6 ish floor on targets soon.
Depends on the stat. The stats I'm looking at (snap % and utilization, particularly in RZ; combined w/Floyd and adjusted for rookie transition) project him as a WR1 ROS, IF the offense (i.e. Rivers) keep it up all season. My eye test corroborates the story. Kid looks extremely polished out there.
The floor is a slightly safe estimate, as Floyd saw 5 and 6 targets himself in Weeks 1/2 and for the most part Allen has seen very similar looks (also ratio wise). He's also easily more talented then Floyd and once Rivers realizes that the dude can get open at will in tight spaces with his burst and quick feet (also plays extremely well into the offensive scheme), that floor could indeed rise.

If only this dude wasn't a rookie I'd be ready to label him a solid WR2 with WR1 upside due to the RZ love.

This may be for a new thread entirely, but seeing as how the NFL has evolved into almost a strict passing league, how much does it even matter that he's a rook? Is the learning curve still the same? A lot of rookie WRs have looked "wise beyond their years" to me thus far. Is this, abnormal?
Every situatuon is unique and this one is as good as it gets for a rookie to come on and be a fantasy producer.

College polish, good QB, good coach, injuries to two players ahead of him, talent that arguably exceeds those players, good supporting cast but no other legit NFL WR1 type talent. It's like a perfect storm for immediate fantasy production if Keenan is up to it. I think he is. The 3rd round selection actually helps too b/c it puts a chip on his shoulder.

Anyone starting Allen this week? Going back and forth between him and Miles Austin. I think Im more concerned about his matchup, Indy has been tough, than anything.

Anyone starting Allen this week? Going back and forth between him and Miles Austin. I think Im more concerned about his matchup, Indy has been tough, than anything.
I'm on board this week. IND hasn't played anyone near SD's caliber as it pertains to passing. Their rank against the pass is deceiving.

I'm on board this week. IND hasn't played anyone near SD's caliber as it pertains to passing. Their rank against the pass is deceiving.
Good point, but I think you could also say SD hasn't played a D as good as Indy's (overall, not just necessarily passing) as well.

Initially picked up Terrence Williams when I thought Austin would be out, then dropped him for Allen. I think with Austin playing that potentially kills the value of both Cowboy WRs in what would otherwise be a dream matchup. Allen's matchup is obviously tougher (though I would hardly say Indy is a shutdown D), but I still think he's a safer bet based on opportunity.

rascal said:
I should have picked him up instead of Jeffery...damnit
Umm no...
Well... not so sure about that. Yes, Jeffery did set Chicago records last week. But then he did nothing this week. Fact is Allen is the #1 target for Rivers the past 3 weeks compared to Jeffery who is the #2 target at best but possibly #3 in random weeks and on top of that Rivers is a better QB than Cutler right now.

rascal said:
I should have picked him up instead of Jeffery...damnit
Umm no...
Well... not so sure about that. Yes, Jeffery did set Chicago records last week. But then he did nothing this week. Fact is Allen is the #1 target for Rivers the past 3 weeks compared to Jeffery who is the #2 target at best but possibly #3 in random weeks and on top of that Rivers is a better QB than Cutler right now.
Rivers is going to spread the ball out to a lot of guys. I'm not so sure he's going to be the number one target going forward. I think both guys will be good pickups though.

shadyridr said:
Sabertooth said:
I had him on the bench for Nicks. Not again.
i had on the bench for andre. Never again
benched him for VJax, so that worked out. But methinks decker is going to get traded or benched moving forward. Kid looks polished out there for a rook.

Man, just a bad throw by Rivers. If that's a foot higher it's a 2nd TD. He's the clear red zone target it seems.

Before this game is through Allen will have another TD. Maybe on this drive rt here before the half.
Damn it...almost!

People who keep saying that rivers is just going to spread it around I just don't know what you are talking about. When rivers jives with a wr he feeds him. And he likes big physical targets.

Before this game is through Allen will have another TD. Maybe on this drive rt here before the half.
Damn it...almost!

People who keep saying that rivers is just going to spread it around I just don't know what you are talking about. When rivers jives with a wr he feeds him. And he likes big physical targets.
True... Gates, VJax... Allen?

Damn it...almost!People who keep saying that rivers is just going to spread it around I just don't know what you are talking about. When rivers jives with a wr he feeds him. And he likes big physical targets.
True... Gates, VJax... Allen?
Don't forget DX
I knew I was forgetting someone. Yeah, if DX could look as good as he did last season as "Phillip Rivers Guy" with how BAD Phillip Rivers looked last season? I'm excited for the next 10 weeks of hearing "Rivers to Allen". Cause Rivers has been playing at a top 5 level this far.

Users who are viewing this thread