What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your first ever draft pick (1 Viewer)

Pretty new to this fantasy thing. 2007 - First pick was Addai at #3 which actually worked out quite well, think he finished top 5. Sadly, my starting receivers were Lee Evans and Roy Williams. F.

Shaun Alexander at 1.4 in dynasty, year after he broke the record, killed me. Picked Maroney as a rookie in the 3rd, bust. Took Ron Dayne in the 8th, held him most of the year but after weeks of doing nothing I dropped him, then he went crazy the last 4 or 5 weeks. But I did get Frank Gore in the 10th, that worked out pretty good. O and Kitna in the 15th who was a killer fantasy QB for 2 seasons

Edit: Almost forgot Maurice Jones Drew in round 19, steal of draft

Last edited by a moderator:
1991 - my first year of Fantasy Football.

Had #1 pick and took Emmitt Smith (over Sanders I believe). More memorable was my RB2, a name I hadn't thought about in years....Robert Delpino. Only reason I took him was because he went to Mizzou. Even with Emmitt my first season was forgettable. Second season I got Emmitt again and paired him with Serling Sharp and I think Cunningham. Now that was a team. Won my first title.

1998: 12 team redraft; I think 4th overall pick, took Curtis Martin his 1st year w/ NYJ.... Had a solid year, led me to playoffs game, though he was on my bench in the semi-finals when he faced Buff as I started rookie Fred Taylor @ Minny... That move got me into the championship game as Martin had only thirty-something yds & Taylor had almost 130 total yds (I won semi-final by 2 pts). I took a lot of grief before kick-off for sitting my "stud"; I recognized early on that defensive stats can be misleading--Minny gave up little rushing yds, but I knew that was largely b/c they were blowing people out, so teams didn't run in 2nd half. I felt strongly the Jags would run the ball no matter what...and they did. Sorry for the life story, just reminiscing.

Mine was either Marino or Elway, back in about 1990-91. 12-team league. The guy who was running the league picked 12th. All newbies but him. We were all taking QBs, Rice, etc. He took Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas at the turn. A lesson was learned by all in that moment.

It was either Robert Smith or Jerry Rice in 1998. The scoring system was weird and all done by the commish. I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Ended up with Drew Bledsoe at QB. There was no in-season add/drop unless you lost a player to IR. I did. And there must have been a ton of undrafted talent to choose from for that coveted open spot. But for some reason I picked up Jason Garrett.

Of my current dynasty leagues, my first draft pick was Laurence maroney at 1.11 back in 2007. :goodposting:

of course, my SECOND draft pick in that league was MJD

Randall Cunningham 1991, and I still hate Bryce Paup to this day. I did trade Neal Anderson, Chris Doleman and Everson Walls for Barry Sanders right after the draft, though.

In 1979 my cousin called me and told me his rec director told him about this thing called fantasy football. He convinced me and another cousin to play and I ended up winning it. I took Earl Cambell with my first pick.

Took Marshall Faulk #1 1998 keeper league, after Trent Green went down watched Vermiel cry and picked up Kurt Warner at 307 AM Tues nite waivers- they took me to title that year in my first year of FF

Hooked ever since....

Steve Young with the #1 overall pick in 1994. Paired him with an emerging Chris Warren in the 2nd and made it all the way to the title game.

Took Chris Warren in the 1st the following year and followed that up with Brett Favre in the second (his breakout year) to make it back to the title game.

1988 - Neal Anderson, don't remember exactly what pick in the draft, but it was late in the 1st round.

Icky Woods - don't remember the year but I think he went on IR after 1st week. Blew the league away anyway with Montana and Rice (I think it was Rice's breakout year)

Eddie George 1997. I had him...Elway, Napolean Kaufman (who had a good year) Denver D, Jason Elam, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe and like 4 weeks into the season I traded Jermaine Lewis, Marvin Harrison and another RB ( I want to say Charlie Garner) for Terrell Davis. I rolled....ROLLED up until the League Conference Finals when Denver lost to San Fran on Monday night. I was pissed because the next week Denver thumped SD.

ETA: Just remembered a name. Jeff Blake was my second round pick.

T.D. the year he got hurt. But I turned the corner in the 2nd and 3rd with Manning/Harrison. I picked up Warner after Week 1. After Harrison scores 5 touchdowns in the 1st 2 weeks, I trade him for Faulk. Later in the year, I trade Warner for C. Martin. In retrospect, I lost some points by trading Warner over Manning. But I won the league championship.

The following year I crapped the bed. I drafted Brad Johnson 1st in 2 leagues.

I started playing FF in 2000. My first pick was Marshall Faulk. I am not sure what pick in the first round I had. But I do know in 2001 he scored 4 TD's in my championship game for me. Needless to say I won going away.

Thank You for Marshall Faulk!!!!

I dont know if it's too many years or too many leagues but this thread makes me realize I have no clue who or when I first started playing.... guestimating late 80's or early 90s .... I do know I have commished my redraft since 94.

Ill be racking my brain trying to remember my first league/pick all day now...ugh

1998. AFC-ONLY 8-team TD-heavy league. Took Bettis at 1.3. Davis and Kordell went before him. Not a smart pick as Kordell vultured many TDs back then.

I dont know if it's too many years or too many leagues but this thread makes me realize I have no clue who or when I first started playing.... guestimating late 80's or early 90s .... I do know I have commished my redraft since 94.Ill be racking my brain trying to remember my first league/pick all day now...ugh
I don't know how so many folks are remembering theirs either. Gawd--1993 or 1994, working off the USA Today, I got no clue. :wub:

somewhat on topic.. one of early years when we used Cliff Charpentier's (sp?) book - it was the bible for our purposes. One of the last minute entries proceeded to draft a Kicker early... like round 3 .. and if that was not bad enough, he then proceeded to draft a backup kicker in Round 4. I don't think he lasted more than that one season...

2001 -- Edge James. Had the first pic and chose him over Faulk. Was ok until he blew out his ACL which hurt all the more since my RB2 was Ricky Watters who got injured early in the year and I hadnt handcuffed Shaun Alexander. Didn't even make the playoffs that year.

Not sure if it was my first overall fantasy football pick, but it's most certainly the one I remember the best from my very early days. Was the 99-00 season, he was coming off a huge season, his first with the Jets, where he threw for 29 TDs to only 7 INTs. Good ole Vinny Testaverde.

I had drafted him as my #1 QB, obviously, and the draft was held up in the Bay Area of California. I lived in SoCal at the time, and had taken an early flight back home on the Sunday morning after the draft which happened to be Week 1. I had about 20 text messages on my phone when I got off the plane, some mocking me, some feeling sorry for me. Testaverde had blown his Achilles after less than a half of football. :bag:

Good thing that I drafted some guy named Rich Gannon, who was in his first year with the Raiders. He went for 24 passing TDs, 3,800 yards and led me to respectability, especially after losing my #1 (may have been #2 pick... might have grabbed Dorsey Levens with my first pick that season).

not sure which year but I was playing in a total points league and had Jim Kelly and Andre Reed and I think LeRoy Hoard at RB

Deuce McAllister, forgot the year but he got injured for the entire season.

Didn't do fantasy football again until this year and picked up Ryan Matthews in a startup IDP Dynasty league.

Picked Randy Moss at 1.5 in a Yahoo free league in 2002. I think that was my first ever pick.

My first pick in a money league was Frank Gore at 1.3 in 2007. That didn't kill me but picking Thomas Jones, Lee Evans, and Vince Young as my #1 QB sure did.

Shonn Greene at 1.02. It's a 10 team 5 keeper league. Played the first two weeks, now riding the bench. Stashing him away for later.

MARSHALL FAULK....followed by rookie sensation RANDY MOSS...i won the whole thing that year
If you took Moss in the 2nd round when he was a rookie then you were really not thinking straight.No way you take a rookie WR in the 2nd round ever, you got lucky on that one.Moss went in the 9th or 10th round in drafts I played in 1998.

Barry Sanders - 1997.

This was his 2000 yard season, but I was ready to trade him after two games of 33 and 20 rushing yards.

MARSHALL FAULK....followed by rookie sensation RANDY MOSS...i won the whole thing that year
If you took Moss in the 2nd round when he was a rookie then you were really not thinking straight.No way you take a rookie WR in the 2nd round ever, you got lucky on that one.Moss went in the 9th or 10th round in drafts I played in 1998.
I was in Iowa with a bunch of Vikings fans and Moss went in the 1st round. Yes, we laughed at him - until he went off for 2 TD's week 1.

Took Marshall Faulk #1 1998 keeper league, after Trent Green went down watched Vermiel cry and picked up Kurt Warner at 307 AM Tues nite waivers- they took me to title that year in my first year of FFHooked ever since....
I think you might have the year wrong, unless Faulk was a Colt, and you picked up a qb from the Amsterdam Admirals.

1994 Jerome Bettis at 01-08.

4 total TD's that year. Thanks Bus.

Redeemed myself with taking Marshall Faulk at 03-08 (dynasty league initial draft).

barry sanders 1998

tho my most memorable first year pick by far was randy moss he is what made me fall in love w/ fantasy football

Very entertaining thread!

Like mentioned by a few, we would do our stats by hand when we started - 1988 or 89. I posted my 1st pick was Neal Anderson. Some other memories of those early years:

1) the NFL didn't really embrace it

2) Our office treated it like a crime. LOL

3) Our first rules were TD only, and longer TD's got more points. I think it was some sort of "Terry Bradshaw" League rules or something

4) No internet when we first started. I recall the 1st time I saw the internet, my friend pulled up "Fantasy Football in a forum...it was AWESOME!

5) Pro Football Weekly - we'd rush to the store to buy it each week

It's so much easier nowadays! LOL But also, drafts are soooo predictable now, at least the first 35 - 40 players.

Great post....really enjoyed this.

ricky watters, think it was 2000 or 2001 the year he got hurt

picked up shaun alexander off waivers an won the championship

1994, picked Jerry Rice at 1.07, then went Bettis, Natrone Means and Favre. I think Rice scored 42 points in the opening Monday Night game against the Raiders, i figured stuff like that happened all the time. I am fairly certain thats still the most wr points I've had in a game.

Choke said:
I believe it was Gerald Riggs.
Gerald Riggs :wub: Got him in a trade the week after Don Beebe went off for 4 TDs (I had the first waiver priority). I had drafted only 1 RB (was running the draft and was so excited to get Thurman Thomas in round 2 I promptly forgot to draft another RB the entire time :bag). Guy in my league wanted to trade for my first waiver (to get Beebe) but didn't want to give up much. I looked at his team, knew he was griping about Riggs, saw that his stat line was 2 carries for 3 yards and that was all I needed to know that he was the goal-line back for Joe Gibbs - as :goodposting: a role as there was back then. Riggs went on to get like 10 TDs that year :bowtie: -QG
I remember having Riggs that year. I had to look up the stats on him but he amassed a whopping 248 yards on the season, but had 11 TDs. Most leagues were TD only then so that was huge.

Users who are viewing this thread