What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Tale of 2 Halves (players rising, falling) (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s

Footballguy
Who are the players who had a slow first half of the season that you expect to become major difference makers for the second half?

Diontae Johnson- Slow start and the injury left people feeling like whatever magic this guy had with Big Ben was officially history. I think we've seen since his return that he still can get open at will and is going to demand a ton of targets. Him not scoring TDs was a fluke and I actually think he scores several more times this year to fully end that bizarre anomaly. I predict he finishes the year with 6 TDs.

Jayden Reed- He hasn't been bad but he hasn't really been playable either. I think he is about to establish himself as the WR1 for Green Bay and their most reliable target. Now I don't think this translates to rookie OBJ or anything. The offense isn't good enough to create a special fantasy player at any position. However, I think Reed moves into a guy managers can feel comfortable starting regularly.

Vice versa, who are the players who had hot starts that we expect to come back to Earth?

Puka- I spent a lot on him in FAAB and it's been worth it but I think Puka's magical run might be over. Not to say he is useless or anything but I think he probably falls into more of the WR2/3 range than the top 10 WR he has played as.

Ken Walker- Charbs is going to make this either a 50/50 backfield or one where game to game, usage is unpredictable. I think Carroll wants to keep both guys fresh and ready for a playoff run. He is thinking big picture and wants to make sure he has 2 guys who he can lean on.

Last edited:
I mean, Olave HAS to pop.
He is getting the targets so logically it probably should happen but on the other hand, he's pretty much performing for fantasy the same as he did last year. Maybe this is just what he is and he won't take leap like many just assumed he would.

Last edited:

That is a good one. I am not sure. So many weapons for the Saints. I think it takes a couple of injuries for him to live up to his 3rd round draft status.
Just my personal opinion, but if I was defensive coordinator for opposing team the Saints have two players I'm scheming for. Kamara. Olave. Thats it. Imo

That is why Shaheed and Taysom Hill have had a lot success lately.

That is a good one. I am not sure. So many weapons for the Saints. I think it takes a couple of injuries for him to live up to his 3rd round draft status.
Just my personal opinion, but if I was defensive coordinator for opposing team the Saints have two players I'm scheming for. Kamara. Olave. Thats it. Imo
The thing about Kamara is he seems to be just catching dump offs. If I am the DC, that is fine with me. I am more worried about Shaheed ripping off 50 yard catches.

The thing about Kamara is he seems to be just catching dump offs. If I am the DC, that is fine with me. I am more worried about Shaheed ripping off 50 yard catches.
The reason those Kamara dump offs are minimal gains is because teams are scheming for it. I hope your right and teams start scheming Shaheed more. Those 5 yard dump offs now become Kamara in the secondary for 20. Imo

I like the Walker, Puka, and especially Diontae shouts. Tough for me to see Reed though.

2 guys I think heat up after slow starts:
Dalton Kincaid, I think he's the #2 in the passing game going forward, even after Knox is back. There is a top-3 ceiling at TE for him, I think.

Tee Higgins, its a little bit of an obvious call, but Burrow looks back to normal, and I don't suddenly think Mixon is going to be an elite FF player again, so the passing game (besides Chase) is going to be the ticket for Cincy. I could have just as easily said Burrow, but I imagine Higgins is easier to trade for, as people who held Burrow this long, likely see the ROI about to happen.

2 guys I think cool off after fast starts:
Adam Thielen, I just think the Panthers offense starts to have more than 1 thing that works, and guys his age have a history of fading as the season goes on.

Travis Kelce, not that he stops being the TE1 or anything, but it gets a lot closer. Kelce is 4 PPG ahead of 2nd place Andrews at the moment, and I think that number gets closer to 1 or 2.

I get the Jayden Reed call being a bit of a stretch, that offense is pretty bad. I am not saying he will be a league winner but simply become a guy worth starting. He ran the most routes of any Packer WR last week. Reed ran a route on 88% of the Packers pass plays, the highest rate for any Packer all year. He's got a TD or a 30 yard catch in 6 games so far. PFF has him as the highest graded Packer rookie. So there are some signs that he might be coming along.

I like Jayden Reed; as the Packers primary slot WR he has carved out a role for himself, which he maintained after Watson came back. He has struggled with contested catches, though, especially on deep balls.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the rookie improved over the last 10 games. Most people view him as a WR4/5 but he’s an outstanding route runner. Has lined up one slot 158 snaps (11th) and averages 1.71 YRR (31st.)

Solid contributor more than breakout but he won’t hurt your lineup IMO.

Lot of mid round guys who it just hasn’t been their year showing up on WWs with byes kicking in. Roster cloggers like Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Samje Perine, Antonio Gibson. Any reason to kick the tires?

Any more “hasn’t lived up to their draft capital” players who might do something in the 2nd half?

I get the Jayden Reed call being a bit of a stretch, that offense is pretty bad. I am not saying he will be a league winner but simply become a guy worth starting. He ran the most routes of any Packer WR last week. Reed ran a route on 88% of the Packers pass plays, the highest rate for any Packer all year. He's got a TD or a 30 yard catch in 6 games so far. PFF has him as the highest graded Packer rookie. So there are some signs that he might be coming along.
Im intrigued by this and he’s available in my small league. I’m seriously tempted to drop Pickens for him after that abysmal performance Thursday…

Just a gut feeling, but I think Javonte will be a low-end RB1 ROS
He seems fully healthy, and he has had an uptick in usage the last couple of games. Even if the Broncos fall behind changing the game script, he is a good pass-catcher.

I also am banking on Tee Higgins returning to form. Burrow finally healthy and Cincy looking like they're finally clicking on all cylinders leads me to believe that he can do just that.

Gabe Davis, yes he has a pretty good first half, but is going to have a much better (consistent) second half. All thanks to Dawson Knox injury forcing the team to leave the 2 TE sets and have an offensive scheme to get Davis easier targets and his YAC ability was on full display. Dawson Knox may come back but by then no need to change the much better formula that is working!

Tank Dell, finally getting back from the concussion and has a great launchpad against Buccs where Gabe Davis unleashed their untapped potential, the same can happen for Tank!

Austin Ekler, this is a gimme, injury derailed 1st half where in week 1 they were a monster and then people worry he won't be the same. He'll be all right IMO. HAS at worst diminish you by 15-18%

Jerome Ford, I was noting his heavy slated workload coincided with going up against tough opponents early on BAL/TEN/BYE/SF. Then the injury. Open the door for Hunt to get more work and I was pissed. However it is what it is. The schedule though is much easier in the 2nd half. Last week 20/26 snaps came from the 4th quarter when the game was in the balance. Hunt was actualy PO'ed that he was out of the game during this crucial time. My takeaway is that Ford coming back from injury is their preferred guy and I expect the workload to increase for Ford.

Kyler Murray/Hollywood Brown, Murray will be back next week(Week 10). I'm excited! Could be top 7 QB.

David Montgomery, Most underrated RB in league. Dan Campbell loves this style. Gibbs is a good compliment but the main fantasy touches run through Monty.

Just need Injury/something to create opportunity:
Tyjae Spears, TEN making switch to Levis eventually they should do so and get Spears a better look for next season, Derrick Henry s a free agent in 2024.
Roschon Johnson, Khalil coming back from injury and Donta Foreman has a 3 TD game. but if we are saying the Bears are gearing up for future Roschon can be that and then some.
Jaleel McLaughlin, he is lightning. But yea prolly just need to monitor him as soon as he stikes again I will likely get my fools gold back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOP 10 RB Backfields with the 𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗜𝗘𝗦𝗧 remaining schedule
1.) Isiah Pacheco
2.) Jonathan Taylor / Zack Moss
3.) Breece Hall
4.) Austin Ekeler
5.) Rhamondre Stevenson
6.) Rachaad White
7.) Derrick Henry / Tyjae Spears
8.) David Montgomery / Jahmyr Gibbs
9.) Travis Etienne
10.) Alvin Kamara

Last edited:
Im intrigued by this and he’s available in my small league. I’m seriously tempted to drop Pickens for him after that abysmal performance Thursday…
Not sure I would go that far, but I do get the frustration people have with Pickens.

Gabe Davis, yes he has a pretty good first half, but is going to have a much better (consistent) second half. All thanks to Dawson Knox injury forcing the team to leave the 2 TE sets and have an offensive scheme to get Davis easier targets and his YAC ability was on full display. Dawson Knox may come back but by then no need to change the much better formula that is working!

Tank Dell, finally getting back from the concussion and has a great launchpad against Buccs where Gabe Davis unleashed their untapped potential, the same can happen for Tank!

Austin Ekler, this is a gimme, injury derailed 1st half where in week 1 they were a monster and then people worry he won't be the same. He'll be all right IMO. HAS at worst diminish you by 15-18%

Jerome Ford, I was noting his heavy slated workload coincided with going up against tough opponents early on BAL/TEN/BYE/SF. Then the injury. Open the door for Hunt to get more work and I was pissed. However it is what it is. The schedule though is much easier in the 2nd half. Last week 20/26 snaps came from the 4th quarter when the game was in the balance. Hunt was actualy PO'ed that he was out of the game during this crucial time. My takeaway is that Ford coming back from injury is their preferred guy and I expect the workload to increase for Ford.

Kyler Murray/Hollywood Brown, Murray will be back next week(Week 10). I'm excited! Could be top 7 QB.

David Montgomery, Most underrated RB in league. Dan Campbell loves this style. Gibbs is a good compliment but the main fantasy touches run through Monty.

Just need Injury/something to create opportunity:
Tyjae Spears, TEN making switch to Levis eventually they should do so and get Spears a better look for next season, Derrick Henry s a free agent in 2024.
Roschon Johnson, Khalil coming back from injury and Donta Foreman has a 3 TD game. but if we are saying the Bears are gearing up for future Roschon can be that and then some.
Jaleel McLaughlin, he is lightning. But yea prolly just need to monitor him as soon as he stikes again I will likely get my fools gold back.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOP 10 RB Backfields with the 𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗜𝗘𝗦𝗧 remaining schedule
1.) Isiah Pacheco
2.) Jonathan Taylor / Zack Moss
3.) Breece Hall
4.) Austin Ekeler
5.) Rhamondre Stevenson
6.) Rachaad White
7.) Derrick Henry / Tyjae Spears
8.) David Montgomery / Jahmyr Gibbs
9.) Travis Etienne
10.) Alvin Kamara
Is this a hype post for my teams?

nice call here

Users who are viewing this thread