What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sonata or Fusion (1 Viewer)

mkripke

Footballguy
I am in the market for a new car and the main criteria is the gas mileage as I will be driving 450 miles a week for work. I think I have narrowed it down to these 2 cars. My question first question is, which is a better vehicle? My second is, do I look to spend the extra $$$ for hybrid version?

Wife still loves her Sonata after half a year. Buddy with the hybrid says don't get that, not worth it.

To me it feels really light, hardly touch the gas and it jumps. Some like that, I prefer a nice heavy car like my Monte Carlo. But it's easily roomy enough for me at 6'3 250.

The dash currently reads 18.2 mpg, but that's probably a worst case scenario (she drives 5 miles to her friends house and they carpool to work in the friend's vehicle).

Here's something I don't understand but seems like a positive. I got a carfax report last month when I refinanced and it said the value of the car had gone up $90 :confused:

Love my sonata. 2nd one I have owned. First was a 2002 that I put 215000 miles on. 2nd is a 2013 that has 41000 on it. Cant beat the warranties that come with it too

Had the same choice a year ago. Fusion hybrid is supposed to be good. Dont bother with Sonata hybrid unless they improved. I test drove Fusion hybrid and regular Sonata. I went with the Sonata because it has more room inside. Im sure Fusion blows it away mpg wise though so if you are not a big guy and really care more about mpg than roominess maybe go Fusion. Ive had no complaints on my Sonata. Only thing is the low profile tires seem to like to lose air over time a little more often.

Had a sonata and had no problems. It was terrible in the snow though. Anecdotally my Ford pickup has been awesome, no fusion experience though.

on the one hand i like ford for not being government motors on the other hand i like hiundies because of the warranty and they are basically made in the usa anyhow so hey who knows why not buy a muscle car like a charger or something take that to the bank brohan

Price is my second concern, so the Fusion and Sonata seemed best fit for what I can afford

And FYI

I have a Charger now, that is the reason for the change

mkripke said:
I am in the market for a new car and the main criteria is the gas mileage as I will be driving 450 miles a week for work. I think I have narrowed it down to these 2 cars. My question first question is, which is a better vehicle? My second is, do I look to spend the extra $$$ for hybrid version?
Get a gas guzzler. The sooner we burn up all the fossil fuel, the sooner we can stop worrying about peak oil.

Just got a Fusion week and a half ago. Been happy with it so far. Average 22 MPG right now combined. I haven't driven a Sonata so I can't give you a comp there. Also drove a Volvo S60 with the Drive E. They say it gets 37 MPG combined. The motor stops at red lights and such. It was more fun to drive but cost a bit more.

Sonata advertises 24 city 35 highway. I do alot of city driving and AC in summer so I get closer to 24-25. In winter without AC closer to 27 or so. Longs trips where you can get up to speed closer to 31. I have not tried to use the ECO button to save fuelbut supposedly that helps a little. Sonata was also cheaper than Fusion at the time a year ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonata, but I have a feeling they are going to be overhauling their model soon, it's been awhile. Owning an old model Hyundai makes you look poor.

ChiefD said:
Buy American. Fusion.
You mean the American car built in Mexico?

The all-new model year 2013 Ford Fusion is the next step on the Ford Global-Car strategy, started with the Focus and then the extension of Fiesta production into North America, both in 2012. Like the previous generation Fusion, the final assembly takes place at Hermosillo Stamping & Assembly, Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. Due to strong sales of the redesigned 2013 year model, additional capacity was added in Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Michigan. This is the first time the Fusion is built in the U.S. and assembling at Flat Rock began in August 2013. The hybrid version and the Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid will continue to be produced exclusively in Mexico.[44]

Stoneys said:
Love my sonata. 2nd one I have owned. First was a 2002 that I put 215000 miles on. 2nd is a 2013 that has 41000 on it. Cant beat the warranties that come with it too
Why do you have a Mopar avatar then? :oldunsure:

Sonata advertises 24 city 35 highway. I do alot of city driving and AC in summer so I get closer to 24-25. In winter without AC closer to 27 or so. Longs trips where you can get up to speed closer to 31. I have not tried to use the ECO button to save fuelbut supposedly that helps a little. Sonata was also cheaper than Fusion at the time a year ago.
:shrug: I'm getting over 27 mpg on my 2014 Fusion, and that's mostly just around town mileage. On my one real highway trip I got almost 38 mpg.

ETA: I believe Ford just announced 0% financing for 6 years for Fusions.

:shrug: I'm getting over 27 mpg on my 2014 Fusion, and that's mostly just around town mileage. On my one real highway trip I got almost 38 mpg.ETA: I believe Ford just announced 0% financing for 6 years for Fusions.
I believe you. Its a smaller car so it should get better mpg.

I vote for whichever one you can get a better price on.

(Full disclosure, I own a Sonata)

Stoneys said:
Stoneys said:
Why do you have a Mopar avatar then? :oldunsure:
We (I mean my FiL) drag race a 1967 Dodge Dart GT Convertible)
maybe you can get your father in law to take me on as a teammate and he and me can blast down the runway in a real car and you can go pick up some groceries in that sweet snotota i sort of get the feeling that me and pops would be buds and i bet he would even like a good old schlitz every now and then take that to the bank brohan

Company car is a Fusion, crappy cheep tires and a bunch of recalls so far. Would never want to have to make a decision to buy a car like these.

Mazda6 would be my pick in this class with 40 mpg highway, fun to drive, nice amenities, looks great. Can get a Grand Touring for right around 30k.

Get a Prius. I was in a similar situation several years ago, and I did the math and went with the Prius. I figured I would be settling anyways since I didn't love the Sonata, Accord, etc. , so why not just go all in for best mileage?

Besides, all of the big stars in Hollywood have a Prius. Leonardo DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, Uma Thurman, keyshawn Johnson, Cameron Diaz, Larry David, Own Wilson, Orlando Bloom, Dustin Hoffman, etc.

How close are Teslas to being affordable for non-FBGs? Thought I heard a $50k model was in the works?

How close are Teslas to being affordable for non-FBGs? Thought I heard a $50k model was in the works?
I heard a $35k model was in the works
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/07/16/a-35000-tesla-model-iii-is-coming-in-2017/
If I can get 2-3 more years out of my current car, I'm seriously going to consider getting one of these when they come out.
Same. I get 35 mpg in my current car (2003 Corolla). But to be able to drive by the gas station for good? Sign me up.

Company car is a Fusion, crappy cheep tires and a bunch of recalls so far.
Fusion actually has some of the better used car ratings on Consumer Reports (think the 2012 had some recalls though). For the price it's one of the better buys in the used car market, more car for the money than Camry or Accord.

I was going to buy a new Accord but I think I'm going to either get a Fusion or a Civic for commuting.

Definitely Sonata. Screw America!
Where are Hyundai cars made?

Hyundai may be a Korean company, but over half the cars we sell in the U.S. are made here. We have a technologically sophisticated manufacturing facility in Montgomery, Alabama, engineering facilities in Michigan, plus design, research, and testing grounds in California.

Don't know. We had a Fusion and had nothing but trouble, although some of the other reviews say differently. We've had a Hyundai for a while now and love it. Both were bought used.

I will look at Sonatas I guess but they aren't as prevalent in this area.

Flap what issues did you have with the Fusion? What year did you have?

Users who are viewing this thread