What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Romeo Doubs, GB (3 Viewers)

Back to Doubs, watched his tape...looked pretty good but typically vs. softer competition.   He also lacked break away speed like the elite WRs in this class.  That being said, I'm still a buyer, could be the best WR on this team right now...and I like Lazard.

Aaron Rodgers on his new-look WR group: 'I like the guys that we got'

Excerpt:

There also could be help from the Packers' two WR draft picks, second-rounder Christian Watson and fourth-rounder Romeo Doubs. Watson remains on the physically unable to perform list, with Rodgers saying he expects him back "in a few weeks."

In his absence, Doubs has been one of the early standouts of camp, making several impressive catches, according to practice observers. Although Rodgers hasn't traditionally leaned on rookies heavily, Doubs clearly has made a positive early impression.

"Romeo Doubs has had a really nice start to the camp," Rodgers said. "He's been getting a lot of attention based on some of the plays that he's made. I like the approach. Very understated kid, very humble kid from kind of inner city L.A., made his way to Nevada.

"I was sitting with him at lunch the other day and really just marveling. It's surprising how many teams passed on him. Whatever reason it was, we all feel really good about Romeo and the start he's gotten off to."

NBC Sports' Peter King believes fourth-round WR Romeo Doubs will "have a prominent role early."​

Echoing what Aaron Rodgers said earlier this week, King said Doubs has "shined" during training camp. With Christian Watson on the sidelines, Doubs is getting reps with the first team, and every indication is he's making the most of those opportunities. His ADP is sure to rise as these reports continue to come in, but as it stands, he is an outstanding late-round target.

RELATED:
SOURCE: NFL on NBC YouTube
Aug 5, 2022, 8:41 PM ET

Seems like a real opportunity here for Doubs, but trying not to get too caught up in the hype. The historic landscape is littered with pre-season dynamos that faded into obscurity once the real games started.

Seems like a real opportunity here for Doubs, but trying not to get too caught up in the hype. The historic landscape is littered with pre-season dynamos that faded into obscurity once the real games started.
...in GB case it has been because guys like Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson were ahead of them. I feel like this is different because to me Lazard is JAG. I do think Lazard will get a lot of 3rd down looks and will get consistent targets throughout the season but I think the path has never ever been this wide open for somebody new to emerge in GB as the guy. It could still be Watson as well but Doubs drumbeat is much funkier and groovy ATM. I dig it.

...in GB case it has been because guys like Davante Adams and Jordy Nelson were ahead of them. I feel like this is different because to me Lazard is JAG. I do think Lazard will get a lot of 3rd down looks and will get consistent targets throughout the season but I think the path has never ever been this wide open for somebody new to emerge in GB as the guy. It could still be Watson as well but Doubs drumbeat is much funkier and groovy ATM. I dig it.
I grabbed him towards the end of my recent NFC draft, and I love that the drum-beat is getting louder. I hope the kid is the real deal. ARod seems to love throwing to him & has said as much - which is generally a great predictor of success for GB WRs..

The next milestone is Daubs making the plays in real games when he’s thrown to. I know that sounds obvious, but what I mean is, with established WR, a drop here or a poor route there wouldn’t necessarily be doom and gloom. Daubs needs to make the most of early opportunities to gain ARod’s trust.

If that happens, the sky’s the limit.

Is he solidly in round 2 of rookie drafts or round 3?
Round two without a question and I don't even think late in most cases.

I posted earlier I took him in round 5 back in May and within a few hours traded him away for a third in 2023. Was not trying to make that deal but someone was coming after him and I thought it fair and without any doubt as of now I'd take that back.

Top 5 receivers in Packers history:

1. Don Hutson

2. Sterling Sharpe

3. Davante Adams

4. Donald Driver

5. Romeo Doubs 2022 first week of training camp

The hype train is moving fast.
I heard the noise as well. I try to keep in perspective the training camp info. Although I kind of took the dropsiees Chase was having in camp more that normal. Look how that turned out. 😆

got him 3.08 before the hype.
Same ... Got him 3.05 in May Rookie Draft.... have had 3 offers in last 3 days ...mostly 3rd round pick offers 2023, but best was a projected late 2nd (they own A Rodgers too).
Still a hold for now ... I am in Rebuild but almost hit accept on that!

Looks good tonight. Beat man zero blitz easily from the slot for a 33 yard TD, then nice catch in traffic on a slant. Also had a step on the DB on another deep ball that was overthrown by Love. Interested to see him play with Rodgers.

Looks good tonight. Beat man zero blitz easily from the slot for a 33 yard TD, then nice catch in traffic on a slant. Also had a step on the DB on another deep ball that was overthrown by Love. Interested to see him play with Rodgers.
But before you enshrine him, he had a drop.

I hardly enshrined him. I didn't see the drop, so I'll take your word. He drew an illegal contact as well. Just now he's probably going to be involved in an interception on a tough catch he didn't appear to quite control. It's in review. Don't really blame him on that one as the throw was high and behind him. How about "cautiously encouraged and now interested in drafting Doubs in the later rounds"

I hardly enshrined him. I didn't see the drop, so I'll take your word. He drew an illegal contact as well. Just now he's probably going to be involved in an interception on a tough catch he didn't appear to quite control. It's in review. Don't really blame him on that one as the throw was high and behind him. How about "cautiously encouraged and now interested in drafting Doubs in the later rounds"
I was just seeing too much praise without game action. Cautious optimism is the way to go.

I have to admit I was hopeful and thinking of drafting him late but after the drop and letting the ball be intercepted which I thought he should catch I am fading him. I think Rodgers head would explode after those plays and not trust him again. However still more time to go so we’ll see how he finishes

So I guess we learned nothing from all the news about Chase dropping everything early in camp last season? There was actually a thread warning people about it and the panic was hysterical.

Rookie WRs can make a mistake or two early in camp and not necessarily be buried for the season - especially on a team that’s seriously lacking weapons in the passing game.

So I guess we learned nothing from all the news about Chase dropping everything early in camp last season? There was actually a thread warning people about it and the panic was hysterical.

Rookie WRs can make a mistake or two early in camp and not necessarily be buried for the season - especially on a team that’s seriously lacking weapons in the passing game.
I saw a lot to like, actually. The INT was a quick-breaking out route that was a poor throw, high and behind him. He nearly made a terrific catch IMO. He was targeted frequently and showed an ability to get open... open enough for Rodgers' accuracy for sure. I didn't see the drop, but also didn't see anything that wouldn't put him 3rd in the WR as of now, behind Lazard and Watkins IMO.

Saw enough to be cautiously optimistic and have him on my redraft board in the double-digit rounds....

Super fun to slot this guy. I have a keeper draft where you can keep a guy at his draft slot indefinitely.

This guy has like a 6 round spread in leagues like that.

Holy **** the kid gets 7 targets catches a TD and people are upset over a drop that was behind him and a tough contested INT (that was also behind him)?

He looked great and was involved early and often. His ADP is only going to go up from here.
I was unable to watch - my Airbnb doesn’t have a television. So I’m heartened by highlights I saw online, and observations like this.
:wub:

Not much notable coming out of GB about Christian Watson. I guess I could apply the same Chase logic.

Although neither Watson nor Doubs was a top 5 overall draft pick.

I do love Doubs as a late round flyer in redraft though. Exactly the kind of guy you fill out a roster with while others are foolishly participating in too early runs on kickers and defenses.

Holy **** the kid gets 7 targets catches a TD and people are upset over a drop that was behind him and a tough contested INT (that was also behind him)?

He looked great and was involved early and often. His ADP is only going to go up from here.
Dude. Don't do this to me. It's false outrage. We're trying to stifle the ADP.

Not much notable coming out of GB about Christian Watson. I guess I could apply the same Chase logic.

Although neither Watson nor Doubs was a top 5 overall draft pick.

I do love Doubs as a late round flyer in redraft though. Exactly the kind of guy you fill out a roster with while others are foolishly participating in too early runs on kickers and defenses.
Watson missed a lot of time with injury - not sure if he’s back practicing yet.

i saw the drop.

love threw the ball too late and behind. plus the sideline was approaching quick.

still high on romeo.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky believes Romeo Doubs is "probably" the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb and Sammy Watkins.​

Doubs scored for the second time in as many preseason games on Friday evening, though he also committed two drops. Aaron Rodgers has expressed frustration with his young wideouts, though he has not singled Doubs out by name. Coach Matt LaFleur has said he is willing to live with the mistakes because of Doubs' play-making ability. "It's not going to be perfect," LaFleur said. "He doesn't get fazed by a negative play. He just keeps on playing. That's what excites you about him. You see a guy with really good feet. He's gotten really good in his transition. He's got a burst. He's been able to separate, which is something that's tough to coach. Guys can either do it or they can't. There's stuff to clean up, for certain, but he's a guy that we are excited about it." They are glowing words, but it is clear Doubs will be beginning his career as a big-play role player, one who figures to mix spiked weeks with potential doughnuts.
SOURCE: ESPN
Aug 20, 2022, 10:15 AM ET

ESPN's Rob Demovsky believes Romeo Doubs is "probably" the Packers' No. 4 receiver behind Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb and Sammy Watkins.​

Doubs scored for the second time in as many preseason games on Friday evening, though he also committed two drops. Aaron Rodgers has expressed frustration with his young wideouts, though he has not singled Doubs out by name. Coach Matt LaFleur has said he is willing to live with the mistakes because of Doubs' play-making ability. "It's not going to be perfect," LaFleur said. "He doesn't get fazed by a negative play. He just keeps on playing. That's what excites you about him. You see a guy with really good feet. He's gotten really good in his transition. He's got a burst. He's been able to separate, which is something that's tough to coach. Guys can either do it or they can't. There's stuff to clean up, for certain, but he's a guy that we are excited about it." They are glowing words, but it is clear Doubs will be beginning his career as a big-play role player, one who figures to mix spiked weeks with potential doughnuts.
Obviously, he has to gain the trust of Rodgers... but does Lazard or an older Cobb/Watkins seem like significant barriers to anyone?

Obviously, he has to gain the trust of Rodgers... but does Lazard or an older Cobb/Watkins seem like significant barriers to anyone?

If Lazard, Cobb & Watkins were viewed as key contributors for a long term WR Corp build, they would not have spent draft capital on Watson, Doubs and Toure!

Long term? No. But if Doubs continues to drop the ball Rodgers will look elsewhere

Aaron Rodgers said the standard for Romeo Doubs "is not going to be the standard for a normal rookie we’ve had here in the past.”​

Rodgers added that Doubs "is going to be expected to play based on his performance so far in camp." The Packers have infamously seen some of their brightest stars begin their respective careers in a painfully slow fashion. Jordy Nelson and Davante Adams took four and five seasons to reach their first 1,000-yard campaigns. The praise from Rodgers could go a long way in Doubs earning playing time as a rookie. Rodgers also gave some praise to second-round rookie Christian Watson, who just came off the PUP list. Allen Lazard remains the top option in Green Bay, though it's possible that someone else is pacing the team in targets by the end of the season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Zach Kruse on Twitter
Aug 22, 2022, 5:46 PM ET

I dealt him in a league where I needed both LB and WR. Ended up flipping him for Claypool and Lavonte David.

Still have him in a couple others, so hoping he's solid for this team. I can see him with 775 yards and 5 TDs on the season.

The situation in Green Bay truly fascinates me. I do have concerns though because this kind of reminds me of those last few seasons of Tom Brady in New England. If guys aren't out there getting separation, it doesn't matter how accurate the throw is.

Maybe not regular season, but definitely in the playoffs. Kinda think Tonyan has a big year. I don't know for certainty if any of the WRs are going to be consistent enough to be startable. Doubs, Cobb, Watson, Lazard, Watkins. Just seems like it's going to end up being a different guy every week. Almost seems like GB wants to be a run first, smashmouth, defensive team. If I had to put all my eggs in one basket, I will pickup Christian Watson. What Doubs did is nice, but it was in Watson's absence so it wasn't as if he was outshining the 2nd Round pedigree player.
Should Watson have been practicing at the time, I assume would have garnered some buzz himself.

But you can't praise who isn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread