What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donovan McNabb a sure thing HOF? (1 Viewer)

footballfever

Footballguy
I was thinking about that today. Really good stats but nothing stands out to me. Most importantly, he could never win the big one. I mean Dan Marino never won the Super Bowl but he was Dan Marino, probably one of the greatest skilled QBs ever.

IMO if he had put up pedestrian stats for 3 or more years after he left Philly he'd be in. For example, added another 10,000 passing yards instead of the 4500 he scraped together. But he didn't. So he won't.

A sure thing? Definitely not.

I suppose it's a possibility, but not even close to a sure thing.

He's was a decent QB, but he's not in the same league with future Hall of Fame QB's like Brady & Manning. They are a sure thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
McNabb really ruined his legacy the past few years. I think if you asked this question after the 2009 season -- when he had made a Pro Bowl -- the reaction would be 50/50.

I remember Brad Oremland made this post (which I commented on) about how McNabb should be a HOFer: http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2009/08/10/why_donovan_mcnabb_is_vastly_underrated.php

But now, he's a punchline. I don't think he'll be remembered nearly as fondly as he should be.

I've never been a huge fan of McNabb, you can't deny the fact that he was top 3 in both passing yards and TDs in the 2000's.

I've never been a huge fan of McNabb, you can't deny the fact that he was top 3 in both passing yards and TDs in the 2000's.
It would be a shame to forget what he accomplished in his career based on the last 2 years. He was a very good QB for many years, but not HOF worthy imo.

His career W-L is 98-62-1 = 61%. In the same league as first balloters like Warner (58%) and Kelly (62%). Of course it's also in the same league as Simms (60%) who is not in the HOF and benefited from playing with a great D. If Simms ever gets in, you could make a better case for McNabb.

This has been debated several times over the years and most people said he won't get in. I can see that perspective and have argued that way as well. However, I think he will get some consideration for perhaps all the wrong reasons.

In looking back over the decades and eras of football, QBs have been the most inducted position from each generation of football. I doubt that the voting patterns will change and QBs from the 90s and 00s will be equally represented.

My point in all this is the following . . . which QBs will be considered from induction from the era that McNabb played? If we consider Brees and Rodgers in the generation after McNabb, who else are options from the 00s?

Clearly Favre, Brady, Manning are in and Warner will get in. After that there are not a ton of candidates. Rivers? Romo? Anyone else? Compared to other era, there appears to be a shortage of clear cut HOF candidates. This leads me to believe that McNabb may get more consideration than we currently

'thriftyrocker said:
His career W-L is 98-62-1 = 61%. In the same league as first balloters like Warner (58%) and Kelly (62%). Of course it's also in the same league as Simms (60%) who is not in the HOF and benefited from playing with a great D. If Simms ever gets in, you could make a better case for McNabb.
If anything Simms was hurt by his team regarding any chance at the ball. It was a defense first, control the clock team. Mcnabb was in a totally pass oriented team in the other hand.

This has been debated several times over the years and most people said he won't get in. I can see that perspective and have argued that way as well. However, I think he will get some consideration for perhaps all the wrong reasons.

In looking back over the decades and eras of football, QBs have been the most inducted position from each generation of football. I doubt that the voting patterns will change and QBs from the 90s and 00s will be equally represented.

My point in all this is the following . . . which QBs will be considered from induction from the era that McNabb played? If we consider Brees and Rodgers in the generation after McNabb, who else are options from the 00s?

Clearly Favre, Brady, Manning are in and Warner will get in. After that there are not a ton of candidates. Rivers? Romo? Anyone else? Compared to other era, there appears to be a shortage of clear cut HOF candidates. This leads me to believe that McNabb may get more consideration than we currently
Sorry to hijack with nitpicking but it just struck me as funny that you are considering Brees in the generation after McNabb and Rivers and Romo in the same generation with McNabb. :lmao:

Sorry to hijack with nitpicking but it just struck me as funny that you are considering Brees in the generation after McNabb and Rivers and Romo in the same generation with McNabb. :lmao:
Call them the same generation, I don't really care. I don't really have the data at my fingertips right now, but IIRC, I believe that there were usually 10+ QBs that played in each particular decade (obviously some careers overlapped). The point being, voters have elected a ton of QBs, and for the generation of the 00s, there don't appear to be 10-12 guys that appear to be legit HOF candidates and they have inducted that many from every decade so far.

'Kwai Chang Caine said:
Hall of the Somewhat Above Average guys go to 5 conference championships?You got some tough standards my man.
Sorry, just never been a fan. Even at his best, he was still an inaccurate passer who could never win the big game and never really made the players around him better. The Eagles offensive system did a good job of disguising his weaknesses.

Call them the same generation, I don't really care. I don't really have the data at my fingertips right now, but IIRC, I believe that there were usually 10+ QBs that played in each particular decade (obviously some careers overlapped). The point being, voters have elected a ton of QBs, and for the generation of the 00s, there don't appear to be 10-12 guys that appear to be legit HOF candidates and they have inducted that many from every decade so far.
I wasn't arguing your point. Just thought it funny that you didn't seem to realize that Brees has been in the league 3 years longer than Rivers and Romo. Carry on.

:lmao:

No.

Hell No.

#### No.

Forget the stats. They're irrelevant. Guy wasn't good. Guy was never good, I saw him in college and he was even more frustrating then than he was as a pro. He's not the kind of guy that deserves the honor. He never did the homework. Never did the prep. Didn't bother. When I saw him in college, he'd have us playing well against the good teams, then the next week he'd fail to even show up against the lousy teams and he'd blow our record. Guy had Marvin Harrison on one side and Kevin Johnson on the other and couldn't make the offense work enough to reach more than one decent bowl game in four years.

He never had the game in his head, especially when he made pro. The lack of prep always showed. Always looked a bit confused and one step behind when trying to run the two-minute drill. Couldn't read a defense right. Was never fully aware of the situation.

That's not the kind of guy you want future players looking up to. Not the guy that deserves to even be in the conversation with the guys already in Canton.

I thought he would have compiled a bit more in the past couple of years; enough to get him some serious consideration.....but he fell off a cliff.

:lmao:

No.

Hell No.

#### No.

Forget the stats. They're irrelevant. Guy wasn't good. Guy was never good, I saw him in college and he was even more frustrating then than he was as a pro. He's not the kind of guy that deserves the honor. He never did the homework. Never did the prep. Didn't bother. When I saw him in college, he'd have us playing well against the good teams, then the next week he'd fail to even show up against the lousy teams and he'd blow our record. Guy had Marvin Harrison on one side and Kevin Johnson on the other and couldn't make the offense work enough to reach more than one decent bowl game in four years.

He never had the game in his head, especially when he made pro. The lack of prep always showed. Always looked a bit confused and one step behind when trying to run the two-minute drill. Couldn't read a defense right. Was never fully aware of the situation.

That's not the kind of guy you want future players looking up to. Not the guy that deserves to even be in the conversation with the guys already in Canton.
pretty amazing what the guy achieved considering such egregious shortcomings.

Had he put up even average stats the last couple of years I think he'd be in. But talk about going out with a whimper! McNabb didn't have the hall locked like Favre did when he left GB.

As it stands....NO. The decade of the 2000's will just enter fewer QBs into the hall than other decades did.

Hall of the Somewhat Above Average guys go to 5 conference championships?You got some tough standards my man.
Sorry, just never been a fan. Even at his best, he was still an inaccurate passer who could never win the big game and never really made the players around him better. The Eagles offensive system did a good job of disguising his weaknesses.
While he didn't elevate guys to "otherwordly" status like Brady did for Welker, Todd Pinkston begs to differ with your opinion. That guy would have been lucky to be remembered in the same breath as Sly Morris and Snoop Minnis if not for McNabb.

OK, I guess I will have to play Devil's Advocate on this one. I don't have an answer for this right now, but how many QBs led teams to 5 conference title games that are not in the HOF?

Damn people are being harsh. He's good enough that he'll make the list of HOF finalists for many years. One SB or a couple more years of good stats away from getting in though.

McNabb really ruined his legacy the past few years. I think if you asked this question after the 2009 season -- when he had made a Pro Bowl -- the reaction would be 50/50.

I remember Brad Oremland made this post (which I commented on) about how McNabb should be a HOFer: http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2009/08/10/why_donovan_mcnabb_is_vastly_underrated.php

But now, he's a punchline. I don't think he'll be remembered nearly as fondly as he should be.
Seems to me that Namath should have met the same fate.

McNabb has never thrown for 4,000 yards in a season and he only threw for over 30 td's in a season once, and had 25 or more TD's in a season twice. Interestingly, there's a HOF qb with very similar numbers -- only had more than 30 td's in a season once, never had 4,000 yards, and had 25 or more td's in a season twice. This QB and McNabb have very similar career numbers -- McNabb has more yards, a couple less TD's and a lot less INT's. McNabb has far more rushing yards and rushing TD's.

Anyone know who this other QB is? He played in the last 25 years.

McNabb has never thrown for 4,000 yards in a season and he only threw for over 30 td's in a season once, and had 25 or more TD's in a season twice. Interestingly, there's a HOF qb with very similar numbers -- only had more than 30 td's in a season once, never had 4,000 yards, and had 25 or more td's in a season twice. This QB and McNabb have very similar career numbers -- McNabb has more yards, a couple less TD's and a lot less INT's. McNabb has far more rushing yards and rushing TD's.Anyone know who this other QB is? He played in the last 25 years.
Aikman doesn't exactly have a great stat argument going for him.

McNabb has never thrown for 4,000 yards in a season and he only threw for over 30 td's in a season once, and had 25 or more TD's in a season twice. Interestingly, there's a HOF qb with very similar numbers -- only had more than 30 td's in a season once, never had 4,000 yards, and had 25 or more td's in a season twice. This QB and McNabb have very similar career numbers -- McNabb has more yards, a couple less TD's and a lot less INT's. McNabb has far more rushing yards and rushing TD's.Anyone know who this other QB is? He played in the last 25 years.
Aikman doesn't exactly have a great stat argument going for him.
Not Aikman.

Jim Kelly? McNabb went to five conference championship games, Kelly only four. I guess going 4-0 vs. 1-4 makes a big difference in HOF consideration.

Jim Kelly? McNabb went to five conference championship games, Kelly only four. I guess going 4-0 vs. 1-4 makes a big difference in HOF consideration.
Yup -- Kelly. Interesting to compare the numbers.

Yup -- Kelly. Interesting to compare the numbers.
I am always leary to compare players from different eras, even if they are only 10 years or so apart. The game changed immensely from the 90s to the 00s. Put another way, Kerry Collins career numbers are better than all but a few QBs that played pre-1980. Does anyone think Collins is a HOFer?IMO, the best way people should evaluate players is in to compare them to their immediate peers. For example, Corey Dillon looks great compared to guys from the 70s and 80s. Put compare him to guys he played with and suddenly he doesn't look so great.Getting back to McNabb, given that we are at an all time high in terms of passing numbers, wouldn't it make logical sense to induct MORE players from this generation? By comparison, the numbers in the 70s passing wise were pretty low . . . and there are probably fewer HOF QBs from that time frame. (The early to mid 70s passing was not all that prevelant, mostly due to the rules that defenders could beat up the receivers.)I think some people are being overly critical about McNabb's career as a whole. Yes, he never won a title . . . but he played on some successful teams, consistently advanced in the playoffs, had an excellent winning percentage, and had a strong TD to INT ratio. I get that he did not have 4000 yard passing seasons, but that was mostly due to him getting dinged and not playing all 16 games.I don't think McNabb is a great HOF candidate, but I think he is worthy of more consideration than "No. /thread."

McNabb has never thrown for 4,000 yards in a season and he only threw for over 30 td's in a season once, and had 25 or more TD's in a season twice.
True, but that's primarily due to the fact that he didn't play 16 games in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2010 (he was on pace for 4000 yards all 5 seasons). And he was on pace for 25 TDs 4 other times.

Users who are viewing this thread