What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zonovan Knight, RB NYJ (1 Viewer)

Bam looked very good but before people get too excited, Michael Carter isnt done for the season. I’m not even sure he misses this week.
Ty Johnson has been getting run as the 3rd down back as well. Knight is not Hall - he’ll need some level of volume to be a “league winner” and I’m not sure he sees that level of volume.

Bam looked very good but before people get too excited, Michael Carter isnt done for the season. I’m not even sure he misses this week.
Ty Johnson has been getting run as the 3rd down back as well. Knight is not Hall - he’ll need some level of volume to be a “league winner” and I’m not sure he sees that level of volume.
Agreed - I had similar comments up thread or in the waiver thread. It's generally not Saleh/LaFleur's style to use a bell cow in the running game, but rather a committee situationally. Breece is/was clearly a different breed.

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt believes RB Zonovan Knight has earned a role in the Jets backfield regardless of Michael Carter's ankle injury.​

Knight totaled 103 yards on 17 touches in his Week 12 debut against the Bears, and drew praise from Jets coaches, including head coach Robert Saleh. “He was juicy as a runner, getting north and south,” Saleh said, adding Knight was active over James Robinson because his running style better fit what the Jets wanted in the rush offense. “He’s a one-cut runner, which is kind of the staple of our scheme, and he played fast, he played physical.” Only five running backs had a higher yards before contact per carry than Knight (nicknamed Bam) in Week 12. Knight, who rushed for 2,287 yards and 18 touchdowns in three seasons as North Carolina State, should be claimed off waivers this week. He's unlikely to see an every-down role without a series of backfield injuries for the Jets.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 30, 2022, 8:39 AM ET
This quote doesn't bode well for Robinson.

The Athletic's Zack Rosenblatt believes RB Zonovan Knight has earned a role in the Jets backfield regardless of Michael Carter's ankle injury.​

Knight totaled 103 yards on 17 touches in his Week 12 debut against the Bears, and drew praise from Jets coaches, including head coach Robert Saleh. “He was juicy as a runner, getting north and south,” Saleh said, adding Knight was active over James Robinson because his running style better fit what the Jets wanted in the rush offense. “He’s a one-cut runner, which is kind of the staple of our scheme, and he played fast, he played physical.” Only five running backs had a higher yards before contact per carry than Knight (nicknamed Bam) in Week 12. Knight, who rushed for 2,287 yards and 18 touchdowns in three seasons as North Carolina State, should be claimed off waivers this week. He's unlikely to see an every-down role without a series of backfield injuries for the Jets.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 30, 2022, 8:39 AM ET
This quote doesn't bode well for Robinson.
Danger, James Robinson.

He simply looked better than Carter

It’s a 3 or 4 back committee, but Bam has the freshest legs and staff seems to like him and the schedule looks promising

I'm not worried about Carter or Ty Johnson and my definition of "league winner" has always been more liberal than most. All I'm looking for is a 1A type that can get me double digit points and maybe fall into the EZ. I think a lot of people consider "league winner" to be ~25 FPs per game or else. I expect 15 carries and maybe another 3-4 targets this week and moving forward. If the measuring stick is "he needs to be like Hall" then nobody would ever match up.

The WW has been remarkably thin this year and then here comes a guy at the perfect time about to become very relevant. In my book that is a league winner, doesn't matter if they are the lead in a committee or a bellcow.

I expect 15 carries and maybe another 3-4 targets this week and moving forward.
Obviously we can't know for sure, but I expect Michael Carter to continue leading the backfield. He's a very good all around back and has been very productive in this offense. There's also James Robinson still in the weeds as well. I like Knight and have him in a few leagues but I just not seeing him taking over the way you do. Like I said, I may be wrong but based on what I know about the staff and the players some in here are getting overly excited (and I get the whole barren waiver wire argument - I'm not saying leave him on the wire).

I'm not worried about Carter or Ty Johnson and my definition of "league winner" has always been more liberal than most. All I'm looking for is a 1A type that can get me double digit points and maybe fall into the EZ. I think a lot of people consider "league winner" to be ~25 FPs per game or else. I expect 15 carries and maybe another 3-4 targets this week and moving forward. If the measuring stick is "he needs to be like Hall" then nobody would ever match up.

The WW has been remarkably thin this year and then here comes a guy at the perfect time about to become very relevant. In my book that is a league winner, doesn't matter if they are the lead in a committee or a bellcow.
It's a fair point. It's wishful thinking that he is going to be a bellcow. What's working for Bam is that Saleh knows what he has in Ty Johnson and has seen Robinson and Carter not be as productive as he'd like. Bam is the new kid on the block and has shown out early by getting downhill quickly. Granted, he could fall back to earth himself, but he's got an opportunity here.

It's a fair point. It's wishful thinking that he is going to be a bellcow. What's working for Bam is that Saleh knows what he has in Ty Johnson and has seen Robinson and Carter not be as productive as he'd like. Bam is the new kid on the block and has shown out early by getting downhill quickly. Granted, he could fall back to earth himself, but he's got an opportunity here.
There has certainly been a lot of press about how much Saleh likes Bam. I thought he looked pretty dang good last week, and the quote about Bam going N/S in a way that fit their offense (and suggesting the other RBs were lacking there) makes me think he has a very big opportunity in front of him. The other sort of wildcard in this is that Saleh obviously doesn't have any qualms about shaking things up (e.g. Mike White) and this seems to fit that arc.

I also expect Carter and the other backs to be involved. The fact that this team has playoff aspirations and finally is getting competent QB play (and then some?) is a really good sign for *whoever* is leading the backfield. I'd consider a strong committee back (I still think he will be the 1A) to be a league-winning WW pickup for me if I can get 10-12 points per game. If my alternative at RB2 *was* someone like Hunt or Akers who I have almost zero confidence in and now I get a guy who is hungry and getting fed, that's all I need.

BTW there is definitely a world where 10-12 points is a floor and the ceiling is in the 20s. Just need that variance to click in with a PI in the endzone and then Bam!

**reaches for more coffee**

I expect 15 carries and maybe another 3-4 targets this week and moving forward.
Obviously we can't know for sure, but I expect Michael Carter to continue leading the backfield. He's a very good all around back and has been very productive in this offense. There's also James Robinson still in the weeds as well. I like Knight and have him in a few leagues but I just not seeing him taking over the way you do. Like I said, I may be wrong but based on what I know about the staff and the players some in here are getting overly excited (and I get the whole barren waiver wire argument - I'm not saying leave him on the wire).
I see Bam as 1A to Carter 1B. Ty is JAG but can fill that 3rd down role (when needed). James Robinson was a surprise inactive to me. A big one. So even though I'd expect him to play if Carter sits, I think all the writing on the wall screams Bam 1A. He is a skosh bigger than Carter (who I am a fan of and have several shares) if that matters to Saleh at all (no idea).

I'm going to wait the week out to see how reports go and if the drum beat increases, but I'm likely starting him over some WR3/4 types in flex. And certainly in RB spots where I'm thin.

One other note, my best teams this year are zeroRB builds. The #1 points leader in the FFPC Main Event and the FootballguysPlayersChampionships are zeroRB builds. So in *that* context, this is even more within the profile of a league winning RB pickup. *If* it plays out that way. But I'd said it's fair to counter that if you went robustRB then maybe you wouldn't care as much about Bam this week and forward. Shrugs.

One other note, my best teams this year are zeroRB builds. The #1 points leader in the FFPC Main Event and the FootballguysPlayersChampionships are zeroRB builds. So in *that* context, this is even more within the profile of a league winning RB pickup. *If* it plays out that way. But I'd said it's fair to counter that if you went robustRB then maybe you wouldn't care as much about Bam this week and forward. Shrugs.
I like bams opportunity a lot. I honestly think Robinson is washed and Carter doesn't pass the eye test this year. Going into the draft every year I tell myself I'm going to load up on non RB skill positions since I'm usually pretty good at finding rbs through the wire. Unfortunately I always leave the fourth round with 3 rbs haha.

Tempering expectations as my eye test is a bit underwhelmed...

He has a nice inside slip move cut. Burst is decent not great. Contact balance same. I don't see any notable lateral agility. Does a decent job of reading/reacting to zone blocks and lanes, but not seeing the power I'd expect from a Bam. If fed, he could definitely make some fantasy noise down the stretch, but this isn't some untapped special talent IMO. Won't be surprised to see this turn into a three-headed chimera RBBBC if Robinson and Carter are active.

Guys I'm currently strongly leaning towards benching in favor of Bam, assuming Carter sits, though this is always subject to change:

Gibson, Zeke, Singletary, Rachaad (if and only if LF plays)
Burks*, McLaurin*, Juju, Pittman*, Slayton, Gabe

*these guys have particularly bad matchups this week. I find it hard to believe I would bench any of them but I think NYJ-MIN could really be a shootout this week. So could KC-CIN but I don't trust Juju much.

Bam could be this year's D'Earnest Johnson...Third stringer who makes some waves for a limited time, although it seems the impact will skew in favor of PPR leagues. I missed him in my league's ww unfortunately. With a capable QB there's at least a good floor.

He had 15 carries for 90 yards and 5 targets with 5 catches for 28 yards. He had 3 catches for 34 last week. Ty Johnson had 7 targets today with 6 catches. James Robinson only had 4 carries and Ty only had 1. As has been said many, many times, Mike White throws to his RBs a lot.

Last edited:
He also had several goal line looks, and receptions within the red zone. I realize Carter will muddy the waters when he gets back, but I'm not going to lie it feels good to be right (for a week).

Guys I'm currently strongly leaning towards benching in favor of Bam, assuming Carter sits, though this is always subject to change:

Gibson, Zeke, Singletary, Rachaad (if and only if LF plays)
Burks*, McLaurin*, Juju, Pittman*, Slayton, Gabe

*these guys have particularly bad matchups this week. I find it hard to believe I would bench any of them but I think NYJ-MIN could really be a shootout this week. So could KC-CIN but I don't trust Juju much.
McLaurin outscored him. End of list.

Ok Zeke, Pittman and Rachaad each have a chance still, though Pittman and Zeke not looking great. But solid outing for Bam (in honor of the late John Madden). I did actually start Bam over all of these names this week.

So he blew Pittman out of the water and Zeke outscored him by 1.3. I also started him over Matt Ryan in one of my SF spots and he outscored Ryan by about 5 points. Bam came really close to a 29 point game today.

Bam came really close to a 29 point game today

This must be full PPR -- well, not even -- because he scored 14.30 and less than Slayton in my league that is half PPR for RBs. That is unless you're gifting him two touchdowns.

Regardless, I'm just mad because I have Robinson and had cut Bam earlier in the year as a far-fetched practice squad guy behind Hall and Carter and then Robinson. I didn't have the FAAB necessary to acquire him.

He looked good running the football. Sledding gets tougher in Buffalo, though.

Last edited:

He had 15 carries for 90 yards and 5 targets with 5 catches for 28 yards. He had 3 catches for 34 last week. Ty Johnson had 7 targets today with 6 catches. James Robinson only had 4 carries and Ty only had 1. As has been said many, many times, Mike White throws to his RBs a lot.
Yeah, and Carter was out this week. I think everyone was on board with him being productive. I only disagreed with “league winner” but your definition of same was a far lower standard than most that would use it.

So he blew Pittman out of the water and Zeke outscored him by 1.3. I also started him over Matt Ryan in one of my SF spots and he outscored Ryan by about 5 points. Bam came really close to a 29 point game today.
He had 16 points in full ppr. How is that close to 29 points?

Kid ran hard and looked good...not sure how his fantasy future looks with Hall coming back but he looks like he may be playable the rest of this year if expectations are realistic.

Bam came really close to a 29 point game today

This must be full PPR -- well, not even -- because he scored 14.30 and less than Slayton in my league that is half PPR for RBs. That is unless you're gifting him two touchdowns.

Regardless, I'm just mad because I have Robinson and had cut Bam earlier in the year as a far-fetched practice squad guy behind Hall and Carter and then Robinson. I didn't have the FAAB necessary to acquire him.

He looked good running the football. Sledding gets tougher in Buffalo, though.
Yeah, he came really close to 2 TDs. That was what I was saying. And yes PPR.

Because he had a lot of high value GL and RZ looks and nearly had two TDs. Sorry I thought I said that above, maybe not.

Yes, he did. That's what I thought you might be getting at. He some had high-leverage, high-expectancy-of-points-scored looks inside the ten, and even inside the five.

I thought the Jets really messed up not calling on Robinson for those looks. I'm hoping they'll iron out their red zone troubles from the other day (cost them the game), but Bam may well continue to receive those looks. But if he doesn't produce with them...

The point is that he came *very* close to a ceiling game that everyone would agree is in the league winner category (for week 13 anyway). In my FootballguysPlayersChampionships and MainEvent, the semifinals are/were week 13, so getting past this week is actually literally a league winning proposition. Or at least in terms of advancing to the finals.

But as I have said before, when Carter comes back I expect him to take over for Ty Johnson, but with more volume. It will be more of a committee than it was this week, but honestly not sure what more anybody would want from a WW RB pickup at this juncture.

Because he had a lot of high value GL and RZ looks and nearly had two TDs. Sorry I thought I said that above, maybe not.

Ok - I'm not sure that's really how it works. I mean sure he "could have" scored 2 TDs, but in reality he did not.

The Jets also don't really use a GL back - when it was Carter and Hall splitting carries, they generally just left whichever back was in on that series in the game inside the 5 yard line.

I'm not trying to rip Knight apart or steer people away but as a fan of the team, I'm trying to shed some light on how the coaching staff works. There is very little chance Carter's return doesn't eat into Knight's volume and as I said (and the game showed) they now seem to like Ty Johnson in the 3rd down role as well.

Knight should be a solid RB2/Flex going forward this season - and sure there could be one or two 2 TD games on the horizon but I don't see him being a fantasy difference maker with Carter in the mix (Carter is the better overall RB, imo).

Yes, he did. That's what I thought you might be getting at. He some had high-leverage, high-expectancy-of-points-scored looks inside the ten, and even inside the five.

I thought the Jets really messed up not calling on Robinson for those looks. I'm hoping they'll iron out their red zone troubles from the other day (cost them the game), but Bam may well continue to receive those looks. But if he doesn't produce with them...
Yeah I mean it's fair to ask well how come he wasn't able to punch it in, then? I'd say because football is hard. I personally don't understand not having James Robinson as the #1 after Hall went down, he sure doesn't *appear* to show any ill effects from his achilles injury, but he is a very powerful RB. That said, I think Bam got what he could and more. A couple of those plays were screens from around the 20 and were positive plays but a shoestring away from a TD. I think if you give him a couple more chances he scores.

But coaches might think differently. Next week, presuming Carter is back, is definitely a bigger mystery. In some spots it might be academic for me. I'd likely not be starting him over guys like Pittman, Rachaad, Terry, etc., as named above.

Ok - I'm not sure that's really how it works. I mean sure he "could have" scored 2 TDs, but in reality he did not.
Dude. I literally used the ****ing word 'almost'. FFS.

The Jets also don't really use a GL back - when it was Carter and Hall splitting carries, they generally just left whichever back was in on that series in the game inside the 5 yard line.

I'm not trying to rip Knight apart or steer people away but as a fan of the team, I'm trying to shed some light on how the coaching staff works. There is very little chance Carter's return doesn't eat into Knight's volume and as I said (and the game showed) they now seem to like Ty Johnson in the 3rd down role as well.

Knight should be a solid RB2/Flex going forward this season - and sure there could be one or two 2 TD games on the horizon but I don't see him being a fantasy difference maker with Carter in the mix (Carter is the better overall RB, imo).
And I have no issue with most of this. I'm not even arguing with you, just making my case for Bam this last week and moving forward.

4 RZ touches, 2 inside the 5 on the painful to watch failure

more prescriptive is he was the first option on 7 different drives - they basically built the entire run game around him

first two games, over 100 YFS

obviously he's got competition and at some point Carter returns, but these are the kind of fresh legs pickups that round out a playoff roster

ETA - to be clear, painful to watch the Jets not score there, needed Minnesota to lose that game for the Lions fleeting hopes

Dude. I literally used the ****ing word 'almost'. FFS.
ok, I see you're wound a bit tightly. I'll move on.

I keep wondering what this team, and running game, would look like if they hadn't lost their two best offensive linemen before the season.

I keep wondering what this team, and running game, would look like if they hadn't lost their two best offensive linemen before the season

They did lose Becton (and Fant until recently), but their best is Alijah Vera-Tucker, who they lost during the year. Your point is taken. Imagine if they hadn't lost those guys and Breece Hall.

Last edited:

Jets head coach Robert Saleh said Zonovan Knight is "not going anywhere" when Michael Carter (ankle) returns to the lineup.​

It's as good an indication as any that Knight, a rookie who emerged from obscurity to post back-to-back 100-yard outings, will maintain lead back duties when Carter is healthy enough to return. Knight over the past two weeks has operated as the Jets' main early-down back and has split pass-catching duties with Ty Johnson. Against the Vikings in Week 13, Knight caught all five of his targets for 28 yards. Knight, who has PFF's highest elusiveness rating over the past two weeks, should be the rare low-end RB2 that is not entirely dependent on touchdowns this week against the Bills.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Zack Blatt on Twitter
Dec 7, 2022, 11:50 AM ET

Mike LaFleur on Bam Knight today:

“He deserved the opportunity … he’s brought such a presence and a style that we needed.”

For my sake, I hope you're right.

ran 26 routes Week 13

Ty Johnson ran 25
And both had about same amount of receptions, think the question now is what the distribution will look like this week w/ Carter back in the mix.

2 weeks ago JRob was a healthy scratch; Carter hurt his ankle on the first drive of the second half

First half RB opportunities:
* Michael Carter 8
* Zonovan Knight 5
* Ty Johnson 1

Targets were Carter-2 Knight-1 Johnson-1

Users who are viewing this thread