What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AJ injured...again (1 Viewer)

Debeucci

Footballguy
Groin tweaked.

I don't know what it is with this guy, but every year I draft him, he gets injured. Maybe I just have bad luck with AJ. Groin injuries can linger, and he's been shown to not be a quick healer.

I am officially labeling him injury prone and have him on my DND list unless he falls to the 4th and later.

Everything I seeing in Houston is that the injury is very minor and he would probably have continued to play if this was a real game.

Groin tweaked. I don't know what it is with this guy, but every year I draft him, he gets injured. Maybe I just have bad luck with AJ. Groin injuries can linger, and he's been shown to not be a quick healer.I am officially labeling him injury prone and have him on my DND list unless he falls to the 4th and later.
had Johnson on his team last year

Texans Coach Gary Kubiak said today that wide receiver Andre Johnson suffered a slight injury to his groin and was pulled out of practice as a precaution.

Johnson’s status will be day to day.

He was injured early on in practice, and the trainers worked out his right leg briefly. He watched the rest of practice standing on the sideline with a towel on his head.

Later, Johnson was taken into Reliant Stadium on a golf cart, saying “I don’t know. I am going to get it checked out.”

Johnson’s teammates said he told them the injury wasn’t serious, but Kevin Walter, the team’s other starting receiver, said it was still scary to see Johnson down on the field getting worked on by a trainer.

Johnson missed OTAs and minicamp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

Lester Jean has been working opposite Walter with the starters.
Poor reporting - his name is Lestar.

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ is awesome when healthy, but the guy is always getting dinged up, which is why he is becoming a risky pick when you take his ADP into account. You basically draft him knowing that you will probably be without him for a few games here or a few games there, and that is not even counting a game or two he might kill you by leaving dinged up in the first quarter. And amazingly, the guy only has 52 touchdowns in 9 NFL seasons. He has never had double digits TDs in a season. Yes, he is a beast when he is healthy, especially in PPR leagues, but I am content to let someone else burn a top draft pick him nowadays.

'FavreCo said:
'BigTex said:
Vets do this all the time at the beginning of camp.
The ones that are lazy. AJ wouldn't. The injury is real for him.
No, its smart coaches who want to protect their star athlete. Participating in the beginning of camp does not benefit the vets they do it all the time and either its under the coaches orders are they know what's going on.ETA, they either say they tweak a hammy, pulled a groin or even fake a holdout only to join the team a week or two before the regular season.

'FavreCo said:
'BigTex said:
No, its smart coaches who want to protect their star athlete. Participating in the beginning of camp does not benefit the vets they do it all the time and either its under the coaches orders are they know what's going on.ETA, they either say they tweak a hammy, pulled a groin or even fake a holdout only to join the team a week or two before the regular season.
So he's actually not injured in your mind? I'm trying to figure out why he didn't do this the first nine years. You have him confused with Jerry Porter.

'FavreCo said:
'BigTex said:
So he's actually not injured in your mind? I'm trying to figure out why he didn't do this the first nine years. You have him confused with Jerry Porter.
Everyone knows it starts with your 10th year in the NFL. God...have you been living under a rock or something?

'FavreCo said:
'BigTex said:
LOL, no. I'm sure he'll be "recovered" from his alleged injury by 3rd or 4th pre-season game.

'FavreCo said:
'BigTex said:
So it's a conspiracy? Ok....Seriously the dude is injured alot and has burned many. Not me, but yes I agree with those that have had him that he is frustrating.

So many comedians in this thread. I say he doesn't play the full season. Anyone wanna take this bet?
So you won't draft him then? Only target players who have never missed a game and let me see what your team looks like.
So many people who wish they were comedians.The guy has missed 12 games in 2 years, it's always one leg injury or another.
So take him off your draft board. :shrug: (Yeah, I know... I'm a comedian!!!!!11!)

I love Andre, but at these prices (ranked 3rd by FBG?) he is way to expensive. I would love to have him on my team as I think the guy is a blast to watch and fun to have on your roster when he does play. But I think at this point, I need to purchase him only on the discount rack (WR picks 12-18)

'Ghost Rider said:
AJ is awesome when healthy, but the guy is always getting dinged up, which is why he is becoming a risky pick when you take his ADP into account. You basically draft him knowing that you will probably be without him for a few games here or a few games there, and that is not even counting a game or two he might kill you by leaving dinged up in the first quarter. And amazingly, the guy only has 52 touchdowns in 9 NFL seasons. He has never had double digits TDs in a season. Yes, he is a beast when he is healthy, especially in PPR leagues, but I am content to let someone else burn a top draft pick him nowadays.
I would take AJ at his spot over DMAC at his EVERY TIME.You have to be mindful of a few things about AJ. The numbers you posr on him have to be taken with a grain of salt. Much like DMAC, Fred Taylor, and even Fitz and Calvin to a different degree, the situation skews it greatly. yes, he has had injuries. But he is also the guy that almost like clockwork, puts up top 1-2 numbers when he plays. He had a few injuries early in his career, but then he had three seasons where he was a man among boys. And like Fitz, he has been hampered by his team. You have to remember that some of those years he didn't put up double digit TDs were also years with David Carr who was busy putting up 60+ sacks. Megatron has had "down years" also. He was hurt his rookie year. And in 2009, he put up less than 1000 yards and 5 TDs. These guys aren't robots. They play a collision sport and if you keep looking for automatic multiple year production, its very rare. Almost EVERY top fantasy player has an ebb and flow.

I love Andre, but at these prices (ranked 3rd by FBG?) he is way to expensive. I would love to have him on my team as I think the guy is a blast to watch and fun to have on your roster when he does play. But I think at this point, I need to purchase him only on the discount rack (WR picks 12-18)
Yep. Given his recent injury history, he's about as overrated as they come (at least FF-wise).

'Ghost Rider said:
I would take AJ at his spot over DMAC at his EVERY TIME.You have to be mindful of a few things about AJ. The numbers you posr on him have to be taken with a grain of salt. Much like DMAC, Fred Taylor, and even Fitz and Calvin to a different degree, the situation skews it greatly. yes, he has had injuries. But he is also the guy that almost like clockwork, puts up top 1-2 numbers when he plays. He had a few injuries early in his career, but then he had three seasons where he was a man among boys. And like Fitz, he has been hampered by his team. You have to remember that some of those years he didn't put up double digit TDs were also years with David Carr who was busy putting up 60+ sacks. Megatron has had "down years" also. He was hurt his rookie year. And in 2009, he put up less than 1000 yards and 5 TDs.

These guys aren't robots. They play a collision sport and if you keep looking for automatic multiple year production, its very rare. Almost EVERY top fantasy player has an ebb and flow.
Yes, but he is also 31 years old and as SSOG (I think or maybe it was Synthesia) pointed out in another thread, starting at age 28 forward, age can catch up with any WR overnight and there is no real way of predicting when this will happen. Usually it at age 34 and after, but sometimes it is much sooner. We do know that the older a player gets, the healing time for what would be a minor injury for a younger is longer.I am not saying that age has caught up with Johnson, but IMO it is foolish to act like he is exactly the same player he was 5 years ago. He will probably be fine, but being on the wrong side of 30 should cause at least a little hesitation in giving him an unquivocal endorsement, especially with the time he missed last year.

Yep. Given his recent injury history, he's about as overrated as they come (at least FF-wise).
Unless you can accurately predict injuries, tell me a guy other than Calvin or Fitz that can match him AND you would use the appropriate pick for. I'm sure some people will say "well, its less risky to go this guy" or that guy, but as we know, there is reward with risk and given the reward is a guy that can EASILY be the WR1 in fantasy, why trash AJ and act like he's a scourge? Who is going to put up his numbers and honestly you can predict better? Nicks? he has his share of injuries if you're basing on that.AJ/Julio? All you're doing is exchanging your perceived injury risk for "done it once in a row/upside" risk.I mean, yes, there are some guys that you might feel are suitable like Welker or Jennings (which have both had their own injuries the past few years), but at the end of the day, are you REALLY going to say "no! I don't want AJ" and pass on his potential and instead take a guy that is very likely to put up a lot less, and you end up taking your guy a handful of spots higher than what he really warrants?

I mean, yes, there are some guys that you might feel are suitable like Welker or Jennings (which have both had their own injuries the past few years), but at the end of the day, are you REALLY going to say "no! I don't want AJ" and pass on his potential and instead take a guy that is very likely to put up a lot less, and you end up taking your guy a handful of spots higher than what he really warrants?
I don't know why you are assuming this. I think whoever takes AJ, given his ADP, will be taking him higher than he really warrants. I would much rather take a top QB or TE, or even give myself a solid RB2.

"My groin tightened up on me," Johnson said. "It just got tight, and I guess after everything I went through last season, they just wanted me to get an MRI to make sure everything wasn't worse than it was. I hit the ground pretty hard stretching out for a ball, and it just tightened up.

"It's just a minor strain. It will be a week or so, and I'll be back out here. Nothing that I'm not used to. It was very frustrating, but like I said, it happens. I wish I had some control over it, but, unfortunately, I don't. Just keep working and try to get better."

As an owner, I'm not too concerned with this incident but it's starting to look like a trend with this guy at this point. It's always something with his legs and he isn't getting younger.

I mean, yes, there are some guys that you might feel are suitable like Welker or Jennings (which have both had their own injuries the past few years), but at the end of the day, are you REALLY going to say "no! I don't want AJ" and pass on his potential and instead take a guy that is very likely to put up a lot less, and you end up taking your guy a handful of spots higher than what he really warrants?
I don't know why you are assuming this. I think whoever takes AJ, given his ADP, will be taking him higher than he really warrants. I would much rather take a top QB or TE, or even give myself a solid RB2.
To each their own. Not sure how you can say that. Given his ability, he absolutely warrants being the WR3 taken.

"My groin tightened up on me," Johnson said. "It just got tight, and I guess after everything I went through last season, they just wanted me to get an MRI to make sure everything wasn't worse than it was. I hit the ground pretty hard stretching out for a ball, and it just tightened up.

"It's just a minor strain. It will be a week or so, and I'll be back out here. Nothing that I'm not used to. It was very frustrating, but like I said, it happens. I wish I had some control over it, but, unfortunately, I don't. Just keep working and try to get better."

As an owner, I'm not too concerned with this incident but it's starting to look like a trend with this guy at this point. It's always something with his legs and he isn't getting younger.
As an owner, I'm not concerend about it but I am concerned about the errant pass that he is trying to haul in during training camp. He needs to let those balls go. I'll have to talk to him about that.

To each their own. Not sure how you can say that. Given his ability, he absolutely warrants being the WR3 taken.
Depends on where you have to take WR3. I don't feel comfortable taking him early second. Would rather take someone with a higher floor that early.

for most leagues I've seen (12 teams PPR doesn't matter 4 pt pass td 6 for all others) you generally only need to put a late second round pick into him to get him. People are suggesting that he is going top 12 or 15 which isn't the case. Many times I've seen the foster owner able to grab him at or near the 2/3 turn.

When he plays he is in the top 3 WR like clockwork. If I am a top 3 picks guy I take him second round no questions. You can't play FF safe all the time or you end up losing championships. If its me I'll take Andre for 13 weeks over all WR besides Fitz/mega easily

for most leagues I've seen (12 teams PPR doesn't matter 4 pt pass td 6 for all others) you generally only need to put a late second round pick into him to get him. People are suggesting that he is going top 12 or 15 which isn't the case. Many times I've seen the foster owner able to grab him at or near the 2/3 turn.

When he plays he is in the top 3 WR like clockwork. If I am a top 3 picks guy I take him second round no questions. You can't play FF safe all the time or you end up losing championships. If its me I'll take Andre for 13 weeks over all WR besides Fitz/mega easily
yup. We can't predict the future so why try? For me, if I end up having him IN my lineup most weeks, and especially in weeks 15 and 16, then I feel a lot better than if I was rolling with almost anyone else.

He's a top 3-5 WR at the moment, no question in my mind.

With his talent, if you pass on him due to 'injury risk', you're doing yourself a disservice, because all the WRs after him carry similar amounts of risk. Either 'Hes only had 1 good season' risk or 'Hes consistently good but not elite' risk or 'He may not even be WR1 on his own team' risk or something along those lines.

I'll take him over Brandon Marshall, Cruz/Nicks, Roddy White, etc. all day long. Welker is pretty close though.

He's a top 3-5 WR at the moment, no question in my mind.With his talent, if you pass on him due to 'injury risk', you're doing yourself a disservice, because all the WRs after him carry similar amounts of risk. Either 'Hes only had 1 good season' risk or 'Hes consistently good but not elite' risk or 'He may not even be WR1 on his own team' risk or something along those lines.I'll take him over Brandon Marshall, Cruz/Nicks, Roddy White, etc. all day long. Welker is pretty close though.
Assuming you are dead set on a WR at that time. Your options open when you consider the possibility of other positions.

He's a top 3-5 WR at the moment, no question in my mind.With his talent, if you pass on him due to 'injury risk', you're doing yourself a disservice, because all the WRs after him carry similar amounts of risk. Either 'Hes only had 1 good season' risk or 'Hes consistently good but not elite' risk or 'He may not even be WR1 on his own team' risk or something along those lines.I'll take him over Brandon Marshall, Cruz/Nicks, Roddy White, etc. all day long. Welker is pretty close though.
Assuming you are dead set on a WR at that time. Your options open when you consider the possibility of other positions.
That's generally true at about 200 draft spots. But in a case like this, you're making the decision on what is arguably top 3WR with a legit shot at being the top WR overall. Its not exactly the same as deciding this vs. deciding on being dead set on taking a RB2 at a certain spot.

That's generally true at about 200 draft spots. But in a case like this, you're making the decision on what is arguably top 3WR with a legit shot at being the top WR overall. Its not exactly the same as deciding this vs. deciding on being dead set on taking a RB2 at a certain spot.
I don't understand what you're saying here.

Users who are viewing this thread