What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your biggest FF surprises, disappointments, (1 Viewer)

Grady Wilson

Footballguy
For me, the biggest surprises were

1. Bowe

2. DJax

3. McCoy

I don't think anyone knew Bowe would blow up like this. I'm sure many had DJax and McCoy higher than I did, but I honestly thought Jackson was nothing more than a few long balls and that was it. I didn't like McCoy mainly because he wasn't proven and I didn't trust Kolb.

For me, the biggest disappointments were Deangelo Williams and Randy Moss. Even before he got hurt, Williams was doing nothing. I knew Carolina would be bad, but not that bad. And as for Moss, I was thrilled to get him as my #1 WR.

And last, two players I targeted in each draft that I felt the most confident in was Nicks and Foster. I know neither of them had proven anything before the season started, but I felt as though both were in ideal situations. I still remember drafting in my league where I won the most money and remember people after the draft saying how they thought Foster was going to be a huge bust.

As far as disappointments go, Larry Fitzgerald was a huge disappointment. I know it wasn't his fault though with the QB situation he had to work with. He's still an elite talent who I would welcome on my team next season.

Even though I had foster in my top 20 RBS for the year before my draft, I consider him one of the biggest.

I dropped bowe after a few games because I saw the same guy as last season and a running team.....that blew up in my face.

R. Moss has to be one of the biggest busts. He was the # 1 receiver on some people's board...

orton is one for me....top 5 numbers for over half the year!

Biggest surprise was Vick (thanks for the championship dawg!), followed by Brandon Lloyd (totally out of left field success).

Biggest disappointment...by a long shot....was Randy Moss. Guy was a TD machine for over a decade, then just fell off a cliff.

I had a lot of luck this year.

Jamaal Charles

Dwayne Bowe

Malcolm Floyd

Ahmad Bradshaw(Huge value for his draft position)

Kyle Orton off of waivers

Janikowski off of waivers (huge the last 2 weeks, 18 pts in SB)

Picking Calvin Johnson instead of Randy Moss

Blount off of waivers before anyone knew who he was (Thanks FBG Shark Pool!!! :goodposting: )

Sticking with Ray Rice - The few big weeks he had were weeks when I needed him to come up big.

Rotating Defenses

Middle of the road QB Joe Flacco instead of a higher draft pick.

Drafted Cassell but dropped him for Orton. I expected Cassell to be good but the slow start made me panic.

Biggest surprises for me were Vick and Steve Johnson. Tried to trade Johnson in my dynasty league earlier this year and couldn't get anyone to take him... glad about that now!

For me, the biggest surprises were 1. Bowe2. DJax3. McCoyI don't think anyone knew Bowe would blow up like this. I'm sure many had DJax and McCoy higher than I did, but I honestly thought Jackson was nothing more than a few long balls and that was it. I didn't like McCoy mainly because he wasn't proven and I didn't trust Kolb.For me, the biggest disappointments were Deangelo Williams and Randy Moss. Even before he got hurt, Williams was doing nothing. I knew Carolina would be bad, but not that bad. And as for Moss, I was thrilled to get him as my #1 WR.And last, two players I targeted in each draft that I felt the most confident in was Nicks and Foster. I know neither of them had proven anything before the season started, but I felt as though both were in ideal situations. I still remember drafting in my league where I won the most money and remember people after the draft saying how they thought Foster was going to be a huge bust.
Bowes 2 goose eggs knocked all of the Bowe owners out in my leagues. DJax owners all went down as well.

Other than Vick, players that I picked up along the way that helped me win out:

1. Green-Ellis

2. Woodhead

3. Blount

Id guess alot of championship teams had either Vick or Foster, or both on their team.

Id guess alot of championship teams had either Vick or Foster, or both on their team.
I did. Foster was my big pan out in the draft (my first three rounds were a disaster) and Vick was my biggest pickup.Randy Moss was the biggest disappointment and my number one pick.Ryan Matthews was a huge disappointment and my second round pick.Miles Austin was a disappointment and so weird in his output that I didn't even start him in the championship game.Cutler did not pan out very well for the early part of the year so my QB plan needed something else.Surprise:TO for the regular season anyway was an 8th round pick and kept me afloat.Picking up Dwayne Bowe. The guy in our league that drafted him was so disgusted with his output that he dropped him and I managed to pick him up.Picking up Vick after seeing him in week one playing so well against the Pack. I jumped on that one and it paid off. Too bad he had to be hurt for a big chunk of the year but he did just enough this week to get me the title.And of course Arian Foster that I mentioned above.The rest of my team was a malaise of pickups, drops, and shuffling. Shaun Hill even won a week for me along the way.

I did. Foster was my big pan out in the draft (my first three rounds were a disaster) and Vick was my biggest pickup.Randy Moss was the biggest disappointment and my number one pick.Ryan Matthews was a huge disappointment and my second round pick.Miles Austin was a disappointment and so weird in his output that I didn't even start him in the championship game.Cutler did not pan out very well for the early part of the year so my QB plan needed something else.Surprise:TO for the regular season anyway was an 8th round pick and kept me afloat.Picking up Dwayne Bowe. The guy in our league that drafted him was so disgusted with his output that he dropped him and I managed to pick him up.Picking up Vick after seeing him in week one playing so well against the Pack. I jumped on that one and it paid off. Too bad he had to be hurt for a big chunk of the year but he did just enough this week to get me the title.And of course Arian Foster that I mentioned above.The rest of my team was a malaise of pickups, drops, and shuffling. Shaun Hill even won a week for me along the way.
Austin did not live up to last seasons standards but still finished 14th in WR scoring. Worth a start in any league.

Drafting Peyton Hillis in freeagent/rookie drafts was a huge suprise for me. I got him the the 3rd round (3 rounds total) in a couple of leagues and then bid all my BBID bucks for him after week one. He was a stud for most of the year and is for real.

Another big suprise was Mike Williams (TB) being as good as he was. Took a flyer on him in round 14? (I don't remember) of my 12 team redraft and he was a fixture most of the year. Getting TO also very cheap in several leagues Free agent drafts (talking dynasty leagues) grabbed him the second round (again 3 round drafts) of 3 dynasty leagues and he was a stud most weeks. Really missed him week 16 in a couple of leagues.

Biggest letdowns were the fizzling out of Boldin and Wayne and the Randy Moss disaster. I love Wayne and Boldin and they both are still high quality FF starters and NFL #1 WR's but man talk about a buzz kill in week 14, 15 and 16. Just brutal. And Randy Moss was unreal. When the Pats let him go it really spelled certain doom for this year. I am very curious to see where he ends up next season as I think he can still be a big contributor to the right team. I saw him on Monday night vs the Dolphins. He was still drawing double coverage all night so Welker could carve up underneath. Moss can still help teams win. I think he wil be a major buy low (I am talking dirt cheap) next year and worth the price as it will be so small. Kinda like LT2 this year. He was dirt cheap and very servicable for 70% of the season.

Also the injuries. Just a huge amount of injuries especially at the TE position.

It was probably the strangest season I had ever seen in FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta mention McFadden. I liked the reports on both he and Bowe coming out of camp and snatched them both up. Gronkowski was a pleasant fantasy surprise as well. Gates was the only TE to score more TDs. Most of the speculation was that there were too many options in NE and too many of the TE targets would go to Hernandez. He and Tamme helped me weather losing Finley.

Austin did not live up to last seasons standards but still finished 14th in WR scoring. Worth a start in any league.
His targets plummeted when Kitna took over. He had probably his best game this week but with Britt, Bowe, and V. Jackson all able to start for me he sat on the bench.

I REALLY wanted Boldin this year - so glad I didnt get him.
He was a monster and started great. It was not him. It was the team. They did not use him enough later in the year. I expect a bounce back next season big time. Mason is probably done, Housh is also very old and average.Buy low.

Mason is Flacco's go to guy - until Mason leaves or retires, Boldin wont have WR1 numbers. Although I also think boldin helped Mason by drawing coverage that he would have had without boldin there.

Disappointment? I managed to get Randy Moss in round two to pair with AJ and Roddy in 1 and 3. Imagine my lineup if those three had all been in it every week performing?!?!

Surprise - I knew TB Mike would be good, that's why I drafted him. But to have started him almost every single week was a huge surprise for me.

Happy things: I nailed Roddy and Santana Moss this year. The only two guys I felt for sure were undervalued and wanted on my redraft and, in Roddy's case, dynasty teams. I got Roddy in the 3rd round of like 4 drafts, and traded for him in two more dynasty leagues.

Santana was available very late as far as redrafts go. I could have plugged him in for Mike Williams and got almost the same production every game of the year, except he was better week 15 and worse week 16. Trading one Moss early on and getting the "other" Moss+ was a sweet deal.

BIG disappointment for me was Sidney Rice's injuries and Crabtree's QBs. I paired the two in a couple dynasty leagues and it screwed me, having little to no WR production all year, especially after Dez went down.

Mason is Flacco's go to guy - until Mason leaves or retires, Boldin wont have WR1 numbers. Although I also think boldin helped Mason by drawing coverage that he would have had without boldin there.
I hear ya. I think Mason is done after this season. But if not I also feel Flacco will be looking Boldins way much more next season, and I think Boldin will be big in the post season this year re-enforcing their growing chemistry into next season.Boldin is a stud. He just did not get the looks. Although in week 16 he had a sure TD but Flacco missed him in the endzone and also he had a step on a deep fly route the Flacco badly underthrew for a pick. So thems the breaks.

how about ronnie brown for a disappointment? or am i the only jerk to have used a 3rd rd pick on him?

Crickets.

Yeah you may be. Ouch man.

Bowe: I picked up in week six but sat him just make sure he was for real. Played him every week since even through the low times.

McFadden: Picked up McFadden in week six and sat him until he was healthy.

Charles: Traded Charles for Rodgers and a couple weeks later traded Moreno for Charles.

V Jax: Picked him up off waivers a couple hours before game time week 15, the first week of playoffs.

IR losses: Dallas Clark and Mark Clayton.

Bonehead drop: Hakeem Nicks

Surprise -> Brady.

I felt like I overreached and overpaid for him in my auction league.... he had a great start, then they traded Moss and Brady's numbers were so bad I felt like selling him cheap or even dropping him.... but then he really finished strong.

Before the year I thought he could return to form and he ended up side by side with Vick as the No. 1 QB in my league.

The biggest disappointment(s):

Drafting Jerome Harrison and Michael Bush on the suspicion that the Cleveland and Oakland running games would be strong this year.... but not covering my bets by grabbing Hillis and McFadden too.

Guys I was high on who delivered:

Josh Freeman

Peyton Hillis

Ahmad Bradshaw

Mike Williams (TB)

Mike Wallace

Guys who surprised me:

Terrell Owens

Sam Bradford

Austin Collie

Brandon Lloyd

Michael Vick

Guys I'm glad I didn't draft:

DeAngelo Williams

Steve Smith (Car)

Randy Moss

Donovan McNabb

Kevin Kolb

Guys who I was pretty high on who didn't do much:

Devin Hester

Johnny Knox (had an okay year but I expected more TDs)

Michael Bush (that injury killed his season)

Jabar Gaffney

Zach Miller

On a team where I didn't have any RBs... traded Nicks for McFadden and drafted Blount late in the rookie draft.

Users who are viewing this thread