What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yellowstone - Paramount TV (1 Viewer)

To make us wonder.. Will he, or won't he :oldunsure:

I was one thinking he just might, but not now. 
Ok. Well these shows are in the business of creating drama.  Now that she’s pregnant it turns up the drama even more should it happen. Not the other way around.  

Fan of the show, but please stop the 6666 story line. There better be some kind of payoff, because if the only message is that life is better on a ranch in Texas than Montana, it's working. And it's boring.
This is frustrating me too.  The writer is so focused on the spinoffs that I’m having a hard time enjoying what little we get of this season. 

Between ram truck commercials, 1883 trailers and 6666’s setup stuff, we get like 20 minutes of Yellowstone.  It’s rushed and some of it is scattered and shallow.  Not to mention the 6666’s “star” is Jimmy the idiot circus boy.  

:wall:

well I would think most cucks would love her.    who in their right mind would ever "sitting in front of child talking about sex, erogenous zones, prostate issues, and dropping F bombs at the dinner table?"  I think the writers have done enough making her "The baddest mother ####er who has ever lived!"  I can't actually believe people enjoy her banter at this point.  

She officially jumped the shark tonight.  Just ridiculous.  And I am one that has completely embraced the soap opera nature of the show.

There have been a few great moments, but Season 3 almost fills like a "Filler" season.   :kicksrock:

For the 2nd to last episode of the season.. not much really happened..

Kacey going on a sprit journey, John telling Beth she went to far, there is a new sheriff in town and he isn't like the others. Oh and Jimmy is a cowboy now and will have to decide between a woman who likes him for what he is, or one that wants him to become more. 

Have to hope the season finale isn't a "Wait until next season" again..
Hoping that with Beth going to the prison to confront the Hitman, she finds out about Jamie's Dad being behind it and that Jamie knows.
Then her and Rip take matters in their own hands and take both to the Train station.

But my guess, the way this season has gone, she'll find out... but we will have to wait until next season to see what she does with the information. 

It has been an underwhelming season. 
Average episode ranking each season based on IMDB voting:

S1 - 8.4
S2 - 8.7
S3 - 8.6
S4 - 8.4

I agree that this season seems a little subpar, but the majority of people seem to think it’s similar to other seasons. 

S1 - 8.4
S2 - 8.7
S3 - 8.6
S4 - 8.4

I agree that this season seems a little subpar, but the majority of people seem to think it’s similar to other seasons. 
Although I think season 4 has been underwhelming.......I do believe it is setting season 5 up, to be quite explosive. We have some things that are reaching a boiling point on a few fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:

S1 - 8.4
S2 - 8.7
S3 - 8.6
S4 - 8.4

Pretty evident that Costner has taken over the writers room no matter what it says on the actual credits. There's an episode called, "I Want To Be Him" and it's Finn Little (Carter the Card Shark Stray) trying not to laugh out loud while saying it about John Dutton.

This happened on 3000 Miles To Graceland, Costner was approached and signed on and cast as the "bad guy", then he tried to make himself not be the bad guy, but make Kurt Russell the bad guy. Chaos reigned and Russell had to take over the film because the director didn't have the power to stop Costner.

Somehow Dutton saved lives in a diner in a massive shootout except those guys would likely have robbed the place and left. Or Rip could have ambushed them coming outside the door.

The ratings game is carried by Costner ( drawing in older women) , Cole Hauser (massive EScore returns on adult women across the entire range, he's in Anson Mount territory now) and Luke Grimes ( carries a legacy LGBT audience from True Blood )  Just a reality of modern TV, if you can't get a large scale female audience, odds are your show will die.

Finn Little as Carter is pretty impressive given the situation. It's clear the Tate character is going to get phased out. Just too expensive to have two child actors on the show like this.

Cole Hauser needs his own show as Rip. He's the backbone of the show, not Costner. If people are upset Sheridan is leaving for two spinoffs, don't blame him. That's what Joss Whedon did when he got fed up with Sarah Michelle Gellar on Buffy. He just left the show with someone else and did something different where he had creative control again. SMG had to pay for that her entire career. People despised her and no one wanted to work with her. I'll give Costner credit though, playing himself - the uptight self righteous omnipotent in his own mind narcissist as a straight grim false self deprecating white male is like someone selling buggy whips at a current auto show.

Costner is Dan Snyder with more charisma. That's it. Everyone else is a David Putney in his eyes.

I hope next season we get more shots of horses running full speed and sliding their ### in the dirt.  That always makes for a good 10 minute segue to a Ram Truck commercial and Jimmy's love life.   The best part of the season was seeing Tom Hanks.  I know it was for 1883 but the way they interlace the two shows I will give both of them credit. 

I hope next season we get more shots of horses running full speed and sliding their ### in the dirt.  That always makes for a good 10 minute segue to a Ram Truck commercial and Jimmy's love life.   The best part of the season was seeing Tom Hanks.  I know it was for 1883 but the way they interlace the two shows I will give both of them credit. 
Couldn't agree more about the horses. Way too much of that this year. 

Just been a "meh" season. Just not very good. Almost as if they didn't think it would make it this far. 

I am getting the vibe that they are in a type of purgatory, and the final episode will end with Jack's eye closing.

Just finished watching first 3 seasons. 

Decent show but they did a terrible job building character early as I had no idea who the brother was that died in the early cattle scene.  Also, appatently Monica's brother died?

Rip?  Seriously?  I would have bet $1,000 his name was Rick.  

I guess I have to now figure out how to watch season 4 as it doesn't appear to be on Paramount app.

Just finished watching first 3 seasons. 

Decent show but they did a terrible job building character early as I had no idea who the brother was that died in the early cattle scene.  Also, appatently Monica's brother died?

Rip?  Seriously?  I would have bet $1,000 his name was Rick.  

I guess I have to now figure out how to watch season 4 as it doesn't appear to be on Paramount app.
It’s on regular cable/satellite if you have the Paramount channel. 

If she wanted to listen to a sad song and cry, she should have just used headphones and her Spotify account like a normal person. 
I think she came out to the bunk house looking for Rip but didn't want to insert herself into the game to pull him out in the state of mind she was in and when Walker went out she pivoted to the song idea.  

I know you were joking just pointing out I don't think she came out to the bunk house to have Walker sing her a song.  It just happened.  It was super weird though and knowing Beth I thought she was going to throw herself at Walker hoping Rip would see so he would kick Walker's ### to take her mind off her problems.  

This is frustrating me too.  The writer is so focused on the spinoffs that I’m having a hard time enjoying what little we get of this season. 

Between ram truck commercials, 1883 trailers and 6666’s setup stuff, we get like 20 minutes of Yellowstone.  It’s rushed and some of it is scattered and shallow.  Not to mention the 6666’s “star” is Jimmy the idiot circus boy.  

:wall:
This.  I love the show generally, but this season has been bad.  I'm fast-forwarding every 6666 scene and everything involving Jamie and his dad because Jamie is so cartoonish.  And you're right, after I skip that and watch what are basically the previews for 1883, there's only like 10 mins of Beth and John yelling at each other.

Few episodes behind but Walker fighting and throwing haymakers the day after his shoulder had a knife in it is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on tv. 
These guys are freaking cowboys.  They're tougher than rawhide.  They don't sit at their computers thinking up wisecracks all day long. 

thecatch said:
Payne said:
Couldn't agree more about the horses. Way too much of that this year. 
I kind of enjoy that stuff.  It's a peek at a different world than the one I live in.
Some of my favorite parts have been when there has been no talking and just "Cowboy" stuff.. Wrangling up cows, horses.. breaking wild horses, showing the skills of the horses and cowboys..

All of it has been entertaining and, as you said, a view into a world not seen by many. :thumbup:  

seahawk 17 said:
bigbottom said:
The whole thing with Beth, Walker and Rip was just super weird to me. 
I thought the same thing. I think it may be a set up for Rip to end Walker once and for all. 
I think the strangest thing was Walker walking to her, instead of motioning to Rip that she was at the door..

I don't have the best memory in the world, but I don't recall them having a relationship that would make him feel it was his place to go comfort her.. :shrug:  

I think the strangest thing was Walker walking to her, instead of motioning to Rip that she was at the door..

I don't have the best memory in the world, but I don't recall them having a relationship that would make him feel it was his place to go comfort her.. :shrug:  

Well, it wasn’t a relationship per se, but he might have been up for round 2.  The dude does like to live dangerously. 

Capella said:
Few episodes behind but Walker fighting and throwing haymakers the day after his shoulder had a knife in it is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on tv. 
I don't know.. Jimmy just shrugging off a broken back seemed pretty legit as well. 

Beth surviving the bomb and walking out and then really no federal investigation life goes on in montana is the jumping point where I tapped out
:lmao:   :lmao:  that was my wife and my major complaint when we started watching. “Wouldn’t this be on the nightly news for a week? Why aren’t the feds there?”

seahawk 17 said:
I thought the same thing. I think it may be a set up for Rip to end Walker once and for all. 

The point of Walker and Beth is that Beth Dutton will self sabotage any chance she has at happiness. Seeing Rip and Carter bond and having fun WITHOUT HER is too much for her. So she'll destroy what's good for her.

There's an old Indian saying, but it's a saying used everywhere - Don't stay with the one you love, stay with the one that loves you.

The point of the Jimmy/Emily story is to show the difference between a relationship with self acceptance ( it's pretty far fetched that someone as good looking at Kathyrn Kelly wouldn't have 20 guys in line to marry her in that world) and one where it can't exist ( Beth with Carter, Beth with Rip, Beth with her father, Beth with Jamie)  The only relationship where Beth seems to not self destruct is with Kayce, and that's because he's the youngest. She doesn't see him as an adult thus doesn't see him as a threat.

But the biggest motivator for Beth's self sabotage is it's "Not John Dutton's Fault"

The entire show is built around all the bad things that happen around Yellowstone is NOT because of John Dutton. He's just a "good man" who is fair and always right and it's the rest of the world that is horrible and evil and broken.

Taylor Sheridan actually made a functional decision here. The "audience" is given the view point of a narcissist. You see the world through the window of a pure narcissist because that's the only way you can stomach Costner's ego.

It's pretty sad what Costner has inflicted on this show. Did the episode need THREE full references that Piper Perabo slept with a man old enough to be her father by choice. Couldn't just hint at sex, no, just have to drive it home three times. To show how virile the great John Dutton is to all things he wants to conquer.

Costner is a diamond level David Caruso. That's all this is about. He has the same psychotic high maintenance diva like insufferable ego as Caruso, but has actual movie star pull to do it.

Beth surviving the bomb and walking out and then really no federal investigation life goes on in montana is the jumping point where I tapped out

John Dutton hires former criminals. He can't hide this fact from anyone.

John Dutton has a son killed in a violent shootout over cattle. The coroner commits "suicide". He can't hide this fact from anyone.

John Dutton has an assassination attempt taken against his life that causes the death of a woman and her child near him. At the same time, hits are placed on his daughter and his son. He can't hide this fact from anyone.

John Dutton's rivals, like Danny Huston, end up dead. The rival in Martin Beck is presumed dead. The rival in Sawyer from Lost is dead. He can't hide this fact from anyone.

John Dutton then gets into a shootout with criminals in a diner that gets the sheriff killed. He can't hide this fact from anyone.

What's bizarre is Jamie can't seem to find a way to ruin John Dutton in the press when all of the known public perception is not that Costner is some kind of throwback hero, but that he's a gangster. That he runs a criminal empire.

The show only makes sense if John Dutton is actually a gangster. But you can't have that since Costner will only play a hero character. He's gotta be "John Dunbar from his Oscar moment three decades ago"  Rip Wheeler as a small  time rancher struggling to get by caught in the middle of a war between Chief Rainwater ( gangster) and Dutton ( gangster) and Danny Huston ( put him in the governor role) would have been must watch TV. This show was meant to be built around Cole Hauser's character.

:lmao:   :lmao:  that was my wife and my major complaint when we started watching. “Wouldn’t this be on the nightly news for a week? Why aren’t the feds there?”
Not that it matters or makes any of it any more believable, but there was a scene with Jamie/Kaycee where he basically told him he used his power as the Attorney General to make all of that go away. 

@GordonGekko I find your posts in this thread fascinating. The reason is because the way you present yourself in this forum is so very much like the John Dutton character. And yet you’re so critical of his personae. Do you disagree? I know you’d rather be compared to Rip, but the way you present here is not as someone who would be a lapdog to someone like John Dutton. 

@GordonGekko I find your posts in this thread fascinating. The reason is because the way you present yourself in this forum is so very much like the John Dutton character. And yet you’re so critical of his personae. Do you disagree? I know you’d rather be compared to Rip, but the way you present here is not as someone who would be a lapdog to someone like John Dutton. 

In what ways do you see myself like John Dutton?

I'm willing to hear you out.

Too much Beth
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I agree with you.  She is just a miserable human being.  She'd be the kind of character you would love to hate if she were one of the "bad guys" but to have her as part of the family you are supposed to be pulling for is painful.  I get there has to be some family drama to make it interesting, but her drama is overboard.

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I agree with you.  She is just a miserable human being.  She'd be the kind of character you would love to hate if she were one of the "bad guys" but to have her as part of the family you are supposed to be pulling for is painful.  I get there has to be some family drama to make it interesting, but her drama is overboard.
consider yourself lucky, we have one in our family and it is painful. I also work with a lot of Beth’s, i think the military is where they tend to thrive as it embraces alphas no matter what sex. 

Who are you rooting for? There’s nothing redeemable about any of them. 

How about a new show where Columbo or Jessica Fletcher vacations in Montana and stumbles upon the train station while on a trail ride and then jumps on the case to figure out what is going on in that town.  

Beth is throwing temper tantrums while crushing whiskey and pills in the second episode. Some of you are just sick of her character maybe? Can’t blame you. She’s awful. 

Grahamburn said:
Who are you rooting for? There’s nothing redeemable about any of them. 
I root for Rip to kick people's butt.  I root for Casey.  Again, I'm in the minority, but Jimmy doesn't offend me.  He's an idiot, but a likeable idiot.  I certainly don't root for the whole Dutton ranch, but some have redeeming qualities.  Beth has zero, unless you consider her loyalty to her dad to be the worst possible human she can to serve his interests are redeeming.

On another note, some have posted complaints about the long cuts of the scenery or rodeo footage.  I watched part of S1Ep1 on the marathon yesterday.  I don't think it really has changed much.  There was a caravan to go round up some horses on the reservation, and it was a 5 minute shot of all the Ford trucks (must have changed sponsors at some point) and helicopter going down the road.  The show, I don't think, ever was an hour straight of action without a significant element of that type of footage.

and it was a 5 minute shot of all the Ford trucks (must have changed sponsors at some point)
I knew it!  I was too lazy to go back and check but kept commenting to my wife that the rigs USED to be Fords. I, being a Ford fan, loved that even in the 6666-jimmy season, the expensive horses were still being transported with a big Ford truck.

subpar season in my opinion.  

can redeem themselves if we get Rip just kicking ### all night long instead of the horse montages.

Users who are viewing this thread