What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sigmond Bloom's top 75 dynasty RBs (pre-free agency) (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Came out a few days ago and didn't see a thread. Sigmond Bloom's top-75 dynasty RBs pre-free agency so I wanted to post this before free agent RBs start getting moved around.

Long list so only posting top-thirty.

Go to the link to see the full list:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloomtop75dynastyRBpreFA

With maybe the best RB draft class since 2008 on tap and a free agent market flush with veteran talent, consider this list to have an expiration date of about one week. Running back continues to be the most mercurial position in fantasy football.

1. LeVeon Bell - PIT - King of the mountain. Well ahead of the pack and might get even better.

2. Eddie Lacy - GB - At the top of his game and young. Draft durability concerns fading

3. DeMarco Murray - DAL - At career peak and potential downgrade in situation coming

4. LeSean McCoy - PHI - 2014 dropoff in passing game was unexpected. Healthy OL could help

5. Jamaal Charles - KC - still performing at high level, but for how long?

6. Jeremy Hill - CIN - Young and high weekly ceiling but lower weekly floor than other backs this high

7. Matt Forte - CHI - Maybe the last year he’ll be considered elite but produced thru turmoil

8. Arian Foster - HOU - stud when he plays, but will that be less frequently in future?

9. Adrian Peterson - MIN(?) - Likely still a strong RB1, but clock is ticking. Could land in jackpot spot like DAL, IND

10. C.J. Anderson - DEN - Either slightly undervalued or wildly overvalued, I lean former.

11. Carlos Hyde - SF - Poised to take over, but possible Gore retention may delay take off.

12. Marshawn Lynch - SEA - Could retire, could be a stud RB1 for two more years (or more)

13. Lamar Miller - MIA - Finished 2014 strong and should get shot for more in 2015

14. Andre Ellington - ARI - Size/durability could limit role, but still more explosive than 2014 showed

15. Giovani Bernard - CIN - Stuck in an early career Reggie Bush role, but has some Westbrook in him

16. Alfred Morris - WAS - lacks PPR punch, but still a good RB in his prime

17. Christine Michael - SEA - I still believe in his talent. Only 24. Stuck behind near HOF level RB.

18. Isaiah Crowell - CLE - Talent to become guy Browns commit to, but they haven’t done that yet

19. Tre Mason - STL - One-dimensional and fared similar to Stacy from FF point of view

20. Jonathan Stewart - CAR - Very troubling injury history but set up for RB2 numbers

21. Doug Martin - TB - Recovered a little, but lost a lot of luster and team likes Sims22. Mark Ingram - FA - Would actually benefit from return to New Orleans. Situation uncertain

23. Latavius Murray - OAK - Physical gifts and a likely opportunity to run with the job in Oakland, but I’m not 100% sold.[SIZE=.81em] [/SIZE]

24. Joique Bell - DET - Workmanlike but was borderline RB1. Hope DET doesn't take RB early.

25. Justin Forsett - FA - Either back in Baltimore or elsewhere, should get lion's share of work in 2015.

26. Devonta Freeman - ATL - Falcons will add a back or two, but Freeman will get some sort of role to prove himself in Shanahan run game.[SIZE=.81em] [/SIZE]

27. C.J. Spiller - FA - Future uncertain, big value leap if he ends up reunited with Chan Gailey on the Jets.

28. Jerick McKinnon - MIN - Whether it’s Adrian Peterson or someone else, McKinnon looks like a time share back and not a receiver on Ellington/Bernard level.

29. Chris Ivory - NYJ - Ivory has stayed healthy and looked good, but the Jets offense is brutal.

30. Ryan Mathews - FA - Mathews didn’t end his rookie contract on a high note, but could be signed to start somewhere in free agency.

I like denard (#32) quite a bit more than guys like freeman, ivory, rice who bloom has higher. Young playmaker still learning the position and had a great streak last year.

I dont like Stewart that much. Hyde might be overhyped. I dont like CM that high.

Ingram is too low. He is young still.

I've got Michaels on a few teams and I'd love for it to work out for him and I'm certainly holding but this ranking of him seems way to high.

It's fine if you can't get on the field because you are stuck behind a HOF caliber RB. It's not so great if you are running third string, the team is opening up their pocketbook to extend Lynch and so many mocks-many from fairly credible people, have Seattle taking a RB-indication being they have reason to believe Seattle is not comfortable with who they have if Lynch leaves.

Also don't think Mason is one dimensional. He could not block last year, but he could operate quite effectively as a receiver out of the backfield when called upon and he can grow as a blocker. He's super young and came from a completely different system in college, if he was one dimensional last year I don't think that's an accurate indicator of what he'll be, I see a guy with a 3 down skill set.

Agree with those who thing Ingram is to low. Spiller was other one that jumped out at as being to low to me but I'm just assuming wherever he goes it's better than Buffalo. Also with whoever said they like Denard a lot more than many people on this list, I agree with that as well. Not only was he showing nicely last year in an offense that every other RB was struggling to run but he was consistently picking up yardage(can't remember exact stat but high percentage of runs netted positive yardage) and he has enough plus athletic attributes and still being fairly new to the position I think he's got more growth potential.

29. Chris Ivory - NYJ - Ivory has stayed healthy and looked good, but the Jets offense is brutal.

30. Ryan Mathews - FA - Mathews didn’t end his rookie contract on a high note, but could be signed to start somewhere in free agency.
Replace these with Khiry Robinson and Sankey.

Now that most of the big free agency moves have been made I'd be interested to see an update on this list.

Some big moves in free agency and suspensions and other situations that should have impacted dynasty RB rankings pre-draft.

- Suspension of #1 rated RB LeVeon Bell 'could' have an impact because he's now in the NFL testing program and he's already had his first suspension which could have further negative dynasty implications that other top rated backs don't face

Some free agency relocations that should have big impacts on the list:

- DeMarco Murray

- LeSean McCoy

- Frank Gore that would have direct effect on Carlos Hyde

- Marshawn Lynch staying to impact Christine Michael

- Reggie Bush cut bumping up Joique Bell

Then the saga of RB Adrian Peterson and whether or not he stays in Minnesota.

What would your top ten-twenty dynasty RB list look like right now?

I don't think much has changed (in terms of rankings) because of those moves myself. Most of them weren't completely unexpected and thus at least somewhat priced in with the exception of McCoy, and his value hasn't changed a lot IMO- not quite as good of an offense, but he's likely to get more receptions and goal line work. Gore moves up some, but he's still going to be 32 yrs. old.

Many people dig in their heels on lists so you are right most won't think that free agency and what has happened prior to free agency will have significant impact but if you look at past ranking lists they might accurately reflect the group think of the fantasy community but by the end of the year, looking back with 20-20 hindsight they can see how subtle things changed early perceptions.

So yes, people will dismiss subtle changes but I think by the end of the year we will look back to see some of the moves that have been made had a significant impact.

Its too easy to think that at this time last year everyone knew DeMarco Murray would be the NFL leading rusher but that was not the case. People were saying he didn't score TDs and he wasn't durable and other gripes but then Dallas drafted OG Zach Martin to pair with two other first round draft picks and they went with a run heavy attack. Now his situation has changed and I think dramatically not just a different O-Line but Chip has stated he will share the workload. Joique Bell could be in line for an increase in his workload now that Reggie Bush is gone. If Adrian Peterson sits or is traded Jerrick McKinnon could be a top-ten prospect.

The art is trying to determine what moves could make big impacts down the line and moving guys who hold high value and acquiring undervalued prospects before the group think catches up and lists are changed.

I like denard (#32) quite a bit more than guys like freeman, ivory, rice who bloom has higher. Young playmaker still learning the position and had a great streak last year.
I can't stand Ivory for FF. He always messes with someone I have in FF and never seems to be enough to be the man himself.

I really like Denard's prospects too. When they gave him around 20 carries he gave them 100 yards. A lot of RBs need the work to get their motor going find their groove (whatever cliche) and his average is even better in those games where he had many carries. Geesh I like all that. Now if they can find a way to be in games and get him those carries.

I think you've gotta rank Robinson ahead of guys that haven't played, in general. Two years of experience now and he showed he can produce.

With interviews and visits- Dallas seems to be taking a top RB in the draft.

That would make whichever rook seem like the best of the best situations.

There's too many rumors that they were or are interested in ADP and Chris Johnson for them to be false. I would actually draft CJ in FF again if he landed behind that line.

Anyhow, I like the overall "air" that the Boys are still landing another RB and McFadden isn't their whole plan.

Many people dig in their heels on lists so you are right most won't think that free agency and what has happened prior to free agency will have significant impact but if you look at past ranking lists they might accurately reflect the group think of the fantasy community but by the end of the year, looking back with 20-20 hindsight they can see how subtle things changed early perceptions.

So yes, people will dismiss subtle changes but I think by the end of the year we will look back to see some of the moves that have been made had a significant impact.

Its too easy to think that at this time last year everyone knew DeMarco Murray would be the NFL leading rusher but that was not the case. People were saying he didn't score TDs and he wasn't durable and other gripes but then Dallas drafted OG Zach Martin to pair with two other first round draft picks and they went with a run heavy attack. Now his situation has changed and I think dramatically not just a different O-Line but Chip has stated he will share the workload. Joique Bell could be in line for an increase in his workload now that Reggie Bush is gone. If Adrian Peterson sits or is traded Jerrick McKinnon could be a top-ten prospect.

The art is trying to determine what moves could make big impacts down the line and moving guys who hold high value and acquiring undervalued prospects before the group think catches up and lists are changed.
Fantasy football requires a lot of guesswork. There is no way to know in advance how players are going to perform, even if there is little to no change in their situations. That's by far the biggest reason why people get rankings wrong, not underestimating changes in situation or group think.

I certainly don't think that at this time last year everyone knew that DeMarco Murray would be the NFL leading rusher, but that's kind of the point- he had never managed to stay healthy in his entire career, so people weren't projecting him to stay healthy all of last season either. I know his situation changed now, but if you look at Sig's notes, he specifically mentions that a "potential downgrade in situation is coming". That was already factored into his #3 ranking, and out of all of the likely landing spots, Philly is one of the better ones IMO. Who are you going to move ahead of him?

Sure, Joique Bell could be in line for an increase in his workload, but again, Bush leaving wasn't a shock so it was already factored in. It's also pretty likely that they sign or draft another RB to replace the limited touches Bush had to begin with.

Same for AP- of course what happens to him will impact McKinnon, but we don't know what's going to happen with him so you're just guessing right now. If/when something happens with AP he will likely move up some, but are you pricing in a 100% chance of that right now?

I've considered the moves that have been made so far and just don't think they are that dramatic for FF. If Murray had signed in Jax or Oak it would have been different, but I think his health is going to have a much bigger impact on his fantasy value than the team change. No doubt most rankings will be off with hindsight, but that isn't because of what you think it is IMO.

There's too many rumors that they were or are interested in ADP and Chris Johnson for them to be false. I would actually draft CJ in FF again if he landed behind that line.

Anyhow, I like the overall "air" that the Boys are still landing another RB and McFadden isn't their whole plan.
Where did you see this rumor ?

Haven't seen CJ linked to any teams, let alone the Cowboys.

Where did you see this rumor ?

Haven't seen CJ linked to any teams, let alone the Cowboys.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS529US529&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=chris%20johnson%20cowboys&es_th=1

Blount

ridley

Vereen

Montee ball

terrance west

Five guys outside the top thirty who could give you rb1 production if things work out right

Fantasy football requires a lot of guesswork. There is no way to know in advance how players are going to perform, even if there is little to no change in their situations. That's by far the biggest reason why people get rankings wrong, not underestimating changes in situation or group think.

I certainly don't think that at this time last year everyone knew that DeMarco Murray would be the NFL leading rusher, but that's kind of the point- he had never managed to stay healthy in his entire career, so people weren't projecting him to stay healthy all of last season either. I know his situation changed now, but if you look at Sig's notes, he specifically mentions that a "potential downgrade in situation is coming". That was already factored into his #3 ranking, and out of all of the likely landing spots, Philly is one of the better ones IMO. Who are you going to move ahead of him?

Sure, Joique Bell could be in line for an increase in his workload, but again, Bush leaving wasn't a shock so it was already factored in. It's also pretty likely that they sign or draft another RB to replace the limited touches Bush had to begin with.

Same for AP- of course what happens to him will impact McKinnon, but we don't know what's going to happen with him so you're just guessing right now. If/when something happens with AP he will likely move up some, but are you pricing in a 100% chance of that right now?

I've considered the moves that have been made so far and just don't think they are that dramatic for FF. If Murray had signed in Jax or Oak it would have been different, but I think his health is going to have a much bigger impact on his fantasy value than the team change. No doubt most rankings will be off with hindsight, but that isn't because of what you think it is IMO.
Fantasy football is more than just random guesswork without any information to base decisions on. Fantasy football is also based on making informed decisions when information is there for the taking. How much or how little value you place on the information presented will reflect in any decision made.

Some people dismissed DeMarco Murray from ever having the sort of production he had last year based on previous seasons when he did not have the sort of O-Line play that he had last year. When the Boys drafted Zach Martin some jumped on that information where others dismissed the new information and placed more value on past performance. Sig did not have current information when he made the list.

Detroit probably will add to the RB position but right now Joique's situation is different than when the original list was made. AdP's situation continues to manifest but the longer the situation goes unsettled Jerrick McKinnon's potential value now would increase.

Of the moves I listed I think DeMarco's value stands to decrease and Carlos Hyde stands to increase.

The difference is now we know how the situations have changed so its reasonable to change the rankings based on new information.

I can't stand Ivory for FF. He always messes with someone I have in FF and never seems to be enough to be the man himself.

I really like Denard's prospects too. When they gave him around 20 carries he gave them 100 yards. A lot of RBs need the work to get their motor going find their groove (whatever cliche) and his average is even better in those games where he had many carries. Geesh I like all that. Now if they can find a way to be in games and get him those carries.

I think you've gotta rank Robinson ahead of guys that haven't played, in general. Two years of experience now and he showed he can produce.
Ivory is a frustrating player to own, especially in PPR. Not only does he always split carries but he gets almost no receptions. If you're starting him you're essentially praying for a TD - and not to get hurt leaving you with a 2 point day.

Fantasy football is more than just random guesswork without any information to base decisions on. Fantasy football is also based on making informed decisions when information is there for the taking. How much or how little value you place on the information presented will reflect in any decision made.

Some people dismissed DeMarco Murray from ever having the sort of production he had last year based on previous seasons when he did not have the sort of O-Line play that he had last year. When the Boys drafted Zach Martin some jumped on that information where others dismissed the new information and placed more value on past performance. Sig did not have current information when he made the list.

Detroit probably will add to the RB position but right now Joique's situation is different than when the original list was made. AdP's situation continues to manifest but the longer the situation goes unsettled Jerrick McKinnon's potential value now would increase.

Of the moves I listed I think DeMarco's value stands to decrease and Carlos Hyde stands to increase.

The difference is now we know how the situations have changed so its reasonable to change the rankings based on new information.
Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't say it wasn't anything more than random guesswork without any information to base decisions on.

You keep bringing up Murray- the fact is no one projected him to have the season he had, even those who "jumped" on the information of them drafting Zack Martin. Zack Martin wasn't the reason for his insanely good season. He certainly helped, but it was pretty much the perfect storm for him this year- I'd argue that staying healthy and the Cowboys plan on running him into the ground were both bigger factors.

The main point is that Sig clearly factored in a chance that Murray would be elsewhere in those rankings- he said so in black and white. So unless you think Philly is a worse than expected landing spot for his fantasy value, it doesn't warrant a huge drop in the rankings. Same goes for Hyde- the expectation was that Gore would be gone, if not this year then almost certainly next, so that's already mostly baked into the cake. Same goes for Joique, and McKinnon, etc- none of these moves came out of nowhere, and pretty much everyone is aware of what is going on. Do you think there are many McKinnon owners who aren't paying attention to the AP situation? Of course they are, and his value/rankings reflect that.

Yes, there is new information. I just don't think that new information makes a huge difference in their rankings since they already incorporated some of the possibility that these moves would happen. Of course, you may disagree- how far are you dropping Murray and moving up Hyde?

Ivory's been in the league 5 years and has a max of 830 rushing yards on a season. There will be competition there going forward, and I don't think he'll ever be a viable fantasy starter. Rather have many fo the guys behind him.

Riddick is too high as well for a 3rd down back who wont ever be featured. Career 2.6 so far isn't going to get you a bigger rush total.

Agree with others that Robinson way to low.

Also disagree that West was "Clearly outplayed by Isaiah Crowell, value dropping" They had roughly the same YPC, and West got the vast majority of short yardage carries (and did very well with them). He was also playing more than Crow down the stretch. At best, this is a draw to me, yet there are 32 slots between them.

Mason is too low. Not sure how he is any more "one dimensional" than the vast majority of backs on the list. Was pretty effective, seems to be the clear starter, is very young and has talent. He's 5 spots lower than Andre Ellington who ran at 3.3 last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is new information. I just don't think that new information makes a huge difference in their rankings since they already incorporated some of the possibility that these moves would happen. Of course, you may disagree- how far are you dropping Murray and moving up Hyde?
Sig has changed the value on some of the RBs on this list due to the changes that have happened in free agency.

He lists:

- 11 RBs whose value has gone UP.

- 7 who he lists as UP for NOW.

- 2 maybe DOWN

- 9 DOWN

Go to the link for the FREE article.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloomRBwinloseFA2015

Ellington listed as up, when previous at 14 makes very little sense to me. Arizona was actively going after AP, and couldn't bring him in most likely because of his salary. There is a strong handful of very talented options coming out in the draft. Just because they didn't get AP doesn't mean they aren't bringing in another back.

Ellington isn't the kind of talent that will be immune to competition. He is the best they have right now. But he looks like a really good, 4.6 running, 200 pound 3rd down back to me. When they featured him he didn't make the grade. He has one career 100 yard rushing game.

Sig has changed the value on some of the RBs on this list due to the changes that have happened in free agency.

He lists:

- 2 maybe DOWN

- 9 DOWN

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloomRBwinloseFA2015
It isn't clear if this list is for redraft or dynasty, but if you look at the guys you mentioned, most of them either aren't on his list at all, or they're in the "maybe up, maybe down" group (Murray he specifically mentions he has in the same exact #3 RB spot).

Much of what Bloom said about Matthews is why I think he's more trade bait on draft day.

I expect Kelly to give a tremendous effort toward getting whomever he wants. He may strike out with Mariotta, but there's probably tons of players he covets.

Value wise for dynasty- I think it's worth trying to get him now. Of course he was Whisenhunt's back and Sankey hasn't panned out but there's also plenty of teams that would be interested and...I think he's worth the minimal trade amount you'd have to give up to get him in dynasty.

He lists:

- 2 maybe DOWN

- 9 DOWN

It isn't clear if this list is for redraft or dynasty, but if you look at the guys you mentioned, most of them either aren't on his list at all, or they're in the "maybe up, maybe down" group.
Well if you add up the total of guys Sig feels have changed values it adds up to 29 RBs who he feels that free agency has changed their values.

You can disagree with his interpretation of individual names on the list, I disagree with his interpretation of the Vikings RB situation where has both AdP AND Jerrick McKinnon's value dropping with only Matt Asiata's value going up. But the point is Sig has a lot of guys who he feels either have changed values or could change values UP or DOWN. He didn't write an article saying nothing has changed.

What do people think about Blount? As of now NE's only other relevant guy on the roster is, maybe, Jonas Gray. If the Pats don't improve the spot through the draft, couldn't Blount be looking at 250/1100/10 with negligible receptions? Maybe Mid RB2 value?

He lists:

- 2 maybe DOWN

- 9 DOWN

It isn't clear if this list is for redraft or dynasty, but if you look at the guys you mentioned, most of them either aren't on his list at all, or they're in the "maybe up, maybe down" group.
Well if you add up the total of guys Sig feels have changed values it adds up to 29 RBs who he feels that free agency has changed their values.

You can disagree with his interpretation of individual names on the list, I disagree with his interpretation of the Vikings RB situation where has both AdP AND Jerrick McKinnon's value dropping with only Matt Asiata's value going up. But the point is Sig has a lot of guys who he feels either have changed values or could change values UP or DOWN. He didn't write an article saying nothing has changed.
I didn't say nothing has changed, I just disagreed with your take that these moves will have dramatic impacts on their dynasty values (especially for the specific players you mentioned). Sig seems to agree with that, since he didn't move Murray at all, McCoy is also in the "maybe up, maybe down" group, Bell and Michael aren't even mentioned, etc.

What do people think about Blount? As of now NE's only other relevant guy on the roster is, maybe, Jonas Gray. If the Pats don't improve the spot through the draft, couldn't Blount be looking at 250/1100/10 with negligible receptions? Maybe Mid RB2 value?
I think the Pats will invest a mid-round pick at RB. I also think Blount will turn in numbers similar to Ridley in 2012.

Ned Ryerson said:
Same as it ever was in NE. Nice upside, somebody could go bonkers. Right now, it looks like Blount, but you never know who it will be in September. Ridley was good for a while, Vereen was good for a while, BJGE was good for a while, Gray was good for a while, Blount was good during two stretches. Gray went from a 200 yard, 4TD game to no production for the rest of the year (including some healthy scratches) in the blink of an eye. Blount himself went from 1 yard in the first game of the playoffs to 148 yards in the 2nd game.

NE RBs are like a box of chocolates....

Ya never know what yer gonna get.

Users who are viewing this thread