What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***FRIAR WIRE*** (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
Peavy throwing a gem and the Padre bats giving Barry Zito a rude SF welcome.

There's still room on the San Diego bandwagon - get on while you still can.

2007 World Champs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Padres play long ball tonight - HRs from 3 infielders (MGiles, Khalil, and Gonzalez) account for all 5 runs. The best bullpen in baseball throws 3 scoreless and San Diego moves to 2-0.

Nice start for baseball's most underrated team.

What's up with Kouzmanoff? Slow start or just not as good as advertised?
:popcorn:As a homer, I'm going with "slow start" but I don't have anything to base that on besides his incredible minor league numbers, and his strong spring.The Pads invested heavily in him (Josh Barfield), so he's going to get his chance to swim or drown.

gunz, what's the word (if any) on gonzalez? he's had a decent start to the year - any talk of moving him down in the order for any reason?

gunz, what's the word (if any) on gonzalez? he's had a decent start to the year - any talk of moving him down in the order for any reason?
He's going to bat either 3rd or 4th all season, depending on matchups (generally 3rd v. right handers and 4th against lefties). He's by far the best hitter on the club, but he's so ####### slow that many think he's best left in the cleanup spot so that he hits into fewer double plays. Problem is, the Padres don't really have anyone else on the team who can hit 3rd, and with Brian Giles batting 2nd, Bud Black doesn't like having two lefties in a row for strategic reasons.I was hoping that Kouzmanoff would show an ability to hit for a hit average (and high OBP) so that he could become the #3 hitter, but he's struggled mightily.

:shrug:As a homer, I'm going with "slow start" but I don't have anything to base that on besides his incredible minor league numbers, and his strong spring.The Pads invested heavily in him (Josh Barfield), so he's going to get his chance to swim or drown.
Can I cut this POS yet or what?

:lmao:As a homer, I'm going with "slow start" but I don't have anything to base that on besides his incredible minor league numbers, and his strong spring.The Pads invested heavily in him (Josh Barfield), so he's going to get his chance to swim or drown.
probably. he's awful again tonight, with a K and a weak, weak fly to shallow right. the Padres gave Barfield away for him, so he's going to get his ABs, but at this point he's a huge liability.i own him too, but we have unlimited rosters (salary cap) so I'm holding him.

Barfield is sucking it up for the Tribe also (.123 BA after last night).

Big fan of Brian Giles back in the 3 spot. The first four padre hitters are all over .310 on the season so far!

Barfield is sucking it up for the Tribe also (.123 BA after last night).Big fan of Brian Giles back in the 3 spot. The first four padre hitters are all over .310 on the season so far!
I stocked up on Padre hitters during my drafts, as I felt many were undervalued. Kouz looks like a miss, but Marcus and Brian look to have nice bounce back seasons, and Khalil Greene is off to a fantastic start in his age 27 season. Bard looked great this spring and early this season until he got hurt. He's back this weekend.Jose Cruz has quieted the Sledge breakout thus far, but I see Tremmel getting a bunch of ABs and emerging as the better LF bat by mid season. Cameron has been AWFUL thus far, both at the plate and in the field.

special shout out to my boys in the A-T-L for helping the cause against baby blue this weekend.

Padres 1 game back despite having 2 starters below the mendoza line (Cameron at .194 and Kouzmanoff at .112).

Marcus Giles is a huge upgrade over Barfield at 2B, both defensively and offensively.

Kouz has been exactly the opposite of his scouting report - very good D, absolutely no O.

Cameron looks like he's actually playing with a golden glove.

Heath Bell and Clay Meredith mean Scotty Linebrink = :lmao: at the deadline this year, especially with good relievers value at an all time high.

Jake Peavy, he good.

Is there anything more painfull on the eyes than a Padres retro uniform day?
You didn't like the Big Bird unis? I love'm.Germano with another great line - me thinks Clay Hensley better have his act together when he returns - his leash will be short.

Padres looking like the team to beat in the NL West after ~ 25% of the season. Despite the early season woes of Kouzmanoff, Cameron, and BGiles, the Friars are .5 games behind the Dodgers with Kouz and Cameron finally above .200

Biggest surprises:

- Germano's 3 outstanding starts (WHIP below 1, ERA below 0.5)

- Kouzmanoff's early season struggles with the bat

- Cameron's early season struggles with the bat and glove

San Diego isn't going to remind anyone of the '27 Yankees, but with one of the best rotations in baseball, an ace like Peavy, and the best bullpen in baseball, their "grind it out" philosophy on offense makes for an interesting combination. MGiles, BGiles, AGonzalez, JBard, and Kouzmanoff all take a lot of pitches and really work counts, running up pitch counts and getting into opposing teams bullpens early.

Defensively, there aren't many teams (if any) better when Cruz Jr. is in LF. On those nights, the Pads have gold glove caliber D at 5 positions (LF, CF, 1B, 2B, and SS).

The Mets are the best team in the NL. The Padres are a close 2nd.

I guess I can help with this since Tommy doesnt seem to be on it.

Padres won again last night, 8-6, after jumping out to a 7-0 lead and letting the Brewers get back into it late. man, those guys can mash. Brings back memories of Harvey's Wallbangers back in the early '80s. Maddux is nothing more than a 6+ inning pitcher now on a decent night. He still has good location but his stuff is not what it once was and he definitely doesnt have the stamina to go 8 very often. he still is probably one of the best number 3 starters out there.

The offense is starting to hit more with this awakening of the Kouz. Grand slam tonight and his average it up to .217. The kis looks like he is starting to get some of that confidence back. Couple that with Cameron starting to hit everything with authority and the team migth be able to put up more than 2 runs a night. And its a good thing that the hitters are starting to hit because Brian Giles is probably going on the DL, so that means the hole that is Terrmel Sledge is going to be batting eighth more often. I wish Bud Black would play Branyan a little in the OF. His power would be sweet in that lineup.

Damn Dodgers blew a 5-0 lead and looked like they were going to fall to the Cubs to allow the Padres to catch them last night but they came back late to win another one.

Next up today, Claudio Vargas vs. Justin Germano. Can Germano keep up his magic?

I don't know much about the Padres, but Jake Peavy has some nasty s###! I saw him pitch against the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago. He looks like he could pitch a no hitter every time out.

Adrian Gonzalez with another bomb.

Hey Rangers, how you enjoying Aki Otsuka and Adam Eaton?

We're loving life with Chris Young and A-Gon....even if I have to endure the hole that is Terrmel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Padres in Pitt today to take on the Pirates. Wells faces off against Gorzelanny. Wells ahsnt been good this year, but he has looked much better recently. Hoping it just took him a little longer to get started than others.

Heard a great interview with Kouz this morning. Really starting to like that kid, especially since he's starting to hit.

Looking forward to seeing the 1st Place Padres move into sole possession tonight.

:rolleyes: As a homer, I'm going with "slow start" but I don't have anything to base that on besides his incredible minor league numbers, and his strong spring.

The Pads invested heavily in him (Josh Barfield), so he's going to get his chance to swim or drown.
probably.
Great advice here!

Users who are viewing this thread